Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Charlton Summer Transfer Rumours 2024

Comments

• Ferryman said:
    No idea how reliable this is but would be a good addition

Doesn't feel like a No.1
    Why not? Collins has a lot of Championship experience. 28 games last season for a team that finished 9th. 

Think either of the Coventry keepers would be decent signings. They’ve signed one so seems certain one of Collins or Wilson will move on, seemingly the former. 

He certainly has a good pedigree, but his appearance stats (and the deep mental scarring I've suffered from the last several seasons) make me wonder if he has injury issues.
  • edited August 8
  • Wow, so we've missed out on Teddy Bishop to bloody Colchester?! Methven has a lot to answer for! :@ 
    Seriously? 
  • Leuth said:
    Wow, so we've missed out on Teddy Bishop to bloody Colchester?! Methven has a lot to answer for! :@ 
    Seriously? 
    I think you've been whooshed.  :D
  • Redhenry said:
    Scoham said:
    I like the sound of their captain McCowan

Standout player for Dundee, quite small but everywhere on the pitch would play the 10 role very well.
    I watched the Dundee derby on Sunday and they were talking this guy up. Have to say I thought he was okay, but not brilliant until he scored the penalty then he found his rhythm and was the best player in the pitch. I was wondering why Dundee would be linked to Fraser at all as he doesn't seem their type of player. They seemed like a team built on 100% effort and commitment - not Fraser's game! I like their centre forward Murray. Thought he was a proper handful.
  • DoGillis said:
    Ferryman said:
    No idea how reliable this is but would be a good addition

Doesn't feel like a No.1
    Why not? Collins has a lot of Championship experience. 28 games last season for a team that finished 9th. 

Think either of the Coventry keepers would be decent signings. They’ve signed one so seems certain one of Collins or Wilson will move on, seemingly the former. 

He certainly has a good pedigree, but his appearance stats (and the deep mental scarring I've suffered from the last several seasons) make me wonder if he has injury issues.
    Don’t think so, just that he started the season as number 2. I believe he was available for most of the season.

i know he got a bad facial injury in 22/23 which explains a few missed games and that happens. Not injury prone by any stretch, just not always been first choice at his club. 
  • YTS1978 said:
    Redhenry said:
    Scoham said:
    I like the sound of their captain McCowan

Standout player for Dundee, quite small but everywhere on the pitch would play the 10 role very well.
    I watched the Dundee derby on Sunday and they were talking this guy up. Have to say I thought he was okay, but not brilliant until he scored the penalty then he found his rhythm and was the best player in the pitch. I was wondering why Dundee would be linked to Fraser at all as he doesn't seem their type of player. They seemed like a team built on 100% effort and commitment - not Fraser's game! I like their centre forward Murray. Thought he was a proper handful.
    Murrays mint.
  • ButtleJR said:
    New Keeper?
  • ButtleJR said:
    New Keeper?

Spot on.
  • Sponsored links:

• Am I right in seeing Stephen humphreys is a free agent still after leaving Wigan? Surely worth a kermorgant style punt?
  • Scoham said:
    Am I right in seeing Stephen humphreys is a free agent still after leaving Wigan? Surely worth a kermorgant style punt?
    We don’t have room for another striker with Dixon and possibly Hylton joining the 6 we already have (including Campbell).
    Can't help thinking that Hylton would be a waste of a squad place. We are in much greater need of a creative, attacking midfielder if there's a squad place and enough budget going.
  • Davo55 said:
    Scoham said:
    Am I right in seeing Stephen humphreys is a free agent still after leaving Wigan? Surely worth a kermorgant style punt?
    We don’t have room for another striker with Dixon and possibly Hylton joining the 6 we already have (including Campbell).
    Can't help thinking that Hylton would be a waste of a squad place. We are in much greater need of a creative, attacking midfielder if there's a squad place and enough budget going.
    Whos gonna room with Nath on away games though? 
  • Davo55 said:
    Scoham said:
    Although if Ahadme should miss several games with injury, who else would play his physical rough'em up and create space role?
    Especially if Chuks breaks down.

Godden, Kanu, Leaburn, Campbell? Not really their game. 

Think back to how lacking we were last season, without a physical presence to lead the line.
    Maybe NJ doesn't want to revisit that - and thinks Hylton could be a cheap emergency option, especially combined with a coaching role.

It would enable NJ to keep the gameplan intact.

• edited August 8
    Oggy Red said:
    Davo55 said:
    Scoham said:
    Although if Ahadme should miss several games with injury, who else would play his physical rough'em up and create space role?

Think back to how lacking we were last season, without a physical presence to lead the line.
    Maybe NJ doesn't want to revisit that - and thinks Hylton could be a cheap emergency option, especially combined with a coaching role.

We won games last season with Kanu and May up front. We just played it differently with balls to chase into the channels to get us up the pitch. I think Godden will be fine with balls into feet also  

I’m not as concerned about it as I have been in previous season, Jones is a good enough manager to win games without a big striker. Holden, Appleton, Garner and Jackson were not. 

