Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Piggate

Comments

• Options
    should there be some sort of initiation ceremony before you are allowed to join Charlton Life?
  • Options
    Whether or not the story is true (and I am inclined to think it isn't), there are lots of facets about the story that are very important indeed.

1. Lord Ashcroft holds a lot of sway with the Tory Party leadership. He's able to spill beans on people who have been in his pocket for a number of years. That is utterly rotten to the core. Should we be in a position where the Prime Minister is put under pressure (either by being paid or being subjected to salacious gossip) by an unelected person?

2. Did David Cameron know that Ashcroft was a non-dom before the 2010 election? Ashcroft says he did. If so, then Cameron is shown to be untrustworthy at best.

3. If Ashcroft knows of one story about the PM's attempts to curry favour - in this case with a "dining club" full of influential people - there may be other stories waiting to be revealed about him? Is this the thin end of the wedge?

4. There are three newspapers on whom Cameron can rely absolutely. The Times, the Sun and the Daily Mail. (With the Telegraph, probably a close fourth). For one of those to break ranks so shockingly is an uncomfortable situation for the Prime Minister to be in. What is Cameron prepared to do in order to get the newspaper back onside - legal or otherwise?

5. Assuming Ashcroft is now no longer a major Tory Party donor (and, let's face it, that is probably the case now), where is Cameron - and Osbourne, Johnson, May... - searching for the next chunk of cash? And, more importantly, what are they prepared to give away in order to secure it? As long as the donations are above board, declared and from British subjects who pay tax in the UK, then there should be no problem. But, who knows..? To whom - and for what - is the Tory Party next going to sell (what remains of) its soul?

Leaving aside the demoralising effect these stories have on the current crop of youngsters (who pay for their own tuition, are castigated if they break the law and blamed if they can't immediately secure employment straight after university); and leaving aside what the young Cameron did - or didn't do - with his winkle and a pig; the important question (above) still need to be addressed.
  • Options

should there be some sort of initiation ceremony before you are allowed to join Charlton Life?

AFKA was describing the clique initiation earlier on in this thread.

That's why I'm not a member.
  • Options
    Does anyone else think that Lord Ashcroft's revelations make Lord Ashcroft look rather stupid as well?
  • Options

Does anyone else think that Lord Ashcroft's revelations make Lord Ashcroft look rather stupid as well?

You mean even more stupid than paying £8m to get a job from someone who had no intention of giving him a job?
  • Options
    What would you do if this was a rumor about one of your mates? I think that's how we should look at this.

Lets give him a permanent nickname to be officially referred to in the press/PMQ etc and move on.

Suggestions welcome of course. Percy. Wham, bam thank you ham. Twizzler etc.
  • Options
    Addicted said:

What would you do if this was a rumor about one of your mates? I think that's how we should look at this.

Lets give him a permanent nickname to be officially referred to in the press/PMQ etc and move on.

Suggestions welcome of course. Percy. Wham, bam thank you ham. Twizzler etc.

His nickname is Hamface. Always has been, always will.
  • Options
    Stig said:

Ashcroft says he did it. Number ten say he didn't. One of them's telling porkies.

Have we actually had a categoric denial then? Last I heard it was "We don't recognise those allegations" which is a pretty standard non-denial denial.

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    It's possible that the elements of the Tory right wing see Labour as being in such a mess, that they can stir things and put their man in Number 10, without it affecting their chances of winning the next election - instability within a party is never good electorally, but against Corbyn they feel they can get away with it.

Personally I suspect most people will see this story as a non story anyway, we know Cameron has a Eton, Bullingdon type background, and did stupid things when he was young, which he now regrets. The people getting all high and mighty are the people who would never vote for him anyway.
  • Options

On top of sucking off @AFKABARTRAM?
  • Options
    Incidentally, other alleged members of the Piers Gaveston Society include Boris, Tom Parker Bowles, Hugh Grant and Ian Hislop...
  • Options

Let's look at the actual facts here.

A very serious Tory Grandee to the tune of £ 8 million which got him into the House of Lords has decided to stick the knife into the Conservative Prime Minister aided and abetted by the most right wing pro Tory newspaper in the country.

Anyone who thinks that is a non story is barking.

