Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Charlton Summer Transfer Rumours 2024

Comments

• Scoham said:
    wmcf123 said:
    wmcf123 said:
    wmcf123 said:
    Chunes said:
    I never understand the vitriol towards a player for doing exactly what’s best for him and his family’s future security. Why should Fraser cut and run ? If I was him I’d do exactly what he’s doing. Sit it out and see if the club offer to pay a good percentage of his salary, pay him off or a combination of either. He’s a professional footballer selling his talent to the highest bidder. He’s not a Charlton fan, he’s an employee. It would be great for both parties if it gets satisfactorily resolved but if not I don’t see either club or player at fault. 
    I haven't seen any vitriol but I think I can help explain it... Here's my list of footballing priorities:

1) Charlton
    (Then everything else)
    4247) Scott Fraser

As you can see, he's quite low down. Yes, I can see the situation from his side, but should I care? Should I care that he make an extra 2-3k while doing nothing to earn it? Because I don't. I care a lot more that he goes and we bring in a quality player with his salary. Because that could be the difference between getting out of this league or staying in it. 

Had he been a good player for us, I think I'd have a lot more sympathy. 
    I very much doubt that Scott Fraser or Scott Frasers wife and children care very much what your priorities are. 
    I’m sure they all prefer living in Greenwich to Dundee 
    Have you seen Dundee?  It's a beautiful city.  I know we all like to pretend the whole of Scotland is urban wasteland populated with angry alcoholics but just take a look.  I can well understand why someone would want to move from a 3 bed flat in touristy Greenwich to a very large house in Dundee with change left over.
    I used to live very near Dundee.  Some of the surrounding area is lovely .  Dundee itself is not .  
    OK I bow to local knowledge - but I would ask how long it is since you lived there?  I think there has been a fair amount of regeneration...
    A few years but I have a lot of friends that still live there .  The city centre is , by all accounts , not nice . As I say, Fife is lovely .  
    How many city centres around the UK would you actually class as 'nice' though? There can't be many.
    Canterbury, Winchester, Bath, Truro, York, Chester, Edinburgh, Norwich,
    Oxford, Cambridge, Salisbury, Durham, Chichester, Worcester……
    Slough’s a big place. There’s Reading, Aldershot, Bracknell. I’ve got Didcot, Yateley… You know…Winnersh. Taplow. Because I am my own boss, I can- Burghfield.
    That’s not me in bed with another bloke called David 
  • edited August 4
    Redhenry said:
    Golfaddick gets a fair bit of stick on here regarding his opinion of all things Charlton. 

But tbf the last 3 seasons have been total shit resulting in our lowest league position for 98 years. 

He has been far more correct in what he says than some of the more optimistic posters on here .
    Jeez 45 likes for this. A broken clock is correct twice a day…
    Has Blackpool72 got 45 spurious accounts set up?...😉
  • I suspect Fraser will be gone soon which will free up some money for one of our targets but I think getting three out, of AMB, Ness and Edun might be a challenge. I’d expect AMB to remain now and we go with Mannion and him. A loan for Ness and Edun is I’d think 50/50. Ness the more likely to go. What priorities Jones has on getting one or two in remains to be seen. 

I think it depends on other clubs assessing their needs as well, with a month remaining of the window, most clubs would like their incoming business settled but that is rarely the case. A goalkeeper like AMB needs to play to progress, he's not the finished article for sure, but he is still learning and needs game time, he and his agent may think the same. As for Ness, there seems to be a lot of players in front of him and I agree Shooters, a loan for him seems the likeliest of the three, as for Edun, it was interesting that he was used in midfield in a couple of friendlies, perhaps like Tyreece Campbell, Jones sees him a different role, I certainly don't think he will fill the left/wing back role anytime soon. 
  • edited August 4
    Redhenry said:
    Golfaddick gets a fair bit of stick on here regarding his opinion of all things Charlton. 

But tbf the last 3 seasons have been total shit resulting in our lowest league position for 98 years. 

He has been far more correct in what he says than some of the more optimistic posters on here .
    Please explain what you mean. 

Edit. 
    Just seen you were responding to Redhenry 
  • Redhenry said:

Going on his user name, I think he has 72
  • Redhenry said:

Edit. 
    No offence intended @blackpool72, just a little jest...😉
  • Redhenry said:

