Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Charlton Summer Transfer Rumours 2024

Comments

• I just don’t know about Begovic. I think some of the excitement I’ve seen is way overboard - are people just getting giddy because we haven’t had any signings in a couple of weeks?

Better than what we have in Isted & AMB probably. But doesn’t scream promotion goalkeeper at me. This feels more like a “NJ at Stoke” signing than it does “NJ at Luton” signing.

Hope I’m wrong if it does happen.
    We can’t afford to take a punt on someone coming good. A GK that has played at the highest level who reads the game, commands his box and respect of his defence is vocal and has confidence through experience is exactly what’s required to win promotion. 
    Already have … 
    Assume you mean Mannion?
  • Mannion is the prospect, I can dig Begovic coming in to be the veteran leader that shows him the way
  • i think Begovic is a great signing on paper, however i always wait until we see the player himself in our shirt. He was on talksport yesterday and from the things he was saying about his next club, im pretty convinced he will be our #1 this year. Last season in a poor QPR team, despite their fans assessment of him, he kept 12 clean sheets in 45 games. not bad going if you ask me in a side that looked destined to be in our league at one point.
  • Are people Fawning over Begovic because he's a player we actually know and used to be good? 

45 games in the Championship last season does excite me but he seems to get mixed reviews last season. Experienced keeper could be great for the defence and will help Mannion to come in as our number 1 soon, but something feels a bit off about it. I will ask my QPR mate his thoughts on him. 
    Thanks and as soon as you’ve heard back from your QPR mate, and shared his intel’ here, we’ll be sure to pass it on ASAP to Nathan and co. Important to keep the lines of communication open. 
  • I just don’t know about Begovic. I think some of the excitement I’ve seen is way overboard - are people just getting giddy because we haven’t had any signings in a couple of weeks?

Better than what we have in Isted & AMB probably. But doesn’t scream promotion goalkeeper at me. This feels more like a “NJ at Stoke” signing than it does “NJ at Luton” signing.

Begovic was long gone by the time Jones joined Stoke in 2019. He was with Chelsea in 2015.
  • edited July 25
    995632 said:
    I just don’t know about Begovic. I think some of the excitement I’ve seen is way overboard - are people just getting giddy because we haven’t had any signings in a couple of weeks?

Begovic was long gone by the time Jones joined Stoke in 2019. He was with Chelsea in 2015.
    Think Callum means he wasn't the type of signing he would make at Stoke, not that he did sign him for Stoke. 

On a side note, really surprised it's been 9 years since he signed for Chelsea, I remember that and would have said it was more 2017/2018. 
  • edited July 25
    Begovic feels a bit like Ben Foster at Wrexham, might do for a season, but not sure he's at an age or skill level still to contend in the league above. 

A 1 year deal, with a an option of another, may make sense from both a coaching of other keepers and to ensure he is still as good as we need him to be...
  • Are people Fawning over Begovic because he's a player we actually know and used to be good? 

45 games in the Championship last season does excite me but he seems to get mixed reviews last season. Experienced keeper could be great for the defence and will help Mannion to come in as our number 1 soon, but something feels a bit off about it. I will ask my QPR mate his thoughts on him. 
    Thanks and as soon as you’ve heard back from your QPR mate, and shared his intel’ here, we’ll be sure to pass it on ASAP to Nathan and co. Important to keep the lines of communication open. 
    zzzzzzzzz
  • Sponsored links:

• Dazzler21 said:
    Begovic feels a bit like Ben Foster at Wrexham, might do for a season, but not sure he's at an age or skill level still to contend in the league above. 

