Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Charlton Summer Transfer Rumours 2024

Comments

• cafc_se7 said:
    Berry would be a cracking signing! Not so sure about Potts.
    Would rather sign his brother!

Can do better than Lge 1 though unfortunately.
  • @Garrymanilow

Agree with most of your post, but I have to say, most of what you said still relates to it being a typical Charlton season in the first paragraph. When we don't sign a player for ex amount of money it's sensible, and the other club is greedy or the player is greedy, similar to how JCH was labelled lazy, greedy etc but has now signed for Rotherham. Lost count how many times we miss out on a player and people post 'fuck em' etc and don't blame the people who are in charge of negotiations.  

Re your last paragraph, I don't really let the transfer rumours thread dictate my mood, or Charlton windows in general anymore tbh, just like to keep up and have a conversation. I've been convinced from the start that these owners will not give us the backing we need, so any sort of successful signing is a win for me. I literally expect freebies and injury prone players, with some media spiel from the Oxford fan about how hard we tried to obtain ex unrealistic player, but unfortunately as we are in league 1 we sometimes can't compete with championship sides, all the while not spending, or very rarely spending on the genuine quality in this league. 

I'd love to be completely wrong on my expectations, but unfortunately season after season it's always closer to what I expect than not.
    Sort of just saying the same thing again though isn't it. What I was trying to get across is that if you're determined to see the negative then you'll see the negative, as you've just reitereated. You can see the misery and spend your summer expecting the worst (while having a short break to moan about Southgate) or you can just let it happen around you and assess it as it happens when the squad is together and the season starts. It's the choice we all have and I'm choosing the second because there's really not a lot of value in doing the alternative. All the months of doomsaying on here don't make the season go any better, they just make the place less tolerable in the summer. I think we'll all have more fun without it, but then that's just me I guess. People can lean into whatever works for them.
  • mendonca said:
    A quick search shows that Potts didn't play a single minute of football last season.
    Ouch.😕
  • I’d take Berry all day long, don’t know enough about Potts to have an opinion but his injury record is a major red flag.
  • Summary of what sounds like proper rumours then..

Luke Berry           CM.         Free.            Luton blogger
    Dan Potts.           LB.           Free.            Luton blogger
    Will Mannion.     Keeper.    Free.            SLP
    Josh Edwards.   LB.           6 figures.     SLP
    I mean not to sound unreasonable but a little underwhelming really 🤔 
  • CH4RLTON said:
    Summary of what sounds like proper rumours then..

Couldn't you get a Man City ticket?
  • Sponsored links:

• Summary of what sounds like proper rumours then..

Didn't the SLP say the bid for Edwards wasn't 6 figures?
  • Luke berry released by Luton, champ quality will NJ persuade him to drop to L1 for the project?
    Thought he was great in Beverley Hills 90210.  
  • ButtleJR said:
    "The Club has agreed not to exercise its option on Luke Berry in order to allow the 31-year-old midfielder to explore opportunities to play regular football elsewhere." Re. Berry. I'd say he's on his way. 
    Looking on wiki he appeared in 17 of their PL games this season, so it seems surprising that they don't want him around in the league below.

He's getting on a bit (32 this summer) but would be a very good signing for league one.

Potts hasn't started a game since May 2023 but is probably still pretty capable of playing in league one.
  • edited May 24
    ButtleJR said:
    "The Club has agreed not to exercise its option on Luke Berry in order to allow the 31-year-old midfielder to explore opportunities to play regular football elsewhere." Re. Berry. I'd say he's on his way. 
    Looking on wiki he appeared in 17 of their PL games this season, so it seems surprising that they don't want him around in the league below.

He's getting on a bit (32 this summer) but would be a very good signing for league one.

Potts hasn't started a game since May 2023 but is probably still pretty capable of playing in league one.
    They did want him around but mutually agreed not to activate the 12 month option so he can get regular first team football. 
  • Deals are done. Three in. No names. I don't have them, so don't ask me,  please. 
    Anon was brilliant for Whosit last season but Anon will struggle to make the step up from L2. Anon can't make it in the Championship any more but may be able to do a job at this level if he can avoid injury.
  • edited May 24
    CH4RLTON said:
    Summary of what sounds like proper rumours then..

