Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Latest Films

Comments

• Options
    Babylon - don’t bother. 
  • Options
    Babylon - don’t bother. 

Why not? ladyfriend has short-listed it. I rely on CL reviews before i commit so more detail would be appreciated.
  • Options
    Babylon - don’t bother. 

Why not? ladyfriend has short-listed it. I rely on CL reviews before i commit so more detail would be appreciated.
    The trailers are all the best bits. It’s far too long and the story line isn’t very involved - just really that some actors and roles lost out when ‘talkies’ changed Hollywood. 

Otto, Empire and Till all also out currently far superior. 

It’s only getting trailed / discussed because of the stats who are in it. 
  • Options

Babylon - don’t bother. 

The trailers are all the best bits. It’s far too long and the story line isn’t very involved - just really that some actors and roles lost out when ‘talkies’ changed Hollywood. 

Otto, Empire and Till all also out currently far superior. 

It’s only getting trailed / discussed because of the stats who are in it. 
    Thanks
     Can relate to that. 'There will be blood' was a similar disappointment for me in 2007. Massively hyped rubbish.
  • Options
    Fraser was great in Doom Patrol, but we didn’t get to see him so much, as his character is a robot.

Had no idea why he had been ‘off the scene’ and if his claims hold water and that was Hollywood’s reaction, it is a f**king disgrace.
  • Options
    edited January 2023
    Fraser was great in Doom Patrol, but we didn’t get to see him so much, as his character is a robot.

Had no idea why he had been ‘off the scene’ and if his claims hold water and that was Hollywood’s reaction, it is a f**king disgrace.
    And yet he's a privileged white man so it doesn't count according to most of the U.S
  • Options
    Pale Blue Eye - 7/10
    Period murder mystery with Christian Bale. It’s decent enough with a good twist. Harry Melling steals the show with his performance as Edgar Alan Poe.
    Saw it last night, beautifully shot, a bit over long. I agree about the twist and Melling (Patrick Troughton's grandson, apparently).    
  • Options
    Megan - Absolute shite.
  • Options
    Watched ‘MEN’ last night. 
    🤔🫣😬😳 is all I can think as a review. Starring Jessie Buckley and Rory Kinnear. 
  • Options
    TEL said:
    Bull. Netflix. Sarf London cheapo gangster flick. Very gory, lot of it filmed around Dartford. Weird twist leading to a weird ending. 5/10
    Wasn’t bad and I do like Neil Maskell in a film 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Pale Blue Eye - 7/10
    Period murder mystery with Christian Bale. It’s decent enough with a good twist. Harry Melling steals the show with his performance as Edgar Alan Poe.
    Saw it last night, beautifully shot, a bit over long. I agree about the twist and Melling (Patrick Troughton's grandson, apparently).    
    Yup, I felt the same 
  • Options
    Bank of Dave … bit of fun and an easy watch 
  • Options
    Megan - Absolute shite.
    Can you enlarge on that - it was on my list of films I want to see.
  • Options
    Bank of Dave.

A feel good film that's easy to watch.  Enjoyed it
  • Options
    Megan - Absolute shite.
    Can you enlarge on that - it was on my list of films I want to see.
    Just took my grandson to see it.
    Highly recommended. Covers a lot of themes. It has comedy which is dark.
  • Options
    Agree, That "A pale blue eye " was very good7/10
  • Options
    I saw A Pale Blue Eye last night.
    very good. Harry melling is making a name for himself lately. Once again the film is well shot, and a few interesting twists and turns including a late one that grabbed my by the throat.  8/10

Weird
    This has good write-ups on Rotten Tomatoes, I found it increasingly annoying as it went on, and finally just switched it off. Crap film
  • Options
    I really like Scott Cooper the director of The Pale Blue Eyes - he's directed a few very good but underrated films in recent years such as Out of the Furnace and Black Mass - I have never seen Crazy Heart though. When I saw the trailer for The Pale Blue Eye I was surprised that he did a film of this genre. I've been hesitant as I'm not a fan of the Edgar Allan Poe kind of films but seeing as some of you liked it, I'm going to give it a go! Plus I just watched Batman Begins this afternoon - I had watched every feature length film directed by Nolan apart from this one and I decided to make my list of "already seen Nolan films" complete today - and totally enjoyed it. So another film starring Christian Bale would be nice. I just hope it is not a horror film which I usually avoid.... 😅😰
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Jessie said:
    I really like Scott Cooper the director of The Pale Blue Eyes - he's directed a few very good but underrated films in recent years such as Out of the Furnace and Black Mass - I have never seen Crazy Heart though. When I saw the trailer for The Pale Blue Eye I was surprised that he did a film of this genre. I've been hesitant as I'm not a fan of the Edgar Allan Poe kind of films but seeing as some of you liked it, I'm going to give it a go! Plus I just watched Batman Begins this afternoon - I had watched every feature length film directed by Nolan apart from this one and I decided to make my list of "already seen Nolan films" complete today - and totally enjoyed it. So another film starring Christian Bale would be nice. I just hope it is not a horror film which I usually avoid.... 😅😰
    I assume you've seen The Dark Knight and The Dark Knight Rises? Just seems odd to not have seen BB if you've watched the other two haha.

