Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Charlton Summer Transfer Rumours 2024

Comments

• I can see us talking ourselves out of this guy before he has even signed  the contract…😏
    It’s what Charlton fans do . 
  • Chunes said:
    I read a comment that "Begovic gifted Plymouth 2 points" so looked up the game.

The goal is at 1:45 for anyone interested.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vIjn59o5DR4
    Yeah that's bad keeping 
  • Didn't we beat Ipswich 6-1 who were in the league above in pre season then have an underwhelming season until Bowyer came in??

The game where for some reason Ipswich played in red and Charlton played in blue and it took me a while to realise it. I seem to recall at one point i was thinking that Ipswich player who looks like Rickie Holmes is running rings around us.
  • Rothko said:
    Begovic had a decent season in the Championship last year, he's a good signing if it happens 
    Got to Loftus Road a lot did u?
  • I think the potential Begovic signing is very much to stop us being in the situation we were in last season where we had two senior keepers, neither of whom were any good for us. One fell to pieces (though I never understood how he stayed in ahead of Wollacott once he was fit again the season before) and the other didn't manage to show he was at the needed level. They obviously like Mannion but he might not be at the level required and we don't want to have to play AMB so we're going for a tried and tested keeper who can drop away if Mannion proves to be up to it. Jones has often not had a 46 game keeper in his management career. We'll have to be very unlucky even for us to have Begovic turn up past it and Mannion turn up useless.
  • I'd rather us go down the loan route, I wouldn't mind someone like James Trafford or Dean Henderson from one of the top clubs. Begovic won't be cheap and I'd rather the budget go on other areas, particularly when many young keepers in the Big 6 are more than capable of League One. 

It's crazy to think that we had James Beadle and had to let him go. 

Please put a 😁 when you suggest Dean Henderson or James Trafford 😂  for a loan to a team that finished in the bottom half of the 3rd tier.
  • edited July 30
    Chunes said:
    Rothko said:
    Chunes said:
    Rothko said:
    Begovic had a decent season in the Championship last year, he's a good signing if it happens 
    QPR fans don't seem to agree with the idea he was good last season but I hope you're right
    Some QPR fans on one messageboard
    He was basically ever present for QPR last season, which hardly suggests someone who was terrible.
    Don't follow the logic there. We've had a lot of 'ever present' players who turned out to be nowhere near good enough?

Ever present in the Championship sound fine to me for a keeper. 45/46 games to be precise in League.

So much negative spin is getting tiresome regarding this situation.
    If appearances prove ability then we can save a fortune on scouting. 

It's not spin at all, it's just a point, irregardless of the player being discussed.
  • Chunes said:
    I read a comment that "Begovic gifted Plymouth 2 points" so looked up the game.

The goal is at 1:45 for anyone interested.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vIjn59o5DR4
    Yep.....just what we want. Another keeper that doesn't come off his line 🙄.

I wouldn't want him in my team mainly because his too old. I know 'keepers can go on longer than outfield players but I wouldn't be signing anyone over 34 in any case  
  • I'd rather us go down the loan route, I wouldn't mind someone like James Trafford or Dean Henderson from one of the top clubs. Begovic won't be cheap and I'd rather the budget go on other areas, particularly when many young keepers in the Big 6 are more than capable of League One. 

It's crazy to think that we had James Beadle and had to let him go. 

Please put a 😁 when you suggest Dean Henderson or James Trafford 😂  for a loan to a team that finished in the bottom half of the 3rd tier.
    I don't mean them two specifically, I mean a highly-rated young keeper who is ready for men's football - just like the career paths of James Trafford (Bolton), Dean Henderson (Shrewsbury), Aaron Ramsdale (AFC Wimbledon), etc. 

That seems like a more attractive proposition than the price of Begovic - who I would still be happy to see sign. 
  • Sponsored links:

• QPR must have quality defenders and shit strikers then because they had the 8th best goals against last season.

Imagine where they would have finished if they had a better goalkeeper and some decent goalscorers. 
  • edited July 30
    QPR must have quality defenders and shit strikers then because they had the 8th best goals against last season.

Imagine where they would have finished if they had a better goalkeeper and some decent goalscorers. 
    Yeah but to be fair, Craig Macgillivray finished 3rd in League One for clean sheets in 21/22 while playing for us and I don't think many would be singing his praises as a goalkeeper.
  • edited July 30
    Didn't want Begovic anyway, not when we have AMB...🤦‍♂️
  • "We need to be like Peterborough and be signing the hidden gems!"
    "WHY are we signing Dixon, Ahadme, Mitchell we need more Champ level players!!!1111!!!!!133!!"
    "Why are we singing Godden, Berry, Docherty and Begovic! They're past it! We need to be signing the next Begovic!"

