Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Latest Films

Comments

• Few cinema chains are doing cheap tickets as its National Cinema Day on Saturday - shame there doesn't seem to be anything decent on! 
  • Has anybody watched Nope yet? I want to see but the girlfriend is a bit of a wimp so want to gauge how scary it is  :D
    It depends what their tolerance level is. On the whole it's not massively scary. There's some pretty disturbing imagery rather than lots of jumpscares etc. It's a hard film to describe and avoid spoilers, sorry!
    Agree with this. 
  • Few cinema chains are doing cheap tickets as its National Cinema Day on Saturday - shame there doesn't seem to be anything decent on! 
    I’m booked in for Bullet Train at 13:40 Saturday at E Dulwich Picturehouse. £3 is the most I’d want to spend on this. 
    I’m booked in for Bullet Train at 13:40 Saturday at E Dulwich Picturehouse. £3 is the most I’d want to spend on this. 
    I was hoping to catch Nope, but it seems to have just finished in cinemas!

@LonelyNorthernAddick When I booked Bullet Train, it appeared to be available at Picturehouse sites.  Do you have one nearby?

@LonelyNorthernAddick When I booked Bullet Train, it appeared to be available at Picturehouse sites.  Do you have one nearby?
    Sadly not - not all cinemas near me have posted their listings at the minute so will keep an eye out.
  • Dune
    I've not read the books so no expectations although the Mrs has. Bloody excellent film and she tells me it told the story well. 
    Can't wait for part two 

8/10
    Saw it last weekend - enjoyed it, love how Jordan Peele’s films all feel distinctively his.

Saw the Black Telephone last night, love horror films (especially anything that involves ghosts, despite not believing in them - not sure what that’s about). Really enjoyed it, best in this genre that I’ve seen for a long time. Rumours of a sequel which will probably be dreadful but we’ll see.
  • se9addick said:
    Few cinema chains are doing cheap tickets as its National Cinema Day on Saturday - shame there doesn't seem to be anything decent on! 
    Saw it last weekend - enjoyed it, love how Jordan Peele’s films all feel distinctively his.

Saw the Black Telephone last night, love horror films (especially anything that involves ghosts, despite not believing in them - not sure what that’s about). Really enjoyed it, best in this genre that I’ve seen for a long time. Rumours of a sequel which will probably be dreadful but we’ll see.
    I managed to catch Nope on Saturday - found it quite strange, and half an hour too long IMO but very Peele as you say, but loved the concept and design. Girlfriend hated it but frankly I knew she would haha.
  • se9addick said:
    Few cinema chains are doing cheap tickets as its National Cinema Day on Saturday - shame there doesn't seem to be anything decent on! 

I managed to catch Nope on Saturday - found it quite strange, and half an hour too long IMO but very Peele as you say, but loved the concept and design. Girlfriend hated it but frankly I knew she would haha.
    Definutely agree on it being slightly too long, I don’t think you would have lost much that was necessary if it was shortened a tad. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Watched 'Nope' last night. 

No doubt the leading actors put in good performances (although the sister was annoying as fuck) but i just felt the whole film was a bit 'meh'. 2 hours deep and it was like 'whats the point?'.

5/10.
  • Fall 

2 free climbing girls like the lunatic who climbed the shard agree to climb a 2000ft high mast to exorcise some demons after an accident when they were climbing a sheer rockface the year before. The plot is silly and the acting is hammy as fuck BUT the way its filmed made me feel physically sick at times it was so realistic, I'm actually good with serious heights but this film got me. Dont expect it to win awards but do expect sweaty palms and feets and a mew found phobia of climbing shit like mobile phone receiver masts 
  • Elvis - yep 7/10
    Nope - yep 7/10 ((though still have no idea what the monkey scene had to do with anything?)
    Top Gun - orig - Nope 2/10 absolute dog shite imho - what has the fuss been about?
    Maverick - want to see but put off by original
  • Me Time- Netflix
    7/10 - Quite enjoyed this comedy, i guess not everyone will with your typical Mark Wahlberg and Kevin Hart, silly in bits but i thought it was good and worth a watch
  • edited September 2022
    Saw the new Top Gun and thought it was a bit silly and contrived. It didn't grab me but watchable.
  • It was still silly.
  • Saw the new Top Gun and thought it was a bit silly and contrived. It didn't grab me but watchable.
    It felt like more of a remake than a sequel to me . I was disappointed with it to be honest. 
  • edited September 2022
    Nope - 6/10

The cinematography and design of the big bad makes it interesting. Other than that a not so original take on classic sci-fi bread and butter. Characters feel a bit "meh, whatever" 

There was quite a few laughs in the cinema at times, not sure there was supposed to be.

