Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Upcoming away game sales

Comments

• Options
    edited March 2012
    Elfsborg you're a legend. Just saved about £50 on the return tickets to Manchester for the Oldham game by using your tip, thank you so much (now I don't have to get the coach!).

If anyone else is still looking, below are the times costs I got (these are on a YP card, so if paying full adult add a couple of quid extra)

Depart Arrive Cost
    9.23 Euston 10.45 New Street £7.25
    11.31 New Street 12.59 Picadilly £7.90

18.05 Picadilly 19.33 New Street £7.90
    20.1 New Street 21.56 Euston £7.25
    Your very welcome mate, are you Craig who we had contact for Chesterfield?
    Yes mate. If we meet up at Oldham I'll definately buy you a beer !
  • Options
    what is the best way to get to the ground for Picadilly?
  • Options
    Walk down to Piccadilly Gardens and just before the Wetherspoons on the right hand side, take a right and there is a bus stop, about three different services and takes a maximum of half hour. Allow two hours maximum from when you get off train. Not sure on bus numbers though
  • Options
    edited March 2012
    SE9addick said:
    It's definitely. Five hundred lines on the train please 'I must definitely spell definitely with an 'i' before the 't' in future'. Thank you
  • Options
    Fortunately being abandoned in the desolate wastelands of Hull Scunthrope is a £7 bus and the old man is coming to pick me up the following weekend as it means we can go to the Huddersfield game without his ball and chain finding out (I like to call her mum).
  • Options
    SE9addick said:
    It's definitely. Five hundred lines on the train please 'I must definitely spell definitely with an 'i' before the 't' in future'. Thank you
    Many thanks, I'll definately buy you a beer for correcting my spelling !!
  • Options
    I always get the coach for long distance games. On three occasions this season it has arrived before the gates have even opened. The only bad experience I've had is Sheffield United away when the driver had to take a detour and got lot. We only arrived about 15 minutes before kick-off.
  • Options
    Elfsborg you're a legend. Just saved about £50 on the return tickets to Manchester for the Oldham game by using your tip, thank you so much (now I don't have to get the coach!).

If anyone else is still looking, below are the times costs I got (these are on a YP card, so if paying full adult add a couple of quid extra)

Depart Arrive Cost
    9.23 Euston 10.45 New Street £7.25
    11.31 New Street 12.59 Picadilly £7.90

18.05 Picadilly 19.33 New Street £7.90
    20.1 New Street 21.56 Euston £7.25
    Your very welcome mate, are you Craig who we had contact for Chesterfield?
    Not going to Oldham!!!!

On the 9.03 tomorrow and going to Huddersfield, Carlisle and PNE so ample opportunities. How are you going tomorrow?
  • Options
    edited March 2012
    Good riposte SE9addick your you're on.
  • Options
    Walk down to Piccadilly Gardens and just before the Wetherspoons on the right hand side, take a right and there is a bus stop, about three different services and takes a maximum of half hour. Allow two hours maximum from when you get off train. Not sure on bus numbers though
    Cheers

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    Cheers

Your alright
  • Options
    I know it would be easier to look through the last few pages (but i dont get the time at work)

What's the cheapest anyone's got for trains to hudds?

Ta.
  • Options
    I know it would be easier to look through the last few pages (but i dont get the time at work)

Ta.
    I paid £24 return three months back, go onto eastcoast trains, or megabus for a single ticket, or virgin via Manchester
  • Options
    The late train bookings are murder. Today, I booked a return to Huddersfield - via Manchester - for just over 60 quid plus booking fee ( 2 x £25 singles to Manchester plus an £11.60 day return to Huddersfield from Manchester ). A considerable improvement over the £90 or so to Huddersfield from Kings Cross.

Mind you, I wasted about 40 minutes of my life fannying around on the trainline website in the process ( and now find myself tormented on the official website by adds for £12 trips to Huddersfield - albeit at very odd times and days ). Advertising is becoming sophisticated, I fear.
    I booked last night, Hull trains to Doncaster (£22 one way, £17 back). Rtn Donny-Hudd is about £14 via Leeds, so £53 or so all-in. Not brilliant, but not the worst. Timings not too bad, get there for 1pm, back to Kings X for 9-ish
  • Options
    I always get the coach for long distance games. On three occasions this season it has arrived before the gates have even opened. The only bad experience I've had is Sheffield United away when the driver had to take a detour and got lot. We only arrived about 15 minutes before kick-off.
    I drove up from Southampton, only because the club can't be bothered to organise a coach to pick me and my son up from my house, and we got to the ground as the players came out due to the M1 being shut.

Just something that can happen.

I've only ever been to two away matches by coach (Man Utd and Carlisle) and they were our own coaches so stopped when we liked.

• Options
    Only problem with cheap train tickets too far in advance is if they change the kick-off time the tickets are non-refundable or there is an administation charge at best to change the booking.

