Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Charlton Summer Transfer Rumours 2024

Comments

• I think Jones' comment about Zach Mitchell is more telling than anything when it comes to Taylor: 'he’s aggressive, front-footed and really mobile. So these are people we want to take forward'. Taylor's known for putting in a tackle but I think he's not a blood and thunder type midfielder and I guess he hasn't been able to adapt to the front-footed press like Jones would want. When Edun came on against Birmingham he was flying into tackles and challenging for high balls so he's clearly trying to work the way he's being asked, you'd have to suspect Taylor hasn't been able to change his game in the same way and that's why Edun made the squad and Taylor didn't. I think it's a real shame as I was comfortable with having him as the understudy to Coventry and I think he'll probably go on and be good elsewhere
    Can't remember but was Taylor given a squad number?
  • Sounds like the Georgian GK is signing a season loan with Bournemouth before joining Liverpool next summer.

That leaves the Cherries with five goalkeepers on the books

Mamardashvili
    Neto
    Travers
    Dennis
    Paulsen (on loan at Auckland FC)

You’d think one of Travers or Dennis will be made available for loan.
  • I think Jones' comment about Zach Mitchell is more telling than anything when it comes to Taylor: 'he’s aggressive, front-footed and really mobile. So these are people we want to take forward'. Taylor's known for putting in a tackle but I think he's not a blood and thunder type midfielder and I guess he hasn't been able to adapt to the front-footed press like Jones would want. When Edun came on against Birmingham he was flying into tackles and challenging for high balls so he's clearly trying to work the way he's being asked, you'd have to suspect Taylor hasn't been able to change his game in the same way and that's why Edun made the squad and Taylor didn't. I think it's a real shame as I was comfortable with having him as the understudy to Coventry and I think he'll probably go on and be good elsewhere
    Can't remember but was Taylor given a squad number?

yeah...Number 12...
  • Taylor can actually move the ball forwards. Did anybody see Conor's sideways run across the edge of the AFCW box that ended with a shot that Simon Church would have been proud of.  TBF it was one of our few on target. 
  • Maybe, as Man Utd’s new loan manager, Mickey Apples can do us a favour and sort us out with a season long loan deal for Radek Vitek https://youtu.be/5pn2pxFejsI?si=AZdlE5AJGpW1a1jh
  • Sounds like the Georgian GK is signing a season loan with Bournemouth before joining Liverpool next summer.

That leaves the Cherries with five goalkeepers on the books

Mamardashvili
    Neto
    Travers
    Dennis
    Paulsen (on loan at Auckland FC)

You’d think one of Travers or Dennis will be made available for loan.

I think our odds of signing Ireland international Mark Travers, who is highly highly rated at Dean Court, slim to none. Would love to be wrong on that as he would likely be one of the better keepers to ever touch this division imo.
  • Travers is an excellent keeper but I expect he'd have the pick of the championship. Someone like Swansea if they don't go back for Carl Rushworth would make a lot of sense. 
  • edited August 15
    Which keeper ' domino ' falls to us?

Cooper to Sheffield United probably wouldn't trigger anything given that apparently Adam Davies failed a medical with us. It also means the Pilgrims will be looking to get someone in.

I agree Travers would easily get a Championship gig ( maybe Plymouth?)

If say Ramsdale or Johnstone go to Southampton would that mean Joe Lumley becomes available.

Are we still looking for a clear number one or are we now just looking for someone to compete with Mannion? For me Lumley would be the latter 
  • Sponsored links:

• Richard J said:

Cooper to Sheffield United probably wouldn't trigger anything given that apparently Adam Davies failed a medical with us. It also means the Pilgrims will be looking to get someone in.

If say Ramsdale or Johnstone go to Southampton would that might mean Joe Lumley becomes available.

Are we still looking for a clear number one or are we now just looking for someone to compete with Mannion? For me Lumley would be the latter 
    God that list is pretty depressing in all honesty (probably accurate in terms of targets just depressing). In normal circumstances I would be fuming at our recruitment department for what looks like a blunder from the outside, but as has been stated many times, this has clearly been a fucking strange summer in regards to goalkeepers moving around. 

