Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Residents parking permits for duration ot the Olympics

Comments

• I think the club ought to have consulted with fans about laying on extra coaches and routes for the Valley Express service (and/or a sort of park and ride scheme based somewhere near, say, Dartford) to assist fans to get to the matches affected by these restrictions.
    Maybe another example of something that a Supporters Trust could have brought to the fore?
  • I think the club ought to have consulted with fans about laying on extra coaches and routes for the Valley Express service (and/or a sort of park and ride scheme based somewhere near, say, Dartford) to assist fans to get to the matches affected by these restrictions.
    Maybe another example of something that a Supporters Trust could have brought to the fore?
    Maybe negosiating with one of the nearby car parks?
    Yes, I was thinking the same. Perhaps they will. The first game is still a month away.
  • So, as a dummy that drives to games due to having my fill of Southeastern during the week, does this mean that I can't park down by the Thames Barrier as usual? Yesterday I was moaning about having to miss a game or two early in the season, now I'm thinking it's probably a good job!
  • I imagine that you cannot park in places like Springfields, Cherry Orchard, and Mascalls then.......
    So going to have to get my lads/wife to drive me over to the standard, and then walk up from the valley and meet them at the sun in the sands, or a variation on that theme.
    Hi Ken - correct, you won't be able to park in Springfield, Cherry Orchard, or any of those surrounding roads as it falls within Event Zone 'OB', as does Marlborough Lane.
    So, as a dummy that drives to games due to having my fill of Southeastern during the week, does this mean that I can't park down by the Thames Barrier as usual? Yesterday I was moaning about having to miss a game or two early in the season, now I'm thinking it's probably a good job!
    And Wilma, you won't be able to park down by the Thames Barrier as this falls within Event Zone 'OD' so will also be subject to Resident's Passes. It looks like pretty much the whole of the borough is going to be a no-go zone as far as motorists from outside the area are concerned.

I got my Resident's Permit on Thursday after much messing around but will be using the car as little as possible for the duration!

• I imagine that you cannot park in places like Springfields, Cherry Orchard, and Mascalls then.......
    So going to have to get my lads/wife to drive me over to the standard, and then walk up from the valley and meet them at the sun in the sands, or a variation on that theme.
    Hi Ken - correct, you won't be able to park in Springfield, Cherry Orchard, or any of those surrounding roads as it falls within Event Zone 'OB', as does Marlborough Lane.
    So, as a dummy that drives to games due to having my fill of Southeastern during the week, does this mean that I can't park down by the Thames Barrier as usual? Yesterday I was moaning about having to miss a game or two early in the season, now I'm thinking it's probably a good job!
    And Wilma, you won't be able to park down by the Thames Barrier as this falls within Event Zone 'OD' so will also be subject to Resident's Passes. It looks like pretty much the whole of the borough is going to be a no-go zone as far as motorists from outside the area are concerned.

I got my Resident's Permit on Thursday after much messing around but will be using the car as little as possible for the duration!

Thanks for your help 'Tom'
  • love the signs just gone up at the Sun in the Sands and Shooters Hill round "avoid Greenwich/ Blackheath 27th July---16 th August"

right then so the whole Boroughs population can just f++k off it seems.
  • love the signs just gone up at the Sun in the Sands and Shooters Hill round "avoid Greenwich/ Blackheath 27th July---16 th August"

right then so the whole Boroughs population can just f++k off it seems.
    Get the impression that Londoners are not wanted not only there but in central London.
    Had to go up to the probate office in Holborn yesterday, in regard to getting an interview/oath swearing, and was informed although the department is working we are not allowed to make appointments with the public during the Olympics........
    We quite expected to walk there from Charring cross, but I wonder if all goverment/departments/ agencies in London are doing this.
    Looking forward to the Olympics, but a few thousand Londoners walking/using public transport in there home town can hardly grind the transport system down surely, especially in central London.
  • at one point the Government had indicated that the whole civil service should take the month off so as not to have to travel into London - then they thought better of it.

As much as I like the Olympics being held in London, with the Prestige and the recognition it brings, I don't think the Government, TFL, Boris etc have really thought about the distruption it will cause to millions of everyday people.

I feel a protest coming on..............
  • Can just imagine Coe proclaiming "The peasants are revolting, Boris move them up the bus".

• Sponsored links:

• think I'll leave the car at Abbey Wood station and jump on a train
  • at one point the Government had indicated that the whole civil service should take the month off so as not to have to travel into London - then they thought better of it.

As much as I like the Olympics being held in London, with the Prestige and the recognition it brings, I don't think the Government, TFL, Boris etc have really thought about the distruption it will cause to millions of everyday people.

I feel a protest coming on..............
    Remind us all again who put the bid together?
    blairingstone wasnt it? What were their plans?
    Get everyone in on hover boards??
  • I wonder if you could park in the QE hospital as a 'casualty' patient...... 'I have hurt my back' ...... will cost mind you.
    Long lane football club, and the Marathon playing fields......'my cousins son is playing there'
    Rectory fields.....'My friend has invited me to a tennis/squash match'.
    I wonder If I could 'parachute' into the ground.....
    Going to car share anyway, I suppose I will just have to get the butler to drop me off........
  • There is a new big hospital car park on the common opposite
    Thanks smiffy,
    Is this not just yards from one of the Olympic sites though on Woolwich common.