ad infinitum
    Isn't Docherty 22 !!?? Berry played in the Prem last season,  Mitchell played for Millwall in the Championship 
    "WHY are we signing Dixon, Ahadme, Mitchell we need more Champ level players!!!1111!!!!!133!!"
    "Why are we singing Godden, Berry, Docherty and Begovic! They're past it! We need to be signing the next Begovic!"

ad infinitum
    Isn't Docherty 22 !!?? Berry played in the Prem last season,  Mitchell played for Millwall in the Championship 
    I may be getting whooshed but Docherty is 27, and Mitchell's only game for Millwall has been in the league cup

ad infinitum
    I may be getting whooshed but Docherty is 27, and Mitchell's only game for Millwall has been in the league cup
    Yea sorry its Mitchell that's 22 , your right Docherty is indeed 27 , apologies 
  • Chunes said:
    Rothko said:
    Chunes said:
    Rothko said:
    QPR fans don't seem to agree with the idea he was good last season but I hope you're right
    Some QPR fans on one messageboard
    He was basically ever present for QPR last season, which hardly suggests someone who was terrible.
    Don't follow the logic there. We've had a lot of 'ever present' players who turned out to be nowhere near good enough?

This is someone ever present in the division above us. And not for a relegated team either.
  • edited July 30
    Chunes said:
    QPR must have quality defenders and shit strikers then because they had the 8th best goals against last season.

Yeah but to be fair, Craig Macgillivray finished 3rd in League One for clean sheets in 21/22 while playing for us and I don't think many would be singing his praises as a goalkeeper.
    Well lots were singing his praises before he came to us considering he got Portsmouth fan player of the year with 64% of the vote.

What does that show? That ultimately peoples opinions, no matter how many years they have been going to watch their team play - is just that an opinion - and is not indicative of how they will play for Charlton.

Fine to voice your concerns like Callum has done. But to essentially write him off because of what’s been said on social media is just silly in my view.

For what it’s worth, he’s not the keeper I would want, but I doubt he will be ‘the cheap’ option either. So the coaching and scouting team must have some faith that he is not past it.
  • Sponsored links:

• Chunes getting a rough ride today! Doesn’t read to me that he’s writing Begovic off at all, just pointing out some fans opinions on him, which is done pretty much every time we sign someone for obvious reasons. 
  • QPR must have quality defenders and shit strikers then because they had the 8th best goals against last season.

What were QPRs fans expectations last season? Presumably they were hoping to make the playoffs, as is probably the case for a lot of Championship clubs. Begovic likely wasn’t good enough for that, but that doesn’t mean he can’t be a good GK in L1.
  • Yann897 said:
    @Yann897 said:
    "Give me Berry and Docherty any day over Dobson, People will soon see."

I have to agree, although unfortunately the rules don't allow us to replace one player with 2. We have to stick with 11 on the pitch at any one time. I would therefore prefer to have stuck with Dobbo.
    So two players that have proven it in the championship and you’d rather have mid table Dobson, I’m actually looking forward to people looking like fools once they see Berry and Docherty play.
    As neither Berry nor Docherty are defensive mids I struggle to get your point. The comparison will be with Coventry (sincerely hope he learns to tackle).
  • Southbank said:
    Yann897 said:
    @Yann897 said:

I have to agree, although unfortunately the rules don't allow us to replace one player with 2. We have to stick with 11 on the pitch at any one time. I would therefore prefer to have stuck with Dobbo.
    So two players that have proven it in the championship and you’d rather have mid table Dobson, I’m actually looking forward to people looking like fools once they see Berry and Docherty play.
    As neither Berry nor Docherty are defensive mids I struggle to get your point. The comparison will be with Coventry (sincerely hope he learns to tackle).
    Because someone said they’re rather have Dobson that’s why !
  • Southbank said:
    Yann897 said:
    @Yann897 said:

Didn’t someone put a post on here showing that coventrys tackle percentage was comparable to dobsons? 
  • Yann897 said:
    wmcf123 said:
    Yann897 said:
    https://x.com/gabsutton/status/1818179727657689368?s=46&t=h5Lx2bbeSHc7F8-dpZyDbA

An interesting read, Journalist predicting 4th for us.
    Decent preview but the paragraph....

'A high-pedigree group remains in commanding centre-back Lloyd Jones, intelligent left-sided defender Macauley Gillesphey, tenacious wing-back Tennai Watson, and Carrick-caricature Conor Coventry'. Feels like he's just picked a random few names out the bag, none of the those had a particularly good season last year at all. 
    He’s just never seen any of them play 
    He’s a league 1/2 journalist so I’m sure he has, yeah we had a bad season last season but we’ve seen glimpses of good players and they were decent at previous clubs it must be the Charlton curse but I’m not sure I get the fascination of slagging off our players at every opportunity we need to get behind them this season. 
    Comparing Coventry to Carrick suggests otherwise 
  • Yann897 said:
    @Yann897 said:

Dobson not in the same league as Berry and Docherty , he never played higher then league one mid table 
    So far
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!