Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Latest Films

Comments

• Saw A Man Called Otto last night. Really enjoyed it, both very funny and very sad at times. Hanks is excellent as you'd expect.
  • 2 films watched last weekend - Del Toro's Pinocchio and Glass Onion

I loved Toro's Pinocchio - the stop-motion animation on it's own was beautiful but really enjoyed the darker twist on the story that Toro brought and the setting in Mussolini's Italy gave it a different nuance/twist as well. Some top drawer actors in there, especially Christoph Waltz who is so good in everything he's in. Probably my favourite film of the year.

Also enjoyed Glass Onion but not as good as the first, it lost me a little in the final 3rd if I'm honest but still well worth watching.

Will be going to see A Man Called Otto next weekend I think, girlfriend very excited as it's an adaptation of the book A Man Called Ove which she really enjoyed.
  • 2 films watched last weekend - Del Toro's Pinocchio and Glass Onion

I loved Toro's Pinocchio - the stop-motion animation on it's own was beautiful but really enjoyed the darker twist on the story that Toro brought and the setting in Mussolini's Italy gave it a different nuance/twist as well. Some top drawer actors in there, especially Christoph Waltz who is so good in everything he's in. Probably my favourite film of the year.

Also enjoyed Glass Onion but not as good as the first, it lost me a little in the final 3rd if I'm honest but still well worth watching.

Will be going to see A Man Called Otto next weekend I think, girlfriend very excited as it's an adaptation of the book A Man Called Ove which she really enjoyed.
    It's really worth seeking out the original, Swedish film, 'A Man Called Ove', which is excellent. It got the highest audience rating at our film club a few years ago and was also voted the 'Film Society Film of the Year'.
  • Blucher said:
    2 films watched last weekend - Del Toro's Pinocchio and Glass Onion

It's really worth seeking out the original, Swedish film, 'A Man Called Ove', which is excellent. It got the highest audience rating at our film club a few years ago and was also voted the 'Film Society Film of the Year'.
    I knew there was a Swedish film of it but I didn't actually know if it was any good. Will keep it in mind! 
  • Watched the latest Jurassic Park drivel on Netflix.... my question is why? 
    Added nothing and was just so hammy. 
    2/10
  • Glass Onion
    Mindcage (copycat serial killer film)
    Silverton Siege (film inspired by real events that lead to the Free Nelson Mandela movement)
    Mole (documentary about infiltrating the North Korean Arms Industry)
    Guardians of the Galaxy: Holiday Special
    Violent Night
    Matilda the Musical
    Strange World
    Emancipation
    Bandit
    Lamborghini
    Poker Face
    She Said (lead up to the Harvey Weinstein case)
    The Menu

A few to ponder watching if you hven't already. The list doesn't include Christmas movies such as Disenchanted, Spirited and other festive movies released in the latter part of 2022.
  • Blucher said:

It's really worth seeking out the original, Swedish film, 'A Man Called Oxo', which is excellent. It got the highest audience rating at our film club a few years ago and was also voted the 'Film Society Film of the Year'.
    Different gravey , that film mate .
  • Blucher said:

It's really worth seeking out the original, Swedish film, 'A Man Called Oxo', which is excellent. It got the highest audience rating at our film club a few years ago and was also voted the 'Film Society Film of the Year'.
    Different gravey , that film mate .
    Starring Alan McCormack
  • edited January 2023
    Blucher said:

I loved A Man Called Ove too and may already have given it the thumbs up earlier on this thread.

I'm always a bit cynical when a US remake of a foreign language film I've really enjoyed gets made. But if I were casting a major star in this one I don't think you'd go wrong with Tom Hanks. I think he may also have purchased the rights, so I guess he cast himself. 
  • Sponsored links:

• edited January 2023

Agree about Pinocchio, excellent film 
  • I wanna dance with somebody- film about the life of Whitney Houston.

A bit of an uninspiring watch - would have helped if I was more of a fan of her music.

5/10
  • Till. 

True story regarding a lynching of 14y/o in Mississippi in 1955 and the mothers campaign for justice. Felt emotionally empty watching the credits roll at the end. 

• edited January 2023
    I genuinely enjoyed the first one - thought it was a great tale, so my take on a second part was that it would be hard to beat the first one. Sadly this was how the new one turned out. I can enjoy a slow story - I'm not a huge fan of non stop action - but there were points in this movie where it felt as if the whole thing had stalled, and I also felt as if they were reusing swathes of the previous film's plot with some new characters thrown in. I'd have to think very hard about going to see the next episode, which was basically what Avatar 2 was building towards.
    4/10

And then my next film was..

Puss in Boots - The Last Wish
    This one got absolutely rave reviews from all and sundry (96% on Rotten Tomatoes). It may be that as my daughters have grown up, I've moved away from this sort of stuff, but i saw several reviews saying that this was good for all ages, and personally I found it a bore fest.My younger daughter (13 years) also said it was boring, so wasn't just me. I literally found nothing funny in it, it just dragged on and on without raising a smile at any point. 
    2/10 
  • Saw Puss in Boots 2 this weekend and unlike @ken_shabby quite enjoyed it, as did the 5 adults (nobody under 15) watching it. 