Edit. 
    No offence intended @blackpool72, just a little jest...😉
    None taken. 👍👍
  • For me I’m most worried about the depth in our midfield. Just feels we are a little light there if we get a couple of injuries or suspensions. 
    Not just light but lacking in creativity. I noticed yesterday that most of our forward balls were being played by our defenders....usually down the flanks. 
    That’s the purpose of wing backs. They offer much in the way of attacking and starting attacks and getting crosses in. 
    Only if they can cross. Wingers spend years (or should do) learning how to cross. Defenders (which Small & Ramsey principally are) learn how to defend first. As long as Jones now spends time training them how to cross, on the run, then I'll be as happy as Larry. 
  • For me I’m most worried about the depth in our midfield. Just feels we are a little light there if we get a couple of injuries or suspensions. 
    Not just light but lacking in creativity. I noticed yesterday that most of our forward balls were being played by our defenders....usually down the flanks. 
    That’s the purpose of wing backs. They offer much in the way of attacking and starting attacks and getting crosses in. 
    Only if they can cross. Wingers spend years (or should do) learning how to cross. Defenders (which Small & Ramsey principally are) learn how to defend first. As long as Jones now spends time training them how to cross, on the run, then I'll be as happy as Larry. 
    I don’t think that’s what modern wingers do in training . 
  • wmcf123 said:
    For me I’m most worried about the depth in our midfield. Just feels we are a little light there if we get a couple of injuries or suspensions. 
    https://youtube.com/shorts/Ti6kg1H36C8?si=HXDAnT3oi8HI_zXw
  • Sponsored links:

• wmcf123 said:
    wmcf123 said:
    wmcf123 said:
    Chunes said:
    I never understand the vitriol towards a player for doing exactly what’s best for him and his family’s future security. Why should Fraser cut and run ? If I was him I’d do exactly what he’s doing. Sit it out and see if the club offer to pay a good percentage of his salary, pay him off or a combination of either. He’s a professional footballer selling his talent to the highest bidder. He’s not a Charlton fan, he’s an employee. It would be great for both parties if it gets satisfactorily resolved but if not I don’t see either club or player at fault. 
    I haven't seen any vitriol but I think I can help explain it... Here's my list of footballing priorities:

1) Charlton
    (Then everything else)
    4247) Scott Fraser

As you can see, he's quite low down. Yes, I can see the situation from his side, but should I care? Should I care that he make an extra 2-3k while doing nothing to earn it? Because I don't. I care a lot more that he goes and we bring in a quality player with his salary. Because that could be the difference between getting out of this league or staying in it. 

I very much doubt that Scott Fraser or Scott Frasers wife and children care very much what your priorities are. 
    Have you seen Dundee?  It's a beautiful city.  I know we all like to pretend the whole of Scotland is urban wasteland populated with angry alcoholics but just take a look.  I can well understand why someone would want to move from a 3 bed flat in touristy Greenwich to a very large house in Dundee with change left over.
    I used to live very near Dundee.  Some of the surrounding area is lovely .  Dundee itself is not .  
    OK I bow to local knowledge - but I would ask how long it is since you lived there?  I think there has been a fair amount of regeneration...
    A few years but I have a lot of friends that still live there .  The city centre is , by all accounts , not nice . As I say, Fife is lovely .  
    How many city centres around the UK would you actually class as 'nice' though? There can't be many.
    Canterbury, Winchester, Bath, Truro, York, Chester, Edinburgh, Norwich,
    Oxford, Cambridge, Salisbury, Durham, Chichester, Worcester and Chatham 

I am sure a Lifer will know off the top of their head the train routes and timetable to all of these.

• wmcf123 said:
    wmcf123 said:
    wmcf123 said:
    Chunes said:

1) Charlton
    (Then everything else)
    4247) Scott Fraser

Wolverhampton.
    I just heard Larry has been committed for manic depression.
  • Scoham said:
    Posted on another forum, Dixon’s replied to a fan on Instagram.

Other way round boy-o . The valley will grace you!
  • Fraser shit left in limbo 
    Alfie May decent had buyers 
    it’s football one wanted to stay the manager wanted neither 

footballers have limited time to earn and unbelievably like in real life they pay tax on their wages, they have a cost of living , mortgages and rent aren’t free and some have family’s to help fund , the wages some of these fellas are on whilst more than decent will disappear like a puff of smoke by the time they are out of the game for a few years , so they have to make hay while the sun shines .
    i know I would , so realistically no one is walking away from whatever over paid contract our club put in front of them .

just pay up Charlton , we made the bad trade cut our losses and move on , it’s not rocket science .
    But it's not just about their worth as players, it's also because Fraser wants to return to Scotland, which massively reduces the number of clubs who would be interested in him and pay him the sort of salary he'd want.

If Fraser had just wanted to leave us, he'd have moved a long time ago. Several clubs in L1 would take him, as in the right sort of system he's still a decent player, and would either pay him enough for him to be happy to leave permanently OR offer us a more appealing loan deal, paying more of his salary than the Scottish clubs could.
    Or he could take a pay cut to move to Scotland - remember he did make a contractual commitment to stay in England - sounds like he wants his cake and to eat it.
  • Richard J said:
    Could Edun be an option in midfield?