In the words of my missus "if you were watching it at home, you'd probably spend more time looking at your phone"

• Saw the new Top Gun and thought it was a bit silly and contrived. It didn't grab me but watchable.
    It felt like more of a remake than a sequel to me . I was disappointed with it to be honest. 
    It felt to me like something a computer could have written. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Carter said:
    Nope, no way. Not having Top Gun Maverick run down 

It was everything you need from a sequel, knowing nods and the right amount of nostalgia without going overboard, ridiculous action scenes, as in insane, the missile scenes took my breath away, the early scenes in the stealth very quick jet were incredible. 

Wash your mouth put with soap and jism
    We’re all different but I like to come away from the cinema having seen a thought provoking, well acted film with a plot that has some complexity.

For that reason I found Maverick one of the worst films I’ve ever seen. It was laughable in places.

• Carter said:

It was everything you need from a sequel, knowing nods and the right amount of nostalgia without going overboard, ridiculous action scenes, as in insane, the missile scenes took my breath away, the early scenes in the stealth very quick jet were incredible. 

Completely agree. Really enjoyed it.

Didn't mind Nope either.

Samaritan (Stalone's latest offering) wasn't too bad considering some of the cack he's pumped out previously.

Watched Where the Crawdads Sing last night. A bit slow but worth watching.
  • Carter said:

We’re all different but I like to come away from the cinema having seen a thought provoking, well acted film with a plot that has some complexity.

For that reason I found Maverick one of the worst films I’ve ever seen. It was laughable in places.

If that's what you were after Maverick should've been right at the bottom of your list to see haha, or any Tom Cruise film tbf. It was clear that it would be pretty thin on anything thought provoking.
    Not my choice. We went to see it with our nieces as homage to my brother in law who died in a motorcycle accident two months before - Top Gun was his favourite film. Thought it might be rude if I said I wasn’t going because I think it’s going to be shit, wouldn’t have gone down well. I even told them I enjoyed the film.
  • Carter said:

If that's what you were after Maverick should've been right at the bottom of your list to see haha, or any Tom Cruise film tbf. It was clear that it would be pretty thin on anything thought provoking.
    Not my choice. We went to see it with our nieces as homage to my brother in law who died in a motorcycle accident two months before - Top Gun was his favourite film. Thought it might be rude if I said I wasn’t going because I think it’s going to be shit, wouldn’t have gone down well. I even told them I enjoyed the film.
    With the added context of you not wanting to see it anyway but begrudgingly agreeing to fir the greater good is admirable but makes for a skewed review 

If I want deep and thought provoking I go for Ken Loach, for Christopher Nolan and probably watch it indoors as cinemas hold too many uncompliant people who would annoy me 

If I want a massive cinematic experience in a massive reclining chair in front of an IMAX screen I put my faith in Tom Cruise 
  • Carter said:
    Carter said:

With the added context of you not wanting to see it anyway but begrudgingly agreeing to fir the greater good is admirable but makes for a skewed review 

If I want deep and thought provoking I go for Ken Loach, for Christopher Nolan and probably watch it indoors as cinemas hold too many uncompliant people who would annoy me 

If I want a massive cinematic experience in a massive reclining chair in front of an IMAX screen I put my faith in Tom Cruise 
    You’re right there! My heart sinks when I’ve settled in and a multi generation family comes and sits nearby each with a massive tub of popcorn.
  • Official Competition (Spain/Argentina) - 7/10

A billionaire industrialist, on his 80th birthday, decides to fund and produce a groundbreaking film in order to secure his legacy. To do so, he hires an acclaimed director, Lola (Penelope Cruz) and two leading actors, a Hollywood star (Antonio Banderas) and a high-minded stage veteran (Oscar Martinez). Lola's eccentric methods and the two actors' rivalry and egos cause unexpected problems.

The film has some good and amusing moments - and, of course, Penelope Cruz - but I thought that some of the satirical elements were a bit overcooked.
  • See How They Run

Setting a who-done-it around The Mousetrap - not sure if that's clever or lazy.  Acting fine, script very thin.
  • See How They Run

Setting a who-done-it around The Mousetrap - not sure if that's clever or lazy.  Acting fine, script very thin.
    Liked it as some pretty easy going entertainment (would make for a good film to watch on a plane). Saoirse Ronan is great in everything she’s in and Sam Rockwell’s English accent was really good!
  • se9addick said:
    See How They Run

Liked it as some pretty easy going entertainment (would make for a good film to watch on a plane). Saoirse Ronan is great in everything she’s in and Sam Rockwell’s English accent was really good!
    I’d have said the same about her but I can never remember who to spell her name.