Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Charlton Summer Transfer Rumours 2024

Comments

• I know it's bad stats but just showing that potentially AMB was the worse of the two keepers we had last season. 

AMB played 25 games, conceded 41 goals with 2 clean sheets. 

Isted played 21 games, conceded 24 goals with 3 clean sheets. 

Though it does show that AMB was obviously starting keeper for our Appleton era, whereas Isted played during Jones' management. 
    5 clean sheets in total last season, no wonder I was on the point of packing it in, totally unacceptable.

Here’s hoping for a lot lot more this season.
  • First season since 2007/08 we have numerous front line options!
    I hope they do better than that lot did ! 
  • What people forget about AMB is for a keeper, he is still at an age where he can make jumps. There is no guarantee, but I think some people write him off a bit too easily.
    Last season I posted that watching Charlton since 1967, I was struggling to remember any goalkeeper who was worse than AMB and Istead.
    The Covered End used to sing:

"Bellotti's not Bonnetti, we can tell, tell, tell ...." 🎶

One for long serving fans 😎

• fenaddick said:
    fenaddick said:
    On the SLP pod Cawley confirms we had interest in Jensen and Sinsalo
    and that he thinks we'll get a GK in before the end of the window
    Id fucking hope so, I actually can't think of a time where we have gone this late into the window without settled keepers. Traditionally a position we do well in! 
  • Sponsored links:

• What people forget about AMB is for a keeper, he is still at an age where he can make jumps. There is no guarantee, but I think some people write him off a bit too easily.
    Last season I posted that watching Charlton since 1967, I was struggling to remember any goalkeeper who was worse than AMB and Istead.

Istead was terrible, but in my opinion he was still better than AMB.

If we are going with Mannion and AMB, we need to hope and pray that Mannion stays fit and injury free, because I wouldn’t want to see AMB anywhere near the first team.
     I give you Yohann Thuram-Ulien
    Ross Wormer, John Sullivan, Connor Cough. We gave had ample keepers in the last 15 years worse than Ash (before anyone suggests as such, I am not saying Ash is even close to perfection, just less of a dead rudder as many seem to be suggesting) 

If we are going with Mannion and AMB, we need to hope and pray that Mannion stays fit and injury free, because I wouldn’t want to see AMB anywhere near the first team.
    Ross Wormer, John Sullivan, Connor Cough. We gave had ample keepers in the last 15 years worse than Ash (before anyone suggests as such, I am not saying Ash is even close to perfection, just less of a dead rudder as many seem to be suggesting) 
    Blimey I don't even remember Wormer (though the name rings a bell) or Gough  :# Old age  :(

Worner and Gough  ;) 

All 3 were clearly back up keepers though, whereas Isted and AMB were both joint No 1s.
  • First season since 2007/08 we have numerous front line options!
    And must be even longer to have  3 strikers who came from the youth team, if that has even happened before.
  • Sponsored links:

• Personally still think AMB will end up a decent keeper at this level.
    I totally agree. AMB made some mistakes coming out when he should have stayed and his distribution can be iffy but I don’t ever remember him letting in shots that he should have saved. Isted basically let everything in that was aimed at him. 
    I think the criticism is way over the top considering how crap the team in front of him were
    I remember the Port Vale away game where PV had 38 shots on goal, that’s not the goalie’s fault !
     How on earth can a team allow that kind of pressure. He saved a few worldies in that game. 
    I think the mask has hindered his game . It would be better if he could ditch it. 
  • Really can't see us getting a keeper of any worth in now. Who's going to let a decent keeper leave this late in the piece?

It's why when most clubs start a rebuild they get the keeper they want in at the start. It's usually one of the first signings they make.
     The fact we haven't been able to attract one is a bit of a concern
    I think we’ll still see movement. Because of the euros, copa America and Olympics, prem clubs are a bit behind. We’ve likely missed out on permanents but plenty of loan options IMO. 
  • Oggy Red said:
    I'm getting the impression from what they write, there's quite a few posters who still think you pick your strongest team to start the game; the the also-rans and kids to make up the numbers on the bench. 

That way, the quality of the team declined as subs came on. 

It's a full-on Matchday 18 involvement these days...... and the 5 subs likely to come on need to be of the same quality as the starting XI.

The team that finishes the game needs to be as strong as the starting XI. 

True. And quite apart from which, Jones loves a bit of rotation and swapping around, to keep the general energy level up and to tweak the shape/tactics a bit.

The 1st 11 won't necessarily be his "favourite" players as much as what he sees as the best on any given day.

Worner and Gough  ;) 

All 3 were clearly back up keepers though, whereas Isted and AMB were both joint No 1s.
    With 12 players on the pitch and two keepers, we should have done far better last season. 
  • fenaddick said:
    fenaddick said:
    On the SLP pod Cawley confirms we had interest in Jensen and Sinsalo
    and that he thinks we'll get a GK in before the end of the window
    Id fucking hope so, I actually can't think of a time where we have gone this late into the window without settled keepers. Traditionally a position we do well in! 
    We signed GKs in August in our last two promotion seasons.
  • Let's hope, whoever the keeper is, that he will get a lot more help and cover from the defensive unit. 
  • Get used to AMB and Mannion...cos that's all we are gonna end up with at this rate, at least till January's window...🙄
    Cawley says not (in the latest podcast). I have to presume he's based that on something he's heard
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!