Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Latest Films

Comments

• Options
    JiMMy 85 said:
    As much as I enjoyed watching it I found Thor was just a bit too comedic. I don't like Hemsworth's one-note comedy schtick that he discovered on Ghostbusters, which doesn't help. He's charming but limited when he does that. 

I do think Waititi's stuff is generally very funny ("I'm perishing!" made me laugh out loud) and while I respect the mix of comedy and drama he went for, I'm not convinced it worked. It doesn't help that this phase is such a mess that I pinned hopes on Thor bringing us back to the feel of the last phases. When the Guardians disappeared inside 10 minutes that was the end of that. Same with Kat Dennings to a lesser extent given that she was in WandaVision yet there was still no connection made. 

This phase has been awful IMO. Ms Marvel is probably the best thing they've done albeit for different reasons than I would have expected. 
    I haven't really followed the news, or the latest Marvel releases, but what do you make to the rumour that Disney was going to deprioritise Marvel over Star Wars, which they would save their biggest budgets for? Are we seeing that happen, do you think?
  • Options
    Star wars can do one - most overrated film franchise ever.
  • Options
    JiMMy 85 said:
    As much as I enjoyed watching it I found Thor was just a bit too comedic. I don't like Hemsworth's one-note comedy schtick that he discovered on Ghostbusters, which doesn't help. He's charming but limited when he does that. 

I do think Waititi's stuff is generally very funny ("I'm perishing!" made me laugh out loud) and while I respect the mix of comedy and drama he went for, I'm not convinced it worked. It doesn't help that this phase is such a mess that I pinned hopes on Thor bringing us back to the feel of the last phases. When the Guardians disappeared inside 10 minutes that was the end of that. Same with Kat Dennings to a lesser extent given that she was in WandaVision yet there was still no connection made. 

This phase has been awful IMO. Ms Marvel is probably the best thing they've done albeit for different reasons than I would have expected. 
    I haven't really followed the news, or the latest Marvel releases, but what do you make to the rumour that Disney was going to deprioritise Marvel over Star Wars, which they would save their biggest budgets for? Are we seeing that happen, do you think?
    I hope not. The recent star wars output has been pretty awful barring Rogue One. The Andor show looks promising but I think Disney just need to take a breath with the output. Way too many Marvel and Star Wars shows and films and it's diluting the quality 
  • Options
    JiMMy 85 said:

If that's true that is mental IMO - I love Star Wars but surely anyone with a half a brain can see that Marvel has a far greater fanbase and capacity to draw attention/crowds/money
  • Options
    After the first three original movies - I agree
  • Options
    The last two I saw were a repetition of the first one but with a bigger Death Star, and the one where Luke Skywalker dies, which was sleep inducing and just accentuated how uncomfortable the cinema seats were. Won't be seeing any more.
  • Options
    Yeah Boba Fett looked like it had been made on someone's smoke break, Obi Wan i think is being really, really harshly judged and The Mandalorian is amazingly good 
  • Options
    Saw an NT live production at the cinema last night, Prima Facie starring Jodie Comer (one woman play). Didn’t think I would enjoy it but it was simply one of the best acting performances I have ever seen, stunning.
  • Options
    IdleHans said:
    Where the Crawdads Sing
    Saw this last night in a very full Picturehouse preview screening. I hadn't read the book so not much in the way of preconceptions.
    Daisy Edgar-Jones carries the thing almost single handedly - she is excellent. There are some plot holes but as a straightforward story it kept me entertained. It doesnt do anything new, and once you have the set-up you could probably guess a lot of what will follow, but I enjoyed it very much (and the aircon in the cinema). A combination of whodunnit (if anyone dunnit) and unslushy romance set in the marshlands of the Carolina coast in the 60s/70s, with a final twist. Fairly standard arrray of characters including violent father, kindly black shopkeepers, hopeless police, good hearted lawyer defending the main character, sniffy smalltown characters and badly intentioned high-school footballer boyfriend.
    I enjoyed it more than I probably should have - you could pick holes in a lot of it but if you take it at face value then it's a decent way of spending a couple of hours.      

