Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Charlton Summer Transfer Rumours 2024

Comments

• Weird that they would make Ness and Fraser do the name video, but then bin them off for some arbitrary number one.
    I think it’s a bit harsh on Ness not to give him a number .  Not fussed about the other guy .  
  • Davo55 said:
    Scoham said:
    Am I right in seeing Stephen humphreys is a free agent still after leaving Wigan? Surely worth a kermorgant style punt?
    We don’t have room for another striker with Dixon and possibly Hylton joining the 6 we already have (including Campbell).
    Can't help thinking that Hylton would be a waste of a squad place. We are in much greater need of a creative, attacking midfielder if there's a squad place and enough budget going.
    Hylton, It's been years since we had a really nasty guy to play for us that the other 23 clubs absolutely hate. 

Killer obviously, McKenzie, Melrose, Costa, Mills pre-xmas,  Bowyer? Any more?

• I love watching and talking about all things Charlton but I draw the line on watching a group of players telling me how to pronounce their name. Before anyone asks. Yes I did.
    Couldn't agree more ShootersHillGuru...... SsshhhhoooooootttttteeeeerrrrsssssHhhhiiillllllGgggguuuurrrruuuu
  • edited August 8
    Any goal keeper news ?
  • Davo55 said:
    Scoham said:
    Am I right in seeing Stephen humphreys is a free agent still after leaving Wigan? Surely worth a kermorgant style punt?
    We don’t have room for another striker with Dixon and possibly Hylton joining the 6 we already have (including Campbell).
    Can't help thinking that Hylton would be a waste of a squad place. We are in much greater need of a creative, attacking midfielder if there's a squad place and enough budget going.
    Hylton, It's been years since we had a really nasty guy to play for us that the other 23 clubs absolutely hate. 

Dennis Rhommedahl
    …in the last minute 👌
  • Perhaps we might see a short-term deal for Hylton to provide a bit of extra cover while Leaburn finishes his rehabilitation.
    Exactly my point, Exiled.

If Hylton should sign, surely he'll be here primarily for a coaching role but capable of playing from the bench occasionally as emergency cover from the bench in the short term. Just as insurance to keep the team shape and game plan intact.

Otherwise why would he still be here and involved in all the pre-season friendlies?

2+2 = 5 :)

• Davo55 said:
    Scoham said:

Taylor and May had few fans elsewhere. It's usually a striker 
  • Scoham said:
    Oggy Red said:
    NabySarr said:
    Oggy Red said:
    Davo55 said:
    Scoham said:
    Although if Ahadme should miss several games with injury, who else would play his physical rough'em up and create space role?
    Especially if Chuks breaks down.

Godden, Kanu, Leaburn, Campbell? Not really their game. 

Think back to how lacking we were last season, without a physical presence to lead the line.
    Maybe NJ doesn't want to revisit that - and thinks Hylton could be a cheap emergency option, especially combined with a coaching role.

It would enable NJ to keep the gameplan intact.

We won games last season with Kanu and May up front. We just played it differently with balls to chase into the channels to get us up the pitch. I think Godden will be fine with balls into feet also  

I’m not as concerned about it as I have been in previous season, Jones is a good enough manager to win games without a big striker. Holden, Appleton, Garner and Jackson were not. 

Ahadme, Leaburn and Aneke should be enough anyway, and even if all 3 were injured I’d rather have 2 of Godden, Campbell and Kanu up front instead of Hylton, he just isn’t a league 1 quality footballer 
    I believe we won only 4 games out of 16 under NJ last season.
    And that with the Division's highest goalscorer.

Playing 2 x 'second strikers' together I doubt he'll want to go back to.
    For NJ, it doesn't work.

I'm only trying to look into NJ's head and pose the question.
    He wants the team to play a certain way, where each player knows their job. No square pegs in round holes.

Perhaps he's thinking a replacement for any player needs to be like-for-like, without changing the system/gameplan?
    In the case of Ahadme missing a sequence of games, then logically Chuks steps in - but even Chuks knows, you can't rely on that!

And you still need another physical forward on the bench, because Chuks doesn't do 90 minutes anyhow.
    You'll never going to attract a decent quality player content to sit much of the season on the bench or not even make the Matchday18.

So the manager needs an insurance policy, a player who wouldn't normally be needed, but could step in an emergency.
    Hylton doesn't need to be a quality footballer. He doesn't need to be a free-scoring striker. He just needs to be someone who steps in an injury crisis to do a basic job, to keep the gameplan and team shape. NJ knows what Hylton can do and can't do.

