Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Charlton Summer Transfer Rumours 2024

Comments

• Potts signing on a year deal would complete the jigsaw and give cover as we dont know exactly how long Edwardes will be out. 
    Ive a feeling Kanu may get a start soon alongside Adahme as TC not really cutting it in that role - Can see them both running oppostion centre backs ragged and then bring on Chuks and Godden on the hour to capatilise when they are tired. 
    What a starting X1 and also a very very strong bench. - what a turnaround from the past few seasons. 
  • edited August 27
    Scoham said:
    'But a permanent deal did not materialise' doesn't sound that close, think if Jones had have really fancied signing him we would have - free transfer so the selling before buying was less of a factor.
  • edited August 27
    NabySarr said:
    Posted on another thread but more relevant here.

Our striker situation on paper looks pretty decent but it’s also pretty precarious. Chuks is Chuks, Miles has had a very long injury absence, Kanu is young and inexperienced and would he be up to the rigours of a full season of Jonesball ? I wouldn’t be that shocked if we brought in another front man. Loan most likely but if the right player is available at the right price then I can see something happening. Would be quite an ask of the owners though.
    We have 7 strikers, I can’t see us bringing in any more. 

If GK isn’t happening then I think left sided centre back is the only position we need to bring someone in. The rest of the squad is fine and will be more about outgoings 
    7 strikers but only 2 who are currently fit / capable of 90 mins / natural to the role or arguably proven at this level.

The 2 being Ahadme and Godden.

Chuks - will never play 90 mins
    Miles - won’t be match fit until Nov
    TC - learning what it needs to be central striker 
    Kanu - IMO would suit a loan (like we did with KAG)
    Dixon - will need months to settle 

So… I wouldn’t be suprised to see another striker coming in…
  • Potts signing on a year deal would complete the jigsaw and give cover as we dont know exactly how long Edwardes will be out. 
    Ive a feeling Kanu may get a start soon alongside Adahme as TC not really cutting it in that role - Can see them both running oppostion centre backs ragged and then bring on Chuks and Godden on the hour to capatilise when they are tired. 
    What a starting X1 and also a very very strong bench. - what a turnaround from the past few seasons. 
    Godden will be a starter with Ahadme not Kanu 
  • TC played well on Saturday, indeed he was more effective than Ahadme.

As a different option, Godden could play the number 9 role alongside TC or Kanu as he's more physical than May. It's not as if Ahadme won anything in the air on Saturday.

As a different option, Godden could play the number 9 role alongside TC or Kanu as he's more physical than May. It's not as if Ahadme won anything in the air on Saturday.
    Given he's 5"9 I doubt it. Ahadme did ok in the air and if he can go up against Mbengue this week he should dominate as he's the same height as Godden, might as well make the most of the height difference
  • edited August 27
    TC played well on Saturday, indeed he was more effective than Ahadme.

Who’s this May bloke of whom you speak?

You joking he was a constant threat and his pressing led to the first goal .. far better then Campbell who just don’t read the game 
  • Sponsored links:

• If there is an opportunity for Cornick to sign on loan with potential to sign then it’s a no brainer in my eyes. 
    What would he give us that we don’t already have? From the little I know he’s another winger/striker without much of a goalscoring record but known for his work rate. 

I struggle to see how he’d be a guaranteed starter and we don’t need another squad option to rotate with TC, Kanu, Godden and Dixon.

• PFA free agents playing today (including a certain Michael Hector), GK's are Jamal Blackman and Jordan Amissah. Don't know anything about Amissah but Blackman would be a good second choice option, probably better than AMB and would push Mannion. 
  • fenaddick said:
    PFA free agents playing today (including a certain Michael Hector), GK's are Jamal Blackman and Jordan Amissah. Don't know anything about Amissah but Blackman would be a good second choice option, probably better than AMB and would push Mannion. 
    Quite a few ex players playing.
  • While most would agree Santos had an off day on Saturday he is still a difficult player to play against and Ahadme did ok. 
  • Posted on another thread but more relevant here.

