Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Charlton Summer Transfer Rumours 2024

Comments

• The Begovic 'saga', reminds of when Ben Purrington left, and we went what 2 seasons? without a replacement, surely he can't be short of a shilling, wonder if he's changed his mind / failed a medical, i thought if it was going to happen , it would have been announced yesterday.

Blimey - replacing Purrington . (Excluding his Wembley goal that made us happy)
  • Yann897 said:
    @Yann897 said:
    "Give me Berry and Docherty any day over Dobson, People will soon see."

I have to agree, although unfortunately the rules don't allow us to replace one player with 2. We have to stick with 11 on the pitch at any one time. I would therefore prefer to have stuck with Dobbo.
    So two players that have proven it in the championship and you’d rather have mid table Dobson, I’m actually looking forward to people looking like fools once they see Berry and Docherty play.
    Dobson not in the same league as Berry and Docherty , he never played higher then league one mid table 
    Of course you’ve never seen either play for us and they are both over 30:
  • I'm prepared to give Berry and Docherty leeway considering I've only seen one once and the other twice. But Coventry, we have had our pants pulled down. 20+ games. Was he ever better tham mediocre in any? 

Had to laugh when he dribbled the ball almost the entire length of the box, when a simple touch into 18 yard area would have drawn a penalty. He ended up passing it to their keeper.

I have no affinity with Bexley, who I suspect doesn't watch games, just takes opposing views. If not rating Coventry, Gilly, Jones, Edun, Watson, Docherty is controversial then so be it. 

Mmmm……I smell a rat.👊
  • wmcf123 said:
    Yann897 said:
    wmcf123 said:
    Yann897 said:
    https://x.com/gabsutton/status/1818179727657689368?s=46&t=h5Lx2bbeSHc7F8-dpZyDbA

An interesting read, Journalist predicting 4th for us.
    Decent preview but the paragraph....

'A high-pedigree group remains in commanding centre-back Lloyd Jones, intelligent left-sided defender Macauley Gillesphey, tenacious wing-back Tennai Watson, and Carrick-caricature Conor Coventry'. Feels like he's just picked a random few names out the bag, none of the those had a particularly good season last year at all. 
    He’s just never seen any of them play 
    He’s a league 1/2 journalist so I’m sure he has, yeah we had a bad season last season but we’ve seen glimpses of good players and they were decent at previous clubs it must be the Charlton curse but I’m not sure I get the fascination of slagging off our players at every opportunity we need to get behind them this season. 
    Comparing Coventry to Carrick suggests otherwise 
    He's nowhere near as good, obviously, but that is exactly the style of player that Coventry is. 
  • wmcf123 said:
    Yann897 said:
    @Yann897 said:

I have to agree, although unfortunately the rules don't allow us to replace one player with 2. We have to stick with 11 on the pitch at any one time. I would therefore prefer to have stuck with Dobbo.
    So two players that have proven it in the championship and you’d rather have mid table Dobson, I’m actually looking forward to people looking like fools once they see Berry and Docherty play.
    Dobson not in the same league as Berry and Docherty , he never played higher then league one mid table 
    Docherty’s 27
  • wmcf123 said:
    Yann897 said:
    @Yann897 said:

Again not a clue … Docherty is 27.
  • edited July 30
    Well I respect my longstanding QPR mate who has been going there as a season ticket holder for nearly 60 years. He said

" No, I don't rate him. Too old, slow coming out and can't get down to shots".

