Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Residents parking permits for duration ot the Olympics

Comments

• Options
    You suggested the club would not care as they already have peoples money, I'd say that's pretty bad treatment.
    It's not bad treatment it's a fact that they already have the money.
    Residents were only told about these restrictions about a month ago or maybe 6 weeks. Suddenly all these letters appeared on everyone's doorsteps, they came out of the blue. So it has been quite a sudden thing.

• Options
    You suggested the club would not care as they already have peoples money, I'd say that's pretty bad treatment.
    I'm not disputing that. What I do dispute is the part about the club not bothering to do anything as they already have the money.
  • Options
    The club would want you to attend games as you and other fans would be likely/expected to spend money in the viscinity, in the shop, kiosk, bartrams etc.

It would be in their interests to gain some clarity regarding the arrangements, however inconvenient it seems for you, it's not every day, it's 3 or 4 times you may have to alter your long standing arrangements to visit Charlton for a once in a lifetime event.

• Options
    I'm not disputing that. What I do dispute is the part about the club not bothering to do anything as they already have the money.
    What can the Club do?

Just as their hands are tied when Sky moves matches to inconvenient times for supporters so their hands are similarly tied by Olympic fascism.

As supporters we should wage a campaign of civil disobedience to these unreasonable measures in my opinion but that will never happen.
  • Options
    if that is the case, why the restrictions - can't they be lifted between the 12th & the 29th ????????/
    They obviously should be, but I suppose that would mean the signs were ridiculously long winded or they would have to print 2 lots of signs and be putting the signs up now, down when the olympics finish, then a new sign up for the paralympics and then changes back to normal at the end.

I can see their point of view, but Charlton should attempt to get these restictions lifted on match days surely ???????

I'm still waiting for Airman to comment.
    10,000 season tickets sold and therefore money in the Club's bin.

Call me a cynic if you like but, with the money aleady in their mitts, will the Club worry if fans are unable to use the tickets they've paid for?

Another consideration is the anti-motorist nature of the LIBLABCON, especially the LIBLAB bit. Why would the Club run the risk of upsetting the fanatical anti-motorist zealots on Greenwich Council and elsewhere when they might want future favours from them?

A final thought is that Airman, as a committed Labour politician, probably agrees with the anti-motorist stance anyway.
    Oddly enough, I was recently accused by my Tory opposite number in Thanet of pandering to motorists by reducing their planned parking charge increase from 9 per cent to 4 per cent . . .

We will look at this issue. There is still more than a month to the first League game and tickets are not yet on sale for it, so it's a bit premature for us to have announced plans to deal with it already.
  • Options
    Who wants to start the Petition? Wally?
  • Options
    if that is the case, why the restrictions - can't they be lifted between the 12th & the 29th ????????/
    They obviously should be, but I suppose that would mean the signs were ridiculously long winded or they would have to print 2 lots of signs and be putting the signs up now, down when the olympics finish, then a new sign up for the paralympics and then changes back to normal at the end.

I can see their point of view, but Charlton should attempt to get these restictions lifted on match days surely ???????

Call me a cynic if you like but, with the money aleady in their mitts, will the Club worry if fans are unable to use the tickets they've paid for?

Another consideration is the anti-motorist nature of the LIBLABCON, especially the LIBLAB bit. Why would the Club run the risk of upsetting the fanatical anti-motorist zealots on Greenwich Council and elsewhere when they might want future favours from them?

A final thought is that Airman, as a committed Labour politician, probably agrees with the anti-motorist stance anyway.
    Oddly enough, I was recently accused by my Tory opposite number in Thanet of pandering to motorists by reducing their planned parking charge increase from 9 per cent to 4 per cent . . .

We will look at this issue. There is still more than a month to the first League game and tickets are not yet on sale for it, so it's a bit premature for us to have announced plans to deal with it already.
    Glad to hear it re the Tories in Thanet Airman! A nasty bunch in my opinion who did untold damage to Margate FC from which it has never really recovered.

