Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton Summer Transfer Rumours 2024

Comments

• Options
    From the Luton website:

Luke Berry has asked us to share the following message to everyone connected to the club:

"Three promotions. Four different divisions. Seven years. What a ride!

"When I signed in 2017 the aim was definitely to get out of League Two and reach the Championship. But the Premier League? Being interviewed on Match of the Day? You’re having a laugh, surely!

"My time at Luton might be over, but the journey has been everything I was promised by Nathan and Gary – and then some”

It entirely makes sense that Berry would only choose to leave Luton, where in the Championship he would surely get more games than in the Premier League with Ross Barkley likely to leave, to play for a manager he's worked for before.
  • Options
    Summary of what sounds like proper rumours then..

Luke Berry           CM.         Free.            Luton blogger
    Dan Potts.           LB.           Free.            Luton blogger
    Will Mannion.     Keeper.    Free.            SLP
    Josh Edwards.   LB.        < 6 figures.     SLP
    Bair.                     Striker.     750K.       SLP say Unlikely
    Not going to be drawn on the individual players themselves but in terms of the positions that suggests we are looking at that sounds promising at least - cover/competition for Small, an experienced replacement for Dobson, at least one new Keeper in (and therefore probably at least one out)  and a senior striker not named May who will hopefully actually be available over a whole season.

Obviously that's not ALL we need but if we did strengthen those positions then it would have to be seen as a fairly positive outcome... albeit "if" is doing a lot of heavy lifting in that sentence.
  • Options
    Luke Berry seems like he would be a real coup. Two Premier League goals and an assist last season despite only playing 310 minutes and starting two games. We really lacked goals last season outside of May so having a player who can actually score from midfield is hugely important. 
    Of course we pulled off a real coup a few years ago when we signed an experienced central midfielder. A tempo dictating player who had just missed out on the Championship Play-Offs on goal difference and was described by their manager as his brain on the pitch. We all loved Ben Watson right? Hopefully this one will be more on the Diarra end of the scale
  • Options
    Major said:
    Is Dan Potts the son of former West Ham defender Steve Potts?
    He is the brother of that weirdo drug addict, Crack Potts
    Seeing as he's a 5ft 8" defender shouldn't it be Half Potts
  • Options
    mendonca said:
    A quick search shows that Potts didn't play a single minute of football last season.
    Just had a look at Berry and the seasons before this he made the following appearances (starts and subs).

His goals and assist ratios are impressive. I trust NJ and what he wants.
  • Options
    Don’t want to be a negative fan re our potential signings, and he’s clearly a quality player, but aren’t we trying to get players that stay fit or are going to give us 30/40 games a season at least?
    Discounting his prem season, he’s had 7 seasons with Luton of which he’s averaged just 21 league games per season. The most games was their season in league 2. 34 appearances. In 20/21 he managed 31
  • Options
    CafcSCP said:
    Don’t want to be a negative fan re our potential signings, and he’s clearly a quality player, but aren’t we trying to get players that stay fit or are going to give us 30/40 games a season at least?
    Discounting his prem season, he’s had 7 seasons with Luton of which he’s averaged just 21 league games per season. The most games was their season in league 2. 34 appearances. In 20/21 he managed 31
    Is that due to injuries or just that there were better players taking his spot?
  • Options
    CafcSCP said:
    Depends what we need him for. Based on how he's been used recently he seems more like a good pro to have on the bench and maybe come on to try and get some goals later on in tighter games.

Not every signing is going to be one for the 1st 11. Arguably it's our squad depth that has been one of the problems in recent times.
  • Options
    CafcSCP said:
    Agree we need several signings to be starters who we can expect to play 30/40 games, but we could also do with some experience and leaders in the squad, so I can see NJ bringing in a few older players who won’t necessarily regularly play 90 minutes.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    CafcSCP said:
    Dont forget that Brighton fella who has come in as Head of Performance - Our injury issues did seem to lessen, once he joined.
  • Options
    thenewbie said:
    Summary of what sounds like proper rumours then..

Luke Berry           CM.         Free.            Luton blogger
    Dan Potts.           LB.           Free.            Luton blogger
    Will Mannion.     Keeper.    Free.            SLP
    Josh Edwards.   LB.        < 6 figures.     SLP
    Bair.                     Striker.     750K.       SLP say Unlikely
    Not going to be drawn on the individual players themselves but in terms of the positions that suggests we are looking at that sounds promising at least - cover/competition for Small, an experienced replacement for Dobson, at least one new Keeper in (and therefore probably at least one out)  and a senior striker not named May who will hopefully actually be available over a whole season.

Obviously that's not ALL we need but if we did strengthen those positions then it would have to be seen as a fairly positive outcome... albeit "if" is doing a lot of heavy lifting in that sentence.
    Somebody like Berry who is only half fit is not a replacement for Dobson, who was always fit (to drop by the end of games).
  • Options
    CafcSCP said:
    Is that due to injuries or just that there were better players taking his spot?
    No idea but I’d imagine if he’s stayed through to the prem days since league 2 he’d have been 1st 11 if fit.
  • Options
    thenewbie said:
    CafcSCP said:
    Depends what we need him for. Based on how he's been used recently he seems more like a good pro to have on the bench and maybe come on to try and get some goals later on in tighter games.

