Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Charlton Summer Transfer Rumours 2024

Comments

• NabySarr said:
    Personally thought REG looked very decent in the second half of last season. I would probably have him starting alongside Mitchell & Jones at this stage.
    Needs to be balanced though, who plays on the left? That’s why we need Potts (or another leftie) signed as our next CB.

I really can’t see that being the starting 3. Gillesphey will be a guaranteed starter, unless Potts or another left footer is brought in 

My starting 3 would be Ramsay, Mitchell, Gillesphey based on pre-season so far. If Ramsay is needed at wing back then REG or Jones would come in 
    Ramsay is surely a wing-back, especially as don't think Asiimwe or Watson are good enough to be regularly starting. 
    Not from what we’ve seen in pre season. 
  • Just thought i'd bring up Andy Delort for no reason
    Next thing you know...someone will be mentioning his Dad.......ohhhh.
  • sam3110 said:
    Why are we suddenly saying we're selling REG? He's only not featured due to injury

Same as a few weeks ago everyone decided we were selling Taylor based on him not playing the back end of last season
    My personal assumption is based on the fact we're now seemingly in the market for a LCB. Let's assume we sign Potts, I still think we'd be looking for a Bradley type figure in the centre. So it would be Gillesphey/Potts on the left, Bradley/Jones for the centre and then the two Mitchells and REG to the right. 

Just guessing that having 6 senior CB's might be a little bit too much and with Z.Mitchell impressing, REG is the obvious candidate to go, but yeah to be honest it's just guesswork but can see it happening. 

Take your point about Taylor, but with Taylor's injuries, the theory of giving him a mini pre-season does make sense. Obviously it's entirely possible Jones was continuing to look at Thomas/Hector but his exclusion for the last few games aswell as the above makes a bit of sense to me. 

Personally not convinced by the defence if we just sign Potts and lose Ness. Not convinced either Jones or REG good enough to be promotion winning regulars, wasn't blown away by Gillesphey and Potts' injuries are also a slight concern. 
    Exactly .  Lots of assumptions we are better but there were serious question marks about Jones and Gillesphey last season - Mitchell may (haven’t seen him play) be the only upgrade . 
  • Yann897 said:
    NabySarr said:
    Personally thought REG looked very decent in the second half of last season. I would probably have him starting alongside Mitchell & Jones at this stage.
    Needs to be balanced though, who plays on the left? That’s why we need Potts (or another leftie) signed as our next CB.

I really can’t see that being the starting 3. Gillesphey will be a guaranteed starter, unless Potts or another left footer is brought in 

My starting 3 would be Ramsay, Mitchell, Gillesphey based on pre-season so far. If Ramsay is needed at wing back then REG or Jones would come in 
    Ramsay is surely a wing-back, especially as don't think Asiimwe or Watson are good enough to be regularly starting. 
    Not from what we’ve seen in pre season. 
    Couple of pre-season games doesn't change his position IMO. He is being played there because we're a little short at CB but have two other RWB's, same as Edwards on the left side. 

I've commented saying I wouldn't be surprised if REG is offloaded, but if I'm totally wrong then he would be playing instead of Ramsay in pre-season. 
  • sam3110 said:
    I can still see the above but with Edun staying as a third choice at left back and midfield cover. That way Jones has essentially 3 options in each position, with a couple of oval pegs in round holes

GK New, Mannion, AMB
    RWB Ramsay, Watson, Asiimwe 
    RCB REG, Z.Mitchell, Ramsay
    CB A.Mitchell, Jones, REG
    LCB Gillesphey, Potts, Edwards 
    LWB Small, Edwards, Edun
    CM Docherty, Taylor, Edun
    CM Coventry, Anderson, Bishop
    AM Berry, Campbell, Anderson
    ST Godden, Kanu, Campbell 
    ST Ahadme, Leaburn, Aneke

Without Edun in there, midfield and LWB might be a bit light, unless Jones believes Watson on the left or even Potts is a viable option in a crisis
    Can't see the squad being that big, what's that 28 players? Don't think there is a concern at LB/LWB, Watson could play there in an emergency or Potts LB in a 4. Small could do a job for a game or two at RWB so don't think there's a chance we keep all 6 of the players capable of FB. I still expect either Asiimwe or Z.Mitchell to go out on loan and Edun to be sold from your list. 
  • edited July 23
    Ok, this is how I see it.

