Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Upcoming away game sales

Comments

• Options
    Here's one for you OohAhh

• Options
    gotta laugh at that Millwall number at Leeds..
  • Options
    Our away following is bigger than;

Barnsley
    Bristol City
    Burnley
    Coventry
    Doncaster
    Ipswich
    Millwall
    Reading
    Watford

On a par with;

Blackpool
    Cardiff
    Boro
    Pompey

and not that far behind a few others whilst in a lower division.

People do get their knickers in a twist about it!
  • Options
    I'd expect Hudders etc to be averaging more than us seeing as you have Rochdale/Oldham/Tranmere/Chesterfield/Sheffields/Bury etc all within an hour or two drive away
  • Options

Barnsley
    Bristol City
    Burnley
    Coventry
    Doncaster
    Ipswich
    Millwall
    Reading
    Watford

On a par with;

Blackpool
    Cardiff
    Boro
    Pompey

and not that far behind a few others whilst in a lower division.

Grow up
  • Options
    I'd expect Hudders etc to be averaging more than us seeing as you have Rochdale/Oldham/Tranmere/Chesterfield/Sheffields/Bury etc all within an hour or two drive away
    especially when they can take pretty much unlimited numbers to bury/rochdale etc when our close grounds have limiting allocations, well most of them.
  • Options

Barnsley
    Bristol City
    Burnley
    Coventry
    Doncaster
    Ipswich
    Millwall
    Reading
    Watford

with the exception of Reading, i'm sure the other teams can use the *"what sort of numbers do you expect with our league position" excuse.

*©cafc2008/9
  • Options
    edited March 2012
    huddersfield averaging 1,631 we're averaging 1,120 before last saturdays fixtures
    No doubt, but they have Bury, Chesterfield, Notts County, Oldham, Preston, Rochdale, Scunthorpe, Sheffield United, Sheffield Wednesday and Tranmere within about 75 miles of them (10/23).

We have Brentford, Colchester, MK Dons, Orient, Stevenage and Wycombe (6/23). Our numbers at two of these were capped.

In addition, Carlisle and Hartlepool are much shorter journeys from Huddersfield than Charlton, albeit not local.

That's before you make any allowance for Huddersfield fans in London against Charlton fans in the north.

Be interesting to see a wider comparison, but Hudds at Colchester and Charlton at Scunthorpe isn't a bad one.
  • Options
    for JT

Airman BrownMay 2009 in General CharltonQuote

Championship:

Wolves..............2808.9
    Sheff Utd...........2316.3
    Nottingham For...2046.4
    Derby Cty..........2009.9
    Sheffield Wed.....1922.3
    Birmingham C....1739.8
    Doncaster R.......1508.5
    Reading.............1439.9
    Ipswich T...........1369.3
    Burnley..............1339.9
    Cardiff C............1332.1
    QPR...................1329.1
    Bristol C.............1308.3
    Blackpool............1304.9
    Norwich C...........1221.1
    Barnsley.............1200.6
    Coventry C.........1193.3
    Southampton.......1186.8
    Swansea C..........1134.2
    Crystal Palace.....1090.1
    Watford................868.0
    Plymouth A...........860.0
    Preston North End..798.1
    Charlton A.............708.0
  • Options
    or with the new ground syndrome when we were ' still 5th' for most of the season

AVERAGE AWAY FOLLOWING – SEASON 2007/08 (to end April)

R CLUB DATA
    1 Sheffield Wednesday 1,963
    2 West Bromwich Albion 1,937
    3 Sheffield United 1,837
    4 Wolverhampton Wanderers 1,806
    5 Bristol City 1,758
    6 Ipswich Town 1,498
    7 Leicester City 1,353
    8 Hull City 1,340
    9 Watford 1,318
    10 Stoke City 1,263
    11 Norwich City 1,176
    12 Crystal Palace 1,164
    13 Southampton 1,142
    14 Blackpool 1,140
    15 Queens Park Rangers 1,116
    16 Charlton Athletic 1,111
    17 Burnley 1,086
    18 Coventry City 1,018
    19 Plymouth Argyle 975
    20 Barnsley 971
    21 Scunthorpe United 909
    22 Preston North End 798
    23 Cardiff City 720
    24 Colchester United 522
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    2008/2009 ?

We really played well that season didn't we ?

Won 2 away from home ! Big incentive to go. I certainly didn't go to many that year. Much more this year as we are playing well away from home.

Stats - You can read them all ways to make your own point.

Our away support could be better - We all know that.

Instead of rubbishing it consistently what are YOU doing to improve the numbers beyond the odd away game that you can go to by your own admission ?
  • Options
    So our away support is better this season in League One than it was in 2007/08 when we were a Championship side with a credible chance of promotion . . .
  • Options
    OohAhh is reaching for 5 year old figures !