I think Berry sounds very promising, PL games and goals last season.  Potts doesn't fill me with excitement having not played for so long and seems short for a defender.  Mannion gets good reviews from Cambridge fans and maybe a number 2 anyway.  Edwards seems a punt but NJ was rumoured to be scouting in Scotland so assume his pick and that is good enough for me.  Ditto Bair.
  • Berry would be an excellent signing , would add goals from midfield that we've badly missed. Potts I think it all comes down to his injuries and if it's ultimately worth the risk. Would suggest to me that Edun is off. 
  • Sponsored links:

• It’s probably the last few years of false dawns, and I think Jones will be a big success, but I can’t seem to get excited about signings this summer.
    Feels like we’ve been here before with Camara, Kirk, DJ, Stockley etc etc 

• Anyone here really understand the regulations around signings? I’m a bit mystified with some of the early signings reported, because they appear to contravene the EFLs regulations. 

It was mentioned during the Dobbo saga, that you couldn’t sign a new contract with a new team within England until there was only 1 month left on the current contract. I did a quick search of the regs and rule 76 says that any over 24 player out of contract, can ( with a couple of caveats), sign a contract with a new team after the third Saturday in May. That would mean the earliest you could sign a contract this year would have been May 19th. 

JCH supposedly signed on May 15th, but unless a real agreed transfer took place,that shouldn’t have been possible. 
  • Anyone here really understand the regulations around signings? I’m a bit mystified with some of the early signings reported, because they appear to contravene the EFLs regulations. 

It was mentioned during the Dobbo saga, that you couldn’t sign a new contract with a new team within England until there was only 1 month left on the current contract. I did a quick search of the regs and rule 76 says that any over 24 player out of contract, can ( with a couple of caveats), sign a contract with a new team after the third Saturday in May. That would mean the earliest you could sign a contract this year would have been May 19th. 

JCH supposedly signed on May 15th, but unless a real agreed transfer took place,that shouldn’t have been possible. 
    But contracts start 1st July as old contracts end 30th June hence why in announcements made so far it says subject to EFL approval/registration etc etc. The date of the summer window is all bollox really as the season doesn’t start for ages.
  • TelMc32 said:
    YTS1978 said:
    Dazzler21 said:
    YTS1978 said:
    Don't believe #cafc's bid for Dunfermline's Josh Edwards has been rejected, as has been reported north of the border. 

And also it isn't a six-figure offer either.
    SLP
    Not sure why people are having a pop at Ronnie. He reposted something from the SLP. Nothing controversial abt that
    It was simply he didn't originally credit rich. So posted as if he were ITK. 
    At 5.39 his post got a lol. He then corrected it with the SLP info 5mins later. Then got quite a rude reply from someone at nearly midday. Bit unnecessary to a fellow fan, but each to their own I guess. COYA
    I “lolled” it simply because Rich’s tweet had already been shared the night before by @MarcusH26 and then @Red_Chester, who added an “It’s happening” comment. 

Mr Moore then comes along the next day, posting the words from the tweet, but no acknowledgment of where it came from, til he added that later (after my lol).

Not sure why people are feeling aggrieved on his behalf.  He is quite obviously a WUM on here and elsewhere & derives some perverse pleasure from posting so much BS.  I try not to feed the troll usually. Obviously a few others to avoid too. 
    Well he's even stated on the "other site" that he only posts on here to wind people up so it always makes me laugh when the "kindly souls" jump in to try & protect him, especially those holier than thou posters who rarely post at all but think Ronnie deserves saving  :D:D:D
  • Is Dan Potts the son of former West Ham defender Steve Potts?
  • Is Dan Potts the son of former West Ham defender Steve Potts?
    He is the brother of that weirdo drug addict, Crack Potts

• I just read on the unmentionable site that Luke Berry signing for us is 99.9%.

Dan Potts...not so much.
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!