Thanks for responding.
  • Options
    Just like to thank a fellow lifer for offering me a permit or two for the Olympics games parking.( as a result of posting on here)
    Of course I would have got to the match,( even if I had to walk) but on at least one occassion I am travelling back from a wedding the previous day in Reading, so would have had a car load having to come back, with me stressing out, and my blood pressure can do without that at present.
    I am hoping to take 3 other season ticket holders, one travelling up from the South coast, with a bad leg at present so he is really grateful as well.
    Charlton fan's are like that, I am most grateful.
  • Options
    edited July 2012

Len, you need to calm down mate. That post is so full of holes and spurious accusations that you may end up getting yourself in trouble - that is if your ticker lasts the day.

Nobody is telling you you can't use your season ticket. Nobody is stopping you going to the games.

As for the "civil disobedience" thing - why don't you organise someting then, if it means that much to you? (which clearly it seems to). I'm sure others would join in and support it.

(And I think you owe Airman an apology.)
  • Options
    edited July 2012

Len, you need to calm down mate. That post is so full of holes and spurious accusations that you may end up getting yourself in trouble - that is if your ticker lasts the day.

Nobody is telling you you can't use your season ticket. Nobody is stopping you going to the games.

As for the "civil disobedience" thing - why don't you organise someting then, if it means that much to you? (which clearly it seems to). I'm sure others would join in and support it.

(And I think you owe Airman an apology.)
    I seem to be in a very small minority judging by the reaction to my views on the thread.

Most people responding seem happy or at least tolerant towards these draconian parking restrictions so I don't think I'd have a lot of success organising anything do you even if my ticker could take it!

I do wonder though how many of those so assiduously defending the Olympic Fascists actually live within walking distance of the ground with their own off street parking or don't drive anyway but that's another issue and life is too short frankly.

Now I have a grandson my wife and I should really be travelling to see him at the weekends rather than watching football so perhaps all this has done me a favour in a roundabout way and made me realise what is important.

£500 (in round figures) is a lot of money to write off but I've made bigger mistakes in my life.

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    Sorry Len, you mean you're not going to bother going this season at all now because you won't be able to park in your usual spot for a couple of games? Up to you, of course.

However, you keep throwing the terms "fascists" and "fascism" around like they're confetti.

Either you have no real understanding of what the terms mean or you are using them deliberately just to get some sort of reaction. As I said before, inferring that the impostion of some temprorary parking restrictions near Olympic venues is somehow akin to the rise of the Third Reich, as you did previously, is actually quite offensive and, in my view, belittles both your argument and the events of the 30's/40's.

(By the way, I still think you owe Airman an apology for your previous accusations - which he answered - but I guess we're in for a long wait on that one)

• Options
    Sorry Len, you mean you're not going to bother going this season at all now because you won't be able to park in your usual spot for a couple of games? Up to you, of course.

However, you keep throwing the terms "fascists" and "fascism" around like they're confetti.

Either you have no real understanding of what the terms mean or you are using them deliberately just to get some sort of reaction. As I said before, inferring that the impostion of some temprorary parking restrictions near Olympic venues is somehow akin to the rise of the Third Reich, as you did previously, is actually quite offensive and, in my view, belittles both your argument and the events of the 30's/40's.

(By the way, I still think you owe Airman an apology for your previous accusations - which he answered - but I guess we're in for a long wait on that one)

As Saga (I think it was) suggested higher up the thread these parking zones will almost certainly be here to stay as money will be made from them. If that is the case then I will indeed no longer be able to attend matches. If I can't drive and park I can't come. Simple as that really.

I find any other form of travel stressful in the extreme. A shortcoming within me, yes, as you will no doubt eagerly tell me. I sometimes have to put myself through it for work purposes as I have no option but am not prepared to do so for what is meant to be an enjoyable leisure activity. The penalty of living a long way from the ground I guess.

Such possiblities have made me think about my commitment to attending Charlton I freely admit.

Fascism was (is) totalitarian in nature as are these parking restrictions. Curb_it has already mentioned that there was no consultation with residents or anybody else. I therefore consider it reasonable to refer to Olympic Fascists.

