Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Season-ticket strike to bring the owner to the table

Comments

• masicat said:

We as a family go back to 1920. We currently hold 4 season tickets and between us we see most games. We had a meeting tonight and have decided to exit supporting Charlton. End of an era for us. We just feel our money could be better spent elsewhere.
    Won't be on here and we have decided to all go to the valley tomorrow as a farewell. It's just not our club anymore and we will now go to watch Bromley.

Why the seeming change of mind?

You told me to "grow up" on another thread when I said I had decided to boycott tomorrow's match.
  • masicat said:

We as a family go back to 1920. We currently hold 4 season tickets and between us we see most games. We had a meeting tonight and have decided to exit supporting Charlton. End of an era for us. We just feel our money could be better spent elsewhere.
    Won't be on here and we have decided to all go to the valley tomorrow as a farewell. It's just not our club anymore and we will now go to watch Bromley.

In which case you won't be missed.....bye.
  • Having calmed down, I know I will always go to Charlton and if (and I don't think it will happen) if we look like we can win tomorrow I will be cheering the lads on. But I do want to register my unhappiness - if a miracle happens, I feel it will be in spite of the owner rather than because of him.
  • LenGlover said:

masicat said:

You told me to "grow up" on another thread when I said I had decided to boycott tomorrow's match.

I might be taking the piss !

No, let me stop the banter, I am.
  • Once again, to everyone, GROW UP.
  • I will always go I love Charlton it's in my blood.
  • So what happens if we start doing well, do you think Roland will sell all the players so his feeder club don't threaten Liege do me a favour he wants money, and money is premier league.
  • Let's say you are Ben Hamer sitting on a nice two year contract. SL are doing better than us and RD fancies shipping you over to Belgium for a season. You are contracted to Charlton. You don't want to go. So you tell RD to eff off I'm staying put in good old blighty. He can't do anything. He can't force you to go. Ok you may end up not playing but you'd still be getting paid and still living in England. People have short memories. We were linked with a SL midfielder, Cisse?, and he turned us down. I can't see many CAFC players fancying a stint in Leige and especially none of first team calibre. This is all pie in the sky in my opinion.
  • So what happens if we start doing well, do you think Roland will sell all the players so his feeder club don't threaten Liege do me a favour he wants money, and money is premier league.

Let's say you are Ben Hamer sitting on a nice two year contract. SL are doing better than us and RD fancies shipping you over to Belgium for a season. You are contracted to Charlton. You don't want to go. So you tell RD to eff off I'm staying put in good old blighty. He can't do anything. He can't force you to go. Ok you may end up not playing but you'd still be getting paid and still living in England. People have short memories. We were linked with a SL midfielder, Cisse?, and he turned us down. I can't see many CAFC players fancying a stint in Leige and especially none of first team calibre. This is all pie in the sky in my opinion.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/26418684

46 seconds and 2.48 seconds tells you about the intentions.

• I had a conversation with a friend today, and I hope he does not mind me alluding to the analogy he made.
    Loads of people say we support Charlton Athletic first and foremost, and it does not matter who is the manager and who is running things.
    Would we say that if, for example, Kim Ill Jong the 3rd bought us, and filled all positions with Korean Army death squads? Of course not, or err, would we? No of course we bloody wouldn't.
    We are a zillion miles from that stupid example, but the point I am making is that for each of us there is a line to be drawn somewhere, and many have reached that line today.
    kings hill addick make the point that to all intents and purposes Roland has clearly declared that we are (to all intents and purposes) the feeder club for Standard Liege, or at the least subservient to his favourite child.
    Roland well knows he is exploiting the loyalty that Charlton fans have, not going would be a massive wrench, at least it would be for me. So Roland has me by the S&C's.
    However, as long as I stay well within the law, it would also be my right to attend matches and heap as much criticism, vitriol, and vituperation on Jose Riga, and those future Standard Liege stars as I like. I may not be alone either.
    I am not saying I will attend and be nasty, but it is going to take a fair bit of healing and persuasion, and right now, as KHA has pointed out, we are officially the feeder club to Standard Liege.
    Our future is to be a copy of Crewe Alexandra and continually churn out decent players for other teams whilst getting nowhere ourselves.