• QE 2 Hospital parking

Car Park Charges
    Standard charges for patient and visitor parking (7 days a week, between 06.00am - 10.00pm) are:

0 - 1 hour = £1.00
    0 - 3 hours = £2.00
    0 - 4 hours = £3.00
    0 - 5 hours = £4.00
    6 hours = £6.00
    Visitor parking is free between 10.00pm and 06.00am.

Not sure what "safeguards" might be put in place during the Olympics. Usually on Saturday afternoons the car parks are pretty empty.
  • Why did i bother with a season ticket?

I'll have to miss matches because of this fascist imposition
    Jesus Christ, are you for real? If you don't want your season ticket I'll give you a refund myself, if it would only stop the ridiculous whining!

• the car park by the changing rooms in charlton park isn't part of the no parking zone.
    so if you're early enough you'll be ok. doesn't hold that many though.
  • edited July 2012
    Why did i bother with a season ticket?

Jesus Christ, are you for real? If you don't want your season ticket I'll give you a refund myself, if it would only stop the ridiculous whining!

Welcome back Offy!

I should have remembered your anti- motorist tendencies.

Some of us live a long way from the ground so this is an issue. This could cost me 3 home games from my season ticket. Sorry if my moaning on a forum designed for Charlton fans about an issue concerning Charlton fans causes you a problem!

Welcome back Offy!

Some of us live a long way from the ground so this is an issue. This could cost me 3 home games from my season ticket. Sorry if my moaning on a forum designed for Charlton fans about issue concerning Charlton fans causes you a problem!

So just drive to just outside of the restricted zone and jump on a bus. Will take about 30 mins extra and a couple of quid. Not much of a hardship is it.

Moan, moan, moan.

• edited July 2012
    Why did i bother with a season ticket?

Welcome back Offy!

Some of us live a long way from the ground so this is an issue. This could cost me 3 home games from my season ticket. Sorry if my moaning on a forum designed for Charlton fans about issue concerning Charlton fans causes you a problem!

So just drive to just outside of the restricted zone and jump on a bus. Will take about 30 mins extra and a couple of quid. Not much of a hardship is it.

Moan, moan, moan.

Actually it is.

Football is supposed to be a pleasure and relaxation not a stressful endurance test.
  • Sponsored links:

• This issue is actually a big deal. I live in the Royal Borough and the closest I can get my car to The Valley is parked outside my house at the top of the hill. I don't want to walk or get a bus but I'll be forced to. It's an inconvenience and I think I'll moan as long and as much as I like and if Len feels inconvenienced then good on him for moaning too.
  • the car park by the changing rooms in charlton park isn't part of the no parking zone.
    Excellent idea, so me you and just us 1,000 lifers then?
    Used it last year to watch a couple of players for my team on a sunday.......
    cheers mate

now you've done it !!!.............thats where I usually park & I didn't want others to know about it in case it becomes packed !!

Welcome back Offy!

Some of us live a long way from the ground so this is an issue. This could cost me 3 home games from my season ticket. Sorry if my moaning on a forum designed for Charlton fans about an issue concerning Charlton fans causes you a problem!
    Afternoon Len.

Not "anti-motorist" at all mate. Yes it will be an inconvenience for a short period, but that hardly warrants cutting off your nose to spite your face and not going to matches does it? Park a bit further away and get a train, or a bus, or even a cab to the ground - turn it into an experience by doing something a bit different for a change. Have lunch somewhere and make a day of it. Park in Eltham and have a little visit to Eltham Palace. You can get a bus (161) direct from there or else it would be about a tenner in a sherbert. Variety is the spice of life.

However, to try and turn the parking restrictions - which are clearly being introduced to try to ensure local residents (who are also motorists) don't get overwhelmed and can park in their own streets - into something akin to the rise of Hitler is a little bit over the top, in my opinion of course.
  • Thanks for the replies. Looks like I'll have to deal with more Southeastern crap then for the first few games GRRR I like not having to put up with them at weekends as it allows the murderous tendencies to subside before building up again on Monday :-)
  • Thanks for the replies. Looks like I'll have to deal with more Southeastern crap then for the first few games GRRR I like not having to put up with them at weekends as it allows the murderous tendencies to subside before building up again on Monday :-)
    Lol, Wilma .

Might have to join you - at least you have a season ticket for the train , I presume , whereas myself & Mr F will be somewhat out of pocket ( usually drive to home games in the firm's van/using firm's petrol )

• mickc my wife works in Canary Wharf and has been told she needs to find an alternative means to get to work. Well as we live in Welling she only has two options train to Lewisham, DLR or the 486 and the Jubilee line! So what else do they expect? Whilst I am looking foroward to the actual event (we have tickets) I always said that transport would be the problem with the Olympic Village so near the centre of London.
    Agree with this, when GB got the gig I was happy as Larry, but since then I think the organisation has been abysmal. First of all I assumed that the stadium would've been built somewhere in the home counties making it easier for access etc. Then to ask the daily commuters, who pay thousands a year in fares, to "free up" public transport and walk, is nothing short of scandalous imo.