The Conservatives are notoriously ruthless with their leaders once it's been decided that there is need for change. My guess is that the Tory hierarchy has decided exactly that and the machinery is working to replace Cameron. The election was won and it's now the right time with plenty of this parliament to effect change.

The Daily Mail doesn't undermine a Conservative Prime Minister unless they want him out and they wouldn't dare unless there was backing by those at the very top of the party.

We have a pro European PM and therein lays the problem. Cameron doesn't reflect the views of the Tory elite on Europe. The new government has a mandate for change and I believe that Dave is seen now as far too soft.

I expect a more hard line leader in place within a year or so. Osborne is without doubt ruthless enough to do what's required to get power.

That is why this "non story" is very much a story.

Disagree because

(a) the Mail has had it in for Cameron since before he became PM
    (b) Cameron is resigning in a couple of years anyway. Probably after the Euro referendum. The Tories won't get rid of him a year early when he's just won a general election. If this was a concerted attempt by the top of the Tory part (whatever that is) to get rid of Cameron, you'd see a lot of briefings against him by MPs etc. There is literally none. The Mail's influence within the Tory party is hugely overstated. The Telegraph and the Times are much more important because the Tory Party is run by ministers, officials and MPs. Ordinary members have very little influence.
    (c) Osborne's views on Europe are no different to Cameron's. Nor are May's. They will have to go for Boris and he has no chance of being on a shortlist of two chosen by MPs because most of them can't stand him.
    (d) the only think that might stick is if it can be shown that Cameron lied about when he knew of Ashcroft's non-dom status. That might be a resigning offence, but I doubt it.

• Options
    edited September 2015
    Think The Mail's role on this is being way overstated. It's a book promotion and the press release would have gone out to all newspapers. And all are running it. In fact their headlines have been far more lenient than others. The Mail didn't source the story.

The amount of 'analysis' into the inner workings of the Tory party as well, all just based on guesswork. Ashcroft is not a part of the Tory party so is not part of some malevolent mechanism to get rid of EU-Dave. He's hardly made a deal because he'd never get a job in government after this.
  • Options

On top of sucking off @AFKABARTRAM?
    The first rule of sucking off AFKABARTRAM is not to talk about sucking off......

You can forget about your promotion to the clique now.
  • Options

As ye sow, so shall ye reap - what a boar !! Seems there's nothing rasher than to get a hard-on for a lardon. Cameron could well be on borrowed thyme - he might even get the chop. The whole affair just leaves a nasty taste ....

Mind you, it's good to know that in these perilous times of rumbling financial crisis, global warming, Middle East turmoil, the refugees' humanitarian disaster, and here in the UK major issues looming over EU membership and our nation's very future as a union, our senior politicians can pre-occupy themselves with a seemingly much more important matter. What impressive statesmanship to display to the world - really makes you proud.

Still, never mind, eh, Dave - oink oink !!
  • Options
    Chunes said:

Think The Mail's role on this is being way overstated. It's a book promotion and the press release would have gone out to all newspapers. And all are running it. In fact their headlines have been far more lenient than others. The Mail didn't source the story.

The amount of 'analysis' into the inner workings of the Tory party as well, all just based on guesswork. Ashcroft is not a part of the Tory party so is not part of some malevolent mechanism to get rid of EU-Dave. He's hardly made a deal because he'd never get a job in government after this.

It's the Mail's involvement that is key not irrelevant. Forget the pig. Most people will just take it for what it is. An embarrassing act by a young posh boy which just casts a bit of doubt on his statesmanship credentials.

The fact remains that a very important and senior Tory has seen fit to undermine the current Tory PM. Even to the point of stating that Cameron knew about his Non Dom status before he has said he did. That is very serious if it's viewed that Cameron did nothing because of the person was Ashcroft who was a big Tory cash source.

The Daily Mail knows that this is embarrassing for Cameron and potentially lethal. In any case it has set out to undermine him. Not the act of a usually very friendly newspaper. They have a reason and it's not to show Dave in a good light.
  • Options
    But Ashcroft has been attacking and undermining Cameron for 5 years via his website Conservative Home. This is not a new development.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    At a younger age than Cameron allegedly was sticking his dick in a dead pigs head for a laugh, I was sweeping up parts of dead pigs off the floor at the mmmMattisons meat product factory to pay my mortgage. I think it's indicative of his total lack of respect/understanding for anything outside his experience.
  • Options

Chunes said:

It's the Mail's involvement that is key not irrelevant. Forget the pig. Most people will just take it for what it is. An embarrassing act by a young posh boy which just casts a bit of doubt on his statesmanship credentials.

