Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Latest Films

Comments

• Finally saw the latest Thor offering.
    Pretty meh until……………………GOATS!!!!!!

Its actually amazing how many films have goats in them. They’re everywhere. Taking over the world I tell thee 🐐
  • Saw 'See How They Run' on Saturday night - it was enjoyable but it's no Knives Out. I would probably give it a 6/10, enjoyable but not memorable, my gf loved it though. Saoirse Ronan is predictably the best part of the film, Sam Rockwell does a good job too.

I'm not sure if the fact that we had seen The Mousetrap in London the Friday before helped or hindered my enjoyment of the story, but without that context it would've been a bit confusing possibly.
  • Saw 'See How They Run' on Saturday night - it was enjoyable but it's no Knives Out. I would probably give it a 6/10, enjoyable but not memorable, my gf loved it though. Saoirse Ronan is predictably the best part of the film, Sam Rockwell does a good job too.

I'm not sure if the fact that we had seen The Mousetrap in London the Friday before helped or hindered my enjoyment of the story, but without that context it would've been a bit confusing possibly.
    Saw it on Sunday and thought it was very enjoyable - preferred it to Knives Out . Saoirse Ronan was excellent.

7/10
  • Rogue Agent on Netflix. True story starring Gemma Arterton. Pretty decent.
  • Saw Don’t Worry Darling on Friday. Florence Pugh is awesome (and beautiful) but that’s probably where the main positives end. Harry Styles wasn’t as dreadful as I was expecting (I went prepared for Jayden Stockley levels of performance, so my bar was set low) but there are a couple of key scenes that felt beyond him. There are issues with the script/storyline, it isn’t as clever as it thinks it is and rehashes themes you’ve seen before. Also dragged on a little bit - could have cut to the chase sooner.   
  • Bullet Train

Good fun and some funny bits. Enjoyed it.

7/10.
  • edited October 2022
    The Greatest Beer Run Ever - based on the true story of a friend of soldiers fighting in Vietnam. He decides to take them beer in the middle of a war zone. A good mix of action and comedy- 7/10

Bullet Train - As @ValleyGary says, it's good fun with a few decent cameos - 7/10

Hocus Pocus 2 - Better than the first - 7/10

Section 8 - Run of the mill 'recruited in to a shadowy agency whilst serving time in prison' film - 6/10

Emily the Criminal - Worth a watch. Girl with student debt and a past can't find a job to pay it off so falls in to the world of credit card fraud - 6/10
  • Went to see the Woman King this afternoon and thought it was excellent. Saw it at the Everyman in Borough Yards, have never been to Borough Yards but it’s like a calmer, more serene oasis from the hustle and bustle of Borough Market. 
  • I saw these two at the London Film Festival earlier this month, both of which are released on 21 October.

Decision to Leave
    (South Korea) - 6/10

A noir police procedural, in which a detective falls for a widow who becomes the prime suspect following the suspected murder of her husband. The film has been very favourably reviewed and is certainly stylish but I found it over-long at 2 hours 20 minutes, given the rather thin, flaky and confusing narrative. One that most certainly did not meet expectations.

Argentina 1985 (Argentina) - 6.5/10

A legal courtroom drama based upon the true story of how the public prosecutor, his young deputy and their inexperienced young team prosecuted the nine military heads of the brutal junta dictatorship for human rights abuses. This was an important moment in Argentinian history and a story that deserves to be told. It also benefits from some moments of humour and an excellent lead performance from Ricardo Darin. The film (from Amazon Prime) is, however, extremely conventional, with a number of Hollywood-style tropes and I thought it lacked subtlety and emotional depth. Decent enough but nevertheless disappointing. 
  • se9addick said:
    Went to see the Woman King this afternoon and thought it was excellent. Saw it at the Everyman in Borough Yards, have never been to Borough Yards but it’s like a calmer, more serene oasis from the hustle and bustle of Borough Market. 
    I enjoyed it - a lot better than I expected.
  • Sponsored links:

• Saw The Banshees of Inisherin this weekend, same director as Three Billboards and In Bruges, with Colin Farrell and Brendan Gleeson as main characters. I enjoyed it though I think I forgot how gallows the humour and storyline of his films like In Bruges were - it caught me slightly off guard how dark it is though it was still a very good film.

I saw a bit of hype beforehand for the main pairs chemistry on screen but I actually thought Siobhan, Farrell's sister in the story, and her chemistry with Padraic stole the show for me.

Think I'll rewatch In Bruges soon to see if this was that much darker than I remembered IB to be. 
  • Saw this last night too, and it wasnt what I expected.
    @lonelynorthernaddick's review is spot on, and I'm also inclined to refresh my memory of In Bruges, which I remember as a much lighter film. Banshees has plenty of funny moments, but it is very dark overall. I enjoyed it, but its a hard one to mark and I'll need to think more about it.
    I agree re the sister - she's the one sane character in the whole thing and glues it together amidst the madness.
  • IdleHans said:
    Saw this last night too, and it wasnt what I expected.
    @lonelynorthernaddick's review is spot on, and I'm also inclined to refresh my memory of In Bruges, which I remember as a much lighter film. Banshees has plenty of funny moments, but it is very dark overall. I enjoyed it, but its a hard one to mark and I'll need to think more about it.
    I agree re the sister - she's the one sane character in the whole thing and glues it together amidst the madness.
    I think without her it would've been a very miserable affair (even though she added some darkness in her own way) but she seemed to be the only one looking at the whole situation and all the characters and having a sensible WTFeck reaction. I thought Farrell was very good, but thought she was brilliant - hope she gets some nominations for it.

Also worth noting that the landscape in the the film and some of the shots were beautiful - it was filmed on Inishmore, off Galway.