Utter crack post Seth Plum.
    Let the pied piper lead all you plastic fans out of the Valley for good and let the rest of the fan base get behind the boys. It's possibly a dark period for the club looming and we need support for the players and staff, not militants and easily led sheep. Man up.
  • Sponsored links:

• I had a conversation with a friend today, and I hope he does not mind me alluding to the analogy he made.
    Loads of people say we support Charlton Athletic first and foremost, and it does not matter who is the manager and who is running things.
    Would we say that if, for example, Kim Ill Jong the 3rd bought us, and filled all positions with Korean Army death squads? Of course not, or err, would we? No of course we bloody wouldn't.
    We are a zillion miles from that stupid example, but the point I am making is that for each of us there is a line to be drawn somewhere, and many have reached that line today.
    kings hill addick make the point that to all intents and purposes Roland has clearly declared that we are (to all intents and purposes) the feeder club for Standard Liege, or at the least subservient to his favourite child.
    Roland well knows he is exploiting the loyalty that Charlton fans have, not going would be a massive wrench, at least it would be for me. So Roland has me by the S&C's.
    However, as long as I stay well within the law, it would also be my right to attend matches and heap as much criticism, vitriol, and vituperation on Jose Riga, and those future Standard Liege stars as I like. I may not be alone either.
    I am not saying I will attend and be nasty, but it is going to take a fair bit of healing and persuasion, and right now, as KHA has pointed out, we are officially the feeder club to Standard Liege.
    Our future is to be a copy of Crewe Alexandra and continually churn out decent players for other teams whilst getting nowhere ourselves.

Utter crack post Seth Plum.
    Let the pied piper lead all you plastic fans out of the Valley for good and let the rest of the fan base get behind the boys. It's possibly a dark period for the club looming and we need support for the players and staff, not militants and easily led sheep. Man up.

Surely you mean 'cack', or have the nose goodies got you excited?

• But what clarity will you expect? Whatever is said now you wouldn't believe it anyway. The only proof will be what happens on the field and for that we'll have to wait and see.
  • Let's say you are Ben Hamer sitting on a nice two year contract. SL are doing better than us and RD fancies shipping you over to Belgium for a season. You are contracted to Charlton. You don't want to go. So you tell RD to eff off I'm staying put in good old blighty. He can't do anything. He can't force you to go. Ok you may end up not playing but you'd still be getting paid and still living in England. People have short memories. We were linked with a SL midfielder, Cisse?, and he turned us down. I can't see many CAFC players fancying a stint in Leige and especially none of first team calibre. This is all pie in the sky in my opinion.

Maybe. But my contract at work said they could move me anywhere they wanted. (That's how I ended up in Newcastle for two years). Why should any new contracts for football players be any different? A clause saying you can be required to play anywhere in the Duchâtelet empire - take it or leave it - is all that's needed.
  • Players wont sign those sort of contracts if they have an alternative.
  • Players wont sign those sort of contracts if they have an alternative.

Yeah, but unless you're a superstar, there may not be an alternative.
  • masicat said:

LenGlover said:

masicat said:

I might be taking the piss !

No, let me stop the banter, I am.
    I am retracting my comment and issuing you with an apology. Having read the article in The Evening Standard today I now fully grasp the fact we have a real twat owning our football club. I am going tonight , but nothing short of a massive turnaround in our fortunes is good enough. If they play that crappy goalkeeper then they can keep my season ticket. Not idle threats, I will not go.

Once again, please accept my apology Len.
  • Sorry, Daily Mail.
  • masicat said:

Once again, to everyone, GROW UP.

Physician heal thyself.

• Rob said:

But what clarity will you expect? Whatever is said now you wouldn't believe it anyway. The only proof will be what happens on the field and for that we'll have to wait and see.

This exactly! Compared to the last regime, in particular, the current owner has, if anything, been showing signs of being a real self-publicist!

He keeps saying that we are not a feeder club to Liege. He keeps saying that he wants us to grow. He keeps saying that it is the manager's job to pick the tea. He keeps saying that his vision for the club is to be financially stable and to play its own youngsters and we should not expect him to splash out vast sums of money in a desperate bid to buy promotion.

If people either do not like, do not believe, or choose to ignore what he has said, then that is their prerogative, but I really do not see what else he can do on the communication front.
  • I haven't got a clue why the current owner bought Charlton - seems to be intent on destroying his investment.
    Can see us struggling in L1 next year with a load of third rate loan players.

The club is in danger of losing its identity.
  • Sponsored links:

• I am not renewing until I understand just what, in the name of God, is going on at my, and our Club. The events since January have been very confusing-there is a lack of communication and strategy for the RD led Charlton.
    Never felt as depressed as now following Charlton-I have been here since Selhurst etc.
  • So 3 days after the sacking of Powell. Is this still going on? Anyone changed their mind?
  • I will be selling my last year of 5 year ST and not renewing in future years until some clarity is restored. Will soon lose interest in our results because they are immaterial. If they are immaterial to RD, they are to us because no long term success will be aimed at achieving. You are being taken for mugs if you keep departing for money to follow a club that will have no resemblance to ours bar the ground
  • I won't be renewing and I know others that won't
  • masicat said:

Sorry, Daily Mail.

