Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Charlton Summer Transfer Rumours 2024

Comments

• I would say we need a goalkeeper, creative midfielder and a striker 
    I don't think we'll see another first choice striker join, but we still have Godden, Leaburn and hopefully Dixon to add to the four we used today so we'll have plenty of options at the very least.

Agree with the other two positions and I'd like a left sided CB too so Gillesphey has proper competition.

Hopefully Ness and Fraser move on sooner than later. Wouldn't be surprised if Edun and/or Taylor leave too. Asiimwe and Zach Mitchell's new shirt numbers 19 and 20 probably suggests they won't be loaned out.
  • Feel like a creative midfielder is the main part of the puzzle really. I get that going away from home you might not always start with one and maybe Luke Berry is that player in NJs eyes but I do wonder if we're actively looking for one once Fraser is out.
  • A 10 and a GK are the priority.

Another left sided defender too for covering purposes, unless NJ thinks Edwards can play there and Small/Edun play LWB
  • Don’t think we’re getting a creative 10. Jones rarely ever plays with one. He values pressing from the front and hard work more than someone who might create an opening 15 times a season. That’s why Anderson plays every game and Scott Fraser is on the way out.
    That also makes quite a lot of sense for why he'd employ Campbell and/or Dixon in that "10" position despite being wingers by trade. They aren't there to provide incisive passes or cross the ball, he wants them on the ball using pace and trickery to run at defenders and create chances - either for themselves by going past players or for others from set plays or error by defenders.

It's not glamorous and requires a lot of patience but it can work. Most "classic" playmaker types just don't have the physicality Jones wants, at least at our level.
  • Scoham said:
    I would say we need a goalkeeper, creative midfielder and a striker 
    I don't think we'll see another first choice striker join, but we still have Godden, Leaburn and hopefully Dixon to add to the four we used today so we'll have plenty of options at the very least.

Agree with the other two positions and I'd like a left sided CB too so Gillesphey has proper competition.

Hopefully Ness and Fraser move on sooner than later. Wouldn't be surprised if Edun and/or Taylor leave too. Asiimwe and Zach Mitchell's new shirt numbers 19 and 20 probably suggests they won't be loaned out.
    Aside from Potts potentially being signed, I think I saw that Edwards has also played as a left-sided centre back in a back three. So that’s an option with Small then covering wing-back.
  • Scoham said:

Aside from Potts potentially being signed, I think I saw that Edwards has also played as a left-sided centre back in a back three. So that’s an option with Small then covering wing-back.
    Id love to see that so we had both Edwards and Small in the side.
  • Sponsored links:

• Scoham said:

It’s an option but I think we still need to sign a proper LCB. Having a few versatile players should never be a reason to not have depth in the squad.

Edwards also had a decent goal and assist record last season which shows he has the potential to be an attacking threat and not just a solid defender.
  • Small is a very good player to leave out.

I’m sure I read that he played up front for a previous club. I wonder if Jones will try him in any other positions to allow us to play both him & Edwards.

Games like the league & pizza cup maybe ideal opportunities to see.
  • Being a pessimist I wonder if Small could be sold before the window
  • Yesterday’s performance and result will start to make more players available to Charlton. A couple more like it and Nathan should find it a lot easier to get deals done.
  • edited August 11
    lolwray said:
    Being a pessimist I wonder if Small could be sold before the window
    No 
    ...and chill everybody..🙄
  • PaddyP17 said:
    I am reliably informed we are "paying proper wages" and that a variety of other L1 players/other L1 teams think we will be right up there this season. Hopefully we can add the finishing touches accordingly.
    That's great until you try and move someone on.
  • Sponsored links:

• fenaddick said:
    Don't think Small is going anywhere, it's just about match ups. Edwards is better defensively which is important away from home to a team who have traditionally been great down the flanks. Small appears to be better going forward than Edwards so we'll see him for games where we're more on the front foot. 
    Exactly my thoughts. Despite Edwards playing well yesterday I wouldn't be surprised at all if Small starts against Orient on Saturday.
    I expect to see him on Tuesday in the cup too, doesn't fully back up what I said above but think we'll see a lot of changes from Saturday
  • I’ve said all along we need a creative midfielder who acts as the focus for our play and gets us moving forward but as the window progresses the more I think Jones doesn’t think likewise. I don’t think we’ll be getting a number 10. I have a feeling we might see Potts sign and that’ll be it. Massive responsibility for Berry when he’s selected and I’m not too sure he fits that playmaker role despite his obvious pedigree. 
  • wmcf123 said:
    lolwray said:
    having been our best player for most of Jones’ tenure , it seems odd that he’s not playing . I suspect he’s said he won’t sign the longer deal and that he will be sold if a good offer comes in .  
    Or jones decided to pick the better defender to tighten things up at the back away from home.

its very much a squad game these days and jones likes to shuffle the pack.

small will still get plenty of game time this season.
    Small was one of the few bright points of last season. Hasn’t signed a new deal and if he isn’t getting plenty of game time probably won’t. Awkward for Jones and the club because I think Small is worth money and I suspect we’re going to miss out on that.
  • wmcf123 said:
    lolwray said:
    having been our best player for most of Jones’ tenure , it seems odd that he’s not playing . I suspect he’s said he won’t sign the longer deal and that he will be sold if a good offer comes in .  
    Or jones decided to pick the better defender to tighten things up at the back away from home.

its very much a squad game these days and jones likes to shuffle the pack.

small will still get plenty of game time this season.
    Small was one of the few bright points of last season. Hasn’t signed a new deal and if he isn’t getting plenty of game time probably won’t. Awkward for Jones and the club because I think Small is worth money and I suspect we’re going to miss out on that.
    If he can’t get into a l1 team, who will sign him? The clubs supposedly watching him last season will move on to different targets
  • Small was excellent last season and should be part of NJ's plans for this season. He's quick and can pick a pass. Play him in front of Edwards might be an option in games we want to attack from the off? I would be gutted if he was sold.
  • I don't know when it is that people started becoming obsessed with a '10' but we don't play with one. The creativity will come in the high press, catching teams with our team still high up on the pitch and playing that pass out wide to an advancing wingback or forcing a mistake from defenders who are being harried to death by lunatics. Jones used to use Shinnie to do a lot of the pass before the pass work that led to goals and he was a deeper midfielder. In Coventry, Docherty and Berry we've got players who are good enough on the ball to play the right sort of passes, it's all about the work they put in to create those opportunities. If you'd like what traditionally would be called a creative 10 then cast your mind back to Fraser, Jack Payne, Fiorini, Alex Gilbey and other soft lads we've had who couldn't press an olive, then weep.
    Problem is we don’t have the ability to change things up. Change personnel definitely but there will be games, particularly at The Valley when teams do to us what we did to Wigan yesterday. What then ?  Jones I think has a plan and it’s his plan and if you don’t like it then jog on. Just my opinion but being one dimensional is short sighted. 
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!