Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Charlton Summer Transfer Rumours 2024

Comments

• JonT_Abs said:
    Begović is giving me Ben Watson vibes / PTSD 
    Why, has he signed? I must have missed that.
  • JonT_Abs said:
    I am a little worried we're signing a few too many 'on the way down' players rather than ones on the way up.

Individually look like reasonable signings, but Godden, Berry, and potentially Begovic are all over 32 so we could be working on those positions again soon rather than building on the signings being made.

Docherty makes more sense given he's still experienced but should have a good few years left in him yet.

Hopefully I'm wrong and they provide that bit of experience needed sometimes!
  • Rothko said:
    Begovic had a decent season in the Championship last year, he's a good signing if it happens 
    QPR fans don't seem to agree with the idea he was good last season but I hope you're right
  • JonT_Abs said:
    I am a little worried we're signing a few too many 'on the way down' players rather than ones on the way up.

Individually look like reasonable signings, but Godden, Berry, and potentially Begovic are all over 32 so we could be working on those positions again soon rather than building on the signings being made.

Docherty makes more sense given he's still experienced but should have a good few years left in him yet.

It all depends on the hunger of those players "on the way down", Arter was special case as believe he was actually injured but yeah some havent worked for us.

However people like Pratley did workout and when Yann signed for us he had flopped at Leicester and was the wrong side of thirty and it worked out.

Admittedly Yann was no Piotr Parzseyek though :D

• edited July 30
    Rothko said:
    Chunes said:
    Rothko said:
    Begovic had a decent season in the Championship last year, he's a good signing if it happens 
    QPR fans don't seem to agree with the idea he was good last season but I hope you're right
    Some QPR fans on one messageboard
    You can also search 'begovic #qpr' on twitter and you'll find a plethora of comments. They're overwhelmingly negative.

Like this thread when there was news about him potentially signing a new deal there: https://x.com/qpr_news82/status/1792442726455071029
  • Rothko said:
    Chunes said:
    Rothko said:
    He was basically ever present for QPR last season, which hardly suggests someone who was terrible.
    Don't follow the logic there. We've had a lot of 'ever present' players who turned out to be nowhere near good enough?
  • Sponsored links:

• Chunes said:
    Rothko said:
    Chunes said:
    Rothko said:
    You can also search 'begovic #qpr' on twitter and you'll find a plethora of comments. They're overwhelmingly negative.

Like this thread when there was news about him potentially signing a new deal there: https://x.com/qpr_news82/status/1792442726455071029
    Not likely to be positive when, like us they had such a poor season 
  • JonT_Abs said:

It all depends on the hunger of those players "on the way down", Arter was special case as believe he was actually injured but yeah some havent worked for us.

However people like Pratley did workout and when Yann signed for us he had flopped at Leicester and was the wrong side of thirty and it worked out.

Admittedly Yann was no Piotr Parzseyek though :D

Yann was 29 so just about the right side of 30.

Pedantic I know!
  • Chunes said:
    Rothko said:
    Chunes said:
    Rothko said:

Yeah, I'm going to make my mind up by some loud mouths on Twitter
  • edited July 30
    Rothko said:
    Chunes said:
    Rothko said:
    Chunes said:
    Rothko said:

When you say he had a decent season in the Championship last year, what are you actually basing that on?

I'm not entirely unhappy with Mannion & Begovic as our GKs. I'm just pointing out that it's very arguable Begovic had a poor season.
  • I read a comment that "Begovic gifted Plymouth 2 points" so looked up the game.

The goal is at 1:45 for anyone interested.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vIjn59o5DR4
  • Chunes said:
    I read a comment that "Begovic gifted Plymouth 2 points" so looked up the game.

He likes a flap at corners… did similar away at Millwall and at home against Cardiff, both ended up costing his team points.
  • edited July 30
    Rothko said:
    Chunes said:
    Rothko said:
    Chunes said:
    Rothko said:
    Chunes said:
    Rothko said:

When you say he had a decent season in the Championship last year, what are you actually basing that on?

I'm not entirely unhappy with Mannion & Begovic as our GKs. I'm just pointing out that it's very arguable Begovic had a poor season.
    6th best clean sheet record in the league, 12th best save percentage in the league, 11th best saves per 90. Stats look good, in what was a shit QPR team under Ainsworth. 

So, again, a few blowhards on Twitter aren't the judges you think they are
    I said "QPR fans don't seem to agree with the idea he had a decent season." Short of contacting YouGov for a mass survey I've shown that to be true. 

You seem to be conflating their view with mine. You think I'm saying he's shit because they're saying he's shit. I don't get it. 
  • Sponsored links:

• We have to give him a chance - we don’t have any other real choice. Unfortunately we’re onto our 3rd/4th choice option at this point.

Jones is convinced he doesn’t want loans, especially in a position like a goalkeeper, but a year of Steer/Rudd would leave me feeling a lot more positive than a year of Begovic.
  • Chunes said:

What about the six crappy defenders, don't they take any blame...🙄

signed :..A Begovic...
  • Chunes said:

Love how he completely misses it unchallenged, then flings his arms about like it's someone else's fault 😂  
  • edited July 30
    It’s been a weird summer for goalkeepers - missed out on Davies, missed out on Sinisalo, Birmingham sign two of them themselves, Millwall only ended up needing one because of what happened to Sarkic. Other examples I’m forgetting right now. Just feels like there’s been a lot of goalkeeper movement around the EFL this summer. 

Sometimes the chips fall the way they do and we haven’t got one of our primary targets. Perhaps we’ll get, hopefully, our long term no. 1 goalkeeper next year. Fingers crossed Begovic is good enough to plug the gap in the mean time.
    I'd certainly rather have Begovic coming in than continuing with AMB/Isted. Agree it's clear we missed out on our top targets and Begovic feels like that 1-year stopgap to get us to next summer and a more permanent GK signing. We could probably do a lot worse. 
  • edited July 30
    I can see us talking ourselves out of this guy before he's even signed  the contract…😏
  • The Begovic 'saga', reminds of when Ben Purrington left, and we went what 2 seasons? without a replacement, surely he can't be short of a shilling, wonder if he's changed his mind / failed a medical, i thought if it was going to happen , it would have been announced yesterday.

• I can see us talking ourselves out of this guy before he has even signed  the contract…😏
    It’s what our fans do sadly . 
  • Chunes said:
    Rothko said:
    Chunes said:
    Rothko said:
    He was basically ever present for QPR last season, which hardly suggests someone who was terrible.
    Don't follow the logic there. We've had a lot of 'ever present' players who turned out to be nowhere near good enough?

Ever present in the Championship sound fine to me for a keeper. 45/46 games to be precise in League.

So much negative spin is getting tiresome regarding this situation.
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!