Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Charlton Summer Transfer Rumours 2024

Comments

• Do trialists agree a wage for the period on trial or do they play for nowt hoping for a contract?
  • Edun has played in midfield every time he's come on, including yesterday. 

I know Ramsay spent most of preseason as a RCB but he was played in his correct position yesterday now REG is fit enough for minutes. I imagine NJ sees Edun as a midfielder now that will be the third choice LWB in an emergency. If that's the case then I hope Asiimwe gets a chance to go out on loan instead of struggling to even make the bench if he's seen as being behind Watson and Ramsay. I also hope that if Edun is staying and being listed as a midfielder that means a midfield transfer target is a creative player to replace the "void" of Fraser when he's somehow moved on
  • wmcf123 said:
    wmcf123 said:
    wmcf123 said:
    Chunes said:
    I never understand the vitriol towards a player for doing exactly what’s best for him and his family’s future security. Why should Fraser cut and run ? If I was him I’d do exactly what he’s doing. Sit it out and see if the club offer to pay a good percentage of his salary, pay him off or a combination of either. He’s a professional footballer selling his talent to the highest bidder. He’s not a Charlton fan, he’s an employee. It would be great for both parties if it gets satisfactorily resolved but if not I don’t see either club or player at fault. 
    I haven't seen any vitriol but I think I can help explain it... Here's my list of footballing priorities:

1) Charlton
    (Then everything else)
    4247) Scott Fraser

As you can see, he's quite low down. Yes, I can see the situation from his side, but should I care? Should I care that he make an extra 2-3k while doing nothing to earn it? Because I don't. I care a lot more that he goes and we bring in a quality player with his salary. Because that could be the difference between getting out of this league or staying in it. 

Had he been a good player for us, I think I'd have a lot more sympathy. 
    I very much doubt that Scott Fraser or Scott Frasers wife and children care very much what your priorities are. 
    I’m sure they all prefer living in Greenwich to Dundee 
    Have you seen Dundee?  It's a beautiful city.  I know we all like to pretend the whole of Scotland is urban wasteland populated with angry alcoholics but just take a look.  I can well understand why someone would want to move from a 3 bed flat in touristy Greenwich to a very large house in Dundee with change left over.
    I used to live very near Dundee.  Some of the surrounding area is lovely .  Dundee itself is not .  
    OK I bow to local knowledge - but I would ask how long it is since you lived there?  I think there has been a fair amount of regeneration...
    A few years but I have a lot of friends that still live there .  The city centre is , by all accounts , not nice . As I say, Fife is lovely .  
    How many city centres around the UK would you actually class as 'nice' though? There can't be many.
  • Richard J said:
    Could Edun be an option in midfield?

For squad balance having a left footed option in midfield is useful
    He isn't good enough and needs to be shipped out, not fitted in. Watson had a poor season but can be fitted into the squad.
  • It's not an easy call, but for me I'd move on AMB, Fraser (I like him but don't think he fits NJ style) and Ness.
    As for incomings Begovic, Potts, this lad Dixon, and I'd bring Bishop back as well.
    I know that's 3 out and 4 in, but Dixon should be 'cheap' and is more one for the future.
    Potts and Bishop are good experienced players to help with a youngish squad. 
    Begovic for maybe one last hurrah!
  • Jones wants 3 keepers, I can't see AMB going anywhere regardless of what keeper comes in
  • Jones is saying he has the likes of Hylton ,leaburn and Godden to come in so is that saying Hylton has signed a deal?
  • I wondered if we will have any loan players, that will be a first if we don’t 
  • sam3110 said:
    Jones wants 3 keepers, I can't see AMB going anywhere regardless of what keeper comes in
    Agreed think it will be 100% Mannion and AMB Question is whether after pre-season NJ thinks he needs to spend big on a keeper or could he rely upon Mannion as No 1 get a third option of lesser quality and invest the money elsewhere eg Potts?
  • Sponsored links:

• For me I’m most worried about the depth in our midfield. Just feels we are a little light there if we get a couple of injuries or suspensions. 
  • sam3110 said:
    Jones wants 3 keepers, I can't see AMB going anywhere regardless of what keeper comes in
    Agreed think it will be 100% Mannion and AMB Question is whether after pre-season NJ thinks he needs to spend big on a keeper or could he rely upon Mannion as No 1 get a third option of lesser quality and invest the money elsewhere eg Potts?
    I don't think so, I think he wants the exact opposite actually and would rather spend the bigger chunk on the keeper, and Potts is a relatively "cheap" option as he will know he's here simply because of Jones and will be looking to be a squad man instead of a lynchpin
  • MarcusH26 said:
    3 in 3 out sounds fair, could be more outs but I'm not sure if I'd count youngsters from the U21s going on loan to National League clubs as first team outs.

Agree if we could get Asiimwe a local L2 loan that would be absolutely ideal , I think he'll flourish with regular games. 

So GK, CB and CAM in. Shame we've got too many strikers with the additional option of using TC to go for Joe Taylor on loan - looks like he'll be at Huddersfield. 

