Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Charlton Summer Transfer Rumours 2024

Comments

• edited August 26
    sam3110 said:
    Yet another Sweaty though, is there an unwritten rule that we must always have a couple of them in the squad at all times? 
    Curbs thought so.
  • edited August 26
    Odd that an established Championship player would come to Charlton to sit on the bench?
    Maybe as replacement for Anderson going on a loan? Although that seems unlikely.
  • sam3110 said:
    Yet another Sweaty though, is there an unwritten rule that we must always have a couple of them in the squad at all times? 
    To get promoted yes.
  • Is he out of contract at Luton next season?
    If so, it’s another sensible move by Jones. Not a loan for loans sake but a chance to get a championship player in who, if it works out for both sides, will sign when we’re in the championship ;-)
  • I wonder if Taylor will leave on loan instead of for a fee, and hopefully get a full season under his belt
  • Sponsored links:

• Valley11 said:
    Is he out of contract at Luton next season?
    If so, it’s another sensible move by Jones. Not a loan for loans sake but a chance to get a championship player in who, if it works out for both sides, will sign when we’re in the championship ;-)
    weirdly can’t find any contract length details anywhere 
  • edited August 26
    Valley11 said:
    Believe so yes - couple of Luton fans asking why are they loaning him not selling him 
  • The new must-have fashion accessory for Charlton fans
    I don’t need to know what you get up to in the bedroom Henry. 
  • edited August 26
    Excellent player , awful source. That TransferCentre9 account has been making up rubbish for years. I can't see Stockport parting with their key striker in Olafe for £700k. 
  • Seems like a very good signing, glad Jones has broken his no loans rule. Shows how important Jones acquisition was,  I doubt we'd have the likes of Docherty, Berry, Mitchell etc without him, and now he's getting another player who appears to be a level above. 

As for the debate about where he will place in this team, I don't think he's coming here to be second fiddle tbh, I think Jones has told him there's a space for him to nail down a starting role. How else would we have landed a championship quality player, who didn't want to move down to league 1. Especially on loan. 

• edited August 26
    The new must-have fashion accessory for Charlton fans
    Charlton branch of the Bay City Rollers fan club merchandise?
  • Southbank said:
    Odd that an established Championship player would come to Charlton to sit on the bench?
    Maybe as replacement for Anderson going on a loan? Although that seems unlikely.
    No way we need two midfielders that’s one why bring one and let another go when your short in that area 
  • Sponsored links:

• The new must-have fashion accessory for Charlton fans
    I wish I could find the one I had.
  • Leuth said:
    Chunes said:
    Leuth said:
    Chunes said:
    Leuth said:
    Millwall fans cracking up and saying “good luck with him” - they had him under Edwards who wanted midfielders to get the ball down and pass it

Luton fans looking at it and saying “lump on Charlton to win the league” - they had his best form under Jones who wanted defensively disciplined midfielders

He’s a central midfielder - he is NOT a creative central midfielder but he is very good at being a spoiler. Jones absolutely loves him. I see him as Conor Coventry competition.
    The man's just shut down the 'best team in the league' and we're saying he needs competition? Come on. Campbell is in as a squad option, not 'competition' for a guy who's clearly one of our best players 
    Every player should have competition.
    Campbell is in contention for three slots, not one, is my point
    I think your point was pretty clear...!
    My point was one about framing. It's pretty clear when some fans are keen for a player to fail, even after he's put in a near-perfect performance 
    Wanting him to fail.

Said absolutely no one.
  • MarcusH26 said:
    Excellent player , awful source. That TransferCentre9 account has been making up rubbish for years. I can't see Stockport parting with their key striker in Olafe for £700k. 
    Especially as he just signed a new three year contract.
  • sam3110 said:
    Yes, after our squad full of Welsh stars a few years ago. Maybe we’ll move on to Irish over the next few seasons.
  • We’re going to be a really horrible team to play against this year aren’t we 
    Long may it continue. We've already seen that we can get success by just harassing and hassling teams relentlessly until they start getting tired and fall apart. This just let's us keep that up.

From the point of view of other teams, just imagine an afternoon of putting up with constant pressure and then we bring on fresh legs to keep that up even longer.

Jones has shown pretty good instincts for just when to start cycling through the subs and it forces teams to potentially react to us rather than the other way round.
  • fenaddick said:
    Valley11 said:
    weirdly can’t find any contract length details anywhere 
    Luton fan blogger says o.o.c next year. Rumour Luton paying some of his wages:- useful as we can use that to unload Fraser.
  • "asked if a transfer deal was close on Saturday (Jones) told the South London Press: “It will get closer because we’ve only got a few days left.

“We will do business this week, I’m convinced we will.”

Asked if the final week of the window is good or bad to be doing business in or out, the Welshman told our paper last week: “There are no real surprises. A few people for their own career need to go. If they don’t then they are good players so they will be involved here.

“But if we’re looking to tweak and so on then the squad is slightly too big, so we have to streamline a little bit more. But we will definitely do some business and strengthen the squad. Then it is up to us to evaluate who we keep and who really needs to go to get the game time.

“We have got a strong squad and we’re categorically stronger than we were before. I’ve had a lot of time with them. So anyone who comes in now we’d like, one, for them to know how we play and really have to improve us on every level. And as we improve every window that gets harder.”

Charlton goalkeeper Will Mannion has kept three clean sheets in the league.

Jones had wanted to bring in another stopper but a succession of targets have gone elsewhere. They held talks with Asmir Begovic after his release by QPR but he signed last week for Everton.

Asked if that is still an area he would like to do something, the Charlton boss – speaking before the 2-0 victory over Leyton Orient –  said: “We want to improve every area. We are not going to do anything kneejerk or for the sake of it, because we’re very confident in the ones that we have.

“We’ve kept two clean sheets but I’d like to improve us defensively. We have scored in both league games and were excellent against Portsmouth at home but I’d still like to improve and that never ever changes.

“It just means if we don’t do any business that it is not the right time or the options are not available, at that time, to do that. But we will constantly strive to improve the squad, facilities, environment and the ambience. It is a daily thing we do.

“We’re delighted with what we have in the goalkeeping department. We will always look to improve that – and that could be another six months.”

This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!