Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Charlton Summer Transfer Rumours 2024

Comments

• I wonder if Walton is still a possibility? 
  • Still expecting a new keeper but it might end up being a loanee. Would guess most Prem sides will have taken their younger keepers on tour with the first team with Euros/Copa America and Olympics affecting if they have their first choices available. Now that's mainly done I'd expect to see loan movement.

Must be frustrating for NJ to have tried for Ruddy,Davies,Sinsalo and now Begovic only for none of them to come off. 

• Well, knock me down with a feather 😴
  • Walton on loan must be the option, but then half of the Championship would want him 
  • Would have liked Begovic, but only if the wages were sensible.
  • Rothko said:
    Walton on loan must be the option, but then half of the Championship would want him 
    Goalkeeper can be a bit of a domino effect though, if a championship team gets him then suddenly they probably have a keeper that would be available for us to sign. 

Would still hope and expect us to get a new keeper in but maybe nearer the end of the window, and would be pretty concerned if we didn’t 
  • Meh, oh well. Could have been alright for the experience, and imagine still good enough for our level while we bring on Mannion, but, at 37 not worth over paying for.
  • Think I’d just stick with Mannion tbh
  • Sponsored links:

• edited August 5
    wmcf123 said:
    Not many old goalies playing regular football these days .  It’s much easier to sit on a bench and take the money than spend your last few years making errors- not much to gain as a keeper .  The days of the likes of Kiely playing until 40 are over 
    Im sure, if he was asked, that Deano would still be up for the job now.
  • wmcf123 said:
    Not many old goalies playing regular football these days .  It’s much easier to sit on a bench and take the money than spend your last few years making errors- not much to gain as a keeper .  The days of the likes of Kiely playing until 40 are over 
    Ben Hamer, reserve keeper at Wendies this season age 37. . 
  • Now Isted has gone another goalkeeper of some kind is needed. I don’t think the lad from Rochdale is going to be ready yet.
  • As we know with Keepers they can earn more money being a number 2 or 3 higher up the pyramid (Premier) than playing every week in the mediocre League 1.

We knew from Hamer a decade ago when Ben left CAFC after 114 apps in 3 seasons to go to Leicester to sit on the bench when he only made 12 apps in 4 seasons for the foxes ( did go out on loan eventually) that money is a big factor( no shit Sherlock) 

Hamer doubled his money and a signing on fee.

We are fans/critics; it is their career.
  • seth plum said:
    Now Isted has gone another goalkeeper of some kind is needed. I don’t think the lad from Rochdale is going to be ready yet.
    Who?
  • sam3110 said:
    seth plum said:
    Now Isted has gone another goalkeeper of some kind is needed. I don’t think the lad from Rochdale is going to be ready yet.
    Who?

Lennon McLorg the new U21s keeper. 
  • Disappointed not to get Begovic. Goalkeepers have been a problem for us since Phillips left and it would of been nice to see a experienced head in there. My bet is we will see a out of favour Championship keeper come in on loan
  • Sponsored links:

• I think we go the loan route now, but we need someone who can come in and be markedly better than Mannion and AMB
  • I think Mannion would be rightly pissed off if we brought in anyone other than a very experienced goalkeeper to play ahead of him. 
    I think Mannion knows the deal tbh. Jones talked of signing another keeper when we announced the signing of Mannion so I think he knows the score. 

For what it’s worth, I text my friend about Joe Lumley and he’s adamant we’re still interested but reckons it’s dependant on what happens with Mateusz Lis or them signing someone as they want 3. Actually Begovic going there as 3rd choice would make sense although he is ex Pompey. 
  • Mannion did fine last season in this league. I would give him the No1 spot and see how he goes until January. 
  • Not too worried about Begovic. While I don’t mind an older keeper I’m not sure a 37 year old dipping into League One would have his heart in it. I’m fine with Mannion being given a go for now.
  • Think Mannion is more than capable to be honest. After seeing him at the Cambridge game and in a couple of friendlies, I cant see the issue in giving him a chance to shine.
  • Joe Lumley is essentially a better version of AMB, warts and all of AMB's game which we are all very aware of after last season. I do think Ash could be a very good keeper if he starts to gain more positional awareness and confidence in organising a defence, hes a good shot stopper 
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!