Our striker situation on paper looks pretty decent but it’s also pretty precarious. Chuks is Chuks, Miles has had a very long injury absence, Kanu is young and inexperienced and would he be up to the rigours of a full season of Jonesball ? I wouldn’t be that shocked if we brought in another front man. Loan most likely but if the right player is available at the right price then I can see something happening. Would be quite an ask of the owners though.
    I agree, we’ve got the numbers but not the fitness. TC is good in that position and causes defenders all sorts of problems but alongside him Ahadme looks very raw, he must be one for the future. His positioning is not quite clicking and he seems very hesitant in possession. Would love TC and Chuks to start up front together but that’s not going to happen. We need another backup if we can.
  • Sponsored links:

• fenaddick said:
    PFA free agents playing today (including a certain Michael Hector), GK's are Jamal Blackman and Jordan Amissah. Don't know anything about Amissah but Blackman would be a good second choice option, probably better than AMB and would push Mannion. 
    Picked the right position - was never going to make it as a striker with that name.
  • edited August 27
    Yann897 said:
    Amazing how we all see things differently. I don’t think Ahadme & TC will ever be a good enough line leading pairing but can see I’m clearly an outliner. 
    Well we’re 3 wins in 3 so far so can’t be doing too bad, of course alot of that comes down to the defence and midfield but it’s also about defending from the front and the work rate they’re putting in. The way they’re dropping off because of the pace of Campbell and the work rate of Ahadme & also what’s gone unnoticed I think is the headers Ahadme wins in our own box.
    Ah, The Stockley Defense!
  • edited August 27
    Amazing how we all see things differently. I don’t think Ahadme & TC will ever be a good enough line leading pairing but can see I’m clearly an outliner. 
    Think this will become more obvious when we concede a few and are under pressure to attack and score goals.
  • edited August 27
    Looking at the squad I am hoping for Edun out Potts in to give more balance and cover and then Taylor and Fraser out and maybe one more midfielder in to give 6 in that area.  

Would then get Nathan A a loan as well. 
  • Scoham said:
    Bailey said:
    Scoham said:
    Bailey said:
    DDOUBLEE said:
    Millwall fans cracking up and saying “good luck with him” - they had him under Edwards who wanted midfielders to get the ball down and pass it

Luton fans looking at it and saying “lump on Charlton to win the league” - they had his best form under Jones who wanted defensively disciplined midfielders

He’s a central midfielder - he is NOT a creative central midfielder but he is very good at being a spoiler. Jones absolutely loves him. I see him as Conor Coventry competition.
    I can’t take Millwall opinions seriously, Alex Mitchell didn’t make a single appearance for them yet would probably walk into their side easily 
    I can't believe you wrote that, has the difference in the two divisions and the quality of that football not dawned on you ? Alex Mitchell has done very well here in three games, yes three games, he didn't 'walk into their side' because three managers at Millwall, decided he wasn't good enough . 
    Hard for some of them to play him to be fair once he was on loan at Lincoln last season and could only be recalled in January (if at all).
    Scoham, you are missing the point. He was loaned out because his parent club had better cover in the position he plays. If, as you are suggesting, the managers had their hands tied by a loan deal then that would only apply to one those three managers, as the other two loaned him and sold him, which brings me back to my criticism of the post, Mitchell would not walk into that side because, at least two managers maybe three didn't think he was better than the players they had.  
    Yeah I don't disagree with that, but all I'm saying is we don't know how the first two managers would have viewed him this summer after his good spell at Lincoln. Probably not well enough to walk into their team, but he made good progress last season so even the manager who loaned him out may have changed his opinion.
    Wasn't he just into the last year of his contract & wouldn't sign the new one that millwall offered plus he wasn't going to be a first choice & so they reluctantly let him move on for a small fee + a decent sell on clause rather than lose him for nothing next year. 
  • Yann897 said:
    fenaddick said:
    Some quite well known players in that list, the sorts you wouldn't have thought would need a PFA game to attract attention. Carl Jenkinson, Dwight Gayle, Ravel Morrison and Martin Waghorn for example 
  • That PFA side has quite a few players I'm surprised haven't got clubs - Alex Gorrin had a long spell at Oxford but has had a few injuries , Harry Kite was solid at Exeter, Marcus Browne seemed to be linked with us every window at one stage. Kadeem Harris was highly thought of at Cardiff but never really fulfilled his potential , has seemed to spend the last 3 years bouncing around Turkish clubs. 

No one there I'd really want to look at for our situation but some interesting names. 
  • Yann897 said:
    fenaddick said:
    Some quite well known players in that list, the sorts you wouldn't have thought would need a PFA game to attract attention. Carl Jenkinson, Dwight Gayle, Ravel Morrison and Martin Waghorn for example 
    Wonder if a few have had fitness issues and it's a game to try to show they're fit and ready etc?
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!