Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Latest Films

Comments

• IdleHans said:
    Empire of light.
    Enjoyed this a lot. Olivia Coleman hit the spot like never before for me. Not totally sure if there was a particular message or dominant theme we were meant 'to get' but the very fact it's set in Margate in 1981 made it interesting enough. 
    8.5/10.

I think the theme is something like 'the power of relationships to heal'. 
    Good summary, @swords_alive , and I'd mark it about 8. Olivia Colman is tremendous in it, possibly her best performance. Worth seeing anyway, but particularly for her.
    Margate plays a big role in this, with a cameo from Broadstairs too. 
    As an aside, watching it reminded me how absolutely bloody awful cars were in 1980.
    I was over in Margate a few times while they were filming, one of the first times I was walking back out of town past Dreamland, completely forgetting about the film, and it was one of those moments where something out the corner of your eye seems off, looked up and whilst I'd been walking 100 yards, all the cars driving down the road had changed from modern ones to 80s ones driving round on a loop where they were about to film.
  • SamB09 said:
    How can someone not like Tom Hanks??
    Don't particularly dislike him, I just think he's always a bit too Tom Hanks, similar to the way Bill Nighy is always Bill Nighy.
  • IdleHans said:
    SamB09 said:
    How can someone not like Tom Hanks??
    Don't particularly dislike him, I just think he's always a bit too Tom Hanks, similar to the way Bill Nighy is always Bill Nighy.
    A lot of actors still have that kind of approach. I don't think it's necessarily a bad thing but it's often the difference between a "movie star" and a "character actor" though that's not to say someone like Tom Hanks isn't a very good actor when he wants to be.
  • I reckon Tom Hanks is the actor who I've watched the most, not many of his films I've not seen - not through being a massive fan of his (I do like him), just he must make mainstream films, or ones in genres I like, or just good choices.

Can't think who else I must have seen as much?
  • Bull. Netflix. Sarf London cheapo gangster flick. Very gory, lot of it filmed around Dartford. Weird twist leading to a weird ending. 5/10
  • Pale Blue Eye - 7/10
    Period murder mystery with Christian Bale. It’s decent enough with a good twist. Harry Melling steals the show with his performance as Edgar Alan Poe.
  • Till - 8/10

Very heavy (as you can imagine given the subject) but the lead actress is brilliant and really carried the film. Tells the story from a different angle, focusing on the mothers perspective rather than the horrific events themselves. 
  • Empire of light.
    Enjoyed this a lot. Olivia Coleman hit the spot like never before for me. Not totally sure if there was a particular message or dominant theme we were meant 'to get' but the very fact it's set in Margate in 1981 made it interesting enough. 
    8.5/

Saw it last night, was half expecting a feel good, revive an old cinema to Glory days typevmovie, as I had no clue of the synopsis beforehand.
    Enjoyed it, good cast, great memories of days out in Margate as a kid
  • Lost City. Bit of a laugh, very tongue in cheek. Sandra Bullock, Channing Tatum and Brad Pitt hamming it up. 6/10
  • Watched Amsterdam last night.
    Cracking film, thoroughly recommend 👍🏼
  • Sponsored links:

• edited January 2023
    Watched Empire of Light today, was strange seeing Margate on screen.

Made me very nostalgic about working in a cinema (used to years ago), getting to watch more films before having kids etc!!  Really good on that 'love letter to cinema' side of it.

Olivia Colman was very good as usual.

7/10 from me.
  • Watched Empire of Light today, was strange seeing Margate on screen.

Made me very nostalgic about working in a cinema (used to years ago), getting to watch more films before having kids etc!!  Really good on that 'love letter to cinema' side of it.

Olivia Colman was very good as usual.

7/10 from me.
    Saw it today as well - really enjoyed the film.
    The cast was really good.

Olivia Colman was excellent. 8/10
  • Watched The Menu on Friday, enjoyed the storyline and the dark comedy. Acting was obviously very good with a cast of Nicolas Hoult, Anya Taylor Joy and Ralph Fiennes. As someone said earlier, you could see where the storyline was going early on but I still found it very enjoyable. 

Also saw A Man Called Otto on Saturday which was good, Hanks is very good as ever. Girlfriend really enjoyed it who was the one who wanted to see it having read the book, think she welled up half a dozen times! 
  • Watched The Menu on Friday, enjoyed the storyline and the dark comedy. Acting was obviously very good with a cast of Nicolas Hoult, Anya Taylor Joy and Ralph Fiennes. As someone said earlier, you could see where the storyline was going early on but I still found it very enjoyable. 

Also saw A Man Called Otto on Saturday which was good, Hanks is very good as ever. Girlfriend really enjoyed it who was the one who wanted to see it having read the book, think she welled up half a dozen times! 
    Worth watching the Swedish film 'A man called Ove' if you get a chance - released a few years back. The same story but slightly darker.