IN
    Dunno
    Dunno
    Dunno
    ?

OUT
    Dunno
    Dunno
    Dunno
    Dunno
    Dunno

That I think, sums it up nicely from my perspective.
    From my perspective I think you know fuck all.
    ...Doors open mate...why not fill in the blanks...🤷‍♂️
  • Sponsored links:

• Dan Potts - not for me,  Old Pals Act.
    We need another full back like i need a smaller dick ...

...What a wonderful analogy...😂
  • Worth remembering that the different CB roles aren't really that interchangeable, there are certain spots that some players will excel in and some will not. The way Jones sets up is his central CB is a bastard who puts in challenges, wins headers and makes the centre forward's life miserable. The RCB and LCB are expected to see a fair amount of the ball and send it up to the wingbacks or further to get the ball up the pitch quickly. They've also got to be able to get across to cover the space the WB will vacate if there's a turnover of possession. They have to be mobile, relatively comfortable on the ball and ideally have a bit of pace to support their WB a bit and get out to and marshal opposition wingers. 
    Lloyd looked very good in the few times he played for Jones. We held a Lincoln side that went on to beat everybody for a while, drew with Derby and kept a clean sheet against Pompey. I'd rather put Isted at RCB than Lloyd but when he only has to think about clearing things and giving the ball to the CB next to him he's pretty effective. REG on the other hand isn't really physical or aggressive enough to go in that central role but his speed and versatility make him a useful option at RCB. Even though Lloyd and REG on paper play in the same position you wouldn't swap them round. Same with Gillesphey, he's closer to a left back than his is a central CB. Alex Mitchell can fill RCB or CB because he's quick and a monster but you have to imagine Jones is grouping them per spot not as an overall bunch. At the moment I think we'll see Mitchell-Lloyd-Gillesphey on day one.
  • Dan Potts - not for me,  Old Pals Act.
    We need another full back like i need a smaller dick ...

He not a full back 
  • Can't wait for the season to start. 
    This thread is doing my head in 
    'fraid the season starting won't have any effect on this thread...🙄
  • One that has been previously mentioned, Lawrence Vigouroux has joined Swansea from Burnley.
  • Sponsored links:

• Solidgone said:
    I don’t think we need anymore goalies when we’ve now got defenders that can defend🥸
    On this note, after the flurry of excitement when we did have our 2-3 week period of announcing signings. We have only signed 1 centre back so far, despite letting two go and Ness clearly on the way out. I know some will say Josh Edwards is additionally a centre half but looks like he has spent more of his career as a winger as opposed to a centre back! I do hope we seem some more movement soon
    Solidgone said:
    I don’t think we need anymore goalies when we’ve now got defenders that can defend🥸
    On this note, after the flurry of excitement when we did have our 2-3 week period of announcing signings. We have only signed 1 centre back so far, despite letting two go and Ness clearly on the way out. I know some will say Josh Edwards is additionally a centre half but looks like he has spent more of his career as a winger as opposed to a centre back! I do hope we seem some more movement soon
    Stop panicking FFS!
  • Ben Wilson, goalkeeper at Coventry is on his final year and looks like he will be going down to their No 3 this season. No rumour but hopefully is on the radar.
  • Shrew said:
    Ben Wilson, goalkeeper at Coventry is on his final year and looks like he will be going down to their No 3 this season. No rumour but hopefully is on the radar.

Now that would be a smart signing. Can't see him getting many games with the Swedish international keeper they've just signed and Brad Colins ahead of him. Offers a threat from setpieces too - scored the other season ;) 
  • Is he any good though?
  • iaitch said:
    Is he any good though?
    Was their Goalkeeper when they got the Play-Off Final against Luton.
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!