Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton Summer Transfer Rumours 2024

Comments

• Options
    Date of first transfer announcement the last ten summers:

2015: 22nd June (Patrick Bauer)
    2016: 16th June (Ricky Holmes)
    2017: 8th June (Billy Clarke)
    2018: 27th June (Lyle Taylor)
    2019: 17th June (Macauley Bonne)
    2020: 12th August (Alex Gilbey) (Covid delayed season)
    2021: 28th June (Craig MacGillivray)
    2022: 20th June (Eoghan O’Connell)
    2023: 24th June (Harry Isted)
    2024: ???
    And breathe, thanks Callum 👏 👏 
  • Options
    edited May 28
    AndyG said:
    now dont shout at this question lol. I dont really know any of the names being mentioned as our likely targets but do people feel if we manage to sign them are they a step up ? after all most thought that Fraser & Kirk were the bollox when they came ! I just hate the thought of more false dawns
    No individual signing is going to be a sure bet... If we always knew which targets were going to turn out to be good players, we wouldn’t be finishing 16th in League One.

We just have to increase the ratio of Dobsons & Blackett-Taylors vs Kirks & Frasers. You’ll never completely avoid duds but we’ve been signing at least 4-5 of them a season for too long now. Reduce that number as much as possible (it will never be zero) and we’ll start heading in the right direction.
  • Options
    edited May 28
    I'm confident Jones will sign players who want to win games, and that wasn't something the likes of Kirk/Fraser ever seemed care much about. 
  • Options
    Although you could argue, they we’ve done business late, and the Taylor aside season, been rubbish.

Forget staying calm, bed wetting time!! 😂 
  • Options
    AndyG said:
    now dont shout at this question lol. I dont really know any of the names being mentioned as our likely targets but do people feel if we manage to sign them are they a step up ? after all most thought that Fraser & Kirk were the bollox when they came ! I just hate the thought of more false dawns
    Impossible to tell.

There is always the possibility that signings don't work and I'd add that the season before last Fraser contributed a number of goals and assists. CBT was one that came with low expectations but did well. Kirk was always poor, mind.

How much of the failure previously was down to the people doing the recruitment or to the constant changes in manager, to the lack of a consistent style of play, a poorly allocated budget, to injuries or other factors.  Maybe a bit of all of them.

All we can hope is that these are players that Jones has identified as having the right qualities to play in his team and that the sum of the whole is greater than the parts.
  • Options
    AndyG said:
    Impossible to tell.

There is always the possibility that signings don't work and I'd add that the season before last Fraser contributed a number of goals and assists. CBT was one that came with low expectations but did well. Kirk was always poor, mind.

How much of the failure previously was down to the people doing the recruitment or to the constant changes in manager, to the lack of a consistent style of play, a poorly allocated budget, to injuries or other factors.  Maybe a bit of all of them.

All we can hope is that these are players that Jones has identified as having the right qualities to play in his team and that the sum of the whole is greater than the parts.
    Absolutely and Jones will stand or fall by what happens. If as it would appear he has been given the authority to identify and have the final say then he’ll have nowhere to hide. 
  • Options
    Leonard available for a fee in the region of 300k. Wrexham linked. We should be all over this.

https://www.teamtalk.com/news/wrexham-exclusive-red-dragons-rival-trio-championship-clubs-land-promising-brighton-talent
    But he doesn't like being kicked!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Date of first transfer announcement the last ten summers:

2015: 22nd June (Patrick Bauer)
    2016: 16th June (Ricky Holmes)
    2017: 8th June (Billy Clarke)
    2018: 27th June (Lyle Taylor)
    2019: 17th June (Macauley Bonne)
    2020: 12th August (Alex Gilbey) (Covid delayed season)
    2021: 28th June (Craig MacGillivray)
    2022: 20th June (Eoghan O’Connell)
    2023: 24th June (Harry Isted)
    2024: ???
    Would put my hat on our first announcement being the earliest for 10 years then.
    Going back an additional five years…

2014: 24th June (Igor Vetokele)
    2013: 3rd June (Mark Gower)
    2012: 9th July (Lawrie Wilson & Jordan Cook)
    2011: 25th May (Danny Hollands & Bradley Pritchard)
    2010: 5th July (Gary Doherty)

(Not including players who didn’t appear for the first team that season eg Kurtis Cumberbatch signed in May 2014.)
    Sorry who?!

