Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Latest Films

Comments

• Off_it said:
    Solidgone said:
    Only watched the opening scene in Netflix's version of "All Quiet on the Western Front"

But it has all the makings of an outstanding version of the classic
    I’ve just watched it and i think its well worth watching.
    Yeah watched all of it now... Excellent version

Love how they don't shy away, or try to romanticise from the horrors from the Western Front.

Only thing I didnt really like was the ending, knew how it was gonna happen from watching the other versions, but timings etc. felt so cheesy and unnecessarily dramatic in this one.
    Also thought it was weird how one minute the Germans were attacking the French trench in fierce hand-to-hand combat and then, "Righto lads, that's 11 o clock, we can all stop now" and soldiers of both side were just wandering up and down the same trenches. 

I liked the start though. The re-use of uniforms is one aspect I'd never really thought about before and it was quite poignant when the main character found the name of the bloke at the start in his "new" tunic. 
    Yeah there were some really good touches, and thought the inclusion of the Armistice was well done as a story - The whole ending like you describe, just weird though, as there never was any genuine attacks prior to 11am.
  • Not a new film as such but watched Last Night in Soho at the weekend and enjoyed it. It was a bit darker than I anticipated but a good story that kept you guessing and the girlfriend enjoyed it as well! Would probably happily rewatch in a few years once i'd forgotten the story a bit!
  • Oh Matt Smith was v good in it as well, though he kept drifting in and out of being cockney which was hilarious.
  • LIVING

Film about a veteran civil servant coming to terms with his terminal condition and trying to make the most of his remaining time. Bill Nighy is superb in the main role with an excellent supporting cast. Beautifully shot and funny as well as moving. Loved the soundtrack.

Really enjoyed this. 9/10
  • LIVING

Film about a veteran civil servant coming to terms with his terminal condition and trying to make the most of his remaining time. Bill Nighy is superb in the main role with an excellent supporting cast. Beautifully shot and funny as well as moving. Loved the soundtrack.

Strangely doesn’t seem to be showing in many cinemas. 
  • LIVING

Strangely doesn’t seem to be showing in many cinemas. 
    Saw it at Cineworld - not destined to be a blockbuster.
  • It’s made it to the Picture House in Campbeltown by the Mull of Kintyre so we’re off to see it later this week. 
  • edited November 2022
    Off_it said:
    I wish I'd seen the comments on here about The Power of The Dog before I started watching it - about an hour and 45 minutes ago.

It's beautifully shot, but it's the slowest and dullest film I can remember watching in a long while - possibly ever!
    My thoughts exactly; MsAA loved it, it bored me to going to bed and reading a book.
  • Off_it said:
    Solidgone said:
    Only watched the opening scene in Netflix's version of "All Quiet on the Western Front"

But it has all the makings of an outstanding version of the classic
    I’ve just watched it and i think its well worth watching.
    Yeah watched all of it now... Excellent version

Love how they don't shy away, or try to romanticise from the horrors from the Western Front.

Only thing I didnt really like was the ending, knew how it was gonna happen from watching the other versions, but timings etc. felt so cheesy and unnecessarily dramatic in this one.
    Also thought it was weird how one minute the Germans were attacking the French trench in fierce hand-to-hand combat and then, "Righto lads, that's 11 o clock, we can all stop now" and soldiers of both side were just wandering up and down the same trenches. 

I liked the start though. The re-use of uniforms is one aspect I'd never really thought about before and it was quite poignant when the main character found the name of the bloke at the start in his "new" tunic. 
    When the Germans and Italians were evacuating their armies from Sicily over the Messina Strait to Italy, they did their biggest efforts around 4-5pm each day because that was when the RAF were having tea.  Or so I've read.
  • Sponsored links:

• Aisha, opening film of https://www.irishfilmlondon.com/.  Well made, excellent performances all round, Letitia Wright owns the part of Aisha, but to say it is not a feel good film is a massive understatement.
  • Off_it said:
    I wish I'd seen the comments on here about The Power of The Dog before I started watching it - about an hour and 45 minutes ago.

