Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Residents parking permits for duration ot the Olympics

Comments

• Thanks for the replies. Looks like I'll have to deal with more Southeastern crap then for the first few games GRRR I like not having to put up with them at weekends as it allows the murderous tendencies to subside before building up again on Monday :-)
    Lol, Wilma .

Might have to join you - at least you have a season ticket for the train , I presume , whereas myself & Mr F will be somewhat out of pocket ( usually drive to home games in the firm's van/using firm's petrol )

I have a ticket, buy my Mum/Dad/Brother who come with me do not, so they'll have to pay. Still, it's usually me paying via petrol in my car, so I'll be quids in for a change!
  • I know the parking is a pain but surely people can park up further out and jump on a train to Charlton station or get a bus?

The Valley is one of the easier London grounds to get to via public transport.
  • I will be parking over near wricklemarsh about 30 minutes early and strolling to the ground I think
  • I usually drive and park in Sherrington road but as the 486 bus stops at the end of my road I'll use that while the restrictions are on. Not really inconvenient but just elongates the journy but it's better than missing the matches
  • I know the parking is a pain but surely people can park up further out and jump on a train to Charlton station or get a bus?

The Valley is one of the easier London grounds to get to via public transport.
    Yeah, of course they can. But apathy rules, right. The issues are trying to maximise support for the team and minimise distuption for supporters. Now, as the parking scheme runs until 7pm then the club could assist by putting back the evening kick offs - certainly the Orient cup game - till 8pm or maybe even 8:15pm to make things easier for supporters. So, why doesn't it? Presumably even the saturday match could be switched to 8pm or even to Friday night. (I doubt there will be many people from Hull anyway.)
    There's all sorts of stuff that could be done but nobody is actually doing anything to make things just better all round for all concerned.
  • I will be parking over near wricklemarsh about 30 minutes early and strolling to the ground I think
    wricklemarsh is in the zone - won't work for the Hull game am afraid.
    This is exactly my point.

The zone is overkill and an excuse to fleece the unwary or ignorant ordinary punter rather than protect residents parking or whatever other bullshit they claim.

We should be like the more like the French and exercise mass civil disobedience with this parking as well as using the Blair/Cameron lanes on the roads.

We've paid for the bloody things after all!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This is exactly my point.

The zone is overkill and an excuse to fleece the unwary or ignorant ordinary punter rather than protect residents parking or whatever other bullshit they claim.

We should be like the more like the French and exercise mass civil disobedience with this parking as well as using the Blair/Cameron lanes on the roads.

We've paid for the bloody things after all!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Agreed Len. A concert of civil disobedience with our EU brothers. ;0)

• Why did i bother with a season ticket?

I'll have to miss matches because of this fascist imposition
    Jesus Christ, are you for real? If you don't want your season ticket I'll give you a refund myself, if it would only stop the ridiculous whining!

Welcome back Offy!

I should have remembered your anti- motorist tendencies.

Some of us live a long way from the ground so this is an issue. This could cost me 3 home games from my season ticket. Sorry if my moaning on a forum designed for Charlton fans about an issue concerning Charlton fans causes you a problem!
    Afternoon Len.

Not "anti-motorist" at all mate. Yes it will be an inconvenience for a short period, but that hardly warrants cutting off your nose to spite your face and not going to matches does it? Park a bit further away and get a train, or a bus, or even a cab to the ground - turn it into an experience by doing something a bit different for a change. Have lunch somewhere and make a day of it. Park in Eltham and have a little visit to Eltham Palace. You can get a bus (161) direct from there or else it would be about a tenner in a sherbert. Variety is the spice of life.

However, to try and turn the parking restrictions - which are clearly being introduced to try to ensure local residents (who are also motorists) don't get overwhelmed and can park in their own streets - into something akin to the rise of Hitler is a little bit over the top, in my opinion of course.
    I agree with you up to a point - I usually take my Mum & Dad (who have been season ticket holders since returning to the Valley and have supporting the club for over 60 years) who are aged 80 & 77. My dad's legs aren't that great & he had a triple heart bypas a few years back - my mum now gets a bit breathless just walking up the steps at the ground, so all in all getting on & off buses, trains etc isn't really ideal. I know it may only be for afew games but as a few earliers posters have said, why are WE the ones to be inconvenienced and why hasn't anyone from the club said anything about this yet.

Jesus Christ, are you for real? If you don't want your season ticket I'll give you a refund myself, if it would only stop the ridiculous whining!

Welcome back Offy!

Some of us live a long way from the ground so this is an issue. This could cost me 3 home games from my season ticket. Sorry if my moaning on a forum designed for Charlton fans about issue concerning Charlton fans causes you a problem!

So just drive to just outside of the restricted zone and jump on a bus. Will take about 30 mins extra and a couple of quid. Not much of a hardship is it.

Moan, moan, moan.

Actually it is.

Football is supposed to be a pleasure and relaxation not a stressful endurance test.