With Leaburn and Aneke being two of our 6 strikers we really haven't got too many forwards/ strikers.

Most games 4 strikers will get on; two at a time.
    Plus the option of Kanu and Campbell giving width for plan B if the wing backs aren't working.
    No team other than Man City under Pep can only have a plan A. 
  • MarcusH26 said:
    3 in 3 out sounds fair, could be more outs but I'm not sure if I'd count youngsters from the U21s going on loan to National League clubs as first team outs.

Agree if we could get Asiimwe a local L2 loan that would be absolutely ideal , I think he'll flourish with regular games. 

So GK, CB and CAM in. Shame we've got too many strikers with the additional option of using TC to go for Joe Taylor on loan - looks like he'll be at Huddersfield. 

With Leaburn and Aneke being two of our 6 strikers we really haven't got too many forwards/ strikers.

Plus the option of Kanu and Campbell giving width for plan B if the wing backs aren't working.

I'm just wondering if a parent club would look at our options and go " no we won't loan a striker there because we aren't sure how much they'll play" 
  • For me I’m most worried about the depth in our midfield. Just feels we are a little light there if we get a couple of injuries or suspensions. 
    Not just light but lacking in creativity. I noticed yesterday that most of our forward balls were being played by our defenders....usually down the flanks. 
  • MarcusH26 said:
    MarcusH26 said:

I'm just wondering if a parent club would look at our options and go " no we won't loan a striker there because we aren't sure how much they'll play" 
    There is the added problem of getting a player who is expected to play no matter how deserving it is. Great if they are head and shoulders above evrybody else but not so great if not.
  • edited August 4
    https://www.reuters.com/sports/soccer/new-rules-allow-english-clubs-sign-players-who-do-not-meet-work-permit-2023-06-14/

Given the above I think it should be possible to bring him in, even if he fails to get the work permit approved.
  • Sponsored links:

Not just light but lacking in creativity. I noticed yesterday that most of our forward balls were being played by our defenders....usually down the flanks. 
    That’s the purpose of wing backs. They offer much in the way of attacking and starting attacks and getting crosses in. 
  • wmcf123 said:
    wmcf123 said:
    wmcf123 said:
    Chunes said:
    I never understand the vitriol towards a player for doing exactly what’s best for him and his family’s future security. Why should Fraser cut and run ? If I was him I’d do exactly what he’s doing. Sit it out and see if the club offer to pay a good percentage of his salary, pay him off or a combination of either. He’s a professional footballer selling his talent to the highest bidder. He’s not a Charlton fan, he’s an employee. It would be great for both parties if it gets satisfactorily resolved but if not I don’t see either club or player at fault. 
    I haven't seen any vitriol but I think I can help explain it... Here's my list of footballing priorities:

1) Charlton
    (Then everything else)
    4247) Scott Fraser

As you can see, he's quite low down. Yes, I can see the situation from his side, but should I care? Should I care that he make an extra 2-3k while doing nothing to earn it? Because I don't. I care a lot more that he goes and we bring in a quality player with his salary. Because that could be the difference between getting out of this league or staying in it. 

I very much doubt that Scott Fraser or Scott Frasers wife and children care very much what your priorities are. 
    Have you seen Dundee?  It's a beautiful city.  I know we all like to pretend the whole of Scotland is urban wasteland populated with angry alcoholics but just take a look.  I can well understand why someone would want to move from a 3 bed flat in touristy Greenwich to a very large house in Dundee with change left over.
    I used to live very near Dundee.  Some of the surrounding area is lovely .  Dundee itself is not .  
    OK I bow to local knowledge - but I would ask how long it is since you lived there?  I think there has been a fair amount of regeneration...
    A few years but I have a lot of friends that still live there .  The city centre is , by all accounts , not nice . As I say, Fife is lovely .  
    How many city centres around the UK would you actually class as 'nice' though? There can't be many.
    Canterbury, Winchester, Bath, Truro, York, Chester, Edinburgh, Norwich,
    Oxford, Cambridge, Salisbury, Durham, Chichester, Worcester……
    So not having a top flight football club seems to correlate (Norwich and Edinburgh the exceptions).

Back to topic- Fraser to an Edinburgh club?- Just 1hr30 straight down the M90 from Dundee.
  • https://www.reuters.com/sports/soccer/new-rules-allow-english-clubs-sign-players-who-do-not-meet-work-permit-2023-06-14/

Given the above I think it should be possible to bring him in, even if he fails to get the work permit approved.
    I think he qualifies comfortably and can’t think of any reason why the FA won’t be just rubber stamping it:- assuming they aren’t all on holiday.
  • wmcf123 said:
    wmcf123 said:
    wmcf123 said:
    Chunes said:

1) Charlton
    (Then everything else)
    4247) Scott Fraser

Canterbury, Winchester, Bath, Truro, York, Chester, Edinburgh, Norwich,
    Oxford, Cambridge, Salisbury, Durham, Chichester, Worcester and Chatham 

This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!