As regards the Airman I expressed a probability not a certainty and have indeed commented subsequently to his response. I therefore see no need to apologise in the circumstances.
  • Options
    the same was said about the Millennium parking restrictions which were lifted on January 1st 2001 as promised.

There had always been talk of parking restricitions for the Olympics, and as someone who lives 200 yards away from a venue I would have been furious if Greenwich Council hadn't put these in place to protect residents first. Greenwich is a borough which is easy to get arouund so parking in Charlton or Woolwich makes sense for people attending events in Greenwich or at Olympic Park/ExCeL

Len, all you show his is your personal entitlement to behave in an manner that is throughly 'as long as I'm alright'.
  • Options
    edited July 2012

As Saga (I think it was) suggested higher up the thread these parking zones will almost certainly be here to stay as money will be made from them. If that is the case then I will indeed no longer be able to attend matches. If I can't drive and park I can't come. Simple as that really.
    I think it's a bit OTT to suggest these additional zones will become permanent. The published notices only apply during the JUly 27th-September 9th period; the council would have to readvertise them to extend them and consult. It's unlikely residents would support parking controls where there is usually no parking problem, especially as they'd have to pay themselves.

I've not been an unqualified admirer of Greenwich Council over the years, but the relationship with the club is a long way from what it 20 years ago and I am very confident that it wouldn't seek to impose a draconian scheme in the long-term if it was likely to have such a negative effect on the football club.

We'll let people know what is happening for the three games (possibly four if we beat Orient and are drawn at home again) after we've clarified the facts and discussed any impacts internally.
  • Options
    edited July 2012
    If it affected me and I had an aversion to public transport I'd park in Lee, south of Lee High Road/Eltham Road (eg Burnt Ash Road/Hill) and get a taxi to Floyd Road. Or if I could stretch myself to get on a bus, I'd catch a 202 to Blackheath Standard and stroll down to The Valley. It is only in operation for a few games. I must say I understand that it is changing your routine, but, I must say that my sympathy doesn't extend to you Len, as you seem quite blinkered in your views in terms of how unfair it is that it affects you and the local residents. A solution for residents has been found, albeit late. However, there are plenty of other supporters who will be unable to go because they can't walk very far and a solution for those Addicks should be organised by fellow fans / the club for the minor amount of games affected, not just because a fan that lives far away from a game is not prepared to use public transport on a couple of occassions.

• Options

We'll let people know what is happening for the three games (possibly four if we beat Orient and are drawn at home again) after we've clarified the facts and discussed any impacts internally.
    Glad to see you're not taking the G4S "Just in time" approach Airman!
  • Options
    the same was said about the Millennium parking restrictions which were lifted on January 1st 2001 as promised.

There had always been talk of parking restricitions for the Olympics, and as someone who lives 200 yards away from a venue I would have been furious if Greenwich Council hadn't put these in place to protect residents first. Greenwich is a borough which is easy to get arouund so parking in Charlton or Woolwich makes sense for people attending events in Greenwich or at Olympic Park/ExCeL

Len, all you show his is your personal entitlement to behave in an manner that is throughly 'as long as I'm alright'.
    Quote: InCurbswetrusted (not Saga sorry!)

...."Wouldn't surprise me if whatever restrictions Greenwich Council put in place for the Olympics remain in place afterwards, and become permanent. Remember that areas of Greenwich were made Residents Only (who pay £40 or so a year for the privilage) for the Millennium... and they're still in place! It's simply an excuse to get more revenue.".....

As I understand it the World Best Pharmacist Championships start on 27 July and finish on 12 August so why are there parking restrictions until 9 September?

• Options
    If it affected me and I had an aversion to public transport I'd park in Lee, south of Lee High Road/Eltham Road (eg Burnt Ash Road/Hill) and get a taxi to Floyd Road. Or if I could stretch myself to get on a bus, I'd catch a 202 to Blackheath Standard and stroll down to The Valley. It is only in operation for a few games. I must say I understand that it is changing your routine, but, I must say that my sympathy doesn't extend to you Len, as you seem quite blinkered in your views in terms of how unfair it is that it affects you and the local residents. A solution for residents has been found, albeit late. However, there are plenty of other supporters who will be unable to go because they can't walk very far and a solution for those Addicks should be organised by fellow fans / the club for the minor amount of games affected, not just because a fan that lives far away from a game is not prepared to use public transport on a couple of occassions.

