Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Residents parking permits for duration ot the Olympics

Comments

• Options
    edited July 2012
    Yup, but thats not the point is it?
    The point being made is that the information isnt out there.

It is.
    Obviously.

PS Even fans from outside Greenwich have access to computers dont they?
  • Options

Shameful people havent bothered reading this information which has been posted for months now.
    http://www.london2012.com/local-residents/local-access-and-parking-plans/

greenwich map of parking
    http://www.london2012.com/mm/Document/Documents/Publications/01/25/26/01/greenwich-park-parking-map-nov-2011_Neutral.pdf

Still, good to have a moan.

Personally, I don't see what all the fuss is about either, but there again I do live in the borough and I have read the information provided to us residents, so none of this is a surprise. It is a bit of an inconvenience, nothing more but as the Games are unlikely to happen again in London in our lifetimes, then perhaps we should just get on with it. The offer for the use of the two permits in order to make attending matches easier still stands!

• Options
    I come to London a couple of times per year and no longer bother hiring a car, its easier just to use public transport and cabs when you need to.

I found that there are so many existing parking restrictions etc, especially in Bexley/New Eltham/Sidcup, that it became too much of a pain in the arse just to get a parking spot.

Last March after the Scunthorpe away game my friends and I could not get an off street park in the whole of Bexley Village and ended up parking illegally in the end because everywhere was Residents Only parking. How does anyone ever have visitors?

God only knows how bad it will be during the OG's.
  • Options

Yup, but thats not the point is it?
    The point being made is that the information isnt out there.

It is.
    Obviously.

PS Even fans from outside Greenwich have access to computers dont they?

Take your point, but it wouldn't necessarily occur to someone living in deepest, darkest Kent to question whether there would be any parking problems when the season starts ...

I'm just grateful to whoever flagged this up at this stage so that we have a few weeks to make alternative arrangements, if possible.

• Options
    I'm sorry, and a little surprised, that news of the Olympic Games being held in London has not spread to deepest darkest Kent. ;-)
  • Options
    Tom Hovi said:

Shameful people havent bothered reading this information which has been posted for months now.
    http://www.london2012.com/local-residents/local-access-and-parking-plans/

greenwich map of parking
    http://www.london2012.com/mm/Document/Documents/Publications/01/25/26/01/greenwich-park-parking-map-nov-2011_Neutral.pdf

Still, good to have a moan.

Personally, I don't see what all the fuss is about either, but there again I do live in the borough and I have read the information provided to us residents, so none of this is a surprise. It is a bit of an inconvenience, nothing more but as the Games are unlikely to happen again in London in our lifetimes, then perhaps we should just get on with it. The offer for the use of the two permits in order to make attending matches easier still stands!

Tom I'll have the permits please. I'm inboxing you now.
  • Options
    edited July 2012
    I've just had a read of Tom Hovi's 1st link & if you can park for 2 hours & then the restrictions end at 7pm. Presumably you can park from 5pm in any case for the evening games.

During the Games, new temporary parking controls in your area will protect parking for residents and businesses. The area covered by these new measures will be known as the resident and business parking protection area (RBPPA).

This area will be made up of:

Operating details
    existing controlled parking zones (CPZs); and
    streets without existing controls, which will be called event day zones (EDZs).

Temporary parking controls will operate in your area from 27 July – 9 September, between 8.30am–7pm,from Monday to Sunday. All parking arrangements will revert to normal after 9 September.

Generally, all vehicles, except motorcycles, will need a parking permit to park on public roads (known as on-street parking) in the RBPPA during the Games. However, vehicles can park in one of the new event day zones in the RBPPA for up to two hours without a permit.

You can see a cover letter and a parking information pack in the section below. It will explain how to register for permits and visitors’ permits in the RBPPA. You can also visit www.2012gamesparkingpermits.com for more information or to register.
  • Options
    Thanks Floyd shame you didn't share this information a few months ago,

I live in the Borough of Greenwich and the restrictions when and where were only bought to our attention by letter a few weeks ago. I was only notified last week my road wasn't excluded, my circumstances were put in the original post.

I wouldn't actually describe people as shameful and haven't bothered to read posted information they are unaware of or if they even knew it was to affect them.

After all unsuspecting illegal parking isn't an Olympic sport yet and it is not an event that anybody would search for.