Masicat come back - I enjoy your posts.

• I've got a five year ticket so it is a moot point but I have renewed my son's (and yes, he wanted it renewed) and would have renewed my own if I had to do so.

So yes I will be there come rain or shine, wealth or health allowing, but I respect and support those who want to make a statement, who want better for the club, who will not just shrug their shoulders and accept what they don't like, who ask for more information.

I do have to laugh at the statements such as "Man up", "Grow up" etc etc. What do they actually mean? Isn't Man up meant to be standing up for yourself and what you believe in? Don't grown ups act as, well, adults and that means, to me at least, taking an active role in society, politics, their community etc and here that mean Charlton Athletic.

If you don't like that or what people are suggesting then argue against it, make a rational case or suggest an alternative but don't hide behind glib, meaningless cliches found in sub-standard gangster films or the playground like "man up".
  • I hope that everyone who is not renewing tells the club why. I will write and explain why I intend to become primarily an away supporter in future in terms of attending matches - always made the effort to get to The Valley in the past, and sometimes take up hospitality/ sponsorship, because this was my way of putting money into the club instead of having a S/T. RD has already shown he doesn't give a stuff about my personal investment in his new plaything, so I'll line the coffers of some Northern away teams instead, whilst still showing my support for players on the pitch.

I'll decide what to do about VG when I see what RD does with the Academy...
  • edited March 2014
    Personally I don't think withholding season ticket income is the right way to express our concerns on all this. We didn't like the way TJ and Slater ran our club, we may not like the way RD is intending to run it either, but it struck me this morning that this might be an opportunity for all of us if we show why Charlton is different from other clubs.

Unless another apparent white knight pops up, I suspect the only way out of this is for Charlton to be threatening a Premiership promotion and start to wrest the highest priority from SL in RD's network, or of course by becoming a truly saleable asset. We can contribute to this, by backing the club, backing the manager, backing the team - relentlessly, and finding ways of moving the vision along whilst preserving what makes Charlton Charlton.

If we do get thrown inadequate players and Riga's forced to play them - well, we could boo them all until we're in the Conference, we're ground-sharing with Welling and the Valley is derelict once more. Not sure that's the answer. We could instead back each player relentlessly, help them find a level of confidence that takes them to a different level of performance (or club) and that helps the team produce more than the sum of its parts. This, after all, is what Curbishley and Powell both achieved by their own means - they're not available right now, so our response needs to be different.

This needs to be coupled with a diplomatic approach to influencing RD, to understand what he's looking for from Charlton and his network and see how we can help to maximise this without compromising too much of our tradition as an autonomous competitive English football club. I genuinely don't see the long term benefit to RD of Charlton being just a nursery/feeder club, given how much it costs to keep us going, and the club's potential.

I think there's a bigger game unwinding here. I'm certain we won't like much of the journey, although who knows where it might take us, but we can either stand by and let it happen, create violent opposition, or work with the owner to find a constructive solution that doesn't drive a wedge between him and the supporters. A campaign doesn't need to be a war of attrition - I think there are too many unknowns for us to plot accordingly anyway - and I'm convinced there is a real win-win available to us if we want to look and work at it. Let's face it, RD has his ruthless streak, evident in the sacking of Powell, evident in the handling of early days at Liege, and that will I suspect otherwise win out over our hopes and dreams.

I renewed today. José Riga's Red and White Army; much as there's a twinge of pain in saying it, it's a fact. And it does scan quite well.

Up the Addicks!
  • pro's : paid for the dome otherwise we'd be playing catch-up until next Xmas, committed to spending around 800k on the pitch in the summer, bettering plans to update the academy, many season ticket prices reduced, brought in some new players con's : sacked CP, sold Yann/Dale, a few season ticket prices increased.

so far 50/50 for me. I will wait and see how this plan works out. At least there is a plan. Under TJ we were drifting towards oblivion. Too much hysteria at the moment. It could go either way but giving benefit of the doubt at the moment. Not renewing? Not remotely an option.
  • pro's : paid for the dome otherwise we'd be playing catch-up until next Xmas, committed to spending around 800k on the pitch in the summer, bettering plans to update the academy, many season ticket prices reduced, brought in some new players con's : sacked CP, sold Yann/Dale, a few season ticket prices increased.

so far 50/50 for me. I will wait and see how this plan works out. At least there is a plan. Under TJ we were drifting towards oblivion. Too much hysteria at the moment. It could go either way but giving benefit of the doubt at the moment. Not renewing? Not remotely an option.

Agreed - lets see how this pans out