Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Residents parking permits for duration ot the Olympics

Comments

• Options
    Drive closer then and then get public transport or get yourself a good book for the journey. at least you can read the programme the whole way home on the 161.
    Or contribute to the post match postings on your smartphone! ;-)
  • Options
    In recent seasons I've started (Saturday games) to walk from my home in Bexley through Danson Park, pick up an 89 bus near Wellings ground, get off at Charlton lido and walk down to the ground. Plenty of excercise, stress free and normally home again by 6 in time for the Motown show on Smooth Radio. Simples.
  • Options
    edited July 2012
    you can. you can just park further away.
    If its a reasonable walk I will but I will not be getting on buses, trains or taxi's to complete the journey
    This. I will get the train to the matches but if they are disrupted ( which they almost certainly will ) i will not go to the matches - End of. Even though we have season tickets . There is no way i'm going by car then park up a few miles away and get a Taxi or bus. I don't do buses as they are full of nutters.
  • Options
    Sorry Len, you mean you're not going to bother going this season at all now because you won't be able to park in your usual spot for a couple of games? Up to you, of course.

However, you keep throwing the terms "fascists" and "fascism" around like they're confetti.

Either you have no real understanding of what the terms mean or you are using them deliberately just to get some sort of reaction. As I said before, inferring that the impostion of some temprorary parking restrictions near Olympic venues is somehow akin to the rise of the Third Reich, as you did previously, is actually quite offensive and, in my view, belittles both your argument and the events of the 30's/40's.

(By the way, I still think you owe Airman an apology for your previous accusations - which he answered - but I guess we're in for a long wait on that one)

Fascist
  • Options
    Thanks B and C but its that 25/30 minute walk to Chislehurst station I'm trying to avoid especially after an evening game. Might try to get the other half to give us a lift
  • Options
    Over 30's dont belong on buses
  • Options
    Wasn't it said before that if you use buses after the age of 30 you have failed in life?

Always makes me chuckle as I sit atop the 54 with the rest of the scum.
  • Options
    If its a reasonable walk I will but I will not be getting on buses, trains or taxi's to complete the journey
    This. I will get the train to the matches but if they are disrupted ( which they almost certainly will ) i will not go to the matches - End of. Even though we have season tickets . There is no way i'm going by car then park up a few miles away and get a Taxi or bus. I don't do buses as they are full of nutters.
    Didn't realise we had quite so many snobs that supported Charlton. All this cutting your nose off to spite your face attitude is surprising though. Enjoy your afternoon at home sulking all of you.

Me and my fellow nutters will be at The Valley. Enjoying ourselves.
  • Options
    Wasn't it said before that if you use buses after the age of 30 you have failed in life?

Always makes me chuckle as I sit atop the 54 with the rest of the scum.
    Maggie Thatcher famously said it and I agree

I'm only 29 and I get the 132 so I'm alright
  • Options
    Ha ha.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited July 2012
    Didn't realise we had quite so many snobs that supported Charlton. All this cutting your nose off to spite your face attitude is surprising though. Enjoy your afternoon at home sulking all of you.

Not snobs at all. Just people who live a long way from the ground and face a difficult enough journey as it is without further needless aggravation and have decided to cut their losses.

Very easy for people living on the door step to moralise.
  • Options
    edited July 2012

Not snobs at all. Just people who live a long way from the ground and face a difficult enough journey as it is without further needless aggravation and have decided to cut their losses.

Very easy for people living on the door step to moralise.
    I don't live on the doorstep, although granted I live close to The Valley than you do, but I dont think the world owes ME a favour - which seriously is how dramatic you sound in your posts about this inconvenience.

I'm being inconvenienced by the Olympics in terms of being asked to not travel to and from work every day for over a month in the way that I have done for years, and i know I'm ranting about that on a seperate thread, but that's for work and that's a compulsory thing that I have to do and no consideration has been given to millions of londoners. Charlton Athletic matches during this period and visits to The Valley are our hobby and are meant to be fun. I understand it's awkward for people to adjust plans, but perhaps there will be a solution before the 3/4 dates arrive, perhaps you could speak to a kind fellow lifer who may lend you a driveway or a visitor pass, maybe see it as a treat to travel in a different way to the game that might surprise you and be enjoyable. It is just 3/4 times. I can actually imagine you stamping your foot with your bottom lip poked out in a sulk about this.
  • Options
    edited July 2012

Lol - that's the first time in my 43 years I've ever been called a snob !
    Nothing snobbish about not wanting to travel on buses it's just that I've experienced some of the cretins that travel on them ( present company accepted ) and I don't want my kids to have to put up with or experiance some of South London's infamous anti social behaviour .
  • Options
    park at selhurst and get the 75 bus back to the valley. it only takes 25 minutes apparently.
  • Options
    Len, my last comment on this - honest, mate! (and I hope you don't think that I'm picking on you at all).

By your take on the word "facsist", which you are clearly so much against as a concept, couldn't it be argued that the people who set the rules about not standing in seating areas at football matches be called "seating fascists", ie them telling everyone else what they HAVE to do?

But you were in favour of that, weren't you?
    ;o)
  • Options
    edited July 2012

Lol - that's the first time in my 43 years I've ever been called a snob !
    Nothing snobbish about not wanting to travel on buses it's just that I've experienced some of the cretins that travel on them ( present company accepted ) and I don't want my kids to have to put up with or experiance some of South London's infamous anti social behaviour .
    You're taking them to The Valley! Higher concentration of anti social behaviour all in the same place at the same time :-)
  • Options
    This whole debate is down to the fact that we don't have a decent transport infrastructure to cope with the Olympics. Surely, this was one of the key components of the bid.

