Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Charlton Summer Transfer Rumours 2024

Comments

• I think we will look better against Pompey than we did at Wimbledon. In a similar way I think we will look better at Wigan than we do against Orient the week after. I think we will be good against teams that try and play with the Jones press winning the ball back high up the pitch against teams that will play out from the back 
  • Yann897 said:
    wmcf123 said:
    Yann897 said:
    wmcf123 said:
    Yann897 said:
    Wrexham will definitely be there or there abouts and anyone who says different doesn't understand how deep their pockets are and the momentum they have. 
    I can’t see it if o’Connell, Dobson and Lee are starting for them.
    Do you really think that Dobson deserves the same tarring at those two jokers ?  Dobbo really has become Semedo already.  
    If he is Semedo hopefully history repeats itself as no one wanted him to leave but we went on to win the league the next season but yes he’s better than the other two but I just don’t think he’s that great , great tackler but that’s about it and I think we’ll see that this season with a more mobile midfield.
    I think you’re going to be disappointed 
    We’re Charlton fans what’s new but I’m happy with Jones and the new signings yeah we need a couple more but if you can’t be optimistic before the seasons started then what’s the point.
    I’ve said it all along. I don’t expect one transfer window to solve our problems. It should solve some enough to improve on last seasons dismal performances but enough to achieve what we want in promotion ? I’m not convinced. I’m hoping to be challenging for top six but not expecting it. All things being equal with manager and ownership then season 25/26 is the acid test for me. I still think the club from top to bottom and not just the first eleven is still in transition.
    I’m expecting to be challenging for top 6 and hoping to get in it, so slightly more optimistic but agree with the overall point that this was never going to be a quick fix 
  • NabySarr said:
    Yann897 said:
    wmcf123 said:
    Yann897 said:
    wmcf123 said:
    Yann897 said:
    Wrexham will definitely be there or there abouts and anyone who says different doesn't understand how deep their pockets are and the momentum they have. 
    Do you really think that Dobson deserves the same tarring at those two jokers ?  Dobbo really has become Semedo already.  
    If he is Semedo hopefully history repeats itself as no one wanted him to leave but we went on to win the league the next season but yes he’s better than the other two but I just don’t think he’s that great , great tackler but that’s about it and I think we’ll see that this season with a more mobile midfield.
    We’re Charlton fans what’s new but I’m happy with Jones and the new signings yeah we need a couple more but if you can’t be optimistic before the seasons started then what’s the point.
    I’ve said it all along. I don’t expect one transfer window to solve our problems. It should solve some enough to improve on last seasons dismal performances but enough to achieve what we want in promotion ? I’m not convinced. I’m hoping to be challenging for top six but not expecting it. All things being equal with manager and ownership then season 25/26 is the acid test for me. I still think the club from top to bottom and not just the first eleven is still in transition.
    I’m expecting to be challenging for top 6 and hoping to get in it, so slightly more optimistic but agree with the overall point that this was never going to be a quick fix 
    Fair enough. At least you didn’t lol my post.
  • Didn't we beat Ipswich 6-1 who were in the league above in pre season then have an underwhelming season until Bowyer came in??
    I forgot about that game. That team lacked physicality and a proper striker or two. We lost in the playoffs which we likely would have missed out had Robinson stayed on. It’s a good example, going off both the result and performance we probably looked capable of challenging for the top 2.

https://www.charltonafc.com/news/view/597cb2962c0d4/pre-season-report-charlton-6-ipswich-town-1
  • sam3110 said:
    Southbank said:
    NabySarr said:
    Yann897 said:
    jondon76 said:
    Yann897 said:
    jondon76 said:
    Can't sign anyone else until players are sold, still well short imo so not good news.
    Well short is a stretch if we get Begovic we can put a good team out with a solid bench. Yeah another two would be nice but we’re not well short.
    If we want to get out of this league with Birmingham and Wrexham in it we are still well short of the quality needed imo, and Begovic hasn't signed yet that might depend on players going as well. 
    What quality have Wrexham got in this league?
    I would take Okonkwo in goal, Dobbo in midfield and Mullin up top against anyone we have at the moment. Very good spine to a team
    Mullin in l1? 

Dobson has spent three years playing for a lower mid table team 🫢
    Give me Berry and Docherty any day over Dobson, People will soon see.
    Dobson or Coventry is the question. Dobson is best in that holding midfield role, which is where Wrexham will play him, not where Jones was playing him. Berry and Docherty are different players so that’s not really the comparison. 

If things had gone differently then Dobson Docherty and Berry could have been our 3. I’d probably be more comfortable with that than what we have now, but Coventry definitely has it in him to be better, we just haven’t really seen it yet 
    When he learns to tackle
    Fucking yawn mate as I posted last time he's in the top 10% of tacklers per 90 mins last season, in the ENTIRETY OF LEAGUE 1, not even just midfielders. If you're going to peddle the same old tripe every post at least make it vaguely accurate 
    As I am a fair person, I went to the football stats page for Coventry https://fbref.com/en/players/a5ca9127/Conor-Coventry
    According to this he made 25 tackles in 17 games, just over one a game.
    Obviously there are lies, damn lies and statistics. From actually watching the matches he has played in he looks lightweight in the tackle, which for a defensive mid is not good. But let's hope he comes good, or we will be overrun in midfield.
  • Sponsored links:

• Yann897 said:
    https://x.com/gabsutton/status/1818179727657689368?s=46&t=h5Lx2bbeSHc7F8-dpZyDbA

An interesting read, Journalist predicting 4th for us.
    Decent preview but the paragraph....