All through the pre-season Hylton has been called on for short cameo roles in games.
    Make of that what you will :)

I think there’s big question marks over Hylton given he only made 4 league appearances for Northampton last season. It feels a bit like when Powell brought Euell in, good experience on paper but when he got on the pitch he wasn’t really up to the standard as the season went on various players joined and moved ahead of him. If Hylton was still capable surely Northampton would have got a lot more out of him.

Although Godden isn’t a big target man it’s been said he can hold up the ball and win headers. Kanu’s improved that side of his game and the experience of having to play that role last season can only help him. It should mean even without any of the three big strikers on the pitch we’re not completely unable to challenge CBs and keep the ball up that end of the pitch. 
    Don't know much about Hylton, but the Euell example a weird one to choose as we won the league with 101 points that year, and he was explicitly brought into the group for his experience rather than as someone who was going to be playing a lot
    I think it’s a good comparison, Hylton would be signed for the same reason. In the last 2 years he was at Northampton and started 6 league games (plus 24 league sub apps), and the first of those seasons was in L2.
  • Sponsored links:

• wmcf123 said:
    Weird that they would make Ness and Fraser do the name video, but then bin them off for some arbitrary number one.
    I think it’s a bit harsh on Ness not to give him a number .  Not fussed about the other guy .  
    Not really. It's pretty clear that neither are really part of the plan any more, it's hardly likely to have come as much of a shock. Giving him a number and then binning him off would probably be worse really.
  • Any news on Dixon. Wasn’t his medical yesterday ?
  • I don't expect Dixon to be officially announced until the work permit is all agreed. 
  • Davo55 said:
    Scoham said:

Thatcher? Arguably not just the other clubs. 
  • Oggy Red said:
    Perhaps we might see a short-term deal for Hylton to provide a bit of extra cover while Leaburn finishes his rehabilitation.
    Exactly my point, Exiled.

If Hylton should sign, surely he'll be here primarily for a coaching role but capable of playing from the bench occasionally as emergency cover from the bench in the short term. Just as insurance to keep the team shape and game plan intact.

Otherwise why would he still be here and involved in all the pre-season friendlies?

2+2 = 5 :)

Think the idea is Hylton will probably be a player coach, so won't count towards our playing staff financials. Derby did the same with Wayne Rooney and that was how they managed to pay him his squillions. We would have an experienced body to step in in the event of an injury crisis, as well as a good role model to help the development of our young strikers. 

This is something that we probably should've done with Jason Pearce... 
  • With Hull just signing a new first team keeper - i wonder if it frees up Thimothee Lo-Tutala who had a really great run in the all conquering Doncaster team second half of last season - has a very good pedigree (Spurs, France Youth teams)

https://www.yorkshirepost.co.uk/sport/football/hull-city-doncaster-rovers-or-a-loan-elsewhere-thimothee-lo-tutala-appears-to-have-decided-where-his-immediate-future-lies-4630589

• Sponsored links:

• edited August 8
  • DiscoCAFC said:
    With Bromley in League Two now surely we should think about sending 1 or 2 players on loan to them as logistics wise it will suit everybody.
    Only really Asiimwe would suit that though. The other young players are either too good for L2/not ready for L2. Maybe AMB but Jones clearly likes having 3 senior keepers around
  • fenaddick said:
    DiscoCAFC said:
    With Bromley in League Two now surely we should think about sending 1 or 2 players on loan to them as logistics wise it will suit everybody.
    Only really Asiimwe would suit that though. The other young players are either too good for L2/not ready for L2. Maybe AMB but Jones clearly likes having 3 senior keepers around
    Kanu would suit them and turn him into a serious 1st team prospect.
  • My take is Hylton is one of Nathan Jones' old mates and I believe he is doing him a favour by giving him game time. He would still score goals in league 2 and probably league 1 but I'd be very surprised if we gave him any sort of contract 

• Davo55 said:
    Scoham said:

Jorge Costa…..you must be joking.
    I never saw him being nasty…..tough and ruthless yes but all in all he would play a honest clean game….of the highest class too I may add.
    In my time I’ve seen some great centre halves wearing an Addick shirt but he was without doubt my all time favourite.
    Read the game so well and organised the back line like no other I’ve ever seen…..made Jonathan Fortune into one hell of a player during their time together.
    Costa used to regularly give a forward a little knee to the back of the thigh to let him know who was boss.
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!