Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Charlton Summer Transfer Rumours 2024

Comments

• sam3110 said:
    Get used to AMB and Mannion...cos that's all we are gonna end up with at this rate, at least till January's window...🙄
    There's literally so much time left in the window FFS.

You keep peddling this trope
    I'll take that as a positive then...FFS 😉
  • Could have done with name guidance 30 years ago, so that we could have pronounced Kinsella correctly! KINsella rather than kinSELLA apparently, though his daughter seems to be pronounced the second way, so maybe he's gone with the flow.
    Yep, us Brits pronounce most Irish names incorrectly tbf.
    Definitely KINsella & COSTello.
    Don’t get started on O’Mahoney lol
  • thenewbie said:
    Get used to AMB and Mannion...cos that's all we are gonna end up with at this rate, at least till January's window...🙄
    Cawley says not (in the latest podcast). I have to presume he's based that on something he's heard
    Finger crossed then that all will be good...🤞🤞
  • edited August 9
    fenaddick said:
    fenaddick said:
    On the SLP pod Cawley confirms we had interest in Jensen and Sinsalo
    and that he thinks we'll get a GK in before the end of the window
    Id fucking hope so, I actually can't think of a time where we have gone this late into the window without settled keepers. Traditionally a position we do well in! 
    2018/19: Jed Steer signed 8th August

2011/12: Ben Hamer signed 1st August

We are later than both of those now but the last two times we’ve been promoted out of this league, the presumed first choice goalkeeper wasn’t signed until the eve of the season was upon us.
  • Could have done with name guidance 30 years ago, so that we could have pronounced Kinsella correctly! KINsella rather than kinSELLA apparently, though his daughter seems to be pronounced the second way, so maybe he's gone with the flow.
    I've heard KIN SLA
  • I’m sure we will get a decent keeper in
  • sam3110 said:
    There's literally so much time left in the window FFS.

You keep peddling this trope
    I have to admit that I read the final word as "tripe" rather than "trope", but then thought there wouldn't be much difference between the message and its force.
    I thought it was Abbott and Costello...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jIGRgmxRfiE
  • Oggy Red said:
    I'm getting the impression from what they write, there's quite a few posters who still think you pick your strongest team to start the game; the the also-rans and kids to make up the numbers on the bench. 

That way, the quality of the team declined as subs came on. 

It's a full-on Matchday 18 involvement these days...... and the 5 subs likely to come on need to be of the same quality as the starting XI.

The team that finishes the game needs to be as strong as the starting XI. 

Agree totally, seems managers call them finishers these days rather than subs, which backs up your comment
  • Sponsored links:

• Chelsea set to sign 19 y/o GK Mike Penders from Gent, making it a total of eight goalkeepers with senior appearances on their books.
    8 keepers at the club plus 2 out on loan already (1 in League One and 1 in League 2). Madness 
  • Chelsea set to sign 19 y/o GK Mike Penders from Gent, making it a total of eight goalkeepers with senior appearances on their books.
    8 keepers at the club plus 2 out on loan already (1 in League One and 1 in League 2). Madness 
    Farcical.☹️
  • I once saw Scott Fraser shoulder-barge a big, muscular forward of the ball.

There weren't many witnesses as it took place away at Reading in a Bristol Street Motors tie.

Strange but true.
    Warrants a T-shirt. "I saw Fraser make a tackle" along the lines of the fabled Leaburn shirts.
    I bet there are some others on here who remember Liam Payne scoring a towering header at the back post: it happened right in front of the covered end.

Now that's worth a t-shirt! 😁
    My wife's Irish cousins call themselves KinSELLA, so no wonder there is confusion.
    Farcical.☹️
    What’s farcical is that they can afford that model and ultimately make money on it. Far too much money sloshing around that they can spunk what’s effectively millions in player acquisitions that they are in full knowledge will never get near the first team squad. 
  • I’m not sure I fully support all this slagging off AMB/Isted even with the accompanied stats of goals conceded. What about how many shots they saved and how many goals conceded were defensive errors or unstoppable?

I’m hoping that the our new defence will give the opposition less scoring chances and less errors in their duties.

If there is a vast improvement then I could play in goal and the stats would show how brilliant I was and I’ll get a call up from Carsley to play in the over 60’s walk football 🤓
  • Sponsored links:

• Solidgone said:
    I’m not sure I fully support all this slagging off AMB/Isted even with the accompanied stats of goals conceded. What about how many shots they saved and how many goals conceded were defensive errors or unstoppable?

I’m hoping that the our new defence will give the opposition less scoring chances and less errors in their duties.

If there is a vast improvement then I could play in goal and the stats would show how brilliant I was and I’ll get a call up from Carsley to play in the over 60’s walk football 🤓
    Dream on sunshine ;)
  • fenaddick said:
    fenaddick said:
    Id fucking hope so, I actually can't think of a time where we have gone this late into the window without settled keepers. Traditionally a position we do well in! 

We are later than both of those now but the last two times we’ve been promoted out of this league, the presumed first choice goalkeeper wasn’t signed until the eve of the season was upon us.
    A bit disingenuous regarding Steer. How many league games did Steer play that season. Pretty sure Phillips played virtually all of them. In the case of this season we don't have a 'keeper that the manager rates as his No1.
  • fenaddick said:
    fenaddick said:

A bit disingenuous regarding Steer. How many league games did Steer play that season. Pretty sure Phillips played virtually all of them. In the case of this season we don't have a 'keeper that the manager rates as his No1.
    Last point here is key. Jones had last season and this pre season to look at AMB and Isted and has been completely honest in letting everyone know he wants a new number one. Not only that. He’s brought in Mannion who will occupy the number two slot. Couldn’t be more obvious that Jones really doesn’t rate either of our two GK’s we had last season. 
    My wife's Irish cousins call themselves KinSELLA, so no wonder there is confusion.
    Yep, it can depend where in Ireland you are.
    Saoirse is a case in point. My Cavan family pronounce it slightly different to my neighbours here in Cork.
    It should be Sear-sha.
    An accent thing.
  • fenaddick said:
    fenaddick said:

Played 19 league games between August and December before being recalled at start of the January window. If he hadn't been recalled I doubt Phillips would have played much.
    Yep it was Steer’s replacement (Maxwell?) who didn’t play.

We also didn’t have a proper number 10 despite playing a diamond all season. We had Jamie Ward on loan who never nailed down that spot, signed Williams in January who didn’t score and barely got an assist all season who rotated a bit. Aribo sometimes played there and no doubt others at times who I’ve forgotten.

Shows you don’t need everything to go perfectly to have a good season.
  • Personally still think AMB will end up a decent keeper at this level.
    I totally agree. AMB made some mistakes coming out when he should have stayed and his distrib
  • Just to add a comment or two about Teddy Bishop, now he has safely found a club.

Without question, a fully fit Teddy Bishop is a Championship player. He had a series of injuries at Ipswich which meant he found his way to Lincoln - without those injuries, Lincoln would not have been able to sign a player of that quality. However, the injuries continued to come, and he never seemed fully fit. When he was fit and playing well, he was very good, but unfortunately that was a rarity.

He ended his Lincoln career as the most substituted player in the club's history (59 times from 79 starts). He started and completed just 9 games in the last two seasons (2 in 2022-23, 7 in 23-24), and sadly that is a luxury Lincoln cannot afford.

If Colchester can get him fit, he will tear League Two to shreds and possibly earn a move back up the divisions. And therein lies the rub with Teddy: if.
    And sadly a luxury that we cannot afford either.
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!