Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Season-ticket strike to bring the owner to the table

Comments

• My view is that we should consider asking supporters to withhold their season ticket renewals for the time being until we get some clarity about what is going on with our club.

Personally I have no confidence in any of the people running it, including the leadership team as well as the board, and season tickets are the one lever we can pull without being accused of damaging the team. It's just an idea and I'd welcome people's input.

How about defining what you mean by clarity.

Fair question. I think clarity will emerge over the next week in terms of what happens on the pitch as well what comes out of the boardroom. In the meantime, I hope to be able to give you a more substantive response in 48 hours time, once a few of us have put their heads together. That will be of more use than my view alone, because as NYA rightly points out I don't speak for everyone and I don't pretend to do so.

Airman - still awaiting your response
  • My view is that we should consider asking supporters to withhold their season ticket renewals for the time being until we get some clarity about what is going on with our club.

Personally I have no confidence in any of the people running it, including the leadership team as well as the board, and season tickets are the one lever we can pull without being accused of damaging the team. It's just an idea and I'd welcome people's input.

Not going to happen. Onto Plan B...
  • It's easy to stay away when the club is bottom of the league. I wonder if any of you would come back if we got promoted to the Premier League next season. Would your principles stay the same? The players need your support more than ever right now. As said on this thread, we're all in this together.
  • What way is our club being run into the ground under RD

Can someone please tell me
  • The training ground is being upgraded and, I believe, further players are planned. We have a bright young coach and the players are responding. The support on Saturday was superb. Give up this trivial protest - it's embarrassing.
  • NugNug
    edited March 2014

The training ground is being upgraded and, I believe, further players are planned. We have a bright young coach and the players are responding. The support on Saturday was superb. Give up this trivial protest - it's embarrassing.

Isn't JR in his late 50's? Maybe we had a bright young manager?
  • He is 56.
  • Either BigAndy has poor eye sight or he must be about 80 himself :-)
  • The training ground is being upgraded and, I believe, further players are planned. We have a bright young coach and the players are responding. The support on Saturday was superb. Give up this trivial protest - it's embarrassing.

What? You mean Riga's gone already?

How do you know why the players are responding? Its probably new manager syndrome.
  • Either BigAndy has poor eye sight or he must be about 80 himself :-)

Poor eyes!
  • Sponsored links:

• Hex said:

The training ground is being upgraded and, I believe, further players are planned. We have a bright young coach and the players are responding. The support on Saturday was superb. Give up this trivial protest - it's embarrassing.

What? You mean Riga's gone already?

How do you know why the players are responding? Its probably new manager syndrome.
    You could be right but it's an easy thing to say... Maybe he's made them believe in themselves a little more?
  • Two goalless draws and that justifies the comment 'the players are responding' Bit of a leap of faith I think.
  • Attacking football and we didn't score a goal vs two teams that were for the taking, I'll give him more time but the blind optimism is more out of hope for the future than genuine change, in terms of the way the future is not looking bright it's been posted about enough but people shun it off because they don't want it to happen, being pro-active and taking a stand is what footballs about, but I will want more proof before I really really dislike this regime.
  • Two goalless draws and that justifies the comment 'the players are responding' Bit of a leap of faith I think.

I've been to both games... Morro and Dervite haven't kicked long compared to before JR - Hamer is kicking less and looking for a red shirt, Wiggins is getting further forward.. Small steps but better in my book - that's all I meant by "responding" - just a view from the sidelines.

I'm guessing they are not happy but don't yet know why.

• I'm keeping an open mind on how things will pan out. Jimenez & Slater took over when we were in the mix for promotion, sacked the manager and appointed Powell. After a decent start, we dropped down to 13th. Many fans on here were calling for Powell to go, yet he assembled a squad over the summer to win the title. I'm sure not many of us saw that coming at the time.

I still think we'll hang on the our championship status (just about), so this summer will be massive for the club regarding of the direction we'll be going.

I have been known to protest in the past of course...................

From what I hear the last two performances HAVE been better, but you get points for wins not performances.

With the same squad that Powell had Riga will get the same results.
  • I'm striking because er.....hmmm....someone said its a good idea? Not sure to be honest, whats it all about? I'm confused.
  • Will you form picket lines outside the ground to stop the blacklegs going in?
  • I had a conversation with a friend today, and I hope he does not mind me alluding to the analogy he made.
    Loads of people say we support Charlton Athletic first and foremost, and it does not matter who is the manager and who is running things.
    Would we say that if, for example, Kim Ill Jong the 3rd bought us, and filled all positions with Korean Army death squads? Of course not, or err, would we? No of course we bloody wouldn't.
    We are a zillion miles from that stupid example, but the point I am making is that for each of us there is a line to be drawn somewhere, and many have reached that line today.
    kings hill addick make the point that to all intents and purposes Roland has clearly declared that we are (to all intents and purposes) the feeder club for Standard Liege, or at the least subservient to his favourite child.
    Roland well knows he is exploiting the loyalty that Charlton fans have, not going would be a massive wrench, at least it would be for me. So Roland has me by the S&C's.
    However, as long as I stay well within the law, it would also be my right to attend matches and heap as much criticism, vitriol, and vituperation on Jose Riga, and those future Standard Liege stars as I like. I may not be alone either.
    I am not saying I will attend and be nasty, but it is going to take a fair bit of healing and persuasion, and right now, as KHA has pointed out, we are officially the feeder club to Standard Liege.
    Our future is to be a copy of Crewe Alexandra and continually churn out decent players for other teams whilst getting nowhere ourselves.

