Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Charlton Summer Transfer Rumours 2024

Comments

• Leuth said:
    Chunes said:
    Leuth said:
    Millwall fans cracking up and saying “good luck with him” - they had him under Edwards who wanted midfielders to get the ball down and pass it

Luton fans looking at it and saying “lump on Charlton to win the league” - they had his best form under Jones who wanted defensively disciplined midfielders

He’s a central midfielder - he is NOT a creative central midfielder but he is very good at being a spoiler. Jones absolutely loves him. I see him as Conor Coventry competition.
    The man's just shut down the 'best team in the league' and we're saying he needs competition? Come on. Campbell is in as a squad option, not 'competition' for a guy who's clearly one of our best players 
    Every player should have competition.
    Campbell is in contention for three slots, not one, is my point
    The way we are now playing it would be surprising if all three stay fit throughout the season.
  • think a young CB , GK but not urgent now , possibly another midfielder … we’re nearly done 
  • edited August 26
    From what NJ said in the SLP they may wait till January for a keeper
    I would be much happier to wait and see what options are available then rather than signing (just for example) a Lumley type just for the sake of it.

I'm not expecting much more business inwards, if the right player is available then great but if not we don't actually need anything else in a pure numbers sense - a few areas it would be nice for a few more options but we have enough bodies to at least get by.
  • I've been impressed enough by Mannion that I do not want to see him benched, and if we were to bring in someone else then it would be pointless unless they are better than Ash, who I still hold out hope for
  • Bailey said:
    Scoham said:
    Bailey said:
    DDOUBLEE said:
    Millwall fans cracking up and saying “good luck with him” - they had him under Edwards who wanted midfielders to get the ball down and pass it

Luton fans looking at it and saying “lump on Charlton to win the league” - they had his best form under Jones who wanted defensively disciplined midfielders

He’s a central midfielder - he is NOT a creative central midfielder but he is very good at being a spoiler. Jones absolutely loves him. I see him as Conor Coventry competition.
    I can’t take Millwall opinions seriously, Alex Mitchell didn’t make a single appearance for them yet would probably walk into their side easily 
    I can't believe you wrote that, has the difference in the two divisions and the quality of that football not dawned on you ? Alex Mitchell has done very well here in three games, yes three games, he didn't 'walk into their side' because three managers at Millwall, decided he wasn't good enough . 
    Hard for some of them to play him to be fair once he was on loan at Lincoln last season and could only be recalled in January (if at all).
    Scoham, you are missing the point. He was loaned out because his parent club had better cover in the position he plays. If, as you are suggesting, the managers had their hands tied by a loan deal then that would only apply to one those three managers, as the other two loaned him and sold him, which brings me back to my criticism of the post, Mitchell would not walk into that side because, at least two managers maybe three didn't think he was better than the players they had.  
    Didn't Millwall literally sack a member of staff because them not keeping proper tabs on him caused him to refuse to sign a new contract when they thought he was going to be an important part of their club going forward? Not sure their recent judgment is anything to go by
    I hadn't heard that. I think there is a similarity to the Lucas Ness situation though, with the club leaving the decision down to the player and with that being the case with Ness and Mitchell then my take on it would be that both clubs were not falling over themselves to keep either player. 
  • Bailey said:
    Bailey said:
    Scoham said:
    Bailey said:
    DDOUBLEE said:

I can’t take Millwall opinions seriously, Alex Mitchell didn’t make a single appearance for them yet would probably walk into their side easily 
    I can't believe you wrote that, has the difference in the two divisions and the quality of that football not dawned on you ? Alex Mitchell has done very well here in three games, yes three games, he didn't 'walk into their side' because three managers at Millwall, decided he wasn't good enough . 
    Hard for some of them to play him to be fair once he was on loan at Lincoln last season and could only be recalled in January (if at all).
    Scoham, you are missing the point. He was loaned out because his parent club had better cover in the position he plays. If, as you are suggesting, the managers had their hands tied by a loan deal then that would only apply to one those three managers, as the other two loaned him and sold him, which brings me back to my criticism of the post, Mitchell would not walk into that side because, at least two managers maybe three didn't think he was better than the players they had.  
    Didn't Millwall literally sack a member of staff because them not keeping proper tabs on him caused him to refuse to sign a new contract when they thought he was going to be an important part of their club going forward? Not sure their recent judgment is anything to go by
    I hadn't heard that. I think there is a similarity to the Lucas Ness situation though, with the club leaving the decision down to the player and with that being the case with Ness and Mitchell then my take on it would be that both clubs were not falling over themselves to keep either player. 
    There's no similarity there. Millwall wanted to keep Mitchell, tied to get him to sign an extension and were annoyed he'd decided to leave, and we extended Ness specifically to get a fee for him and actively tried to move him on, as indicated by the fact he had his number taken off him.
  • Gomez trending on Twitter.

Big rumour about him going to Palace.

Mixed feelings for me if this is true 
  • Richard J said:
    Gomez trending on Twitter.

Can't see it happening for two reasons. First you have Villa and Newcastle interested and with Villa able to offer Champs League football either club will be more attractive.