It's beautifully shot, but it's the slowest and dullest film I can remember watching in a long while - possibly ever!
    My thoughts exactly; MsAA loved it, it bored me to going to bed and reading a book.
    I was interested in this film but never got around to watching it. Now reading your comments I don't think I'll like it either. Two hours of time saved!😆
  • Jessie said:
    Off_it said:

I was interested in this film but never got around to watching it. Now reading your comments I don't think I'll like it either. Two hours of time saved!😆
    Good decision, Jessie ! 

Hope all is well with you  x
  • Jessie said:
    Off_it said:

I remember quite enjoying it, but you've really got to have cleared your to do list before you devote the time to it.
  • Jessie said:
    Off_it said:

Good decision, Jessie ! 

Hope all is well with you  x
    Thank you Jean! I'm going to enjoy the World Cup which can be a good distraction for me. 🙂
  • edited November 2022
    The new All Quiet on the Western Front is absolutely brutal. Really well made.
    Watched it last night.  Brutal as you say but beautifully shot and a great leading performance from Felix Kammerer
  • Tried to watch Amsterdam but it was appalling. Why is it that films with so many good actors end up being shit?
  • Glovepup said:
    Watched the trailer for this the other day, looking forward to seeing it but think it'll be an emotional ride
  • I was hesitant about watching Bullet Train because of the reviews but I am glad I did - really stupid and silly stuff but thoroughly enjoyable. The cast really do sell it (there's one actor I thought was awful, but she wasn't in it much). Particularly Pitt, Tyree-Henry and Taylor-Johnson. 

Also, Pinocchio. Absolutely brilliant stuff from Guillermo Del Toro. So much better than the Zemeckis/ Hanks/ Disney version. So much more depth having set it against the backdrop of the war and fascism. It's a far better script. Where Disney went for a shot-for-shot remake of a dated cartoon that ultimately feels hollow, Del Toro has re-written the story far more effectively and made something incredibly imaginative. 
  • Sponsored links:

• The new All Quiet on the Western Front is absolutely brutal. Really well made.
    Watched All Quiet on the Western Front earlier. Thought it was incredible, maybe the best war film I’ve ever seen. You’re right about it being brutal though, it’s very dark. 
  • edited December 2022
    Watched 'This is Christmas' last night on Now (its a Sky original), about a guy trying to get commuters who he sees every day (but who never talk to each other) to go for a Christmas drink together.

Nothing spectacular, a couple of dodgy accents, very predictable... but I really enjoyed it, thought the characters were very good and it was a more realistic slow burn with nice little payoffs, rather than too grand and schmaltzy.

Would recommend it.

Lots of it takes place on a Southeastern train, too, so it's very Charlton.
  • Watched The Wonder’ on Netflix. I’m a big fan of Florence Pugh but, overall, I found the film a bit disappointing.
  • I’m Your Man’ - 8/10

A German comedy, in which a female scientist agrees to live with a humanoid robot - designed to meet all her physical and emotional needs - for three weeks in order to fund her research. 

A very unusual and interesting story, with some very funny one-liners and a bravura performance from Dan Stevens as the smirking robot (he of Downton Abbey fame). Recommended.
  • Pinnochio. Very odd film, typical Del Toro in the main, not sure who the audience is though, as it's too scary for the little kids and a bit twee for the an adult audience. 
    5/10
  • View from the Top (2003)

This isn’t a new film obviously and was described at the time by the critics as “famously terrible”. So I was drawn to watch it.  It’s star Gwyneth Paltrow labelled it as “the worst film ever made”.  But the movie inspired Richard Ayoade to write 2019 book about it.

The story is basically about a girl from small town America who becomes an air hostess.  Her first flight suffered turbulence and Gwyneth Paltrow running down the aisle screaming Help.  It’s that sort of film.

If you’ve really got nothing better to do ……….
  • View from the Top (2003)

This isn’t a new film obviously and was described at the time by the critics as “famously terrible”. So I was drawn to watch it.  It’s star Gwyneth Paltrow labelled it as “the worst film ever made”.  But the movie inspired Richard Ayoade to write 2019 book about it.

The story is basically about a girl from small town America who becomes an air hostess.  Her first flight suffered turbulence and Gwyneth Paltrow running down the aisle screaming Help.  It’s that sort of film.

If you’ve really got nothing better to do ……….
    If I had nothing better to do than watch that, I think it's time to top myself.
  • My Christmas Movie thread will start tomorrow. (sat)
    Yaaay!!  Great news Beds.