I don't want your sympathy so don't worry!

I have real difficulties travelling by public transport but they are mental rather than physical and therefore my own fault.

I think the cost of a taxi from lee to charlton would be prohibitive on my budget.

I'm quite used to being in a minority of one so what's different?
  • Options
    I'm going to the paralympics on the 1st september, so I assume that is why. Or have you forgotten about our great sportsmen competing in the paralympics also?

I find your attitude really disappointing len. Obviously you care very little for the olympics, which is your right, but like it or not, the club you choose to support is within a borough that is hosting some of the games. How often in your many years of supporting charlton has your enjoyment been tainted by the olympics or some other event (more often than not popular with the masses).
  • Options
    I am not taking sides in the debate above but I can confirm my view and the view amoungst the Charlton fans in my office is that if I/we cannot drive and park to watch the games I/we will not be attending, season ticket or not.

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    you can. you can just park further away.
  • Options
    Those ones that where kept in Greenwich were kept following resident consultation, but I await your next psuedo tea party clarksonian rant.
  • Options
    I'm going to the paralympics on the 1st september, so I assume that is why. Or have you forgotten about our great sportsmen competing in the paralympics also?

I find your attitude really disappointing len. Obviously you care very little for the olympics, which is your right, but like it or not, the club you choose to support is within a borough that is hosting some of the games. How often in your many years of supporting charlton has your enjoyment been tainted by the olympics or some other event (more often than not popular with the masses).
    I have the greatest admiration for our paralympians. More honest and less corrupt than the "main event."

That said the interest in the paralympics will be considerably less than the ordinary olympics so why the need for such a large restricted parking zone once the main olympics have finished?

There is no need for Charlton fans to be inconvenienced at all by any objective, sensible approach.

All about money and trapping the unwary in my opinion.
  • Options
    you can. you can just park further away.
    If its a reasonable walk I will but I will not be getting on buses, trains or taxi's to complete the journey
  • Options
    I
    Just like to thank a fellow lifer for offering me a permit or two for the Olympics games parking.( as a result of posting on here)
    Of course I would have got to the match,( even if I had to walk) but on at least one occassion I am travelling back from a wedding the previous day in Reading, so would have had a car load having to come back, with me stressing out, and my blood pressure can do without that at present.
    I am hoping to take 3 other season ticket holders, one travelling up from the South coast, with a bad leg at present so he is really grateful as well.
    Charlton fan's are like that, I am most grateful.
    Nice to read and i'm sure some local residents on here may do a likewise offer, for those deserved Charlton fans in the near future (if the restrictions are still in place for the Orient, Leicester and Hull matches)

Would save the rucks seen on here at present.

• Options
    I wish it was easier to get to the Valley via public transport from Bickley.

A bus to New Eltham and then a train is an option but a bit long winded. But it means I can have a drink.

Otherwise it's a couple of changes on the trains. 161 from Chislehurst takes for ever.

• Options
    It doesnt Ben if you get off at the hospital and walk that last bit, avoid going into Woolwich as that takes ages.

• Options
    Drive closer then and then get public transport or get yourself a good book for the journey. at least you can read the programme the whole way home on the 161.
  • Options
    I wish it was easier to get to the Valley via public transport from Bickley.

A bus to New Eltham and then a train is an option but a bit long winded. But it means I can have a drink.

Otherwise it's a couple of changes on the trains. 161 from Chislehurst takes for ever.

Walk/drive to Chislehurst, train to Lewisham, train to Charlton. 30 minutes door to door.
  • Options
    edited July 2012
    i will have a look at my permits as apparently ive mistakenly been issued 4. Was only supposed to get two and im not sure they are actually restricted to my roads. Greenwich council or LOCOG fascists have issued too many!

If they are not restricted then happily loan out a couple as long as i have two for my visitors.

http://853blog.com/2012/07/16/greenwich-councils-accidental-olympic-parking-bonus/