A 1 year deal, with a an option of another, may make sense from both a coaching of other keepers and to ensure he is still as good as we need him to be...
    When the players are spraying champagne from the top of the open top bus next May, I doubt anyone will care that Begovic isn't a long term signing  ;)
  • It’s obvious that Jones doesn’t consider any of our three current keepers ready to start the season as number one. Mannion is also obviously considered to be the medium term future. In the short term Jones wants experience not potential. All of the GK’s we’ve been linked to and missed out on fit that bill of experience and age. No idea whether Begovic will sign but he fits the profile of what we’ve been looking for.
    Yep totally agree. Have to say I'd prefer a Walton or even a Davies who we missed out on but Begovic fits the bill seemingly as we were after Ruddy and they're the same age. I wouldn't even say Begovic is option 4, I think we made an approach earlier, was probably rebuffed or he wanted too much money and then the circumstances have changed. 
  • Dazzler21 said:

If QPR are unsure about him, I definitely wouldn't want him as No1 in 25/26 season in the champ. But not concerned about that, think he's got enough in him to be a decent League 1 keeper right now. 

zzzzzzzzz
    🤗😘
  • Interesting that a good number of people are shooting Begovic down but were happy with Adam Davies who has been a number 2 for a few seasons now and only really done it at Barnsley (which keeper have we heard that about before???)
  • edited July 25
    I just don’t know about Begovic. I think some of the excitement I’ve seen is way overboard - are people just getting giddy because we haven’t had any signings in a couple of weeks?

It feels like we didn't get our first, second or even third-choice goalkeeper so we're moving on to a short-term solution - then maybe we will revisit again next Summer. But we could probably do worse than bringing in Begovic as that stop-gap.

But I do agree with you: I'm unconvinced about him being exactly what we need as a #1 for this season. 
  • Interesting that a good number of people are shooting Begovic down but were happy with Adam Davies who has been a number 2 for a few seasons now and only really done it at Barnsley (which keeper have we heard that about before???)
    Don't think anyone is shooting Begovic down, more that just because he is a big name doesn't mean he will necessarily be a good fit. 
  • Sponsored links:

• edited July 25
    Chunes said:

It feels like we didn't get our first, second or even third-choice goalkeeper so we're moving on to a short-term solution - then maybe we will revisit again next Summer. But we could probably do worse than bringing in Begovic as that stop-gap.

But I do agree with you: I'm unconvinced about him being exactly what we need as a #1 for this season. 
    Honestly don't think that's the case here, I think Begovic was identified earlier but not a goer for whatever reason (too much money, wanted to stay Champ or be a Prem No3) but things have changed. 

One of those options were clearly Ruddy too, so even if he was higher up the list, he would be a short-term solution too. 
  • DubaiCAFC said:
    Begovic is interest is correct, but not close from what I have been told. One of the keepers needs to go first, they don't want to be left with an inflated GK department. As I have been told, no offer has been made, but was given a tour.
    I do get why they signed Mannion, because if we didn't, someone else probably would have and Jones clearly doesn't rate AMB or Isted. However, that's now a bit of a pickle where we've got 3 keepers, all of whom reasonable enough as No2 but not trusted to be No1 and relying on getting rid to sign one. Which we know hasn't worked out too well recently. 
  • I would be staggered if Begovic signed for us to play 46+ games :)
  • DubaiCAFC said:
    Begovic is interest is correct, but not close from what I have been told. One of the keepers needs to go first, they don't want to be left with an inflated GK department. As I have been told, no offer has been made, but was given a tour.

I wonder if a deal for Isted or AMB has fallen through as Davies looked set to sign when we had 3 keepers. 
  • Dazzler21 said:

He was literally contending in the league above a few weeks ago.

In any case, if he gets us up and out of this miserable league in the coming season, then it won't matter.
    Especially as while they didn't want him as their first choice next season, QPR still wanted him to stay. He's not someone being bombed out of QPR.

DubaiCAFC said:
    I still find it a bit surprising that so early on we brought in a new No 2 keeper, when we still had 2 keepers on our books. Yes players can get injured, but I don't think anyone would mind either AMB or Isted as the No 2, so long as the main keeper was a clear step up from them. 
  • I think if we don't get Begovic we will probably look for a loan keeper.
  • DubaiCAFC said:

I wonder if a deal for Isted or AMB has fallen through as Davies looked set to sign when we had 3 keepers. 
    Possible that we have signed players since and not really got rid of anyone so the budget is up and we've got to reduce squad until we buy. Which is fair enough IMO as squad is way too big. 

Yes, he has pedigree above the division we're in.
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!