Ahadme, Leaburn and Aneke should be enough anyway, and even if all 3 were injured I’d rather have 2 of Godden, Campbell and Kanu up front instead of Hylton, he just isn’t a league 1 quality footballer 
  • Weird that they would make Ness and Fraser do the name video, but then bin them off for some arbitrary number one.
  • Weird that they would make Ness and Fraser do the name video, but then bin them off for some arbitrary number one.
    Good spot, I hadn't noticed Ness wasn't on the list.
  • Sponsored links:

• fenaddick said:
    No No 1 on the squad numbers, basically confirms that we’re still looking for someone (not new I know) https://www.charltonafc.com/news/squad-numbers-confirmed-202425-season
    I know it doesn't really matter, but I don't like a centre back with 3, a midfielder with 10, and a striker with 11.
    Scott Fraser didn't look happy at all in that name video  
  • NabySarr said:
    Oggy Red said:
    Davo55 said:
    Scoham said:

We won games last season with Kanu and May up front. We just played it differently with balls to chase into the channels to get us up the pitch. I think Godden will be fine with balls into feet also  

I’m not as concerned about it as I have been in previous season, Jones is a good enough manager to win games without a big striker. Holden, Appleton, Garner and Jackson were not. 

Ahadme, Leaburn and Aneke should be enough anyway, and even if all 3 were injured I’d rather have 2 of Godden, Campbell and Kanu up front instead of Hylton, he just isn’t a league 1 quality footballer 
    I believe we won only 4 games out of 16 under NJ last season.
    And that with the Division's highest goalscorer.

Playing 2 x 'second strikers' together I doubt he'll want to go back to.
    For NJ, it doesn't work.

I'm only trying to look into NJ's head and pose the question.
    He wants the team to play a certain way, where each player knows their job. No square pegs in round holes.

Perhaps he's thinking a replacement for any player needs to be like-for-like, without changing the system/gameplan?
    In the case of Ahadme missing a sequence of games, then logically Chuks steps in - but even Chuks knows, you can't rely on that!

And you still need another physical forward on the bench, because Chuks doesn't do 90 minutes anyhow.
    You'll never going to attract a decent quality player content to sit much of the season on the bench or not even make the Matchday18.

So the manager needs an insurance policy, a player who wouldn't normally be needed, but could step in an emergency.
    Hylton doesn't need to be a quality footballer. He doesn't need to be a free-scoring striker. He just needs to be someone who steps in an injury crisis to do a basic job, to keep the gameplan and team shape. NJ knows what Hylton can do and can't do.

All through the pre-season Hylton has been called on for short cameo roles in games.
    Make of that what you will :)

• Scoham said:
    Oggy Red said:
    NabySarr said:
    Oggy Red said:
    Davo55 said:
    Scoham said:

For NJ, it doesn't work.

He wants the team to play a certain way, where each player knows their job. No square pegs in round holes.

Perhaps he's thinking a replacement for any player needs to be like-for-like, without changing the system/gameplan?
    In the case of Ahadme missing a sequence of games, then logically Chuks steps in - but even Chuks knows, you can't rely on that!

And you still need another physical forward on the bench, because Chuks doesn't do 90 minutes anyhow.
    You'll never going to attract a decent quality player content to sit much of the season on the bench or not even make the Matchday18.

So the manager needs an insurance policy, a player who wouldn't normally be needed, but could step in an emergency.
    Hylton doesn't need to be a quality footballer. He doesn't need to be a free-scoring striker. He just needs to be someone who steps in an injury crisis to do a basic job, to keep the gameplan and team shape. NJ knows what Hylton can do and can't do.

All through the pre-season Hylton has been called on for short cameo roles in games.

I think there’s big question marks over Hylton given he only made 4 league appearances for Northampton last season. It feels a bit like when Powell brought Euell in, good experience on paper but when he got on the pitch he wasn’t really up to the standard as the season went on various players joined and moved ahead of him. If Hylton was still capable surely Northampton would have got a lot more out of him.

Although Godden isn’t a big target man it’s been said he can hold up the ball and win headers. Kanu’s improved that side of his game and the experience of having to play that role last season can only help him. It should mean even without any of the three big strikers on the pitch we’re not completely unable to challenge CBs and keep the ball up that end of the pitch. 
    Sure, @Scoham. I wouldn't argue with any of that. The Euell example is a good one, certainly the ageing Jase was no longer the player we had remembered from his first spell here. 

If Hylton does sign, he would only ever be an emergency stop gap. We'll find out soon enough.

• Oggy Red said:
    Davo55 said:
    Scoham said:

Fair point Oggy, but I think Miles Leaburn could take that role when he's fit. He's certainly big and strong enough. Even if not, Hilton would be (for me) the one signing which is highly questionable for a team aiming at least for top 6.
  • Scoham said:
    Oggy Red said:
    NabySarr said:
    Oggy Red said:
    Davo55 said:
    Scoham said:

For NJ, it doesn't work.

I think there’s big question marks over Hylton given he only made 4 league appearances for Northampton last season. It feels a bit like when Powell brought Euell in, good experience on paper but when he got on the pitch he wasn’t really up to the standard as the season went on various players joined and moved ahead of him. If Hylton was still capable surely Northampton would have got a lot more out of him.

Although Godden isn’t a big target man it’s been said he can hold up the ball and win headers. Kanu’s improved that side of his game and the experience of having to play that role last season can only help him. It should mean even without any of the three big strikers on the pitch we’re not completely unable to challenge CBs and keep the ball up that end of the pitch. 
    Don't know much about Hylton, but the Euell example a weird one to choose as we won the league with 101 points that year, and he was explicitly brought into the group for his experience rather than as someone who was going to be playing a lot
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!