Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Residents parking permits for duration ot the Olympics

Comments

• Options
    All the way down shooters hill ,side roads etc are in the new parking restriction zones.

Still love the three electronic signs that tell you to avoid the area --one outside Charlton Lido one before the Sun in sands and one the other side of sun in the sands----------------not sure what residents are supposed to do.

If you get a chance (with little traffic about) check out the zil lane markings on the S in the Sands rounds about on the shootershill side and where the 89 bus turns from shooters hill road in Princess of Wales road ???????????????????? no friggin idea what they mean or what you do.
  • Options

If you get a chance (with little traffic about) check out the zil lane markings on the S in the Sands rounds about on the shootershill side and where the 89 bus turns from shooters hill road in Princess of Wales road ???????????????????? no friggin idea what they mean or what you do.

The best one of all these is in Central London where you turn right from New Oxford Street into Southampton Row/Kingsway. On the left is an existing bus lane, which is 24/7 and immediately to the right of this is marked a 'Zil' Lane, so on the face of it you are screwed both ways! Apparently, when the Zil Lane is active, you'll be able to drive in the bus lane, which will be suspended but there is nothing to inform you of this fact. It's really badly laid out and poorly designed. Can see this one causing chaos. So glad I'm going on holiday!

• Options
    I have a blue CPZ one (in Charlton) with visitor ones being pink so guess I can park anywhere in the borough.

Also, I have absolutely no problem with the borough giving me a free permit to make sure I can park in my own road
  • Options

I have a blue CPZ one (in Charlton) with visitor ones being pink so guess I can park anywhere in the borough.

Also, I have absolutely no problem with the borough giving me a free permit to make sure I can park in my own road

No you can only park in your home zone - there should have been a map in the envelope with the coloured zones showing where you can park

• Options
    Has anyone warned Hull fans about this?
  • Options

Has anyone warned Hull fans about this?

We haven't been told officially by the club yet ! Hopefully they are doing something behind the scenes where it is lifted on match days .
  • Options
    Very good point, parking tickets and zero points to take back to Hull.
  • Options
    Chased my permits up this morning as its been a couple of weeks since requesting them, was told that there was a problem and that many have had to be recalled due to incorrect information on them and that they HOPED it would be corrected before restrictions came into effect.
  • Options
    smiffyboy said:

Chased my permits up this morning as its been a couple of weeks since requesting them, was told that there was a problem and that many have had to be recalled due to incorrect information on them and that they HOPED it would be corrected before restrictions came into effect.

Chuffing hell. I've been waiting about three weeks for mine. Restriction kick off on Friday.

• Options

If they can't process the permits on time surely the restrictions cannot be enforced.

I wonder if the Olympic spectators have been informed of the local parking restrictions.

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    I wonder if there is any way of finding out just how much money is made from this parking restriction thing.
  • Options

I wonder if there is any way of finding out just how much money is made from this parking restriction thing.

No money being made yet from it as the permits are issued free of charge. I guess that once the games are over, you could do a Freedom of Information request to discover how much has been levied in fines for parking and driving in the Zil lanes. Can't say I'm too bothered myself as I won't be in London for the duration!

• Options
    mickc said:

If they can't process the permits on time surely the restrictions cannot be enforced.

I wonder if the Olympic spectators have been informed of the local parking restrictions.

all Olympic ticket holders have been informed that they must arrive by public transport
  • Options
    Crusty54 said:

mickc said:

all Olympic ticket holders have been informed that they must arrive by public transport
    Free travelcards with tickets.
    How good is that?
    Brilliant idea and organisation.
  • Options
    LenGlover said:

I seem to be in a very small minority judging by the reaction to my views on the thread.

Most people responding seem happy or at least tolerant towards these draconian parking restrictions so I don't think I'd have a lot of success organising anything do you even if my ticker could take it!

I do wonder though how many of those so assiduously defending the Olympic Fascists actually live within walking distance of the ground with their own off street parking or don't drive anyway but that's another issue and life is too short frankly.

Now I have a grandson my wife and I should really be travelling to see him at the weekends rather than watching football so perhaps all this has done me a favour in a roundabout way and made me realise what is important.

£500 (in round figures) is a lot of money to write off but I've made bigger mistakes in my life.

Well Len I have some sympathy but just a suggestion if you park in the road where I live in Welling the 486 bus will take you right to the gound which could be a compromise. Not sure if this works for you but it's an idea.
  • Options
    edited July 2012
    Dave, didn't you read the bit about "the nutters on the bus"?

I'd be amazed if Len gave up his season ticket over a few matches where parking is restricted... But it's his decision and I suspect he'd be back in Sept if not earlier :-)
  • Options
    just realised yesterday that my missus has an all zones parking permit for the Olympics....of no interest to anyone else I'm sure, but handy for me!
  • Options

LenGlover said:

I seem to be in a very small minority judging by the reaction to my views on the thread.