Hang on we are Charlton fans,we are expert at stressful endurance tests!!!! ; ).
  • Sponsored links:

• The simplest thing would be to lay on more coaches from existing pick up points.
    Bexleyheath, Bromley, Well Hall etc ? Maybe add a couple more.
    Airman ?
  • The simplest thing would be to lay on more coaches from existing pick up points.
    Bexleyheath, Bromley, Well Hall etc ? Maybe add a couple more.
    Airman ?
    Good point covered end, but on my way over to the valley this morning, well hall was very slow, be quicker to walk from the congestion of Haha road I would imagine.
    Loads of signs going up right up to the other side of shooters hill, and those lovely tow away signs.
    I was in Wellington gardens and these two herberts were putting up signs all over the place. If this is for local residents, there was quite a few empty bays. Still we shall see if this is over kill or not.

• Wouldn't surprise me if whatever restrictions Greenwich Council put in place for the Olympics remain in place afterwards, and become permanent. Remember that areas of Greenwich were made Residents Only (who pay £40 or so a year for the privilage) for the Millennium... and they're still in place! It's simply an excuse to get more revenue.
  • Wouldn't surprise me if whatever restrictions Greenwich Council put in place for the Olympics remain in place afterwards, and become permanent. Remember that areas of Greenwich were made Residents Only (who pay £40 or so a year for the privilage) for the Millennium... and they're still in place! It's simply an excuse to get more revenue.
    This is what concerns me.

Assuming it is only temporary, I'll probably try public transport for those games that are affected.
  • edited July 2012
    Why did i bother with a season ticket?

Welcome back Offy!

Some of us live a long way from the ground so this is an issue. This could cost me 3 home games from my season ticket. Sorry if my moaning on a forum designed for Charlton fans about an issue concerning Charlton fans causes you a problem!
    Afternoon Len.

Not "anti-motorist" at all mate. Yes it will be an inconvenience for a short period, but that hardly warrants cutting off your nose to spite your face and not going to matches does it? Park a bit further away and get a train, or a bus, or even a cab to the ground - turn it into an experience by doing something a bit different for a change. Have lunch somewhere and make a day of it. Park in Eltham and have a little visit to Eltham Palace. You can get a bus (161) direct from there or else it would be about a tenner in a sherbert. Variety is the spice of life.

However, to try and turn the parking restrictions - which are clearly being introduced to try to ensure local residents (who are also motorists) don't get overwhelmed and can park in their own streets - into something akin to the rise of Hitler is a little bit over the top, in my opinion of course.
    I agree with you up to a point - I usually take my Mum & Dad (who have been season ticket holders since returning to the Valley and have supporting the club for over 60 years) who are aged 80 & 77. My dad's legs aren't that great & he had a triple heart bypas a few years back - my mum now gets a bit breathless just walking up the steps at the ground, so all in all getting on & off buses, trains etc isn't really ideal. I know it may only be for afew games but as a few earliers posters have said, why are WE the ones to be inconvenienced and why hasn't anyone from the club said anything about this yet.
    If you were any kind of son you would drop them off at the ground, go and park elsewhere then jog back. Oh and leave twn minutes before the end to get the car so they didn't have to hang about waiting for you on their dickie legs afterwards.
    ;o)

Sure the cynical will go on about it somply being a revenue generating exercise, and they may have a point to an extent. But if you lived in the area and couldn't drive your car for fear of not being able to find a space for miles when you return then I reckon you'd have a different view.

In fact, it's pretty selfish for people to suggest that the locals shoudl suffer even more just so they can park near The Valley and not have to walk anywhere.

Two sides to every story, and all that.

Welcome back Offy!

Afternoon Len.

If you were any kind of son you would drop them off at the ground, go and park elsewhere then jog back. Oh and leave twn minutes before the end to get the car so they didn't have to hang about waiting for you on their dickie legs afterwards.
    ;o)

Sure the cynical will go on about it somply being a revenue generating exercise, and they may have a point to an extent. But if you lived in the area and couldn't drive your car for fear of not being able to find a space for miles when you return then I reckon you'd have a different view.

In fact, it's pretty selfish for people to suggest that the locals shoudl suffer even more just so they can park near The Valley and not have to walk anywhere.

Two sides to every story, and all that.
    I believe that the Valley has been there for almost 90 years so I can't see how anyone buying/renting near the ground can complain that they can't park evry other Saturday or the odd Tues evening. I live near Swanley station and often can't park outside my house during the day due to commuters parking there for free instead of parking in the station car park for ££££. I knew the station wa sthere when I bought my house so can't argue.

The fact is this thread is about SEVERE parking restrictions being imposed around the ground during the Olympics with no common sense prevailing. The Olympic group /TFL & CAFC should get together and come up with some form of compromise...........anyone know what events are taking place on the day we play Hull - probably find there is nothing going on in the immeaditae area & so restrictions could be lifted between 2&5pm that day. Then again, taht is too sensible & easy a solution..........

• edited July 2012
    The Olympics finish on Sunday August 12th.