Good enough for me.
    I mean watching something lots doesn't mean you know what he can do for us, it doesn't make them an instant expert, his championship stats seem ok. Honestly, we could sign someone from sunday league I'll judge them on how they perform for CAFC. I'll always initially trust a manager as they are signed to meet goals and tasks that align with their own and the boards. This is NJ's first window so for me Rome wasn't built in a day so good improvement based on last season is seem as a good result for me. So top 8-10.
  • edited July 30
    Yann897 said:
    wmcf123 said:
    Yann897 said:
    @Yann897 said:

Thanks - I made a mistake; I was talking about Godden. Of course, you’ve never seen any of them play for us .  
  • wmcf123 said:
    Yann897 said:
    wmcf123 said:
    Yann897 said:
    https://x.com/gabsutton/status/1818179727657689368?s=46&t=h5Lx2bbeSHc7F8-dpZyDbA

'A high-pedigree group remains in commanding centre-back Lloyd Jones, intelligent left-sided defender Macauley Gillesphey, tenacious wing-back Tennai Watson, and Carrick-caricature Conor Coventry'. Feels like he's just picked a random few names out the bag, none of the those had a particularly good season last year at all. 
    He’s a league 1/2 journalist so I’m sure he has, yeah we had a bad season last season but we’ve seen glimpses of good players and they were decent at previous clubs it must be the Charlton curse but I’m not sure I get the fascination of slagging off our players at every opportunity we need to get behind them this season. 
    He's nowhere near as good, obviously, but that is exactly the style of player that Coventry is. 
    I don’t think he’d be playing in league one if he had Carrick’s attributes .  
  • wmcf123 said:
    Yann897 said:
    wmcf123 said:
    Yann897 said:
    @Yann897 said:

Thanks - I made a mistake; I was talking about Godden. Of course, you’ve never seen any of them play for us .  
    Well Iv watched 3 friendlies so technically we have seen them play for us but also seen them for previous clubs and rated both for a few seasons and surprised they’ve both dropped down to us, think people are forgetting how buzzing we were to sign both but of course we played bad against afc Wimbledon so everyone’s forgot about that.
  • Sponsored links:

• Yann897 said:
    wmcf123 said:
    Yann897 said:
    wmcf123 said:
    Yann897 said:
    @Yann897 said:

Well Iv watched 3 friendlies so technically we have seen them play for us but also seen them for previous clubs and rated both for a few seasons and surprised they’ve both dropped down to us, think people are forgetting how buzzing we were to sign both but of course we played bad against afc Wimbledon so everyone’s forgot about that.
    I’d rather be you than me - you buzz away with optimism.  
  • wmcf123 said:
    Yann897 said:
    wmcf123 said:
    Yann897 said:
    wmcf123 said:
    Yann897 said:
    @Yann897 said:

I’d rather be you than me - you buzz away with optimism.  
    I’d rather be me to mate 👍🏻
  • wmcf123 said:
    wmcf123 said:
    Yann897 said:
    wmcf123 said:
    Yann897 said:

I don’t think he’d be playing in league one if he had Carrick’s attributes .  
    Of course not, but they are/were holding midfielders who are more passers than hard tackling ball winners.
  • "We need to be like Peterborough and be signing the hidden gems!"
    "WHY are we signing Dixon, Ahadme, Mitchell we need more Champ level players!!!1111!!!!!133!!"
    "Why are we singing Godden, Berry, Docherty and Begovic! They're past it! We need to be signing the next Begovic!"

ad infinitum

Said absolutely no one.
    These posts digging out our own fans for saying things no one ever said are odd imo.
  • edited July 30
    Southbank said:
    Yann897 said:
    @Yann897 said:

As neither Berry nor Docherty are defensive mids I struggle to get your point. The comparison will be with Coventry (sincerely hope he learns to tackle).
    Didn’t someone put a post on here showing that coventrys tackle percentage was comparable to dobsons? 
    Someone posted that as a fact, top of L1, then another posted actual stats showing Coventry had made slightly more than one tackle a game. I'd want wingers to achieve that, let alone our main CDM. It all went a bit quiet after that
  • Southbank said:
    Yann897 said:
    @Yann897 said:

