Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Charlton Summer Transfer Rumours 2024

Comments

• edited August 26
    Millwall fans cracking up and saying “good luck with him” - they had him under Edwards who wanted midfielders to get the ball down and pass it

Luton fans looking at it and saying “lump on Charlton to win the league” - they had his best form under Jones who wanted defensively disciplined midfielders

He’s a central midfielder - he is NOT a creative central midfielder but he is very good at being a spoiler. Jones absolutely loves him. I see him as Conor Coventry competition.
    The man's just shut down the 'best team in the league' and we're saying he specifically - just him, not anyone else - needs competition? Come on. Campbell is in as a squad option, not 'competition' for a guy who's clearly one of our best players 
  • RedRobin said:
    Sounds like a Pratley type, which in this league is a something you need. Would still like a 10. Hoping the club are targeting that position this week. 
    Do you? What if you can have people that give Pratley's level of effort and discipline, but also manage to pass to teammates sometimes? 
  • Leuth said:
    Millwall fans cracking up and saying “good luck with him” - they had him under Edwards who wanted midfielders to get the ball down and pass it

Luton fans looking at it and saying “lump on Charlton to win the league” - they had his best form under Jones who wanted defensively disciplined midfielders

He’s a central midfielder - he is NOT a creative central midfielder but he is very good at being a spoiler. Jones absolutely loves him. I see him as Conor Coventry competition.
    The man's just shut down the 'best team in the league' and we're saying he needs competition? Come on. Campbell is in as a squad option, not 'competition' for a guy who's clearly one of our best players 
    No one should be untouchable in this team - if there’s quality available we should go and get them regardless of what position they play.
    Of course. It's a great signing as it gives us strength in an area where we can expect injury due to the amount of effort expended and engagements with opposition players. Reducing it to 'competition' with one player is ridiculous 
  • RedRobin said:
    Sounds like a Pratley type, which in this league is a something you need. Would still like a 10. Hoping the club are targeting that position this week. 
    It’s been said before, but the way Jones wants us to play does not really accommodate a traditional number 10.
    We don't need a number 10 but we need a midfielder that can dig in but also play clever little passes, a new Kinsella.  Somebody to just slip passes through, basically Fraser with passion and workrate.
  • edited August 26
    A-Are... Are we going to get to Friday and it be a bit of a meh day for incomings, because our business will be done?

Wont even need to sign someone like Potts before Friday, what with him being a Freebie
    Great, maybe get an early night in, makes a change on the final day for us to be sitting pretty and settled, good on ya Nathan...
    More about outgoings now...
  • cfgs said:
    RedRobin said:
    It’s been said before, but the way Jones wants us to play does not really accommodate a traditional number 10.
    We don't need a number 10 but we need a midfielder that can dig in but also play clever little passes, a new Kinsella.  Somebody to just slip passes through, basically Fraser with passion and workrate.
    Coventry, Berry and Docherty are not exactly what you'd call uncultured cloggers, are they. You wouldn't say they don't have the 'clever pass' in their locker 
  • Chunes said:
    Leuth said:

The man's just shut down the 'best team in the league' and we're saying he needs competition? Come on. Campbell is in as a squad option, not 'competition' for a guy who's clearly one of our best players 
    Every player should have competition.
    Campbell is in contention for three slots, not one, is my point
  • Sponsored links:

• edited August 26
    The way that Jones has always spoken about loan deals, it does feel that Campbell is here to challenge Coventry from the bench rather than to oust him from the starting eleven - Its needed as well... Lets be honest, on Saturday we made three changes, two in attack one in midfield, with the majority of us a bit unsure whether the game suited Karoy or not.

We've got plenty of cover in attack, same for our Full-Backs with Watson ready to cover either if they're tiring.

But looking on the bench these last two games, and we've very few Midfielders to even come on and allow Coventry / Docherty to have a rest. Based on where he's played (Going by ButtleJr's post below), he looks like someone who can sit on the bench and act as cover for any of the three, which'll be vital as the season progresses.
  • Campbells stats suggest he's more of a Berry/Doc competition than a holder to compete with Coventry. 
  • ButtleJR said:
    20 G/A in 97 games in centre midfield. Don't think he's as defensive as we think! 
    This is my point. Jones has three midfield slots and he has shown he's happy to deploy an apparent DM in a more advanced role (Dobson for example) if they have a good engine 
  • edited August 26
    Leuth said:
    Chunes said:
    Leuth said:

I think your point was pretty clear...!
  • The way that Jones has always spoken about loan deals, it does feel that Campbell is here to challenge Coventry from the bench rather than to oust him from the starting eleven - Its needed as well... Lets be honest, on Saturday we made three changes, two in attack one in midfield, with the majority of us a bit unsure whether the game suited Karoy or not.

We've got plenty of cover in attack, same for our Full-Backs with Watson ready to cover either if they're tiring.

But looking on the bench these last two games, and we've very few Midfielders to even come on and allow Coventry / Docherty to have a rest. Based on where he's played (Going by ButtleJr's post below), he looks like someone who can sit on the bench and act as cover for any of the three.
    I do think this is a different type of loan to what Jones has spoken about previously. It’s not a case of developing an untested 19yr old from an academy. I suspect we ideally wanted a permanent move but that wasn’t possible for some reason 
  • Millwall fans cracking up and saying “good luck with him” - they had him under Edwards who wanted midfielders to get the ball down and pass it

Agree on the last bit other than I think he’ll be competition for the DM and CM roles, from what I’ve seen he’s played in both positions.

This should free up Terry Taylor to move on and takes pressure off Anderson from being our only real cover in midfield.
  • Chunes said:
    Leuth said:
    Chunes said:
    Leuth said:

I think your point was pretty clear...!
    My point was one about framing. It's pretty clear when some fans are keen for a player to fail, even after he's put in a near-perfect performance 
  • Good player when fit.
  • RedRobin said:
    Yeah would like to see a ball carrier that can get us up the pitch and create something from nothing, still think that is lacking. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Leuth said:
    Chunes said:
    Leuth said:

Jesus man alright alright. I didn’t mean it any particular way.

I do agree that Campbell can, and will, also cover the other midfield positions. He’s just a more natural fit than any of those players (Docherty, Anderson, Berry) at slotting in at DM, should Coventry lose form or get injured.
  • Leuth said:
    Chunes said:
    Leuth said:

I do agree that Campbell can, and will, also cover the other midfield positions. He’s just a more natural fit than any of those players (Docherty, Anderson, Berry) at slotting in at DM, should Coventry lose form or get injured.
    Right, yes. That's not the same as 'I see him as Coventry competition', is it? More 'I see him as cover/competition for the entire midfield' 
  • The first home match I saw was Charlton's 1-0 win over Plymouth Argyle in September 1967 when the only goal was scored by Alan Campbell. Adding a extra 'l' to his first name can't disguise the fact that the guy must be at least 78 by now....  
  • edited August 26
    Leuth said:
    Leuth said:
    Chunes said:
    Leuth said:

Right, yes. That's not the same as 'I see him as Coventry competition', is it? More 'I see him as cover/competition for the entire midfield' 
    ??? Semantics at this point surely. First and foremost, I do see him as Conor Coventry competition but I can also see midfield trios of Coventry, Campbell and Docherty for horrible away days like Birmingham, Bolton and Huddersfield.

Take a look at the second video I posted where he is clearly playing the DM role.
  • Yet another Sweaty though, is there an unwritten rule that we must always have a couple of them in the squad at all times? 
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!