Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Charlton Summer Transfer Rumours 2024

Comments

• Marosi hasn't always enjoyed performing in front of The Covered End.
  • Really can't see us getting a keeper of any worth in now. Who's going to let a decent keeper leave this late in the piece?

It's why when most clubs start a rebuild they get the keeper they want in at the start. It's usually one of the first signings they make.
     The fact we haven't been able to attract one is a bit of a concern
    Which absolutely would have been the case for us if things had gone to plan. It's not like anyone (fan or club) looked at Isted and AMB and thought "yep that'll do nicely." We've been pursuing an experienced, quality GK all summer.

It's definitely getting a bit concerning that we still haven't succeeded but to play Devil's Advocate that might be because of how high we've been aiming in that regard.
  • arny23394 said:
    Carter said:
    My take is Hylton is one of Nathan Jones' old mates and I believe he is doing him a favour by giving him game time. He would still score goals in league 2 and probably league 1 but I'd be very surprised if we gave him any sort of contract 

He played 32 times for Northampton over the last two seasons scoring 0. 

Bodes well.  This jobs for the boys tendency in NJ is not his best attribute 
  • What people forget about AMB is for a keeper, he is still at an age where he can make jumps. There is no guarantee, but I think some people write him off a bit too easily.
    Well I would hope he could jump, being a keeper and all
  • wmcf123 said:
    CafcSCP said:
    fenaddick said:
    DiscoCAFC said:
    With Bromley in League Two now surely we should think about sending 1 or 2 players on loan to them as logistics wise it will suit everybody.
    Only really Asiimwe would suit that though. The other young players are either too good for L2/not ready for L2. Maybe AMB but Jones clearly likes having 3 senior keepers around
    Kanu would suit them and turn him into a serious 1st team prospect.
    Not unless we are buying another striker . We cannot afford to let him go . 
    How many strikers do we need? We’ve already got six!
  • wmcf123 said:
    CafcSCP said:
    fenaddick said:
    DiscoCAFC said:
    With Bromley in League Two now surely we should think about sending 1 or 2 players on loan to them as logistics wise it will suit everybody.
    Only really Asiimwe would suit that though. The other young players are either too good for L2/not ready for L2. Maybe AMB but Jones clearly likes having 3 senior keepers around
    And are hopefully adding Dixon to that.
  • wmcf123 said:
    CafcSCP said:
    fenaddick said:
    DiscoCAFC said:
    If we were to let Kanu go, then we’d need another , given Godden is 33, Leaburn and Aneke are often injured , Tyreece is totally unproven , albeit electric in pre season and Ahadme (and Kanu) have had one season each in first team squads.  
  • cfgs said:
    Marosi hasn't always enjoyed performing in front of The Covered End.
    He played for Doncaster in the play off semi final and also for Shrewsbury when the crowd were chanting 'he's gonna cry in a minute'. 
  • Sponsored links:

• I once saw Scott Fraser shoulder-barge a big, muscular forward of the ball.

There weren't many witnesses as it took place away at Reading in a Bristol Street Motors tie.

Strange but true.
    Wow! Must have been impressive to get your attention Mr Viking!! 😉
  • Davo55 said:
    Scoham said:
    Am I right in seeing Stephen humphreys is a free agent still after leaving Wigan? Surely worth a kermorgant style punt?
    We don’t have room for another striker with Dixon and possibly Hylton joining the 6 we already have (including Campbell).
    Can't help thinking that Hylton would be a waste of a squad place. We are in much greater need of a creative, attacking midfielder if there's a squad place and enough budget going.
    Hylton, It's been years since we had a really nasty guy to play for us that the other 23 clubs absolutely hate. 

Killer obviously, McKenzie, Melrose, Costa, Mills pre-xmas,  Bowyer? Any more?

Pratley
  • What people forget about AMB is for a keeper, he is still at an age where he can make jumps. There is no guarantee, but I think some people write him off a bit too easily.
    Last season I posted that watching Charlton since 1967, I was struggling to remember any goalkeeper who was worse than AMB and Istead.

Istead was terrible, but in my opinion he was still better than AMB.

If we are going with Mannion and AMB, we need to hope and pray that Mannion stays fit and injury free, because I wouldn’t want to see AMB anywhere near the first team.
    This 100%
    Last season I posted that watching Charlton since 1967, I was struggling to remember any goalkeeper who was worse than AMB and Istead.

If we are going with Mannion and AMB, we need to hope and pray that Mannion stays fit and injury free, because I wouldn’t want to see AMB anywhere near the first team.
    Nathan talked about AMB being in a better place - I wonder if he had completely lost his confidence but may have rediscovered it . He wasn’t as dreadful the year before . I agree - Isted and him were appalling , as was big Craig before that.  

Thuram?
    Imagine he's talking about the goalkeeper team altogether. We had Hamer for all but 4 of the games that season. 

Saying that Thuram's 1 clean sheet in 4 games played is probably a better ratio than we managed last season...
  • edited August 9
    I know it's bad stats but just showing that potentially AMB was the worse of the two keepers we had last season. 

AMB played 25 games, conceded 41 goals with 2 clean sheets. 

Isted played 21 games, conceded 24 goals with 3 clean sheets. 

Though it does show that AMB was obviously starting keeper for our Appleton era, whereas Isted played during Jones' management. 
  • Sponsored links:

• edited August 9
    CafcSCP said:
    fenaddick said:
    DiscoCAFC said:
    Don’t you think Kanu is a serious first team prospect at Charlton already? Or failing that a serious member of a match day squad?
    I get he needs consistent experience, but if we weren’t so reluctant to give ‘fringe’  first team squad members game time with the U21’s then there would be every chance of keeping Kanu fresh and ready.
  • Based on last season, I'd suggest a loan would do Kanu well, he is still a great young prospect.

He has spent the summer with Jones, continued to learn a set style of play, and that may be what he needed to take that next step forward in our squad. Maybe Jones feels a loan isn't needed from what he's seen of Kanu.

I am excited to see how he gets on. 
  • Has TC played more minutes in the forward role than Kanu?
    He could definitely develop into a better, more well-rounded goalkeeper. But he isn’t going to do that sat on his arse here all season. We need to bring in a number 1 and find AMB a loan 
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!