Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton Summer Transfer Rumours 2024

Comments

• Options
    As many have already touched on, we’re all sceptical after the shite we’ve been through as fans and rightly so.  

To be fair, Man City fans are still sceptical after 4 Prems on the bounce, so I think we are taking a fairly measured approach. 
  • Options
    As many have already touched on, we’re all sceptical after the shite we’ve been through as fans and rightly so.  

To be fair, Man City fans are still sceptical after 4 Prems on the bounce, so I think we are taking a fairly measured approach. 

Agree, must get very boring watching that week in week out...🤮
  • Options
    edited May 23
  • Options
    YTS1978 said:
    RC_CAFC said:
    Sambcafc said:
    TelMc32 said:
    doronron said:
    Rotherham have signed 3 players already 
    Carlisle did the same last season and plenty on here weren’t happy we hadn’t done the same. Didn’t work out too well for them. 
    JCH, Joe Rafferty and Shaun McWilliams are all experienced players who have played to a higher level than our squad last season. Rotherham making good early moves, unsurprisingly with Evans in charge
    All decent league one signings, but none that I'm disappointed we didn't get. 

Not a dig at you but I read a lot of similar comments last summer about the Pompey business, along the lines of them going so early they were mopping up average players and not waiting for the better ones than apparently appear later in the window.

This is a good point and in all honestly, last year I was sceptical of Portsmouth’s business. But what it showed was that in league one you need a solid team of committed professionals who you can rely on week in, week out and then add a couple of X factor players to make that difference and win you the games.

All of those signings would have had us content but equally not going to cry about missing them.

Would be nice for us to get 1 or 2 in early to help Jones sell the project.

There is a reason why the top 3 teams in the league all have a 1 by their name for managers used and are all in the top 6 for least players used.

This is what we must be aspiring to next year, not the basket case stats at the top of this table.
    Jesus, did we really use 42 players last season? That's incredible.
    We used 42 bodies, but “players” is an over generous noun for a lot of those bodies.
  • Options

• Options
    9 games last season and hasn’t played much football in his career.

Not exactly who I was hoping would come in as number 1
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Yann897 said:

We've gone from Aldi to....pound stretcher???
  • Options
    Really screams in-demand and championship quality. Christ.
  • Options
    Yann897 said:

I read it as bringing in an experienced number 1 but Mannion to push the number 1 and get rid of the other 2. 
    That's how I read it too.
  • Options
    I said a page or two back we have to start looking at players that other, more attractive clubs aren’t.

It means that any name that comes out (Edwards from Dunfermline and Mannion from Cambridge) is going to feel underwhelming.

Will wait to see how they perform in a Charlton shirt before passing any judgements.
    I hear your angle but as we're not operating under a moneyball system (as far as we aware) there is likely a reason other clubs aren't looking at serial #2 Mannion or Edwards who has never played higher than the Scottish championship. They could both become Charlton legends in their own right but they're hardly the kind of names that are going to make people rush to the ticket office chequebook out. Personally am hoping we are chasing stronger targets but keeping it all under wraps 🤞
  • Options
    edited May 23
    I said a page or two back we have to start looking at players that other, more attractive clubs aren’t.

It means that any name that comes out (Edwards from Dunfermline and Mannion from Cambridge) is going to feel underwhelming.

Will wait to see how they perform in a Charlton shirt before passing any judgements.
    I hear your angle but as we're not operating under a moneyball system (as far as we aware) there is likely a reason other clubs aren't looking at serial #2 Mannion or Edwards who has never played higher than the Scottish championship. They could both become Charlton legends in their own right but they're hardly the kind of names that are going to make people rush to the ticket office chequebook out. Personally am hoping we are chasing stronger targets but keeping it all under wraps 🤞
    Theo Bair is/was a stronger target and looks like he’s going to the Championship. There’s numerous other “stronger” targets we’ve missed out on over recent years too. It gets boring hearing about all the players we wanted but they didn’t want to come here, for justified reasons.

I doubt we’re throwing money around (I do think some will be spent but not Ipswich levels) so we’ve got to be somewhat clever with the signings we make.
  • Options
    Yann897 said:

I read it as bringing in an experienced number 1 but Mannion to push the number 1 and get rid of the other 2. 
    Agree that that is how it reads to me.

Moving on Isted and AMB won't be simple as the likes of McGrandlles and Kirk has shown.

And if another more experienced keeper is to also join that isn't a big incentive for Mannion to join unless he's happy as the 2nd keeper or confident as to his ability to challenge the older guy.

We shall see.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    So we could be saying a big hello to Will Mannion 
  • Options
    The experienced number 1 is the important signing, not sure why anyone is that bothered who the backup is. He seems a solid enough number 2 for this level 

Isted will hopefully be sold, which will free up some wages. AMB will follow but perhaps on loan if the club think he still has a long term future here 
  • Options
    edited May 23
    Yann897 said:

Agreed. Quite apart from which it's quite tricky to see how any new keeper can be much worse than our current options, though Walker showed vs Cray that it is actually possible, if unlikely.
  • Options
    Well keeper was certainly an area we needed to address. Never heard of the fella, but good luck to him if he signs
  • Options
    Cambridge fan on Mannion

https://x.com/jsabjsabjsab/status/1793689098466873500?t=PhyeeULpnrWSI8nPArflhQ&s=19

"you’d be lucky to get him, i just can’t see him picking charlton since the number 1 spot wouldn’t be guaranteed, best thing for his career is probably to stay at cambridge for another year and the move on to the championship"
  • Options
    ButtleJR said:
    Cambridge fan on Mannion

https://x.com/jsabjsabjsab/status/1793689098466873500?t=PhyeeULpnrWSI8nPArflhQ&s=19

"you’d be lucky to get him, i just can’t see him picking charlton since the number 1 spot wouldn’t be guaranteed, best thing for his career is probably to stay at cambridge for another year and the move on to the championship"
    Sure when he sees his wages treble weekly he will be happy to be number 2 at Charlton 
  • Options
    He's not being touted as number 1