Ta.
    I paid £24 return three months back, go onto eastcoast trains, or megabus for a single ticket, or virgin via Manchester
  • Options
    I have travelled on the coaches a fair bit this season, primarily because my job dictates what matches i can go to so can't get cheap train tickets by the time i know either way. I have to say i think they are fine. Yes you can't drink on them and trust me, i would like to but i reliese i cant have it all.

With the stops, agreed it can be annoying. I got picked up on the A21 for Wycombe away, only to go to Charlton, Well Hall and Bexleyheath(?!) before stopping at Clacket Lane services. That round trip was an hour to then stop 5 minutes from my house for the driver to rest! Whilst i know they need to stop, think of other reasons why maybe they might need to.

A quick look at the coach regulations for football supporters (quiet day at work!) indicates that the local police need to know of these journeys. You never know, THEY could dictate when a safe time to arrive is not the coach company/Charlton.

I not slating anyones views because each to their own and their opinions relate to what may have happened to them. For me, the coach service is invaluable and im thankful that Charlton run it as they do (i.e not Rochdale who cancel last minute coach to us last season due to lack of demand leaving those booked in trouble getting to the games only 2 days before matchday!).

FYI though, if i knew weeks in advance what i could/could not go to then i would take train if around same price, just for leg room if nothing else!
  • Options
    Wanted to go to Huddersfield but the train is just too expensive for me to justify it
  • Options
    Only problem with cheap train tickets too far in advance is if they change the kick-off time the tickets are non-refundable or there is an administation charge at best to change the booking.

Ta.
    The chance you have to take, the 'beauty' of being in this league is that changing of fixtures has been virtually trouble free for the past three years, will be a bit more of a problem next year though....thankfully
  • Options
    For me it has to be the train as there aint many fellow Addicks in my neck of the woods plus the fact I get it free helps.Ive got my times sorted and they reckon the ground is about half a mile from the station in Huddersfield.Is this correct?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    For me it has to be the train as there aint many fellow Addicks in my neck of the woods plus the fact I get it free helps.Ive got my times sorted and they reckon the ground is about half a mile from the station in Huddersfield.Is this correct?
    Yes, 15 mins walk.
  • Options
    Thanks CE,works out nicely might be able to buy a carryout for the train aswell!
  • Options
    One thing I find odd, the coach for Hudders leaves Bromley at 8am but the coach for Oldham leaves Bromley at 7:30am, however Huddersfield is further up north than Oldham...logic?
  • Options
    Easter Weekend isn't it, Oldham - I imagine that will be why
  • Options
    JTJT
    edited March 2012
    The 7.30am one is for paying Bromley addicks only.
  • Options
    Much of the negativity towards coaches will be from people who drive cars and just cant handle being on buses/coaches

20 Quid return is excellent value!

i bet tje stats on arrival times would back up the reliability of the service too (does the club collect these stats, Airman? If not, could be an idea to help with marketing)

trying to get drivers who consider buses to be "peasant wagons" to use them... even when much cheaper than the alternatives... is tough...

Its kind of like trying to tell smokers of their idiocy

And i aint joking!

• Options
    I don't drive and I wouldn't dream of getting on a coach these days.

Sod the "cheap" cost. I ain't sitting cooped up for hours and hours listening to the constant drone of the motorway.
  • Options
    Much of the negativity towards coaches will be from people who drive cars and just cant handle being on buses/coaches

20 Quid return is excellent value!

i bet tje stats on arrival times would back up the reliability of the service too (does the club collect these stats, Airman? If not, could be an idea to help with marketing)

trying to get drivers who consider buses to be "peasant wagons" to use them... even when much cheaper than the alternatives... is tough...

Its kind of like trying to tell smokers of their idiocy

And i aint joking!

I do not drive and am not anti car/coach, I just find the train more comfortable and generally quicker.
  • Options
    me too... would choose train every time given equal costs

but the negativity posted towards coaches above (not by you, I hasten to add) smacks of something deeper
  • Options
    edited March 2012
    It's an apples and pears comparison. In general trains are dearer than coaches, they can also be impractical, especially for evening games. I would go by train every time if that wasn't the case. However, I do find it a bit ridiculous to have people slagging off the coaches on the basis of, for example, Ewood Park 2007, when four people organised 79 free coaches using about 20 different coach companies, which is hardly going to be a typical example of the service. And even then the vast majority were parked up in good time for people to go to the pub next to the ground, before going in.

Things do go wrong, usually other people having accidents on the motorway or drivers making bad decisions. I've also been too ambitious on timings on occasion or got it wrong the other way. But if you take yesterday, which is just as good an example as any of the ones that people have highlighted, all the coaches were parked up at Scunthorpe by 1.30pm.

To be clear, neither I nor the club could care less if people don't want to travel away by coach. We provide it as a service for the people who do, and most of the time it runs pretty smoothly, despite being done on the cheap compared to many other clubs. If you want something else go another way.