The fact remains that a very important and senior Tory has seen fit to undermine the current Tory PM. Even to the point of stating that Cameron knew about his Non Dom status before he has said he did. That is very serious if it's viewed that Cameron did nothing because of the person was Ashcroft who was a big Tory cash source.

The Daily Mail knows that this is embarrassing for Cameron and potentially lethal. In any case it has set out to undermine him. Not the act of a usually very friendly newspaper. They have a reason and it's not to show Dave in a good light.
    Sorry I have to disagree. Ashcroft isn't an important or senior Tory because he left the party.

The Daily Mail has to report it or face calls of extreme bias. And they're the only newspaper that haven't clearly stated the story in their headlines so they've given Cameron the easiest ride by far.

People have a built-in tendency to see patterns where there are none. This isn't a conspiracy theory, the man just f*cked a pig.
  • Options

At a younger age than Cameron allegedly was sticking his dick in a dead pigs head for a laugh, I was sweeping up parts of dead pigs off the floor at the mmmMattisons meat product factory to pay my mortgage. I think it's indicative of his total lack of respect/understanding for anything outside his experience.

I broke an egg over someones head once when I was younger.
    Does that mean I have no respect or understanding for people who work in the poultry industry now?

Sounds to me you are bitter that you had to go out to work, whilst others went to university.
  • Options
    Chunes said:

Chunes said:

Sorry I have to disagree. Ashcroft isn't an important or senior Tory because he left the party.

The Daily Mail has to report it or face calls of extreme bias. And they're the only newspaper that haven't clearly stated the story in their headlines so they've given Cameron the easiest ride by far.

People have a built-in tendency to see patterns where there are none. This isn't a conspiracy theory, the man just f*cked a pig.
    The Mail has paid Aschroft £50K for the serialisation rights. It's been their front page two days in a row.

• Options
    It's a disappointment. Total non-story

CAMERON FUCKS PIG

Social media screamed at me

Turns out this is not the case, and is a tale about some 'alleged' high jinks or horseplay a few decades ago. Even what has been alleged is not a crime and even it it were true it's a young posho doing what young, obnoxious poshos do
  • Options
    Chunes said:

Chunes said:

The Daily Mail paid up to £100k to be the ones to serialise it... they're not just "reporting a press release".
  • Options
    Today's front-page headline is probably more worrying for Cameron. First, because it's a story about him being at a party where cocaine was taken, while he was Prime Minister. And second, because it's in the fiercely-loyal Sun.

I don't feel sorry for Cameron - I never will - but he must be worried about what he sees next if he looks at a newspaper or watches the news; first the piggate, now cocaine, and all the while Osbourne is getting headlines on his trip to China.

I wonder who will last longer as party leader, Cameron or Corbyn?
  • Options
    Carter said:

It's a disappointment. Total non-story

CAMERON FUCKS PIG

Social media screamed at me

Turns out this is not the case, and is a tale about some 'alleged' high jinks or horseplay a few decades ago. Even what has been alleged is not a crime and even it it were true it's a young posho doing what young, obnoxious poshos do

It's got feck all to do with the pig.

• Options
    Chizz said:

Today's front-page headline is probably more worrying for Cameron. First, because it's a story about him being at a party where cocaine was taken, while he was Prime Minister. And second, because it's in the fiercely-loyal Sun.

I don't feel sorry for Cameron - I never will - but he must be worried about what he sees next if he looks at a newspaper or watches the news; first the piggate, now cocaine, and all the while Osbourne is getting headlines on his trip to China.

I wonder who will last longer as party leader, Cameron or Corbyn?

Out of interest, and I haven't read the story, but why is him being at a party where someone took cocaine an issue?

I bet we've all been at parties where some bloke has popped off to the gents for a sneaky line while we have no idea it's even happening.

Or is the paper insinuating he actually took cocaine at said party?
  • Options
    Cocaine ! Pigs Snort ! I'll leave you to make the connection.