Most people responding seem happy or at least tolerant towards these draconian parking restrictions so I don't think I'd have a lot of success organising anything do you even if my ticker could take it!

I do wonder though how many of those so assiduously defending the Olympic Fascists actually live within walking distance of the ground with their own off street parking or don't drive anyway but that's another issue and life is too short frankly.

Now I have a grandson my wife and I should really be travelling to see him at the weekends rather than watching football so perhaps all this has done me a favour in a roundabout way and made me realise what is important.

£500 (in round figures) is a lot of money to write off but I've made bigger mistakes in my life.

Well Len I have some sympathy but just a suggestion if you park in the road where I live in Welling the 486 bus will take you right to the gound which could be a compromise. Not sure if this works for you but it's an idea.

Just out of interest Dave how long does the 486 take to get from Welling to The Valley on a saturday afternoon?
  • Options
    I get on at Sherwood Road/Bellgrove road junction and usually 30 mins max but on one occasion 45 minutes but I usually leave home at 1.30p.m. Bus every 20 minutes it's really OK
  • Options
    Charlton Athletic FC - Official
    The club is having discussions with the Royal Borough of Greenwich regarding parking restrictions that will be in effect around the club's stadium throughout the Olympic Games.

In addition to the existing controlled parking zone, the local authority has established temporary event zones around The Valley as venues such as Woolwich Barracks, Greenwich Park and the North Greenwich Arena host Olympic events.

Although no events coincide with Charlton's matchdays, the club has clarified that the parking controls will apply for the full period of the Olympics and Paralympics, and between the competitions, from July 27th to September 9th, from 8.30am-7pm. (MW) http://www.cafc.co.uk/page/NewsDetail/0,,10267~2859113,00.html
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Wilma said:

Thanks for the replies. Looks like I'll have to deal with more Southeastern crap then for the first few games GRRR I like not having to put up with them at weekends as it allows the murderous tendencies to subside before building up again on Monday :-)
    Lol, Wilma .

Might have to join you - at least you have a season ticket for the train , I presume , whereas myself & Mr F will be somewhat out of pocket ( usually drive to home games in the firm's van/using firm's petrol )

I have a ticket, buy my Mum/Dad/Brother who come with me do not, so they'll have to pay. Still, it's usually me paying via petrol in my car, so I'll be quids in for a change!

If your season ticket is an annual 'gold card' it should entitle you to discounts on up to four tickets purchased for people travelling with you.
  • Options
    Thanks Wickford, only get a weekly ticket for a number of bizarre reasons - plus I pay for petrol all season round so they can pay up for their own travel costs for once!
  • Options

Why did i bother with a season ticket?

I agree with you up to a point - I usually take my Mum & Dad (who have been season ticket holders since returning to the Valley and have supporting the club for over 60 years) who are aged 80 & 77. My dad's legs aren't that great & he had a triple heart bypas a few years back - my mum now gets a bit breathless just walking up the steps at the ground, so all in all getting on & off buses, trains etc isn't really ideal. I know it may only be for afew games but as a few earliers posters have said, why are WE the ones to be inconvenienced and why hasn't anyone from the club said anything about this yet.
    Without wishing to presume, do your parents have a disabled parking blue badge? If not, they certainly should apply for one. Blue Badge parking permissions apply as normal through the Olympic period. (Up to three hours.)
  • Options
    Going to women's football at Coventry tomorrow - free shuttle buses from train station or free park and walk scheme to keep the three supporters cars (OK, the crowd may be a bit bigger than that) away from residential roads.
  • Options
    edited July 2012
    Wilma said:

Thanks Wickford, only get a weekly ticket for a number of bizarre reasons - plus I pay for petrol all season round so they can pay up for their own travel costs for once!

Wilma, there is also a 'group travel' discount available for parties of two buying off-peak or super off-peak (whatever that is!) entitling third and fourth travellers to discounted tickets. You would, of course, need to check details at your local station but it works from Greater Anglia in Essex. You can also add four kids for a quid each (starts searching for some kids to get my money's-worth!)
  • Options
    Wickford, you are more of a trainspotter than me - and I've been to the National Railway Museum in York voluntarily! Thanks :-)

PS - the museum is well worth a visit to anyone in the area, and it's free!
  • Options
    Wilma, I travel up to Camden for work from the deepest, darkest. You just get to know these things from looking around during the interminable delays!
  • Options
    Charlton lido is now open again with parking for about 20 cars inside the park, pay and display £1 an hour for upto 8 hours
  • Options
    I'm still waiting for my parking permits to arrive. The restrictions start on friday !
  • Options
    Same here mate