He's feeling the pressure....
  • Options
    There are only two things that OohAhh deals in - stats and facts, and he is just putting it out there.
  • Options
    edited March 2012
    not sure why my last comment as come out as written by organiser. his was the first bit, mine the second btw
    huddersfield averaging 1,631 we're averaging 1,120 before last saturdays fixtures
    We have Brentford, Colchester, MK Dons, Orient, Stevenage and Wycombe (6/23). Our numbers at two of these were capped.

When you look at it like that, It's decent. Brentford & Stevenage sold out. Orient 5:20 on NYE but still took a decent number, Pretty sure we never took under 1.5k for Col U, Wycombe and MK on midweek
  • Options
    OohAhh. What was our away support like when we finished runners-up in the top division.

We must have taken thousands everywhere we went.

Going by your current? stats our away support is improving.

Thanks for pointing that out.
  • Options
    As a percentage of our core home support which is around 13k now compared to 17/18k 5 years ago it has probably improved.

Still think that 10% of your home support is about par and we rarely achieve that over a season
  • Options
    Instead of rubbishing it consistently what are YOU doing to improve the numbers beyond the odd away game that you can go to by your own admission ?
    i'm procreating and brainwashing my 4 sons into the religion of charlton

JT if you're talking Championship attendances that's when we were last there, i put the good season in with the bad one to give yu a feel for the occassions!

and for an all conquering season that we're having now , our numbers aren't great considering how decent our home numbers are
  • Options
    edited March 2012
    i'm procreating and brainwashing my 4 sons into the religion of charlton, playing the long game

JT if you're talking Championship attendances that's when we were last there, i put the good season in with the bad one to give yu a feel for the occassions!

and for an all conquering season that we're having now , our numbers aren't great considering how decent our home numbers are

• Options
    we cant get away from the fact that most teams in this league are from the north. it puts me off when you look at how much the train fare is to these places. for example i was thinking about going to huddersfield. i had a look at the train prices today and your looking at close to £100. its ridiculous.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Well comparing us to Huddersfield is interesting. Our games are an average of 159 miles, whilst there's are 124, so adjusting their average downwards for miles travelled would mean it's 1120 to us, 1270 to them, only 13% difference. When you take into account more of their local games being unlimited, compared to our local games having low away allocations, plus the fact they have a sizeable London fan-base, compared to our negligible Yorkshire fan-base, then the two clubs away followings are actually very similar.

Of course, statistics can be made to prove any points, you just have to pick the right statistics and the right context.

As I've said before, you look at the problem wrong, it's not a matter of under-performing on away sales, it's over performing on home sales, something the club, and airman in particular should be congratulated on, rather than endlessly bashing our own fans without offering even one useful suggestion to change the status quo.
  • Options
    Well comparing us to Huddersfield is interesting. Our games are an average of 159 miles, whilst there's are 124, so adjusting their average downwards for miles travelled would mean it's 1120 to us, 1270 to them, only 13% difference. When you take into account more of their local games being unlimited, compared to our local games having low away allocations, plus the fact they have a sizeable London fan-base, compared to our negligible Yorkshire fan-base, then the two clubs away followings are actually very similar.

Of course, statistics can be made to prove any points, you just have to pick the right statistics and the right context.

As I've said before, you look at the problem wrong, it's not a matter of under-performing on away sales, it's over performing on home sales, something the club, and airman in particular should be congratulated on, rather than endlessly bashing our own fans without offering even one useful suggestion to change the status quo.
    I'm sorry randy you should be banned immediatly from this site.

You can't come on here posting sensible things like that.
  • Options
    Just booked the train for Carlisle , all i need now is a ticket to get in! :-0
  • Options
    just booked Oldham train tickets. £45 return gong via Brum thanks to Efs.
  • Options
    Sorry if I have already missed it, but how much is the train?
  • Options
    edited March 2012
    Sorry if I have already missed it, but how much is the train?
    Kev i'm 100% certain someone will come on here to gloat about the fact that they paid less , i paid £84 , Trainline from Euston which is cheaper than me driving and having to stay in a hotel , i drove to Hartlepool (Carlisle is even further) and it took me 7 hours 30 mins , do i want to do it again? erm nope :-0

• Options
    Anyone know the cheapest I can get to Preston by direct train.
  • Options
    Paid £57
  • Options
    Just got my tickets for Huddersfield on Saturday,another little richie8 is going to his first game!
  • Options
    Should be over a 1000 at Huddersfield which is respectable if not impressive. Well done to those going-hopefully you'll be rewarded with at least a point. I'm moving house so that's my excuse this week...
    I think it is disappointing if we can't manage nearer 2000. After all they brought over 1,000 to us for an evening game that was live on TV, and their home support is less than ours

Signed, Oohaah's Czech relative :-)
    hahahahahaha