For squad balance having a left footed option in midfield is useful
    He isn't good enough and needs to be shipped out, not fitted in. Watson had a poor season but can be fitted into the squad.
    The one who strikes me as being talented and quick enough to move into midfield or even up front is Thierry Small - wouldn’t be the first time that a former Southampton full back has moved to play elsewhere.
    Lots of successful League 1 teams manage with a smaller squad - they do so by having a consistent shape and style of play around which it is easier to switch players around since they understand what they are meant to be doing. Watching the Portsmouth game I got the feeling that Jones gets this and has got the message through to his players. Watching League 1 football rather too much for my liking I feel this is usually more of a key to success than buying/selling key players.
    Me too - given the quality of crosses in recent years, I do hope Dracula has been moved on along with Appleton.  Could someone explain what is the modern theory about making so many crosses along the ground/at low level which now appears quite common at higher levels than League 1?
  • Scoham said:

I was going to say what a nice well spoken young man he sounds to be. I couldn't for a moment see Fraser being so nice. 
  • Sponsored links:

• sm said:
    For me I’m most worried about the depth in our midfield. Just feels we are a little light there if we get a couple of injuries or suspensions. 
    Lots of successful League 1 teams manage with a smaller squad - they do so by having a consistent shape and style of play around which it is easier to switch players around since they understand what they are meant to be doing. Watching the Portsmouth game I got the feeling that Jones gets this and has got the message through to his players. Watching League 1 football rather too much for my liking I feel this is usually more of a key to success than buying/selling key players.
    Hmm, if Coventry gets injured we only really have Taylor who can fill his position who is still really an unknown quantity for us, or potentially Zach Mitchell at a push which is a big ask.

Otherwise there is Eden, but he seems out of favour and on the move on list.

If say Coventry and Docherty get injured we then all of a sudden have a midfield of Taylor, Anderson and Berry and no other natural midfielders unless you count Fraser, and Eden.

Aneke has played 10 before, but he won’t have the legs to play Jones pressing game, and I don’t  see any of our other strikers being able to play in the midfield - likewise with defence.

Considering how important that midfield and winning the ball high up the pitch is for Jones I don’t see who we are switching around to cover injuries, suspensions or just players needing a rest in the middle of the park that keeps us competitive.
  • Scoham said:
    wmcf123 said:
    https://youtube.com/shorts/Ti6kg1H36C8?si=HXDAnT3oi8HI_zXw
    Testify!
  • Nixon tweeting we're struggling to agree terms with Begovic... or maybe it's Blackburn who are struggling.

https://x.com/reluctantnicko/status/1820150526299848773
  • sm said:
    Hmm, if Coventry gets injured we only really have Taylor who can fill his position who is still really an unknown quantity for us, or potentially Zach Mitchell at a push which is a big ask.

If say Coventry and Docherty get injured we then all of a sudden have a midfield of Taylor, Anderson and Berry and no other natural midfielders unless you count Fraser, and Eden.

Aneke has played 10 before, but he won’t have the legs to play Jones pressing game, and I don’t  see any of our other strikers being able to play in the midfield - likewise with defence.

Considering how important that midfield and winning the ball high up the pitch is for Jones I don’t see who we are switching around to cover injuries, suspensions or just players needing a rest in the middle of the park that keeps us competitive.
    There is also the option of playing Edwards or Small in midfield. I imagine REG could do a job there as well.
  • sm said:
    Scoham said:

I was going to say what a nice well spoken young man he sounds to be. I couldn't for a moment see Fraser being so nice. 
    Why not? Because he hasn't played very well for us recently?
  • sm said:

There is also the option of playing Edwards or Small in midfield. I imagine REG could do a job there as well.
    Small has never played in central midfield. REG has played 11 of 130 games and Edwards has played 5 of 221 games in midfield, and whilst they are options at a pinch I really would not expect a ‘promotion winning team’ not to be going down the ‘square pegs in round holes’ route. 

I’d feel much more confident next season if we got rid of Eden and Fraser and brought in one more quality midfielder. 
  • Scoham said:
    Nixon tweeting we're struggling to agree terms with Begovic... or maybe it's Blackburn who are struggling.

Not overly fussed, as I said few weeks back, I think it could be a mistake. We certainly need a big strong keeper, but is he the answer I am not sure! 
  • No idea still if Mr Begovic is coming to us.

I thought I’d try and do a bit of sleuthing on his website, to see if he was ‘on tour’ with his goalkeeping football school (no success).

Ended up to see he’s got his own AB1 clothing range, quite impressive, goalies gloves etc

Also has a range of compression based layer shorts, no idea what they do, but might get a pair, and look like,  was it Larry out of cameo, the 80’s band, ‘powered by goalkeepers’ , I like that phrase…

• sm said:

Small has never played in central midfield. REG has played 11 of 130 games and Edwards has played 5 of 221 games in midfield, and whilst they are options at a pinch I really would not expect a ‘promotion winning team’ not to be going down the ‘square pegs in round holes’ route. 

I’d feel much more confident next season if we got rid of Eden and Fraser and brought in one more quality midfielder. 
    To get to that scenario, we are talking about having 2 or 3 midfielders injured. Any team with that number of absentees would have to  mix and match a bit. 
  • Scoham said:
    Nixon tweeting we're struggling to agree terms with Begovic... or maybe it's Blackburn who are struggling.

I won’t be heartbroken if this one doesn’t happen.
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!