Also can't see Palace splashing out £40m+ on a player when they're currently selling to raise funds for the ground redevelopment.
  • Sponsored links:

• Best case scenario if he goes there is they don't sign anyone else and they go down, and he leaves them in the summer 
  • Richard J said:

Can't see it happening for two reasons. First you have Villa and Newcastle interested and with Villa able to offer Champs League football either club will be more attractive.

Also can't see Palace splashing out £40m+ on a player when they're currently selling to raise funds for the ground redevelopment.
    They’ve just sold Anderson for £30m, if they sold Guehi as well then I think it could happen 
  • thenewbie said:
    From what NJ said in the SLP they may wait till January for a keeper
    I would be much happier to wait and see what options are available then rather than signing (just for example) a Lumley type just for the sake of it.

I'm not expecting much more business inwards, if the right player is available then great but if not we don't actually need anything else in a pure numbers sense - a few areas it would be nice for a few more options but we have enough bodies to at least get by.

Getting on a bit since her New Avengers days but could probably still do a job between the sticks
  • Valley11 said:
    Literally couldn’t care less if it means Jones has a war chest for a couple of January additions to get us over the line. 
    Realistically I don’t think it will have much impact when there is only a few days left in the window. Might have more of an impact on what we do in January 
  • If they lost Guehi and Anderson and signed Gomez, I’m really not sure that’s a good outcome for them.

Joe can shine when he has VVD alongside him like in their title season. I’m not sure he is right for the main man role at a club like Palace. Giving me vibes of the kind of moves we made the season we went down - can only hope!
  • edited August 27
    Bailey said:
    Bailey said:
    Scoham said:
    Bailey said:
    DDOUBLEE said:

There's no similarity there. Millwall wanted to keep Mitchell, tied to get him to sign an extension and were annoyed he'd decided to leave, and we extended Ness specifically to get a fee for him and actively tried to move him on, as indicated by the fact he had his number taken off him.
    I think you missed the similarity. It would have been in Millwall's interest to get him to sign an extension just as it was in our interest to extend Lucas Ness's contract. But back to the point of the original post, Alex Mitchell would walk back into Millwall's defence, in a four year deal he only played once for Millwall but was a success in every loan move he made. I rate him, he's doing well and he's certainly young enough to become a fine player, time will tell, but he certainly would not walk back into Millwall's back four as he didn't manage that in four years. 
  • Richard J said:

I'll take Palarse's money 
  • As NJ is getting the band back together, I wonder if we might go in for Harry Cornick on loan from Bristol City. He's not featured in the league so far this season. 
    We went in for Cornick on a perm but couldn't match wages, I think he's now starting to be used a bit more at Bristol City but who knows, I'm not quite sure where we would play him now to be fair 
  • Sponsored links:

• Can't see any more coming in now. No need for selection headaches. We're not Chelsea.
  • edited August 27
    Foxycafc said:
    Can't see any more coming in now. No need for selection headaches. We're not Chelsea.
    I do think maybe one more and that’s only if they are a clear upgrade on someone else who’s already in the building. Otherwise you might be right.

It’s quite clear at this point that any GK that comes in isn’t going to be much (if any) upgrade on Mannion and that situation will be revisited in January. Maybe a free agent third choice on a short term deal if NJ is desperate for a body behind Mannion and AMB.

Even someone who’s a free agent like Dan Potts could be signed up outside of the window so there’s no rush to do anything with that situation either.
  • edited August 27
    Most likely things to keep an eye on at this point IMO are potential outgoings. 

Fraser, Taylor, Edun all possible depending on who of the trio has any interest…

Asiimwe needs a developmental loan, maybe Kanu as well if he’s not going to get a look in.
  • PWADDICK said:
    PWADDICK said:
    With the rumour of Theo Bain coming in from Motherwell, it reminds me of when NJ signed Allan Campbell to Luton from Motherwell, who conveniently is out of contract this summer. Played only 12 times last season for them lot down the road on loan but is just the kind of combative midfielder we could do with.
    Am I ITK?
    No, you thought he was out of contract....
    Ah yeah, well if Alan Nixon claims to be so will I 
  • edited August 27
    I wonder, if the fact that teams loaning players now get a cut of future transfer fees will mean that clubs are less inclined to loan out their younger players with potential, would 2 or 3 loans make a substantial dent in transfer income? ie would we want to send Kanu out on development loans too often. Or am I reading this all wrong?
  • Posted on another thread but more relevant here.

Our striker situation on paper looks pretty decent but it’s also pretty precarious. Chuks is Chuks, Miles has had a very long injury absence, Kanu is young and inexperienced and would he be up to the rigours of a full season of Jonesball ? I wouldn’t be that shocked if we brought in another front man. Loan most likely but if the right player is available at the right price then I can see something happening. Would be quite an ask of the owners though.

• Posted on another thread but more relevant here.

Our striker situation on paper looks pretty decent but it’s also pretty precarious. Chuks is Chuks, Miles has had a very long injury absence, Kanu is young and inexperienced and would he be up to the rigours of a full season of Jonesball ? I wouldn’t be that shocked if we brought in another front man. Loan most likely but if the right player is available at the right price then I can see something happening. Would be quite an ask of the owners though.
    We have 7 strikers, I can’t see us bringing in any more. 

If GK isn’t happening then I think left sided centre back is the only position we need to bring someone in. The rest of the squad is fine and will be more about outgoings 
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!