Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Latest Films

Comments

• TEL said:
    Pinnochio. Very odd film, typical Del Toro in the main, not sure who the audience is though, as it's too scary for the little kids and a bit twee for the an adult audience. 
    5/10
    I really enjoyed it. 

Darker, sadder but fills in many blanks that were in the original. 

I think it was actually more Tim Burton than I expected and I like Burton's work. 

Solid 8/10 for me.
  • Your Christmas or mine?

Started well enough, reasonably likeable cast, but slowly lost track. 

Ended up on my phone for the last 20-30 minutes. 

5/10.
  • Stand by Me now on Netflix.

Watching now.

Such a beautiful film, but best I don’t use that famous quote in case people think this 53 yr old really means it 🙄😜🤣🤣🤣🤣
  • Decision to Leave - I really enjoyed this film , great performances and a twisty narrative , released on Mubi worth getting a months mubi free trial for !
  • The Banshees of Inisherin 

A near masterpiece. 

Third 10 out of 10 of 2022 , the other two were Belfast & Elvis . 

My review is below 

https://boxd.it/3xyV81

My Christmas Movie thread will start tomorrow. 

Yep I loved this film , living rurally in Shropshire it echoed a lot about the experience of rural isolation.
  • I watched a couple films last weekend while my gf was away doing christmasy stuff:

Everything, Everywhere, All at Once - Didn't enjoy this frankly. The first hour was good and I was interested to see where it went, but thought it went overboard and lost me completely in what I thought was a protracted middle section where it jumped the shark - I spent the final section of the film just waiting for it to finish to be honest. I can see why people enjoyed it and the premise/themes are good, as was the acting, but I felt like it could've been a lot better personally.

All Quiet on the Western Front - Enjoyed this, pretty grim watching obviously, but wasn't blown away frankly. Maybe my expectations were a little high, or maybe in a bad mood after the disappointment of EEAAO.
  • Everything, Everywhere all at once. Watched it as I love Michelle Yeoh. Not sure I got it really. Midway through I took a call and paused it thinking it was close to the end, but it had another hour to run. Weird but some amazing effects. 5/10 

All Quiet on the western front. 

Great period piece. Grotty, dirty, bloody and grim. Certainly a film to make you stop and think about the futility of war. Very well acted and great characters. 
    8/10 
  • Saw both of these films this year and agree with your synopses. I felt I didn't 'get' Everything Everywhere, and for me it dragged.
  • Sponsored links:

• Cinemas need a big box office hit to bring back audiences and in that sense I hope Avatar 2 makes a ton of money.
    We are back to the situation in the 1950s when TV was seen to have a negative impacts on audiences. This time it's the knock on effect of COVID and streaming.
    That said Avatar 2 is not a good film. Yes it is spectacular. I watched in IMAX 3d and visually it is great. Story wise it is poor but you expect that to a certain extent. Sigourney Weaver is superb in her role.
    It is far too long for the story. 

Can't say much more because of spoilers but imho one plot line 'jumps the shark' and makes the movie a poor joke.
  • Glass Onion - technically a sequel to Knives Out though stands completely alone and can be watched with no prior knowledge.

Very good ensemble cast, Daniel Craig really can act and there's a twist at the halfway point that floored me. Possibly just a little too clever/knowing for it's own good but I enjoyed it.
  • thenewbie said:
    Glass Onion - technically a sequel to Knives Out though stands completely alone and can be watched with no prior knowledge.

Very good ensemble cast, Daniel Craig really can act and there's a twist at the halfway point that floored me. Possibly just a little too clever/knowing for it's own good but I enjoyed it.
    Yeah watched it last night, preferred the first one - Thought it got a bit silly towards the end, the twist though is very good - Agree that Daniel Craig is excellent in his role
  • I thought Glass Onion was fucking excellent and don't have a bad word to say about it! Rian Johnson is a fantastic writer/ director and I'm glad Netflix are throwing money at him. 
  • edited December 2022
    Seen at the cinema recently:

Living - Bill Nighy 

Really enjoyed this. Nighy is excellent as the staid, world weary civil servant who only comes to life after a terminal diagnosis. 8/10

The Menu - Ralph Fiennes, Anaya T-J

Slightly pretentious tale about a deserted island based restaurant frequented by celebrities and the rich, and the master chef who owns it. He prepares a special surprise for his guests that include Anya Taylor-Joy, an unexpected replacement for a +1 guest who had broken up with her boyfriend. Worth seeing!  8/10

White Noise - Adam Driver 

Based on the post modern dystopian novel of the same name. An opening scene where everyone talks at the same time sets the tone. I quite enjoyed this, but it was way too long. 

The final credits sequence is a masterpiece.  6/10

PS I think this is already released on Amazon Prime. Or is it Netflix?

• Just watched AFTERSUN , I wonderful film about the memories of an eleven year old girl on holiday with her father twenty years ago . An absolute gem. 

My Review. 

https://letterboxd.com/welovemovies/film/aftersun/
  • Not new, but gave me a few laughs last night... Office Christmas Party. 6.5/10
    Jason Bateman with Olivia Munn as the geeky eye candy element and Jennifer Aniston doing the bad boss thing very well.
  • Loved Glass Onion. Not quite as good as the first film, but still very good.
  • I thought Glass Onion was pony. Even the ‘twist’ halfway through was weak. Ending was unoriginal and the whole thing went on far too long.
  • Barbarian, Disney, started reasonably well but then descended into utter insanity. WTF have I just watched
  • Sponsored links:

• Just watched Everything Everywhere all At Once . Hated it. I know I’m in a minority but it has to be my most disappointing film of 2022
  • Just watched Everything Everywhere all At Once . Hated it. I know I’m in a minority but it has to be my most disappointing film of 2022
    I must admit I struggled with it. I was bored by the end. 
    I didn't get it myself. But it was certainly strange enough to keep me watching it. 

• Enjoyed Glass Onion and even forgot that Daniels accent was bloody weird.7/10
  • Enjoyed Glass Onion too. Not as much as I enjoyed the original but still a very good watch.
  • johnny73 said:
    Cinemas need a big box office hit to bring back audiences and in that sense I hope Avatar 2 makes a ton of money.
    We are back to the situation in the 1950s when TV was seen to have a negative impacts on audiences. 
    I tell you what has a negative impact on audiences, people’s behavior at the cinema. I’ve actually got the point where I will rarely go to one to see a film again as I’m fed up with the talking, phone out crap that goes on. 
  • buckshee said:
    johnny73 said:
    Cinemas need a big box office hit to bring back audiences and in that sense I hope Avatar 2 makes a ton of money.
    We are back to the situation in the 1950s when TV was seen to have a negative impacts on audiences. 
    I tell you what has a negative impact on audiences, people’s behavior at the cinema. I’ve actually got the point where I will rarely go to one to see a film again as I’m fed up with the talking, phone out crap that goes on. 
    And stuffing their face with popcorn & Nachos. 
  • buckshee said:
    johnny73 said:
    And stuffing their face with popcorn & Nachos. 
    I only go once a film has been out a couple of weeks, ideally not at a peak time. that way there's no more than 4-5 people in there. It's even better if I can find an Odeon Luxe, because the way those screens are designed, you'd hardly know anyone else was in the room. 
  • Netflix has just released La Reina de Sur series 3.