I honestly think the pool of viable candidates who would both be considered a defined number one and in a position to where we could reasonably sign them is rapidly drying out (at least English based options, nothing to say that we couldn't be a little more creative here with who we go for).
  • Richard J said:

If say Ramsdale or Johnstone go to Southampton would that mean Joe Lumley becomes available.

Still hoping for one of the Coventry keepers to fall to us. Either Collins or Wilson. Don't think there's been too much Prem Keeper movement beyond Chelsea yet to free any potential targets up. Will Dennis maybe at Bournemouth? 
  • CAFCOlly said:
    Moving Taylor on is likely more to do with the fact that we can't shift Fraser but we still need to improve the midfield/other areas. I'm sure Jones would rather shift Fraser than Taylor but there (unsurprisingly) seems to be no takers for Fraser.

More likely to be interest in Taylor which would then open up budget to strengthen the squad whilst still having Fraser on the books. 
    There are takers for Fraser but they can’t compete with the wages we pay and that’s in the Scottish Premiership 
  • Maybe, as Man Utd’s new loan manager, Mickey Apples can do us a favour and sort us out with a season long loan deal for Radek Vitek https://youtu.be/5pn2pxFejsI?si=AZdlE5AJGpW1a1jh
    Would be the first favour hes ever done us!
  • I think AMB is one of the better keepers in L1, falls down on command of box and distribution. Mannion is an upgrade. I think we merely need a better U21 keeper than shortarse 18 yo MacLorg as No 3.
  • Not sure why NJ prefers CC to TT as he signed neither.

1. TT at least three inches taller than CC (who Wiki measures at 5'10" - what?)

2.  TT is more athletic and can put in a tackle.

3. TT is the only player in the squad who has a dead ball delivery.

4. CC played 17 games last season and was never better than mediocre in any.

5. CC is not a Dobson type CDM, he is seen more of a 'quarterback'. So why are we playing hoofball?
    I would have thought hoofball is the football equivalent of what quarterbacks do. The real issue is how good the hoofs are?
  • CAFCOlly said:
    Moving Taylor on is likely more to do with the fact that we can't shift Fraser but we still need to improve the midfield/other areas. I'm sure Jones would rather shift Fraser than Taylor but there (unsurprisingly) seems to be no takers for Fraser.

More likely to be interest in Taylor which would then open up budget to strengthen the squad whilst still having Fraser on the books. 
    There are takers for Fraser but they can’t compete with the wages we pay and that’s in the Scottish Premiership 
    Sounds like the Scots have us over a barrel   - make low ball offers and then wait until the last moment when we have to get rid of a disaffected player. Given the games being played I'd be tempted to make him go to Torquay United on a loan for next to nothing.
  • Sponsored links:

• sm said:
    CAFCOlly said:

Sounds like the Scots have us over a barrel   - make low ball offers and then wait until the last moment when we have to get rid of a disaffected player. Given the games being played I'd be tempted to make him go to Torquay United on a loan for next to nothing.
    And how exactly would you make him do that ?
  • sm said:
    CAFCOlly said:

If we can loan him off anywhere while still picking up 95% of his wages, we're still £250/week better off than having him cluttering up the place - and that's without taking into account all the money saved on Irn Bru, haggis and neeps
  • edited August 15
    Is Alfie Whiteman out of our range?
    Should be available to loan. 
  • edited August 15
    I wouldn't be opposed to him but he hasn't played many first team matches apart from one  appearance for Spurs as a late sub ( similar to David Button) and around 30 games in the Swedish league.

Another one to compete with Mannion rather than being a clear number one.
  • Richard J said:
    I wouldn't be opposed to him but he hasn't played many first team matches apart from one  appearance for Spurs as a late sub ( similar to David Button) and around 30 games in the Swedish league.

Another one to compete with Mannion rather than being a clear number one.
    Been told he's not in Spurs plans. 
  • CAFCOlly said:

So, no takers for Fraser then?
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V7NlFWh7Sz8
  • edited August 15
    I think AMB is one of the better keepers in L1, falls down on command of box and distribution. Mannion is an upgrade. I think we merely need a better U21 keeper than shortarse 18 yo MacLorg as No 3.
    I have not seen Mannion make a decent save yet. He seems steady enough but not yet proven.
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!