'A high-pedigree group remains in commanding centre-back Lloyd Jones, intelligent left-sided defender Macauley Gillesphey, tenacious wing-back Tennai Watson, and Carrick-caricature Conor Coventry'. Feels like he's just picked a random few names out the bag, none of the those had a particularly good season last year at all. 
    He’s just never seen any of them play 
  • wmcf123 said:
    Yann897 said:
    https://x.com/gabsutton/status/1818179727657689368?s=46&t=h5Lx2bbeSHc7F8-dpZyDbA

'A high-pedigree group remains in commanding centre-back Lloyd Jones, intelligent left-sided defender Macauley Gillesphey, tenacious wing-back Tennai Watson, and Carrick-caricature Conor Coventry'. Feels like he's just picked a random few names out the bag, none of the those had a particularly good season last year at all. 
    He’s a league 1/2 journalist so I’m sure he has, yeah we had a bad season last season but we’ve seen glimpses of good players and they were decent at previous clubs it must be the Charlton curse but I’m not sure I get the fascination of slagging off our players at every opportunity we need to get behind them this season. 
  • Yann897 said:
    wmcf123 said:
    Yann897 said:
    wmcf123 said:
    Yann897 said:
    The issue is, this isn't their first transfer window!    Some may argue it's only their 2nd.   The January 2024 one was a farce - we tried to get rid of Dobson early, who the manager refused to sanction and even tried to keep after he'd left.

They also were in charge for Summer 2023 (they approved all of TS' transfer activity)

They even ran the January 2023 window for TS, who either employed them or brought them in as consultants.

Simply put - I think NJ is better than the rest of our SMT, but I don't believe our problems will be fully solved until Andy Scott isn't head of recruitment and CM isn't our CEO/Chairman/whatever you want to call him
  • MarcusH26 said:
    I don't see Wrexham as a threat yet at all. Signings are fine for this level but nothing wow. Still got a lot of work to do to be competitive. Just because they've been able to outspend and pay big wages in L2 and Non League doesn't mean that's going to be replicable in this league. 

Stockport I see as a bigger threat of the newly promoted sides - recruited very well and have an excellent manager in Challinor. They could easily be around the playoffs. Likes of Bolton,Rotherham and Huddersfield are a given to be big threats for automatics.

If we can get 3-4 more quality signings (I'd count begovic and Potts in that ) then I'd be confident we could be around that conversation. 
    Wrexham will be splashing the cash...
  • edited July 30
    Im in Spain for the week so haven't logged in here much. Thought I'd see what's happening.....

Just an awful lot of bed wetting it appears!!
    Anyway...there's always the beach, Sangria and señoritas to compensate, don't waste your holiday with Charlton mate, plenty of time for that when you get back......😎
  • Sponsored links:

• Yann897 said:

agreed top 6 then its who gets that bit of luck with injuries and. ref decisions both we been very unlucky with ..  
  • Scoham said:
    Didn't we beat Ipswich 6-1 who were in the league above in pre season then have an underwhelming season until Bowyer came in??
    I forgot about that game. That team lacked physicality and a proper striker or two. We lost in the playoffs which we likely would have missed out had Robinson stayed on. It’s a good example, going off both the result and performance we probably looked capable of challenging for the top 2.

https://www.charltonafc.com/news/view/597cb2962c0d4/pre-season-report-charlton-6-ipswich-town-1
    We had a decent squad that year, and looks a lot stronger than Ipswich had that season.. 
  • DubaiCAFC said:
    Scoham said:
    Didn't we beat Ipswich 6-1 who were in the league above in pre season then have an underwhelming season until Bowyer came in??

We had a decent squad that year, and looks a lot stronger than Ipswich had that season.. 
    Yet Ipswich finished 12th in the Championship and we finished 6th in L1.
  • Scoham said:

We actually started that season well though, winning 5 of our first 6 games, so the good preseason vibes did carry through to the start of the season.
  • Begović is giving me Ben Watson vibes / PTSD 
  • wmcf123 said:
    Yann897 said:

He has - multiple times. He goes to an EFL game most weekends and midweeks. I know for a fact that he was at the Cheltenham (A) win last season and came away from it full of praise for Conor Coventry, for example.
  • JonT_Abs said:
    Begović is giving me Ben Watson vibes / PTSD 
    Why, have we signed him? Haven’t seen anything anywhere?
  • I'm not sure that pre season friendlies give us any guide to the season ahead, the Millwall friendly last year at the Den gave a good indication of that. There was a euphoric feeling after that game, the kids were alright was certainly a phrased used, but it glossed over a paper thin squad, I will give Golfie a mention here because he was one of the first to point out that we were relying on kids to complete a squad, he and others were spot on. This pre season we have seen good and bad but if you were to base picking a team on the friendlies thus far, Zac Mitchell would probably start, Gassan Ahadme, would be benched. We need more creation, Thierry Small has been our most creative player but, as seems likely, he refuses a contract he could be gone, if not in this window then certainly the next, it is the reason that Josh Edwards was signed but he looks more like a full back rather than a wing back. We need that creator and an experienced keeper, then it's down to Nathan Jones to make it work, but he needs to get results quickly as the outlay, the board would argue, justifies results. 
  • JonT_Abs said:
    Begović is giving me Ben Watson vibes / PTSD 
    We’re so scarred as a fanbase that any player 30+ instantly makes most of us think of Arter and Watson.

Any minor injury is a sign a player is injury prone and never fit. Ahadme is already being see that way.
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!