Utter crack post Seth Plum.
    Let the pied piper lead all you plastic fans out of the Valley for good and let the rest of the fan base get behind the boys. It's possibly a dark period for the club looming and we need support for the players and staff, not militants and easily led sheep. Man up.

I don't remember saying that.

Interestingly there is also a user on here calling himself KHA, and that is not me!
  • Sponsored links:

• I had a conversation with a friend today, and I hope he does not mind me alluding to the analogy he made.
    Loads of people say we support Charlton Athletic first and foremost, and it does not matter who is the manager and who is running things.
    Would we say that if, for example, Kim Ill Jong the 3rd bought us, and filled all positions with Korean Army death squads? Of course not, or err, would we? No of course we bloody wouldn't.
    We are a zillion miles from that stupid example, but the point I am making is that for each of us there is a line to be drawn somewhere, and many have reached that line today.
    kings hill addick make the point that to all intents and purposes Roland has clearly declared that we are (to all intents and purposes) the feeder club for Standard Liege, or at the least subservient to his favourite child.
    Roland well knows he is exploiting the loyalty that Charlton fans have, not going would be a massive wrench, at least it would be for me. So Roland has me by the S&C's.
    However, as long as I stay well within the law, it would also be my right to attend matches and heap as much criticism, vitriol, and vituperation on Jose Riga, and those future Standard Liege stars as I like. I may not be alone either.
    I am not saying I will attend and be nasty, but it is going to take a fair bit of healing and persuasion, and right now, as KHA has pointed out, we are officially the feeder club to Standard Liege.
    Our future is to be a copy of Crewe Alexandra and continually churn out decent players for other teams whilst getting nowhere ourselves.

Utter crack post Seth Plum.
    Let the pied piper lead all you plastic fans out of the Valley for good and let the rest of the fan base get behind the boys. It's possibly a dark period for the club looming and we need support for the players and staff, not militants and easily led sheep. Man up.

I don't remember saying that.

Interestingly there is also a user on here calling himself KHA, and that is not me!
    I think he means the addick of kings hill............fucking splitter

;-)

From what I hear the last two performances HAVE been better, but you get points for wins not performances.

With the same squad that Powell had Riga will get the same results.
    They were average performances against two not very good teams, wait until we play somebody who is decent. My fear is we shortly have 3 very tough away games on the bounce that will tell us how good/bad we are.
  • I am more excited about the future of our club than I have been for a couple of years.
    Under Tony Jiminez, administration and a 10 point deduction was almost a certainty. Now we are financially viable, new players are arriving and I think that we have finally turned the corner. We still have a long way to go but I think that the club looks more stable than we have for a long time.
  • I am more excited about the future of our club than I have been for a couple of years.
    Under Tony Jiminez, administration and a 10 point deduction was almost a certainty. Now we are financially viable, new players are arriving and I think that we have finally turned the corner. We still have a long way to go but I think that the club looks more stable than we have for a long time.

Why would we have almost certainly gone into administration? The vast majority of the unsecured debt is/was owed to 'insiders' - what incentive would they have had to have forced the club into administration?

The administration prospect is a fallacy in my view, and frankly no different from the situation towards the end under Murray's leadership when administration was dangled in front of fans as an implicit threat when it was never a realistic prospect in my view.
  • Newyorkaddick,
    You may be right, but it was my understanding that administration was a very real possibility under the previous ownership. I am sure that I have read on CL, that Kevin Cash, or whoever was the financial backer was going to withdraw funding the club at some time during the 2013/14 season, and without new backers the club would be placed into administration.
  • edited March 2014
    But I think that was the point - they couldn't cease funding completely because in administration they'd be lucky to receive back 5-10% of the £15-20m they were owed, ergo administration was highly unlikely so long as their money hadn't literally run out.

I'm not sure it ever was and many including myself have been consistent and clear on that point. We didn't have to wait until last Tuesday. The club has done its talking out on the pitch and we can move on now to look at the next chapter in this great club of ours.

In retrospect I think the Trust decision to survey the fans about their thoughts at the time was an appropriate response at a time of great uncertainty.

My view is that we should consider asking supporters to withhold their season ticket renewals for the time being until we get some clarity about what is going on with our club.

I'm afraid you don't speak for all fans AB, and indeed I'd say there was far more clarity now regarding the club than there was during the whole of the TJ/MS era. Whether or not you like that clarity is another matter.
    I've never claimed that I do. However, I do know that there is deep concern about what's going on and I believe that the club is going to be damaged by it. I'm not going to sit and watch that happen without trying to influence it, but this is an idea and if others have better ones then bring them on.
    My own belief is that the club is in a better place now than at any point since Curbishley left the club!

How about defining what you mean by clarity.

Fair question. I think clarity will emerge over the next week in terms of what happens on the pitch as well what comes out of the boardroom. In the meantime, I hope to be able to give you a more substantive response in 48 hours time, once a few of us have put their heads together. That will be of more use than my view alone, because as NYA rightly points out I don't speak for everyone and I don't pretend to do so.
    Airman - still awaiting your response

Did you get one?
    How is the whole season ticket not buying thing go?
  • Addickted can tell you the answer. He's had his instructions.