I'd like to see the small print which said that Boris would tell us all to stay at home or walk to work during the games.
  • Options
    edited July 2012
    Len, my last comment on this - honest, mate! (and I hope you don't think that I'm picking on you at all).

By your take on the word "facsist", which you are clearly so much against as a concept, couldn't it be argued that the people who set the rules about not standing in seating areas at football matches be called "seating fascists", ie them telling everyone else what they HAVE to do?

But you were in favour of that, weren't you?
    ;o)
    OK Offy I'll bite!

The fundamental difference is that all seated stadia (in theory anyway) were approved by a democratically elected government.

http://www.safetyatsportsgrounds.org.uk/reg/allseated.php

These draconian parking measures have, apparently, been thrust on local people without consultation "out of the blue." No Parliamentary, or even elected local councillor input, at all to the best of my knowledge.

That is the main difference in the two scenarios.

The reason I feel people should sit is that there is no freedom of movement within a full all seater stadium therefore the elderly, infirm or vertically challenged simply cannot see the game they have purchased tickets for from their hard earned money.

That situation for me is morally wrong, discounting any legal considerations, and is another reason I support sitting.

But you knew that because we've had this discussion before!
  • Options
    http://www.royalgreenwich.gov.uk/downloads/200024/consultations

it seems there was a consultation process in greenwich.
  • Options
    Ok Len, I lied.

I don;t remember the consultation about all seater stadia - must've missed that. And isn't the Council democratically elected, whether we agree with their decisions or not (same as central Government)?

But don't worry about me. I can't see what the problem is (or why the "f" word was being used so liberally), but I daresay I'll live.

Will buy you a pint at one of out home games during the Olympics, just to make it clear there are no hard feelings.

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    Ok Len, I lied.

Will buy you a pint at one of out home games during the Olympics, just to make it clear there are no hard feelings.

That's generous of you Offy, considering Len won't be there :-)
  • Options
    I presume Valley Express will be running for the Kent based supporters and any one who lives within the M25 will find public transport no issue to The Valley so cannot see this affecting too many people if they really want to go.
  • Options
    I presume Valley Express will be running for the Kent based supporters and any one who lives within the M25 will find public transport no issue to The Valley so cannot see this affecting too many people if they really want to go.
    And there's the solution.
  • Options
    It's been pointed out that parking in free bays is available for up to two hours free of charge, so in practice supporters can use these from 5pm for evening games even under these arrangements. I'm not sure, however, to what extent people park in bays or on single yellow lines that will remain in force until 7pm.

We are talking to the council about these issues.
  • Options
    I've been reading some of the comments with interest and felt I should add my understanding of the restrictions as I too am in one of the zones.

I do not believe there is any period of grace from 8.30 until 7pm on any day - there is just no parking without a special olympics permit. This applies to all parking areas including those currently under permit schemes. Those with a current Greenwich permit will get a ticket if they do not display the special olympics permit. Current resident and visitors permits are invalid during the games and will not protect cars from the wardens. Anyone with one needs to apply for the special permits for this period.

The borough has been divided into various zones and the permits (visitors and residents) are not interchangeable - they are only for their specific zone (OA OB BK etc). So, for example I can park in parts of Charlton and Blackheath but I can't park in Woolwich or Greenwich or other parts of Blackheath - if I do I can get a ticket.

There is a lot of confusion surrounding this and there are undoubtedly going to be lots of unhappy residents and visitors getting tickets when they think they are protected. I understand even protected / gated parking is not safe either without the permits. So unless it is on private property on a drive etc then theoretically any car within the zone without a zone specific permit is at risk of a ticket or tow away.
  • Options
    Curb_It said:

It doesnt Ben if you get off at the hospital and walk that last bit, avoid going into Woolwich as that takes ages.

on some days like today the 161 is not running via the hospital. Running direct via Academy Road.

Repository Road is closed from 0600 to 2000.

• Options
    edited July 2012
    As the Council have sent four visitor permits per household, I have two spare visitors permits for Zone 'OB' which covers Canberra, Hornfair, Montcalm, Indus, Sutlej Roads etc., Marlborough Lane, Charlton Park Lane - that sort of area. If there are two Lifers who would like to claim them - first come, first served - then please message me on here or off forum with their address and I will pop them in the post to you. Please let me know by the end of next week if interested.
  • Options
    It is shameful that the Olympic committees and local councils have not made the restrictions clearer.

With only eight days to go we are all on this forum having to discuss the problems imposed on us and attempting to clarify times zones and dates.

• Options
    edited July 2012
    Shameful people havent bothered reading this information which has been posted for months now.
    http://www.london2012.com/local-residents/local-access-and-parking-plans/

greenwich map of parking
    http://www.london2012.com/mm/Document/Documents/Publications/01/25/26/01/greenwich-park-parking-map-nov-2011_Neutral.pdf

Still, good to have a moan.
  • Options

Shameful people havent bothered reading this information which has been posted for months now.
    http://www.london2012.com/local-residents/local-access-and-parking-plans/

greenwich map of parking
    http://www.london2012.com/mm/Document/Documents/Publications/01/25/26/01/greenwich-park-parking-map-nov-2011_Neutral.pdf

Still, good to have a moan.

The majority of fans don't live in the Borough of Greenwich, Floyd.