Worth watching the Swedish film 'A man called Ove' if you get a chance - released a few years back. The same story but slightly darker.
    Yes someone mentioned that earlier in the thread too - I haven't seen it but it turned out GF already has!
  • Re Empire of Light - We enjoyed it but Mendes tried to throw in too many themes, and a fair few cliches, in my view. Still some lovely scenes. We live in Broadstairs now so loved seeing Margate and, of course, some of our neighbourhood.
  • JiMMy 85 said:
    I was hesitant about watching Bullet Train because of the reviews but I am glad I did - really stupid and silly stuff but thoroughly enjoyable. The cast really do sell it (there's one actor I thought was awful, but she wasn't in it much). Particularly Pitt, Tyree-Henry and Taylor-Johnson. 

Also, Pinocchio. Absolutely brilliant stuff from Guillermo Del Toro. So much better than the Zemeckis/ Hanks/ Disney version. So much more depth having set it against the backdrop of the war and fascism. It's a far better script. Where Disney went for a shot-for-shot remake of a dated cartoon that ultimately feels hollow, Del Toro has re-written the story far more effectively and made something incredibly imaginative. 
    Watched this last night... Was nothing like what I was expecting, had me in genuine laughter at times - Especially scenes between Tyree-Henry and Taylor-Johnson!! - Thought Pitt was excellent like you say his sort of action film, but he worked the comedy element so well.
  • Menu is worth a watch, not what I expected but enjoyed it. 
  • Also enjoyed Menu. 
    Saw Adam Driver in White Noise. Interesting interpretation of the cult novel, slightly pretentious, definitely a little too long, but possibly the best closing credits I’ve ever seen. 
  • Watched Mass last night.
    It concerns two couples who meet at a church 6 years after a school shooting. Both couples lost a son, one a victim, the other the killer. Very confronting.
    Excellent film and acting.
  • Sponsored links:

• Saw Empire of Light today. Can highly recommend it. Great cast, well directed, excellent script. Quite moving. 9/10
  • edited January 2023
    Looking forward to seeing "the Whale"

More so what with it being Brendan Fraser's comeback, and him being one of the favourites for Best Actor at the Oscars - Really sounds like that bloke got dealt a shitty hand by Hollywood this last decade... the film has just received the most nominations ever (?) @ the BAFTAs
  • Looking forward to seeing "the Whale"

More so what with it being Brendan Fraser's comeback, and him being one of the favourites for Best Actor at the Oscars - Really sounds like that bloke got dealt a shitty hand by Hollywood this last decade... the film has just received the most nominations ever (?) @ the BAFTAs
     Wasn't he out of film and TV because he had a back injury? 

He was in the 'Doom Patrol' show not too long ago. 
  • edited January 2023
    Dazzler21 said:

Sounds like it was the injury, and then claims he was shunned by Hollywood because he accused the President of the Hollywood Press Association of sexually assaulting him around 2003, sounds like he had a few episodes that saw him drop into depression too

Was always a shame about the back injuries, as the Mummy films were brilliant... well the first two

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brendan_Fraser#Personal_life
  • Dazzler21 said:

Sounds like it was the injury, and then claims he was shunned by Hollywood because he accused the President of the Hollywood Press Association of sexually assaulting him around 2003, sounds like he had a few episodes that saw him drop into depression too

Was always a shame about the back injuries, as the Mummy films were brilliant... well the first two

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brendan_Fraser#Personal_life
    That's a bit shit. 
  • JiMMy 85 said:
    I was hesitant about watching Bullet Train because of the reviews but I am glad I did - really stupid and silly stuff but thoroughly enjoyable. The cast really do sell it (there's one actor I thought was awful, but she wasn't in it much). Particularly Pitt, Tyree-Henry and Taylor-Johnson. 

Also, Pinocchio. Absolutely brilliant stuff from Guillermo Del Toro. So much better than the Zemeckis/ Hanks/ Disney version. So much more depth having set it against the backdrop of the war and fascism. It's a far better script. Where Disney went for a shot-for-shot remake of a dated cartoon that ultimately feels hollow, Del Toro has re-written the story far more effectively and made something incredibly imaginative. 
    Surely solid wood?
  • The Swimmers on Netflix - very good, based on a true story about refugees from Syria who were training for the olympics
  • edited January 2023
    A few to review concisely:

The Menu - Watchable but a bit silly 6.5/10
    Glass Onion - Not as good as Knifes Out but entertaining enough and er...... a bit silly 7/10.
    Avatar 2- A more than decent sequel. Good story but it can't wow you like the first film did. Not a disapointment by any means though 8/10
    Matilda The Musical - If you like the show, you'll like this. I'm a bit so so on it but can't deny this was well made with some decent songs. 7/10
    And to finish a TV Film:
    Plebs, Soldiers of Rome. If you are not into the series, it might not sell it to you. Being a fan of the series and the characters, I really enjoyed it. 8.5/10
  • Just saw The Menu. I was expecting one of those arty intellectual films with virtually no plot (like for example Invisible Thread) but it was a wild ride, and thoroughly enjoyable in a hilariously black way. Great acting, and beautifully shot. 
    For me. 9 out of 10.
  • Just saw The Menu. I was expecting one of those arty intellectual films with virtually no plot (like for example Invisible Thread) but it was a wild ride, and thoroughly enjoyable in a hilariously black way. Great acting, and beautifully shot. 
    For me. 9 out of 10.
    Must have been watching at around the same time. Absolutely agree with your comments.