Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Charlton Summer Transfer Rumours 2024

Comments

• edited August 5
    AndyG said:
    Mannion did fine last season in this league. I would give him the No1 spot and see how he goes until January. 
    when it will be too late.
  • I think Mannion would be rightly pissed off if we brought in anyone other than a very experienced goalkeeper to play ahead of him. 

I haven't seen enough of Mannion to judge him.
    What is the opinion of him either now or in his past ?
    I see Will Mannion is 26 years old.
  • Think we’ve got to trust Jones on this now. Whether he’s still going to persevere in trying to sign a very experienced GK ahead of Mannion or change tack. Just depends on how much confidence he has in Mannion. 
  • We were warned that Begovic was happy to get a final payday and sit on the bench.

We’ve had enough of those over the years.

Given a poster on here knew that (I think it was Redhenry) I’m surprised we even entertained negotiations and didn’t run a mile in the opposite direction.
  • Cawley saying Begovic is a no goer as finances could not be agreed.
    He wanted 15k a week 
  • Cawley saying Begovic is a no goer as finances could not be agreed.
    He wanted 15k a week 
  • Options of 1. going for an experienced 1st choice keeper  (which appears to have been the preference), 2. Getting an older keeper in as a back up to Mannion or 3. perhaps a younger loanee as first pick.

Jones seems adverse to loans so 1 or 2 seem more likely.

@Redhenry called the Begovic deal as unlikely from the start. The GOAT of ITKs.
    Love the humble assurance of a @Redhenry post. Mans gets stuff right. 
  • Only worry is that seems to be the 4/5th goal keeper we’ve wanted but not been able to sign. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Only worry is that seems to be the 4/5th goal keeper we’ve wanted but not been able to sign. 
    I think Jones might have to relent and accept it will have to be a loan.  This is a position when I think it’s acceptable to do so - we’ve had a lot of success over the years with decent goalies - Carson, Amos, Rudd .  I cannot believe there isn’t a good one in the premier league / championship that wouldn’t fancy a year with us as number 1. 
    Signing an experienced GK with PL experience and asking them to drop down to league one wages is always going to be tough. Been pointed out many times that the option of sitting on the bench as third choice and picking up £15k would suit most better.
  • Not fussed at losing out on Begovic.  QPR fans were not exactly excited by him and he's definitely on the way down in his career.  Probably would have been an expensive and risky signing
    I believe we are looking at someone but, personally, think it's Mannion's shirt to lose at the moment.  The guy we are looking at would probably expect to be first choice so it could be an interesting battle between the goalies.  Or would it be a headache having 57 varieties of goalie pick from  :D.  We'll leave that for Nathan to decide
  • not ITK at all but I'll be amazed if we don't sign a keeper to be No 1
    I think we spoke to begovic right at the start of the summer so was quite high up the want list
  • surely not
  • fenaddick said:
    Sounds like a loan deal.

Really need these players off our books completely. 
  • fenaddick said:
    Interesting. As I pointed out we are short enough in midfield as it is without Taylor going, so find it hard to see that happening unless we have a real ace up our sleeve.

Shows he is still rated in the wider footballing world with promotion rivals going in for him.
  • Sponsored links:

• Wouldn't make any sense moving on Taylor, unless we signed 2 or even 3 midfielders, especially if Fraser is also off
  • Agreed that I don't think he'll go, interesting the calibre of clubs interested though. Both teams really aiming for promotion so they clearly believe he has the quality
  • Joe Lumley is essentially a better version of AMB, warts and all of AMB's game which we are all very aware of after last season. I do think Ash could be a very good keeper if he starts to gain more positional awareness and confidence in organising a defence, hes a good shot stopper 
    Noooooo
  • People wanting Mannion to be our starting keeper (until January) cannot be serious btw. 

We need someone in as #1. 
  • Redhenry said:
    Joe Lumley is essentially a better version of AMB, warts and all of AMB's game which we are all very aware of after last season. I do think Ash could be a very good keeper if he starts to gain more positional awareness and confidence in organising a defence, hes a good shot stopper 
    Noooooo
    That is certainly...a response RedHenry 
  • not sure why we'd let him go to teams who we are likely to be competing with too
  • MarcusH26 said:
    Would be very surprised if we entertained a loan for Taylor , think he's still going to have a quite a big role to play. 
    Not sure there would be interest unless they knew they'd be able to get him. Strange move on our part if we let him go. 
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!