Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Charlton Summer Transfer Rumours 2024

Comments

• We may just have to get used to the fact that our GK position will be filled with AMB and Will Mannion...ok...🙄
  • Chunes said:
    I never understand the vitriol towards a player for doing exactly what’s best for him and his family’s future security. Why should Fraser cut and run ? If I was him I’d do exactly what he’s doing. Sit it out and see if the club offer to pay a good percentage of his salary, pay him off or a combination of either. He’s a professional footballer selling his talent to the highest bidder. He’s not a Charlton fan, he’s an employee. It would be great for both parties if it gets satisfactorily resolved but if not I don’t see either club or player at fault. 
    I haven't seen any vitriol but I think I can help explain it... Here's my list of footballing priorities:

1) Charlton
    (Then everything else)
    4247) Scott Fraser

As you can see, he's quite low down. Yes, I can see the situation from his side, but should I care? Should I care that he make an extra 2-3k while doing nothing to earn it? Because I don't. I care a lot more that he goes and we bring in a quality player with his salary. Because that could be the difference between getting out of this league or staying in it. 

Had he been a good player for us, I think I'd have a lot more sympathy. 
    I very much doubt that Scott Fraser or Scott Frasers wife and children care very much what your priorities are. 
    I’m sure they all prefer living in Greenwich to Dundee 
  • wmcf123 said:
    Chunes said:
    I never understand the vitriol towards a player for doing exactly what’s best for him and his family’s future security. Why should Fraser cut and run ? If I was him I’d do exactly what he’s doing. Sit it out and see if the club offer to pay a good percentage of his salary, pay him off or a combination of either. He’s a professional footballer selling his talent to the highest bidder. He’s not a Charlton fan, he’s an employee. It would be great for both parties if it gets satisfactorily resolved but if not I don’t see either club or player at fault. 
    I haven't seen any vitriol but I think I can help explain it... Here's my list of footballing priorities:

1) Charlton
    (Then everything else)
    4247) Scott Fraser

As you can see, he's quite low down. Yes, I can see the situation from his side, but should I care? Should I care that he make an extra 2-3k while doing nothing to earn it? Because I don't. I care a lot more that he goes and we bring in a quality player with his salary. Because that could be the difference between getting out of this league or staying in it. 

I very much doubt that Scott Fraser or Scott Frasers wife and children care very much what your priorities are. 
    I thought the main point is that they don't, and would rather be all together back up in Scotland
  • It's one thing to acknowledge the mercenary nature of the modern footballer but it's another thing entirely to advocate for it. If players are just business employees then we must be the customers. 
  • sam3110 said:
    wmcf123 said:
    Chunes said:

1) Charlton
    (Then everything else)
    4247) Scott Fraser

I thought the main point is that they don't, and would rather be all together back up in Scotland
    I think the main problem is Scott and his family just couldn't get used to the foreign food and trying to learn a new language.  ;)
  • sam3110 said:
    wmcf123 said:
    Chunes said:

1) Charlton
    (Then everything else)
    4247) Scott Fraser

Yes. Baffling .  
  • irn bru not as good dahn south
  • 995632 said:
    Chunes said:

1) Charlton
    (Then everything else)
    4247) Scott Fraser

Had he been a good player for us, I think I'd feel differently. 
    When he's gone I won't give him a seconds thought but at the moment he is the person in control of his immediate future. 
    Yes you will, you'll be updating us when he sneezes or burps, and update everyone on what he has for breakfast! It's what happens with our ex players; going to be painful with both SE7 branches of the Birmingham and Wrexham supporters clubs constantly spamming us...

It's like we've split up with a girlfriend and just can't let go, drowning in all the 'he said/she said drama'. 
    Not guilty your Honour. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Whilst no doubt there is plenty going on behind the scenes, this whole window has shone light on our previous transfer dealings over 2-3 years.

This window my guess is,  the owners offered up a  competitive budget which was quickly spaffed on a number of promising signings, all good so far!  Then we started trying to offload the bulk of the deadwood, surprise surprise no takers. They are on terms that clubs in our bracket would not pay, oh dear we fucked up.  We are now stuck in limbo.  I fear a proper Charlton end of window finish, panic loans it is then...

