Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Charlton Summer Transfer Rumours 2024

Comments

• Would have liked to see Taylor being given a proper chance, shame he didn't start again Brum let alone wasn't on the bench. 
  • follett said:
    seth plum said:
    fenaddick said:
    seth plum said:
    Dixon securing a work permit and permissions seems to be the big problem with that transfer.
    I wouldn’t mentally factor him in until he becomes a realistic option to pick, at the moment he is a bit of a fantasy and each of us is imprinting on his name and game the player we would like him to be.
    Wait and see, it might go all Andy Delort.
    As for loans, we ought to have learned our lesson by now, never loan an indifferent player in from a ‘bigger’ club unless they will definitely do a better job than one of our eager youngsters coming through.
    It is an unnecessary spend and a poor signal to our own guys

Wouldn’t say there are any problems just that these things take time and that will be factored in
    When you say takes time, I imagine there might be several tens of thousands in the queue ahead of Dixon waiting for an ordinary UK work permit, unless there is some kind of fast track option.
    Wouldn’t the authorities favour a surgeon over a footballer?
    You can usually pay a bit extra with visas for priority or super priority which give a decision within 5 days and 1 day respectively. Whilst expensive for the average person, I'd expect the club to use this option if possible
    Also the FA is registered as an issuing authority so not as if he has to queue up in Croydon.

But as ever WIOTOS
  • follett said:
    seth plum said:
    fenaddick said:
    seth plum said:
    Dixon securing a work permit and permissions seems to be the big problem with that transfer.
    I wouldn’t mentally factor him in until he becomes a realistic option to pick, at the moment he is a bit of a fantasy and each of us is imprinting on his name and game the player we would like him to be.
    Wait and see, it might go all Andy Delort.
    As for loans, we ought to have learned our lesson by now, never loan an indifferent player in from a ‘bigger’ club unless they will definitely do a better job than one of our eager youngsters coming through.
    It is an unnecessary spend and a poor signal to our own guys

Wouldn’t say there are any problems just that these things take time and that will be factored in
    When you say takes time, I imagine there might be several tens of thousands in the queue ahead of Dixon waiting for an ordinary UK work permit, unless there is some kind of fast track option.
    Wouldn’t the authorities favour a surgeon over a footballer?
    You can usually pay a bit extra with visas for priority or super priority which give a decision within 5 days and 1 day respectively. Whilst expensive for the average person, I'd expect the club to use this option if possible
    Also the FA is registered as an issuing authority so not as if he has to queue up in Croydon.

But as ever WIOTOS
    Priority is £500 and super priority is £1000, peanuts for a football club really.
  • Two weeks to get Dixons work permit sorted out. Anyone else thinking this ain’t going to happen in time ?
  • Two weeks to get Dixons work permit sorted out. Anyone else thinking this ain’t going to happen in time ?
    No. Two weeks is plenty. If we get to a day or two before with nothing, then maybe it's more worrying, but not yet.
  • Feel that Taylor hasn’t had a fair crack of the whip, so, can’t be good for his morale that he’s not been given a chance. 

Having said that, Jones will have seen him in pre season games/training to have formed an impression and I/we just have to trust his judgement.
    I think you are right sillav but there is also the situation of Jones wanting to add to the squad and letting players go from positions in which we are well covered to facilitate new arrivals. 

Pretty sure Chelsea have a history of signing players who weren't eligible for work permits and then loaning them out to countries where there weren't the same restrictions.

In fact didn't we do the same with a couple of young African lads a few years back?

Surely the worst case scenario is we complete the signing without the permit (assuming we are 100% confident it will get granted eventually) and he just trains with us till the paperwork is rubber stamped.

Pretty sure Chelsea have a history of signing players who weren't eligible for work permits and then loaning them out to countries where there weren't the same restrictions.

In fact didn't we do the same with a couple of young African lads a few years back?

Surely the worst case scenario is we complete the signing without the permit (assuming we are 100% confident it will get granted eventually) and he just trains with us till the paperwork is rubber stamped.
    Yep, back in 2008 we signed 5 players from Ivory Coast. None of whom had a work permit. Looking at their careers I don't think we missed much tbh:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Konan_Serge_Kouadio
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Serges_D%C3%A9bl%C3%A9
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Isma%C3%ABl_B%C3%A9ko_Fofana
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bakary_Soro
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cyriac

• Sponsored links:

• Our midfield looks pretty weak when Taylor goes. Suspect we’ll sign one when Fraser goes and Edun will be the 6th choice 
  • Contrary to others,  I thought that was a reasonable cameo by Edun, on Tuesday evening. 

I think he is a footballer, with lots of pace and energy. 

Agree. I think there's an element of bias as we're used to his underwhelming displays at left back / left wing back but he showed up in midfield on Tuesday imho
  • Chunes said:
    clive said:
    That "he's being rested for next season" was a top notch CL Faux Fact though, well played. 
    I never entirely bought that. It was kinder to the player to say that, but it wasn't as if we just drifted through the last 3 months with nothing to play for where we could be really patient with him, and that the priority was that Taylor came back in the summer as a key player for this season. 

Jones clearly wasn't bothered about having him in the team at the end of last season.
  • Thought Edun was poor on Tuesday, happily see him off our books 
    Totally agree he is just not good enough

everytime he touches the ball it goes wrong or the move breaks down 

Not good enough lb/lwb or midfield get rid!
  • I think we ll keep edun as he's versatile 
  • Sponsored links:

• edited August 15
    Not seen anything from Taylor in a Charlton shirt but he has been injured and played, or usually not played, under three different managers.

Might be a lower end of league 1 side willing to take a punt on him on loan if we subsidise his wages.
  • Not seen anything from Taylor in a Charlton shirt but he has been injured and played, or usually not played, under three different managers.

Might be a lower end of league 1 side willing to take a punt on him on loan if we subsidise his wages.
    I'm not sure Taylor even knows what colour we play in poor lad! 
  • I still think there’s players who’ve played some part in the first two games that NJ would see go if it helps get him who he sees as making us stronger. Writing seems to be on the wall for Ness, Fraser, AMB and Taylor but I think likes of Tennai, Edun, REG and Small could also leave as we scramble to get the balance that sees us be able to bring other bodies in. I still think we’re at least 3 starting XI players short. 
  • Not seen anything from Taylor in a Charlton shirt but he has been injured and played, or usually not played, under three different managers.

I'm not sure Taylor even knows what colour we play in poor lad! 
    It should always be red unless there is a colour clash!!!
  • The thing thats particularly disappointing about Terry Taylor is that when he arrived from Burton and you looked at his compilation video, his best attribute was dead ball deliveries from corners and free kicks. We are completely hopeless at that. I think Coventry is a decent player but he cant take a decent free kick and we never seem to score from corners either 
    I thought our deadball delivery against Wigan was much better tbf, but the movement in the box was still lacking.

From memory Edwards was on corners.
  • Interesting that Taylor is quite a similar player to Coventry in possession. In that position, if it's a choice between a playmaker or an anchor... We're a direct team that relies on quick transitions, so what's the point of having a playmaker... NJ has more need for the more physical anchor-type rather than a Pirlo who will keep possession. 
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!