• Options
    Not heard anything regarding Brendan Wiredu since he was seen at the training ground.

I hope he is another one to add to the list.
    He was seen at the training ground? That’s quite telling. 

Don’t remember this rumour 
  • Options
    It's interesting that Northampton managed to do what we did with Josh Cullen, getting a loan player in that helps get you promoted, then keeping him for the following season in the higher division.

Except they managed to do it twice, with both Marc Leonard from Brighton and Kieron Bowie from Fulham staying for 2 seasons. Both Scottish players too.
  • Options
    cafc4life said:
    Watching Welcome to Wrexham series 3, I like the look of the GK Okonkwo on loan from Arsenal. Big unit and looks a great shot stopper
    Thought exactly the same. Looks a very good goalkeeper 
  • Options
    sam3110 said:
    sam3110 said:
    He had a couple of sherbets by then so could have been a random guy talking bollocks, but there we go
    Random guy talking bollocks is the meat and drink of this thread mate. Nice rumour.
    Very true, we had Bobby Zamora in at the weekend, again spoke about football and upon hearing I was a Charlton fan he said "I loved playing there, I always scored against you lot" from what I can find he scored against us once
    Did he only play against us once? (not a serious quesiton)
  • Options
    cafc4life said:
    Watching Welcome to Wrexham series 3, I like the look of the GK Okonkwo on loan from Arsenal. Big unit and looks a great shot stopper
    I reckon he'll sign for Wrexham permanently.
  • Options
    Not heard anything regarding Brendan Wiredu since he was seen at the training ground.

I hope he is another one to add to the list.
    Was he definitely there though?
  • Options
    Connor Taylor - a Rolls Royce of a defender, very capable, brings ball out, organiser, talented. That's my guess.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    No longer a rumour.
    Charlton Athletic have seen off interest from Bristol Rovers, Wycombe Wanderers, Blackpool & Cambridge United to secure the signing of Dunfermline defender Josh Edwards. A high six figure fee & three years deal has been agreed.
  • Options
    edited May 28
    Crusty54 said:
    No longer a rumour.
    Charlton Athletic have seen off interest from Bristol Rovers, Wycombe Wanderers, Blackpool & Cambridge United to secure the signing of Dunfermline defender Josh Edwards. A high six figure fee & three years deal has been agreed.
    Dodgy Twitter account… still firmly in the rumour category for me.
    Sounded more than a rumour going on Cawley's tweets and article two days ago, but agree I wouldn't trust anything posted by those type of Twitter accounts.

https://londonnewsonline.co.uk/sport/charlton-athletic-aiming-to-agree-deal-for-dunfermline-defender-josh-edwards/
  • Options
    Leonard available for a fee in the region of 300k. Wrexham linked. We should be all over this.

https://www.teamtalk.com/news/wrexham-exclusive-red-dragons-rival-trio-championship-clubs-land-promising-brighton-talent
    That would be a fantastic signing for anyone in this league. Genuinely thought he was one of the best players we went up against last season and fully expect him to end up in the championship this coming season. 

Would like to think we could beat Wrexham to him. Think this one has a newly promoted championship side written all over it though.
  • Options
    Crusty54 said:
    No longer a rumour.
    Didn't Cawley say it was a 5-figure fee? 
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    felix_31 said:
    Crusty54 said:
    No longer a rumour.
    No technically not. He said it wasn't a 6 figure fee. So could have been 5 or 7. 
    Implication was definitely that it was 5 figure though
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    felix_31 said:
    Crusty54 said:
    No longer a rumour.
    No technically not. He said it wasn't a 6 figure fee. So could have been 5 or 7. 
    Well I bloody hope its not 7 
  • Options

That would be a fantastic signing for anyone in this league. Genuinely thought he was one of the best players we went up against last season and fully expect him to end up in the championship this coming season. 

Would like to think we could beat Wrexham to him. Think this one has a newly promoted championship side written all over it though.
    Wrexham might be an exciting place to go at the moment, but their recent transfer history when they've spent money suggests they're been more interested in decent lower division players rather than bringing through younger ones. We definitely have the advantage in that respect.