It is a good thing that now more people are aware of the parking and lane restrictions and don't receive penalty fines whether they live near or far.

• Options
    Passes allocated now - on their way to Covered End and Erik Bakke.
  • Options

I'm sorry, and a little surprised, that news of the Olympic Games being held in London has not spread to deepest darkest Kent. ;-)

To be honest Floyd Fanny is spot on, I live near Sevenoaks and drive to every home game. At no point did I ever associate parking in Charlton on a Saturday afternoon to the Olympic Games.

And just as equally if I was attending the shooting at Woolwich or the horse Jumping in Greenwich Park the last place I would consider parking is Charlton as the two places just don't equate.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Fairy nuff, but what do people expect the council to do?

Personally Email everyone who has ever visited Charlton? Send a monkey-butler with a gilt edged invitation to parking facilities to every household in the country?

No, of course not. They post the details a month in advance to residents (their first priority) and put all the information up months in advance for anyone curious enough from outside the borough.
  • Options
    Floyds whats with the unnecessarily aggressive sarcasm? Its a discussion board.
  • Options

This whole debate is down to the fact that we don't have a decent transport infrastructure to cope with the Olympics. Surely, this was one of the key components of the bid.

I'd like to see the small print which said that Boris would tell us all to stay at home or walk to work during the games.

MAM
    Remember who was in charge when the bid was first put together, campaigned for and won in the knowledge that the transport infrastructure was bursting at the seams?
    Clue - It wasn't Boris.

The Department for Transport have published an interesting report - make of it what you will,
    http://www.dft.gov.uk/topics/london-2012/travel-legacy
    Around £6.5 billion has been invested in upgrading and extending transport links. This means there will be a transport legacy that will benefit the country long after the Games have ended.

Some claims, the first of which should please you as a cyclist

More than 100 walking and cycling schemes on nine routes across London – including some that link the Olympic Park – are being upgraded, as well as paths linking to outer London venues.

One of these routes is The Greenway, a seven kilometre off-road pathway for spectators – including those walking from West Ham, one of the three stations that spectators will use to get to the Park.

Access points, ramps, signage, nearby vegetation and the path itself have been improved, with resting places provided.

Most of these changes will remain after the Games, making The Greenway safer and more appealing to pedestrians and cyclists.

London Underground
    extra capacity on the Jubilee line with a signalling upgrade
    extra capacity on the Central Line
    Southfields step-free and Green Park will be step-free before the Games, a vital accessibility hub

West Coast Main Line upgrade, Channel Tunnel Rail Link, Stratford International station, and class 395 high-speed domestic trains that will, during the Games, provide the Javelin® shuttle service between St Pancras, Stratford International and Ebbsfleet.

London 2012 is investing £125 million to treble capacity and increase accessibility at Stratford Regional Station, where the number of passengers is expected to double to more than 80,000 at peak hours by 2016.

and much much more

• Options

Fairy nuff, but what do people expect the council to do?

Personally Email everyone who has ever visited Charlton? Send a monkey-butler with a gilt edged invitation to parking facilities to every household in the country?

No, of course not. They post the details a month in advance to residents (their first priority) and put all the information up months in advance for anyone curious enough from outside the borough.

Unneccessary.
  • Options
    Why?
  • Options

Why?

You know perfectly well. There's no need to be rude to people who are simple trying to ascertain where they can park.

Just say Solly.
  • Options
    edited July 2012
    Solly
    But a humourous exemplification of the situation was the best I could manage.
    Just re-read my post and I cant see any rudeness to any poster, but a big Chris Solly to anyone who has taken offence.

Seriously then, in your opinion, what more could the council do?
  • Options
    Floyd Montana said :-

"Shameful people havent bothered reading this information which has been posted for months now.

Even fans from outside Greenwich have access to computers dont they?

Send a monkey-butler with a gilt edged invitation to parking facilities to every household in the country?"

Personally, I hadn't considered, that you may not be able to park your cars, within a few miles of The Valley.

Maybe an oversight, but no Olympic events are taking place in Charlton as far as I'm aware.

Therefore, I hadn't considered searching a Greenwich council website in the summer months. I doubt many had.

Not everyone uses computers, particularly elder fans.

