Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Charlton Summer Transfer Rumours 2024

Comments

• DubaiCAFC said:
    Begovic is interest is correct, but not close from what I have been told. One of the keepers needs to go first, they don't want to be left with an inflated GK department. As I have been told, no offer has been made, but was given a tour.

I wonder if a deal for Isted or AMB has fallen through as Davies looked set to sign when we had 3 keepers. 
    We can afford to lose one of them without a replacement in the short term.
  • I think if we don't get Begovic we will probably look for a loan keeper.
    Begovic would be fairly similar to a loan keeper anyway due to his age 
  • Redhenry said:
    I would be staggered if Begovic signed for us to play 46+ games :)
    Why would he reject a Championship contract unless he wanted to play every week? 
  • DubaiCAFC said:
    Begovic is interest is correct, but not close from what I have been told. One of the keepers needs to go first, they don't want to be left with an inflated GK department. As I have been told, no offer has been made, but was given a tour.

I wonder if a deal for Isted or AMB has fallen through as Davies looked set to sign when we had 3 keepers. 
    Davies was offered a new deal nothing to do with us 
  • Redhenry said:
    I would be staggered if Begovic signed for us to play 46+ games :)
    True, we will have the league wrapped up after 40 and we will play our youth team for the other 6 
  • Keep up, I heard from a very close source but was a while ago, that he's not interested in playing full time anymore, age etc. He was looking for a number 2/3 keeper role...
  • Scoham said:
    Is this our final two fingers to Dobbo for chickening out of signing a new deal? 
  • I just don’t know about Begovic. I think some of the excitement I’ve seen is way overboard - are people just getting giddy because we haven’t had any signings in a couple of weeks?

Better than what we have in Isted & AMB probably. But doesn’t scream promotion goalkeeper at me. This feels more like a “NJ at Stoke” signing than it does “NJ at Luton” signing.

Hope I’m wrong if it does happen.
    We can’t afford to take a punt on someone coming good. A GK that has played at the highest level who reads the game, commands his box and respect of his defence is vocal and has confidence through experience is exactly what’s required to win promotion. 
    I hope your description of him is right because that would make me wrong about this one. Just feels like another Ben Watson waiting to happen.
  • Hardest part of all this keeper saga seems to be getting shot of the dross first, and I am loathed to say that we will probably end up with said dross come the first game of the season, this is very much in the balance as to whether we will ever get this supposed No1 in at all...🤦‍♂️
  • Sponsored links:

• DubaiCAFC said:

That's the point. 

If we wont have 4 keepers on the books, but had a deal in place for Davies until he u-turned, then either Begovic takes us over our salary budget and Davies which makes signing a 4h keeper an issue, or deal for a keeper to leave fell through.
  • 995632 said:
    I just don’t know about Begovic. I think some of the excitement I’ve seen is way overboard - are people just getting giddy because we haven’t had any signings in a couple of weeks?

Better than what we have in Isted & AMB probably. But doesn’t scream promotion goalkeeper at me. This feels more like a “NJ at Stoke” signing than it does “NJ at Luton” signing.

Begovic was long gone by the time Jones joined Stoke in 2019. He was with Chelsea in 2015.
    Think Callum means he wasn't the type of signing he would make at Stoke, not that he did sign him for Stoke. 

On a side note, really surprised it's been 9 years since he signed for Chelsea, I remember that and would have said it was more 2017/2018. 
    Yea this exactly.

One of Stoke fans’ big criticisms of Jones was that he overpaid for players who were on the decline. Very easy to make the argument that Begovic is in danger of falling into that category.
  • shirty5 said:
    FAVADDICK said:
    I think the biggest thing is rich hasn't shot down the rumour yet, but begovic would be a massive signing 
    At 6ft 6, that is massive for a Charlton goalkeeper 
    Read an article recently that stated Graham Tutt was 6ft 5, surely our tallest keeper?
    I think Lewis Ward was about about 6ft 5
    Jim Stannard was about 6'6

Wide.
  • swordfish said:
    I'm less concerned about signing a 37 year old with a long career behind him to play in goal than any other position. Surely Begovic is an improvement in quality. Bring it on.
    Can get three years out of him if he's kept himself in shape.
    A good goalkeeper can earn promotion as much as a goalscorer.
  • Pudds said:
    DubaiCAFC said:

That's the point. 