There were a fair few funny moments in it, re-hash adorable eye moments aside, the bleeped out potty mouthed dog was really quite funny bearing in mind the movie is pointed toward kids.

Our overall takeaway was the morals within the story and its tackling mental health awareness issues for kids in a smart way was really good. Including proving to kids you can still come out positive and a ‘hero’ despite a crisis of confidence, nervousness and other related issues. They teased a further Shrek sequel at the end too. 

6.5/10
  • edited January 2023
    Watched the House That Jack Built 

What a weird film, I can't rate it, it was well shot but just gruesome and I really didn't get the point of it all by the end... It's all about ART says the director... I'm clearly not artistic or psychotic enough for it!
  • Till. 

True story regarding a lynching of 14y/o in Mississippi in 1955 and the mothers campaign for justice. Felt emotionally empty watching the credits roll at the end. 

I don't think I can put myself through that one. I know the story fairly well, it's too painful! 
  • Till. 

I thought it was really good. Not so much for the film itself as that was pretty nuts and bolts but for the performance of Danielle Deadwyler who was fantastic. I wouldn't be surprised if she is up for some major awards when they are announced soon.

• Till. 

I thought it was really good. Not so much for the film itself as that was pretty nuts and bolts but for the performance of Danielle Deadwyler who was fantastic. I wouldn't be surprised if she is up for some major awards when they are announced soon.

She was amazing. It was beautifully shot and thought provoking. I knew nothing of the story or film didn’t even know it was a true story. Keep thinking about it. 
    I find it really hard to think of a way to describe or promote a film that people should go and see but isn’t exactly ‘enjoyable’. It just made me feel desperately sad. 
  • Hoping to get a chance to see E pire of Light as saw a few bits of it being recorded down in Margate, trying to get a free night to get to the cinema when you've got young kids though....!!
  • Sponsored links:

• edited January 2023
    A man called Otto

Film about widower struggling to come to terms with the death of his wife. Veers between comedy and tragedy - Tom Hanks is pretty good in the title role. 7/10

Based on the Swedish film 'A man called Ove' which is also pretty good but perhaps a little darker.
  • The new Ant man quantum-mania trailer looks good - got a horrible feeling Marvel might revert to type and make a joke out of it all, but the potential of a dad missing his kids childhood through no fault of his own and trying to do everything he can to pull things back but inadvertently unleashing a new villain has more potential then probably any other big popcorn marvel flick in a while. 
  • A man called Otto

Film about widower struggling to come to terms with the death of his wife. Veers between comedy and tragedy - Tom Hanks is pretty good in the title role. 7/10

Based on the Swedish film 'A man called Ove' which is also pretty good but perhaps a little darker.
    I saw the original and am inclined to swerve this remake. I'm not a huge fan of Tom Hanks (I'm sure I'm in a very tiny minority). The original was an excellent film.
  • IdleHans said:
    A man called Otto

I saw the original and am inclined to swerve this remake. I'm not a huge fan of Tom Hanks (I'm sure I'm in a very tiny minority). The original was an excellent film.
    Watched both films this week. The original is better but Tom Hanks does a decent job in the remake.

Very little change in the script.

• The new Ant man quantum-mania trailer looks good - got a horrible feeling Marvel might revert to type and make a joke out of it all, but the potential of a dad missing his kids childhood through no fault of his own and trying to do everything he can to pull things back but inadvertently unleashing a new villain has more potential then probably any other big popcorn marvel flick in a while. 
    Jonathan Majors looks like he is going to be excellent in his role, he's already appeared in Loki, and as Kang is basically the next Thanos level villain that Marvel will throw out.

Id be surprised if Ant Man 3 did follow suit from the other two films that Paul Rudd has done. 
  • Aftersun - a very fine film with excellent performances from the leads. Highly original and very poignant.

All Quiet on the Western Front - well made, very powerful and, as you'd expect, a difficult watch. It could perhaps have been trimmed a bit from its 2 hr 28 minute running time, although I appreciate they had to take time to develop the characters and their relationships in order to humanise the story.
  • Empire of light.
    Enjoyed this a lot. Olivia Coleman hit the spot like never before for me. Not totally sure if there was a particular message or dominant theme we were meant 'to get' but the very fact it's set in Margate in 1981 made it interesting enough. 
    8.5/10.

• The Menu - decent concept and a good cast but I figured out a lot of what was happening/going to happen a long time before the "reveal". Feels like it would be better as an episode of a Twilight Zone type show rather than being stretched out into a feature film.
  • edited January 2023
    Empire of light.
    Enjoyed this a lot. Olivia Coleman hit the spot like never before for me. Not totally sure if there was a particular message or dominant theme we were meant 'to get' but the very fact it's set in Margate in 1981 made it interesting enough. 
    8.5/10.

I think the theme is something like 'the power of relationships to heal'. 
    Good summary, @swords_alive , and I'd mark it about 8. Olivia Colman is tremendous in it, possibly her best performance. Worth seeing anyway, but particularly for her.
    Margate plays a big role in this, with a cameo from Broadstairs too. 
    As an aside, watching it reminded me how absolutely bloody awful cars were in 1980.
  • How can someone not like Tom Hanks??