No, Greenwich council is not to blame, but neither are the fans for not expecting this scenario.

However, the council without doubt should relax the restrictions on our match days.
  • Options
    The plans should have been in place a lot lot earlier. Local residents have said on this thread they only received details recently, and some hadn't received details until the last few week. Ideally all the plans would have been finalised before Christmas, local residents told in January, and local businesses advised fully in January also, allowing them to pass that information on to their clients/customers in good time.

If the club had received full details of parking restrictions at the start of the year then they could have put details up on the OS and included them in programmes.

There is simply no excuse for the council not having these plans in place at least a year ago, and no excuse for them not giving full details to residents and local business many many months ago. The venues were chosen years ago, so why are parking schemes only being publicised in the last month or two before the games start?
  • Options
    All good points, no arguments there, but does it really matter if people are informed a month in advance or 6 months in advance?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Fuuny that, because as I only live in Swanley I HAD heard about the Olympics , but was under the impression that they ended BEFORE the start of the season, so stupidly I thought that any parking restrictions would not apply AFTER the event.......

and before you mention the Para-olympics - I believe they don't start until sometime in Septemeber, so (again) shouldn't affect the opening matches !!

• Options
    You seem to have completely missed my points Floyd so for that reason...........i'm out
  • Options

Fuuny that, because as I only live in Swanley I HAD heard about the Olympics , but was under the impression that they ended BEFORE the start of the season, so stupidly I thought that any parking restrictions would not apply AFTER the event.......

and before you mention the Para-olympics - I believe they don't start until sometime in Septemeber, so (again) shouldn't affect the opening matches !!

Agreed, (although typing three words into a search engine, then three clicks of the mouse would have brought up the information ;-) ). Plus, you know now, and its still a week until the start of the games and longer until the first Charlton game. Plus I am sure there will be an announcement on the CAFC OS about travel for the game closer to the dates but still in enough time for people to make arrangements.

What is worrying is that the inter-games period is still in a state of flux, which may be the result of trying to reduce the admin costs associated with relaxing then replacing the parking restrictions twixt the games

• Options

So you should be , Floyd....( smiley face ?)

• Options
    Tom Hovi said:

Passes allocated now - on their way to Covered End and Erik Bakke.

Lovely, cheers for that Tom Hovi.

• Options
    edited July 2012
    I just wanted to add...

• Options
    Looking at my residents parking permits and visitor permits that I got sent, they just have 'existing CPZ' on them - no boundary / specific zone...so in theory I can park wherever a zone was already in place? I live in existing zone W (westcombe park) but could do with parking in zone EG every now and again.. ....do others (Curb It?) have similar or are they zone specific (OA etc?)? No explanation with them and not clear online....hmmm..
  • Options

Looking at my residents parking permits and visitor permits that I got sent, they just have 'existing CPZ' on them - no boundary / specific zone...so in theory I can park wherever a zone was already in place? I live in existing zone W (westcombe park) but could do with parking in zone EG every now and again.. ....do others (Curb It?) have similar or are they zone specific (OA etc?)? No explanation with them and not clear online....hmmm..

It sounds like you live within an already established CPZ. When they sent the original plans around, it stated that for the duration of the Games, existing CPZ permits would not be valid but new Games-specific permits would be sent out. These cover the existing CPZ in which you live - hence the description on the permit - and allow you to continue to park within the current CPZ where you are located. They don't allow you to park anywhere other than this area - I think they are colour coded or have some other means of being identifiable to whoever is going to enforce the parking.

Where I live, there is no existing CPZ - it's usually a free area to park. These permits are specifically marked with the relevant zone - in my case 'OB' and have the index number of the car printed on them, so that they can't be used on any other vehicle. We were also supposed to receive two visitors' permits per household, but in the event received four. These are non-vehicle specific and can be used by whoever is visiting your household for an indefinite period of time.
  • Options
    Tom, good thinking - hadn't considered colour...mine are blue, with visitor ones red...will check with friends in other existing CPZs and see what colour theirs are. Cheers
  • Options
    Charlie - The Zone 'OB' permits are sky blue and the visitors ones are pinkish. But they do have a sort of hologram thingy on them like on banknotes, so maybe this is how they are identified. Unless the whole thing is a big bluff and there is nobody to enforce it, the same as the Olympics Lane on the M4!