Saw it this evening - a really disappointing watch. Found it very one dimensional and bland - characters and the plot were not developed.
  • Options
    Watched the Gray Man on Netflix. Very enjoyable easy watch. I love Ryan Gosling.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Watched the Gray Man on Netflix. Very enjoyable easy watch. I love Ryan Gosling.
    Just starting it now.
  • Options
    Watched 13 Lives on Amazon Prime last night. True story about the rescue of the kids football team from a flooded cave in Thailand a fews years ago. Film is done in a very understated way but the cave diving sequences are very claustrophobic. Viggo Mortensen, Colin Farrell (with dodgy accent) and Joel Edgerton the main stars. Pretty engrossing watch.
  • Options
    Watched Prey on Disney+. Its a new Predator film. Decent premise in that it's set 300 years ago with the main protagonist being a native American female hunter. This has had pretty strong reviews but barring the predator being pretty cool I found it all a bit underwhelming. Not really helped by some poor acting. 
  • Options
    Jurassic Park - 6/10 More of the same as we've seen from Pratt era JP. 

Prey - 4/10 So much promise, a new angle on a classic battle of Man (Woman) vs Predator and yep - Still shite. Genuinely believe Arnie and Glover were the only two to get decent Predator movies. 

Thor - 7/10 - Not as good as previous efforts, needed to be less silly given the situations encountered. Still enjoyable. 
  • Options
    Return of the Jedi is shite. There are plenty of better Star Wars films.
  • Options
    TELTEL
    edited August 2022
    Watched The Grey man....enjoyable shoot 'em up movie 6.5/10
  • Options
    TEL said:
    Watched The Grey man....enjoyable shoot 'em up movie 6.5/10
    Enjoyed it but was more like a lesser version of Bourne rather than a film in its own right 
  • Options
    If you get a chance, do get out and see Lucky. At 90 it was Harry Dean Stanton's final role, and you just have to admire the balls of leaving it all out there at that age. Quite slow paced, but it's a pleasure to spend 90 mins with HDS' cantankerous, sweet and humorous portrayal of an old geezer that don't (or maybe does) give a shit. image

Cribbing @Addickhead86 's post for this excellent film. His summary is spot on - its a great, gentle hour and a half, well suited to lying on the sofa with a couple of beers out of the heat. Free on Prime.   
  • Options
    Bullet train. Entertaining for the big screen. Gory but fun. And there is a snake on the loose for the second half which inhibited my viewing. 
  • Options
    Men

Started off right up my street. Eerie and creepy.
    Then it decended into one bat shit crazy peice of work.
    Can't quite describe it.

Good for half hour or so.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited August 2022
    Just seen Last Night in Soho. Creepy, intriguing. It has some storyline faults, and doesn't entirely make you jump out of your skin, but a really decent, dark thriller.  4/5
  • Options
    Just watched the new Jurassic Park, going against the grain here but I thought it was ok 

Did everything a film like that should do, big fuck off dinosaurs chasing people and wrecking the gaff. 

• Options
    edited August 2022
    Just watched Elvis . Amazing film. 5 out of 5

https://boxd.it/38dmH9
  • Options
    Prey - Predictable and didn’t care for any character 4/10
  • Options
    Has anybody watched Nope yet? I want to see but the girlfriend is a bit of a wimp so want to gauge how scary it is  :D
  • Options
    Has anybody watched Nope yet? I want to see but the girlfriend is a bit of a wimp so want to gauge how scary it is  :D
    It depends what their tolerance level is. On the whole it's not massively scary. There's some pretty disturbing imagery rather than lots of jumpscares etc. It's a hard film to describe and avoid spoilers, sorry!
  • Options
    Saw Operation Mincemeat at the rooftop open air cinema in Stratford last week and really enjoyed it.

Brian and Charles was also great. Am a huge David Earl fan so a biased view, but I liked it.

Seen a few older releases via downloads in the last couple of weeks as well:

The Phantom of the Open which I loved (Mark Rylance was excellent.
    The Duke was ok. Jim Broadbent was very good as ever.
    The Unbearable Weight of Massive Talent - basically Nicholas Cage taking the piss out of himself but pretty good.
  • Options
    Father of the bride - Sky/ Demand
    It's watchable but wouldn't watch again, predictable and not really that funny, not the worst but i wouldn't recommend it! 
    5.5/10 
  • Options
    Bull
    Just saw this as a new streaming release, and it's a bit hard to quantify. It has loads of stuff I like. A good tale of revenge against a double crossing gangster family, and set in South London. Well acted, good plot, quite a lot of blood and violence. But something about it left me wanting it to be better. It just felt a bit too straight a ride.
    4/5
  • Options
    Elvis is very good and Dogs is well worth a look - free on Netflix I think, but give it ten minutes or so to tune into the American mutterings.