Not every signing is going to be one for the 1st 11. Arguably it's our squad depth that has been one of the problems in recent times.
    thenewbie said:
    CafcSCP said:

But he’s coming off prem wages, I doubt he’s being lined up for the bench by us if he’s going to be one of the highest paid.
  • Options
    mendonca said:
    A quick search shows that Potts didn't play a single minute of football last season.
    So would be a potty signing!
  • Options
    edited May 25
    I wonder what the chances are of signing Darko Gyabi on loan from Leeds might be, local lad who was on loan at Plymouth back end of last season. Also mates with Karoy I believe. 
  • Options
    mendonca said:
    Ouch.😕
    Well we didn’t exactly play many either!
  • Options
    YTS1978 said:
    Dazzler21 said:
    YTS1978 said:
    Don't believe #cafc's bid for Dunfermline's Josh Edwards has been rejected, as has been reported north of the border. 

And also it isn't a six-figure offer either.
    SLP
    Not sure why people are having a pop at Ronnie. He reposted something from the SLP. Nothing controversial abt that
    It was simply he didn't originally credit rich. So posted as if he were ITK. 
    At 5.39 his post got a lol. He then corrected it with the SLP info 5mins later. Then got quite a rude reply from someone at nearly midday. Bit unnecessary to a fellow fan, but each to their own I guess. COYA
    I have never quite got all the vitriol directed to Ronnie Moore/Bexley Boy/Colin. We all know he is a WUM, but let's be honest, we would miss him if he wasn't on Charlton Life!
    Like the metaphorical cat we regularly kick on Saturday nights during the season.
  • Options
    edited May 25
    sm said:
    YTS1978 said:
    Dazzler21 said:
    YTS1978 said:
    Don't believe #cafc's bid for Dunfermline's Josh Edwards has been rejected, as has been reported north of the border. 

SLP
    Not sure why people are having a pop at Ronnie. He reposted something from the SLP. Nothing controversial abt that
    At 5.39 his post got a lol. He then corrected it with the SLP info 5mins later. Then got quite a rude reply from someone at nearly midday. Bit unnecessary to a fellow fan, but each to their own I guess. COYA
    I have never quite got all the vitriol directed to Ronnie Moore/Bexley Boy/Colin. We all know he is a WUM, but let's be honest, we would miss him if he wasn't on Charlton Life!
    Like the metaphorical cat we regularly kick on Saturday nights during the season.

...Now, lets get back to the rumours shall we...🙄
  • Options
    CafcSCP said:
    thenewbie said:
    CafcSCP said:

thenewbie said:
    CafcSCP said:

But he’s coming off prem wages, I doubt he’s being lined up for the bench by us if he’s going to be one of the highest paid.
    That's a fair point. Unless he's taking a fairly big drop and is using this as an opportunity to go the Andy Hughes/Jason Pearce route of transition from player into coach. 

Plus even if he does sign its unlikely that he's the only midfielder lined up. Dobson, Kamara, Watson, Bakinson and Fiorini have all gone now, as poor as some of them were it would not make sense to not replace at least some of them in terms of numbers if nothing else. I'm not saying we need 5 new CMs, we clearly don't, but 2 or 3 more is more likely/achievable.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Personally I don’t get the hype around Luke Berry, goes against what Jones said he wanted to sign.. he has only played more than 30 games in a season once in the last 6 season, looks like he has a record of injuries..
    Would rather we signed a younger, fitter player that has a point to prove! 
  • Options
    DubaiCAFC said:
    Personally I don’t get the hype around Luke Berry, goes against what Jones said he wanted to sign.. he has only played more than 30 games in a season once in the last 6 season, looks like he has a record of injuries..
    Got a name?
  • Options
    Having Berry around would be good as his career from being a league 2 player and playing his way through the leagues to the Premiership is a great example of a player buying into the Nathan way. He stuck with his club and achieved more than he could have reasonably have expected to.
    I could see him starting his coaching badges with us.
  • Options
    I think we have to trust Nathan Jones on whoever he sees fit to bring in. It’s obvious that he is a micro manager of his teams and only wants players he sees as being able to buy into everything he does. I think Curbs was a pragmatist. He did his research on the players he wanted to sign but set up his teams to get the best out of what he had. I don’t think Jones is a pragmatic manager at all. He has a vision and ethos and will stick with it. I think if we stick with him he’ll get us there but I think it might not be the meteoric rise we’re hoping for. That’ll do for me. 
    We have to trust him as we have no other option.I trust him 100 percent.
  • Options
    TelMc32 said:
    YTS1978 said:
    Dazzler21 said:
    YTS1978 said:

SLP
    I “lolled” it simply because Rich’s tweet had already been shared the night before by @MarcusH26 and then @Red_Chester, who added an “It’s happening” comment. 

Mr Moore then comes along the next day, posting the words from the tweet, but no acknowledgment of where it came from, til he added that later (after my lol).

Not sure why people are feeling aggrieved on his behalf.  He is quite obviously a WUM on here and elsewhere & derives some perverse pleasure from posting so much BS.  I try not to feed the troll usually. Obviously a few others to avoid too. 
    Fair play Tel. Id missed the previous msgs's and it's happening gif - easy to do with all these rumours flying around 😂🤣😂 COYA
  • Options
    DubaiCAFC said:
    Or we could sign more than one player in that position. We'll either need centre mids to cover three or four spaces on the pitch and backups. Right now the players we have under contract are Coventry, Anderson, possibly Edun and then Fraser, McGrandles and Taylor, who played a combined 0 seconds for Jones and will likely all be moved on. I think we need 4 CMs as a minimum to come in and one of them being an experienced player who scored a couple in the Premier League last season and knows the Jones system inside out sounds like a good signing. Have him as a player who has competition in the squad and we can rotate, it just means we also need to identify and sign some more as well.