With a fair wind we could make the playoffs this year, if this is the squad.
    This 100%

Our transfer business over the last few years has been terrible (even before TS before everyone starts blaming the black box lol) we are stuck with very average players on very good wages for this level with little or no chance of getting shot of them
  • You'll all be laughing on the other side of your faces when he scores our winner next Saturday at Wigan...🙂.
  • You'll all be laughing on the other side of your faces when he scores our winner next Saturday at Wigan...🙂.
    we’d all be delighted !
  • You'll all be laughing on the other side of your faces when he scores our winner next Saturday at Wigan

Don't think there will be any laughing just dreaming if he scores.
  • Not convinced he’ll even make the bench when we know we’re trying to move him on and Anderson and Taylor are available.
  • Also can someone ITK give us something...feels like it's been weeks since the last proper rumour of Begovic, I am genuinely surprised we haven't announced a keeper in the whole week that Harry has been gone 
    We are in talks with him unlikely to happen before tomorrow game as we had hoped 
  • Also can someone ITK give us something...feels like it's been weeks since the last proper rumour of Begovic, I am genuinely surprised we haven't announced a keeper in the whole week that Harry has been gone 
    We are in talks with him unlikely to happen before tomorrow game as we had hoped 
    Unlikely to happen full stop!!
  • edited August 2
    Whilst no doubt there is plenty going on behind the scenes, this whole window has shone light on our previous transfer dealings over 2-3 years.

This window my guess is,  the owners offered up a  competitive budget which was quickly spaffed on a number of promising signings, all good so far!  Then we started trying to offload the bulk of the deadwood, surprise surprise no takers. They are on terms that clubs in our bracket would not pay, oh dear we fucked up.  We are now stuck in limbo.  I fear a proper Charlton end of window finish, panic loans it is then...

With a fair wind we could make the playoffs this year, if this is the squad.
    Yep. The constant changes of ownership, managers, and annual “rebuilds”, have just left things in a complete mess of mediocre players, unfavourable contracts, and unbalanced hodgepodge squads. I think the job was much bigger than the current owners realised and we pretty much lost a season last year when they took 6 months to realise how much work there truly was to be done. 

I would agree that this summer we appear to have finally stopped trying to take short cuts and do things on the cheap but we’ve also lost arguably our three best players from last season so taken steps back before we can stake steps forward. 

It always was a big ask to take the leap to promotion challengers in, effectively (because January was more crisis management than long term planning), one transfer window. I’m hopeful we are better than last season but, with only 5 business days left to the start of the season, it looks like we will be a bit underbaked for match day one and I worry that will leave us with ground to make up, even if we can get more good business done by the end of the transfer window. 

I’d take top 6 right now. Top 10 and improving throughout the season might be a more realistic expectation. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Scott Fraser has known his future at the Valley was over at least 8 months ago. Has has had that amount of time to engineer a move, but barely got off the bench for Hearts, so didnt really play or train for a move. 

I'd tell him he can train with kids until his contract is up, and let it sink in how desirable a 30yo unfit, luxury midfielder is in a years time.

I'd rather pay to undermine these hostage-takers rather than subsidise their dream move.
    So you’re proposing to “punish” Fraser for what misdemeanour exactly ? 
  • Scott Fraser has known his future at the Valley was over at least 8 months ago. Has has had that amount of time to engineer a move, but barely got off the bench for Hearts, so didnt really play or train for a move. 

I'd tell him he can train with kids until his contract is up, and let it sink in how desirable a 30yo unfit, luxury midfielder is in a years time.

I'd rather pay to undermine these hostage-takers rather than subsidise their dream move.
    So you’re proposing to “punish” Fraser for what misdemeanour exactly ? 
    DFTT
  • Disappointing that we will play our final preseason game with two No 2 goalkeepers as the options, but Hamer came in fairly late in summer 2011, and that worked out fine 
  • edited August 2
    Fraser holds the whip hand. 
    1 He takes a pay cut to move elsewhere. 
    2 The club pays part of his wage to facilitate a move. 
    3 The club pay up his contract. 
    4 He plays out his contract
    Which one will it be? 
    What about he moves on the same wage but the club part funds it as Portsmouth were doing with the Israeli centre half* who joined us.

*Tala Ben Haim ?
  • edited August 2
    Disappointing that we will play our final preseason game with two No 2 goalkeepers as the options, but Hamer came in fairly late in summer 2011, and that worked out fine 
    How many do you need  one in goal one on the bench 
  • Why would anyone want to sign a low energy, low production player who comes with a big ego and high wage expectations?
    Ask Scott!

What’s it got to do with Scott ? Jones has been in charge of all transfers 
    So what exactly is Scott's role?
  • I think it’s worth remembering that it’s not Frasers fault that we offered him very good wages when we signed him or that his player profile doesn’t fit in with what Jones wants. His star has diminished in brightness since we signed him and the prospect of anything above league one has diminished with it. Hard to shift him because of the contract he’s on, that WE gave him. Not many league one clubs or his preferred Scotland can match it. Zero chance of Championship interest. None of which is the players fault. It’s a totally unsatisfactory situation but we shouldn’t be blaming Fraser for it. 
    What is the player's fault is not playing to the best of his abilities in games and training. If he did then getting game time or finding another club would be no problem.
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!