The Fighter is good if you want some more Christian Bale, true story about two sibling Boxers. American hustle good too from what I remember, haven't seen it since it first came out though
  • Options
    Bank of Dave.

A feel good film that's easy to watch.  Enjoyed it
    A good watch 8/10
    A pale blue eye 7.5/10  , great twist at the end
  • Options
    edited January 2023
    I really enjoyed Pale Blue Eye too. A solid whodunnit story, nicely shot (albeit with that filter/ digital film thing that makes a lot of Netflix movies look the same) and with an outstanding cast. Bale is one of the few actors that makes me want to watch the movie whatever he's in (along with Sam Rockwell). I also recommend!  12 out of 15

• Options
    Also I finally got around to pressing play on My Octopus Teacher. What a lovely little doc. It's about a filmmaker who has fallen out of love with his job, who starts doing some filming in the sea near his house for the fun of it, where he meets a small octopus that he befriends and hangs out with regularly. He shoots most of his interactions himself and it feels incredibly intimate. It feels like he's one guy, with one camera, and one little octopus (they clearly shot lots of extra bits later on but it's brilliantly edited together). And he does an extremely good job of showing what life it like for the little creature.  

Had both me and Mrs Jimmy85 in tears at one point. Well, she was. I was stoically trying to think of something else and hiding my emotion, as all men should. 

7 out of 7

• Options
    JiMMy 85 said:
    Also I finally got around to pressing play on My Octopus Teacher. What a lovely little doc. It's about a filmmaker who has fallen out of love with his job, who starts doing some filming in the sea near his house for the fun of it, where he meets a small octopus that he befriends and hangs out with regularly. He shoots most of his interactions himself and it feels incredibly intimate. It feels like he's one guy, with one camera, and one little octopus (they clearly shot lots of extra bits later on but it's brilliantly edited together). And he does an extremely good job of showing what life it like for the little creature.  

Had both me and Mrs Jimmy85 in tears at one point. Well, she was. I was stoically trying to think of something else and hiding my emotion, as all men should. 

7 out of 7

Loved this too. It was in my top ten films of 2021
  • Options
    edited January 2023
    Jessie said:
    I assume you've seen The Dark Knight and The Dark Knight Rises? Just seems odd to not have seen BB if you've watched the other two haha.

The Fighter is good if you want some more Christian Bale, true story about two sibling Boxers. American hustle good too from what I remember, haven't seen it since it first came out though
    Yes I watched both of those two about ten years ago and can't remember why I skipped Batman Begins at the time🤣

And I've also watched those two Bale films! I remember enjoying The Fighter very much and absolutely loved Amy Adams' performance in it. American Hustle was quite funny and yes I agree quite good too!
  • Options
    JiMMy 85 said:
    I really enjoyed Pale Blue Eye too. A solid whodunnit story, nicely shot (albeit with that filter/ digital film thing that makes a lot of Netflix movies look the same) and with an outstanding cast. Bale is one of the few actors that makes me want to watch the movie whatever he's in (along with Sam Rockwell). I also recommend!  12 out of 15

Speaking of Sam Rockwell whom I've been a fan of for nearly 15 years I recently watched a bit of See How They Run but couldn't get into it despite it stars one of my all-time favourite actors Rockwell, and Saoirse Ronan whom I have a little "girl crush" on.... I later figured it was probably the sort of Wes Anderson style that made me lose interest😂
  • Options
    Jessie said:
    JiMMy 85 said:

Speaking of Sam Rockwell whom I've been a fan of for nearly 15 years I recently watched a bit of See How They Run but couldn't get into it despite it stars one of my all-time favourite actors Rockwell, and Saoirse Ronan whom I have a little "girl crush" on.... I later figured it was probably the sort of Wes Anderson style that made me lose interest😂
    I must admit, I got a little bored in places. I think I respected it more than I enjoyed it. If it wasn't for the quality of cast I don't know if I would have made it all the way through. I don't know much about The Mousetrap or Christie so that might not have helped! 
  • Options
    Coming up out of Sundance that I can recommend 

Fair Play
    Fairydance
    Michael J Fox - I'm Still Here

Avoid
    Bad Behaviour

• Options
    Tár - 6/10

Cate Blanchett plays Lydia Tár, widely considered one of the greatest living composer-conductors and the first female principal music director of the Berlin Philharmonic. Her career runs into difficulties, however, as the events of the past begin to catch up with her.

A study in the the corrosive nature of power, the film has been widely acclaimed by critics, has made the shortlist of 5 for both the Golden Globes and the BAFTAs and is widely expected to do likewise for the 'Best Film' Oscar. For me, however, whilst Blanchett delivers an intense and impressive performance, the film was over long and did not really hit the spot.