I definitely remember In Bruges being lighter, but at the same time I know the subject matter and general tone of that film was quite grim as well. I don't know if it being set in rural Ireland in the 1920s brought the tone down a bit as well.

It's definitely given me something to think about...
  • Triangle of Sadness - 8/10

I’m not usually that keen on Ruben Östlund’s films (‘Force Majeure’ and ‘The Square’) but this one was a lot of fun. Woody Harrelson is always good value, although my favourite character was the Russian oligarch. The third and final ‘act’ could have done with a little trimming but that’s a minor quibble.
  • Cheers. Saw this trailed and thought it looked interesting, will keep a look out for it
  • Just watched Blonde the Netflix film about Marilyn Monroe. 

To say it's grim is an understatement. Three hours of complete misery but a good performance from 
    Ana de Armas. 

5 out of 10
  • Not a new film but the 1982 Poltergeist was rereleased for Halloween. The effects are showing their age a bit but the atmosphere and tone hold up very well.
  • Only watched the opening scene in Netflix's version of "All Quiet on the Western Front"

But it has all the makings of an outstanding version of the classic
  • I'm not really into horror films but I watched the Babadook, the 2014 Australian horror film, on BBCiPlayer and did find it quite scary.

There are several horror films on iPlayer for Halloween - full list below:
    • The Turning (2020)
    • The Omen (1976)
    • The Evil Dead (1981)
    • Poltergeist (1982)
    • Host (2020)
    • Halloween (2018)
    • Scary Stories to Tell in the Dark (2019)
    • Coraline (2009)
    • The Ones Below (2015)
    • The Babadook (2014)
    • What We Do in the Shadows (2017)
    • Night of the Living Dead (1968)
    • The Fear of God: 25 Years of the Exorcist (1998)
    • I Walked With a Zombie (1943)
    • Cat People (1942)

• Only watched the opening scene in Netflix's version of "All Quiet on the Western Front"

It's fairly brutal in places. Thought it was a decent film though. (watched it in English)
  • Sponsored links:

• Black Adam - all action but I think you’ve got to be a fan of super-hero movies to fully enjoy it. Stunning visuals though. 6/10
  • I wish I'd seen the comments on here about The Power of The Dog before I started watching it - about an hour and 45 minutes ago.

It's beautifully shot, but it's the slowest and dullest film I can remember watching in a long while - possibly ever!
  • edited October 2022
    Off_it said:
    I wish I'd seen the comments on here about The Power of The Dog before I started watching it - about an hour and 45 minutes ago.

It's beautifully shot, but it's the slowest and dullest film I can remember watching in a long while - possibly ever!
    Jesus. Never have I wanted a film to end so much. I just wanted it to stop. Bone achingly dull from start to finish.
  • Blucher said:
    I'm not really into horror films but I watched the Babadook, the 2014 Australian horror film, on BBCiPlayer and did find it quite scary.

There are several horror films on iPlayer for Halloween - full list below:
    • The Turning (2020)
    • The Omen (1976)
    • The Evil Dead (1981)
    • Poltergeist (1982)
    • Host (2020)
    • Halloween (2018)
    • Scary Stories to Tell in the Dark (2019)
    • Coraline (2009)
    • The Ones Below (2015)
    • The Babadook (2014)
    • What We Do in the Shadows (2017)
    • Night of the Living Dead (1968)
    • The Fear of God: 25 Years of the Exorcist (1998)
    • I Walked With a Zombie (1943)
    • Cat People (1942)

Just watched Host. Proper creepy. Would recommend.
  • edited November 2022
    IdleHans said:
    Saw this last night too, and it wasnt what I expected.
    Just seen this and I agree. Some humorous moments and I felt an affinity with the bleakly beautiful landscape, as my mum was from Connemara. It was, however, a bit too dark for me. Colin Farrell's sister, Siobhan, was a more multi-dimensional character and the one character who offered a ray of hope.

I've seen a few of Martin McDonagh's plays in the past, including 'The Lieutenant of Inishmore' and 'The Hangman', both of which had dark elements, so I should probably have known what to expect. 
  • Another here agreeing with the reviews of Banshees. I thought it was v good but not sure I can say I enjoyed it! The old woman stole the show for me 😉
  • Saw Banshees last night. Enjoyed it, if that’s the right word, but bleak. Felt so sad and empty at the end. 

Husbands family from Connemara and the island Inishbofin which we’ve visited twice and very similar to Inishmore where it was filmed. Beautiful landscape. 

I’ve just watched it and i think its well worth watching.
  • edited November 2022
    Solidgone said:
    Only watched the opening scene in Netflix's version of "All Quiet on the Western Front"

Yeah watched all of it now... Excellent version

Love how they don't shy away, or try to romanticise from the horrors from the Western Front.

Only thing I didnt really like was the ending, knew how it was gonna happen from watching the other versions, but timings etc. felt so cheesy and unnecessarily dramatic in this one.
  • Solidgone said:
    Only watched the opening scene in Netflix's version of "All Quiet on the Western Front"

Yeah watched all of it now... Excellent version

Love how they don't shy away, or try to romanticise from the horrors from the Western Front.

Only thing I didnt really like was the ending, knew how it was gonna happen from watching the other versions, but timings etc. felt so cheesy and unnecessarily dramatic in this one.
    Also thought it was weird how one minute the Germans were attacking the French trench in fierce hand-to-hand combat and then, "Righto lads, that's 11 o clock, we can all stop now" and soldiers of both side were just wandering up and down the same trenches. 

I liked the start though. The re-use of uniforms is one aspect I'd never really thought about before and it was quite poignant when the main character found the name of the bloke at the start in his "new" tunic.