If we wont have 4 keepers on the books, but had a deal in place for Davies until he u-turned, then either Begovic takes us over our salary budget and Davies which makes signing a 4h keeper an issue, or deal for a keeper to leave fell through.
    No point trying to explain logic to Ronnie.
  • Dazzler21 said:
    Begovic feels a bit like Ben Foster at Wrexham, might do for a season, but not sure he's at an age or skill level still to contend in the league above. 

A 1 year deal, with a an option of another, may make sense from both a coaching of other keepers and to ensure he is still as good as we need him to be...
    He was literally contending in the league above a few weeks ago.

In any case, if he gets us up and out of this miserable league in the coming season, then it won't matter.
    Especially as while they didn't want him as their first choice next season, QPR still wanted him to stay. He's not someone being bombed out of QPR.

DubaiCAFC said:
    I still find it a bit surprising that so early on we brought in a new No 2 keeper, when we still had 2 keepers on our books. Yes players can get injured, but I don't think anyone would mind either AMB or Isted as the No 2, so long as the main keeper was a clear step up from them. 
    If they think Mannion has a greater ceiling than either of the other two, and we didn't secure an outright no.1 in the budget, then having Mannion in early to assess and develop makes sense.

Normally a club would have 3 keepers so if AMB and Isted aren't of the standard you always had to sign 2 and ship 1. If you don't land the no.1 for the budget you have available and the options out there are no better than Mannion pro rata'd to salary, then perhaps that's the hand you've been dealt and you have to get on with it.

Also having Mannion in the door means we can say to the potential keepers that we aren't desperate, but we would love them to join this promotion push. That might help bring expectations down re:salary and you can bill it as an opportunity to further develop as a coach.
  • clive said:
    DubaiCAFC said:
    William Fatty Foulke  Nowoci
    That's what I hope my "after" pic will look like.   He appears to be my goal weight. 

No pun intended.  Honestly.  
  • edited July 25
    Does anyone know or heard anything about this Begovic rumour?
  • Sponsored links:

• Does anyone know or heard anything about this Begovic rumour?
    There's a Begovic rumour? Fuck a duck!
  • 995632 said:
    I just don’t know about Begovic. I think some of the excitement I’ve seen is way overboard - are people just getting giddy because we haven’t had any signings in a couple of weeks?

Begovic was long gone by the time Jones joined Stoke in 2019. He was with Chelsea in 2015.
    Think Callum means he wasn't the type of signing he would make at Stoke, not that he did sign him for Stoke. 

On a side note, really surprised it's been 9 years since he signed for Chelsea, I remember that and would have said it was more 2017/2018. 
    Yea this exactly.

One of Stoke fans’ big criticisms of Jones was that he overpaid for players who were on the decline. Very easy to make the argument that Begovic is in danger of falling into that category.
    I mean surely it's a fact that Begovic currently is on the decline. We're just hoping that for one more season he can still do a job in League One. 

Obviously it's more difficult to say 'legs gone' with goalkeepers than outfield players. But it is a risk. 

I wouldn't mind it, hopefully he takes a big pay cut to mitigate the risk a bit. 
  • Redhenry said:
    Keep up, I heard from a very close source but was a while ago, that he's not interested in playing full time anymore, age etc. He was looking for a number 2/3 keeper role...
    By all accounts he wasn't going to be first choice at QPR anymore, so that doesn't hold up
  • Smithy said:
    Redhenry said:
    Keep up, I heard from a very close source but was a while ago, that he's not interested in playing full time anymore, age etc. He was looking for a number 2/3 keeper role...
    By all accounts he wasn't going to be first choice at QPR anymore, so that doesn't hold up
    I bet 3rd choice in the prem would mean more money than 2nd choice at QPR. Could be what he is supposedly looking for 
  • fenaddick said:
    Smithy said:
    Redhenry said:
    I bet 3rd choice in the prem would mean more money than 2nd choice at QPR. Could be what he is supposedly looking for 
    IWas it confirmed that he counts as home grown based on how long he's been in the country? If not I can't imagine a PL team would bother. 
  • edited July 25
    There's a Begovic rumour? Fuck a duck!
    They're harder to catch than what you think... Or so I'm told

• Talal said:
    Another day, same 'joke'. 
    Another day pages of repetitive posts, all repeating what others have already said, with almost next to no substance or foundation.
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!