Orient 14th.
    Leicester 21st.
    Hull 25th.

Paralympics August 29 - September 9.

So there are no games of any sort on. What a fu*king liberty.
    So we have to park miles away for no reason at all !
    I think we should get on to our MP'S.
  • if that is the case, why the restrictions - can't they be lifted between the 12th & the 29th ????????/
  • The Olympics finish on Sunday August 12th.
    Orient 14th.
    Leicester 21st.
    Hull 25th.

Paralympics Augst 29 - September 9.
    Mr F parks his work van in Charlton & gets the train for the remainder of his journey when he's working in Central London . Told him last night about the new restrictions ...

Anyway, he decided to take a look for himself this morning & discovered that they come into force on 27th July and continue until 9th September ...

Not good news for those of us that drive to home games.

• edited July 2012
    if that is the case, why the restrictions - can't they be lifted between the 12th & the 29th ????????/
    They obviously should be, but I suppose that would mean the signs were ridiculously long winded or they would have to print 2 lots of signs and be putting the signs up now, down when the olympics finish, then a new sign up for the paralympics and then changes back to normal at the end.

I can see their point of view, but Charlton should attempt to get these restictions lifted on match days surely ???????

I'm still waiting for Airman to comment.
  • Sponsored links:

• if that is the case, why the restrictions - can't they be lifted between the 12th & the 29th ????????/
    They obviously should be, but I suppose that would mean the signs were ridiculously long winded or they would have to print 2 lots of signs and be putting the signs up now, down when the olympics finish, then a new sign up for the paralympics and then changes back to normal at the end.

I can see their point of view, but Charlton should attempt to get these restictions lifted on match days surely ???????

Airman is probably at this moment driving round Charlton trying to find somewhere to park his car!
  • I reckon you just need to tap up a resident.... I live in a controlled parking zone already (pay £90 odd a year just for the joy of being able to park my car near where I live), but am entitled to two free visitor permits for the duration of the restrictions... They sent me four yesterday...and then did the same for my wife and her car, so we now have eight visitor permits for our house alone...
  • I received 4 visitor permits (instead of two) but dont live in Charlton anymore, if anyone I know wants to walk from Plumstead common you can borrow one - bit of a trek tho.

Basically if you live within 30 minute walk of an Olympic event there are restrictions. Hopefully there will be some common sense used during the period between the Olympics and Paralympics and it would be good if the Club could try and get some clarification on this from the Council.

For those of you moaning about not being able to drive to a football game and park at just a couple of games and the expense, etc - think of those who need to drive around the area just to get to work. Luckily I don't have to drive but I do feel sorry for anyone who has to. Or those that get sick during this time as its going to be a complete nightmare getting in and out of the hospital and for the elderly and sick people who need home visits - its going to be complete chaos in our little area let alone the rest of London.

Still I cant wait for it all to happen.

• edited July 2012
    if that is the case, why the restrictions - can't they be lifted between the 12th & the 29th ????????/

10,000 season tickets sold and therefore money in the Club's bin.

Call me a cynic if you like but, with the money aleady in their mitts, will the Club worry if fans are unable to use the tickets they've paid for?

Another consideration is the anti-motorist nature of the LIBLABCON, especially the LIBLAB bit. Why would the Club run the risk of upsetting the fanatical anti-motorist zealots on Greenwich Council and elsewhere when they might want future favours from them?

A final thought is that Airman, as a committed Labour politician, probably agrees with the anti-motorist stance anyway.
  • I can't believe you think our club, with the great record it has, would treat its fans so badly.

I also think it's pretty unfair to believe AB would put his political beliefs infront of his loyalty to the club.

10,000 season tickets sold and therefore money in the Club's bin.

Call me a cynic if you like but, with the money aleady in their mitts, will the Club worry if fans are unable to use the tickets they've paid for?

Another consideration is the anti-motorist nature of the LIBLABCON, especially the LIBLAB bit. Why would the Club run the risk of upsetting the fanatical anti-motorist zealots on Greenwich Council and elsewhere when they might want future favours from them?

A final thought is that Airman, as a committed Labour politician, probably agrees with the anti-motorist stance anyway.

Len... with the greatest respect, your post makes you sound a bit mental. :-)
  • I can't believe you think our club, with the great record it has, would treat its fans so badly.

I also think it's pretty unfair to believe AB would put his political beliefs infront of his loyalty to the club.
    I'm obviously not suggesting that the Club would deliberately treat its fans badly!

The Club has not introduced these draconian parking measures so how could I be?

What I am saying is that we are talking about circumstances beyond the Club's control with Olympic fascism. Other posters have suggested that the club should get involved. I'm merely posting views as to why I think it unlikely, in reality, that they will.
  • You suggested the club would not care as they already have peoples money, I'd say that's pretty bad treatment.
  • edited July 2012
    You suggested the club would not care as they already have peoples money, I'd say that's pretty bad treatment.
    It's not bad treatment it's a fact that they already have the money.
  • When ever I see Len post at the moment I think of this