As neither Berry nor Docherty are defensive mids I struggle to get your point. The comparison will be with Coventry (sincerely hope he learns to tackle).
    Didn’t someone put a post on here showing that coventrys tackle percentage was comparable to dobsons? 
    Someone posted that as a fact, top of L1, then another posted actual stats showing Coventry had made slightly more than one tackle a game. I'd want wingers to achieve that, let alone our main CDM. It all went a bit quiet after that
    I think you'll find I posted actual stats about it the last time @Southbank bleated on about Coventry not being able to tackle. He's in the top 10% of tackles per 90 mins in the the league and had a higher intercept rate than Dobson, but apparently that's not good enough

• Southbank said:
    Yann897 said:
    @Yann897 said:

Where are the stats from? I don’t know how accurate it is, but I just looked at whoscored and it had Coventry as making 2.2 tackles and 1.9 interceptions per game.

Dobson as a comparison was 2.9 tackles and 1.3 interceptions.
    Yeah that's the stats I posted last time
  • edited July 30
    "We need to be like Peterborough and be signing the hidden gems!"
    "WHY are we signing Dixon, Ahadme, Mitchell we need more Champ level players!!!1111!!!!!133!!"
    "Why are we singing Godden, Berry, Docherty and Begovic! They're past it! We need to be signing the next Begovic!"

ad infinitum

Said absolutely no one.
    These posts digging out our own fans for saying things no one ever said are odd imo.
    How Odd.

Calm down it's a joke.

And I'm sure if anyone could be bothered there's probably one person questioning it, seeing as there always is such measured views, much like the begovic rumour, and how  over the last few pages berry and docherty have been deemed not good  enough to lace god like Dobson's boots because of one bad pre season loss and performance ,and, much like how Coventry will forever be ripped apart.

• Sponsored links:

• sam3110 said:
    Southbank said:
    Yann897 said:
    @Yann897 said:

Where are the stats from? I don’t know how accurate it is, but I just looked at whoscored and it had Coventry as making 2.2 tackles and 1.9 interceptions per game.

It’s why ‘do your own research’ is such an important concept. 
  • sam3110 said:
    Southbank said:
    Yann897 said:
    @Yann897 said:

It’s why ‘do your own research’ is such an important concept. 

sam3110 said:
    Southbank said:
    Yann897 said:
    @Yann897 said:

Yeah that's the stats I posted last time.

Link please, I can find no mention.
  • Link please.

Stat I have is that he has played 75 games (no idea how many minutes/sub on/off in five seasons. 

Why, if he is a ball-winning midfielder with good distribution?
  • Chunes said:
    QPR must have quality defenders and shit strikers then because they had the 8th best goals against last season.

Imagine where they would have finished if they had a better goalkeeper and some decent goalscorers. 
    Yeah but to be fair, Craig Macgillivray finished 3rd in League One for clean sheets in 21/22 while playing for us and I don't think many would be singing his praises as a goalkeeper.
    Well lots were singing his praises before he came to us considering he got Portsmouth fan player of the year with 64% of the vote.

What does that show? That ultimately peoples opinions, no matter how many years they have been going to watch their team play - is just that an opinion - and is not indicative of how they will play for Charlton.

Fine to voice your concerns like Callum has done. But to essentially write him off because of what’s been said on social media is just silly in my view.

For what it’s worth, he’s not the keeper I would want, but I doubt he will be ‘the cheap’ option either. So the coaching and scouting team must have some faith that he is not past it.
    So, does that mean we’ve signed him?
  • Link please.

Stat I have is that he has played 75 games (no idea how many minutes/sub on/off in five seasons. 

Why, if he is a ball-winning midfielder with good distribution?
    For most of that time he was a young player developing and proving himself. All four of his loans were half season loans and he moved to us halfway through the season too, so he's never had the chance to play 35/40+ games a season for one club.
  • CAFCsayer said:
    I really rate Coventry, he isn't going to make gut busting runs and be sliding everywhere, but think he has all of the tools to play the Cullen role. Think we will see the best of him having a full pre-season under Jones, having ramsay and small either side of an engertic midfield
    Don't doubt your take just hope we can all agree there will be no more excuses for Coventry next season and its time he lives up to his billing. 
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!