Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Charlton Summer Transfer Rumours 2024

Comments

• i don't expect us to sign anymore other than those 3 on trial. Bishop, Hylton and Potts will conclude our business. 
  • CAFCDAZ said:
    i don't expect us to sign anymore other than those 3 on trial. Bishop, Hylton and Potts will conclude our business. 

Plus a new keeper who i think will be where the bulk of the remaining budget will go. 

• CAFCDAZ said:
    i don't expect us to sign anymore other than those 3 on trial. Bishop, Hylton and Potts will conclude our business. 
    Another keeper is a priority. 
  • thenewbie said:
    CAFCDAZ said:
    Think @Swisdom pretty definitively ruled Hylton out

As a player. I have a feeling he will be a coach but signed on to cover until Miles is back. 
  • CAFCDAZ said:

Plus a new keeper who i think will be where the bulk of the remaining budget will go. 

i'll be surprised to be honest. I think that was always the plan but i feel like our top 3 options have all made decisions on their futures, so are we really getting an upgrade?
  • CAFCDAZ said:
    CAFCDAZ said:

i'll be surprised to be honest. I think that was always the plan but i feel like our top 3 options have all made decisions on their futures, so are we really getting an upgrade?
    That's just football though. They were 3 confirmed targets, doesn't mean we don't have others. So many keepers around that are a step up on what we have (I don't know about Mannion, as I haven't seen enough)
  • Sponsored links:

• CAFCDAZ said:
    CAFCDAZ said:

We most likely will be, that's probably actually why it's taking longer. We missed out on the first choices but instead of a Sandgaard style signing for the sake of it we're looking further afield and holding fire to make sure we get someone who definitely IS an upgrade.

If we get right up to the season start and no new keeper, then I will be a bit more worried but at the moment I've seen enough in this window that I feel like lessons have been learned and things are still going well.
  • No-one has said this yet, not ITK but we need a keeper, and Hylton could be bought in as a coach / emergency striker (my source - every other frickin’ post on this thread). Plus we need a playmaker. Also, Dobbo is going nowhere. Shut this thread down. 
  • sam3110 said:
    MarcusH26 said:
    I'd expect Bishop,Potts and a keeper as a minimum. Having all the loan slots available does give us options if late in the window someone of significant quality came up. 

Out - Fraser, Isted,AMB,Edun, Ness, Asiimwe (loan) 
    I think Edun stays as midfield cover, and Asiimwe too, especially if Ramsay is used as an overlapping RCB. 

One keeper out (Jones likes 3 keepers) leaving the other as backup alongside Mannion, behind a new keeper.

Ness will go surely as he's played no part in pre season but hasn't been mentioned as injured. 

Fraser will be shifted along as his wages are high and his output is low. 

Potts, Bishop, a keeper and if we get to the end of the window and pick up a couple of injuries I expect cover for that on loan, but that's about it. 

Is it a promotion squad? Probably not, but hopefully it's a decent base to build upon in the next couple of windows

Edun is a real conundrum , started off as a CM at Fulham so it's not an alien position to him. Ironically Micky Apples made him a fullback at Lincoln. But if you have Small/Edwards and Potts that can all play left back then that makes things awkward. 

Keepers are awkward especially third choice unless you're someone like a Lewis Ward who seems to go around the EFL being a perennial backup. Could see Isted being the more likely to go. 

Feels like a strong base but I'd like a couple of finishing pieces that could just take it over the top. 
  • edited July 22
    There be another keeper coming in 
  • ✍️ Bradley Dack in talks with Gillingham about a return to the club.
  • Sponsored links:

• thenewbie said:
    CAFCDAZ said:
    CAFCDAZ said:

We most likely will be, that's probably actually why it's taking longer. We missed out on the first choices but instead of a Sandgaard style signing for the sake of it we're looking further afield and holding fire to make sure we get someone who definitely IS an upgrade.

If we get right up to the season start and no new keeper, then I will be a bit more worried but at the moment I've seen enough in this window that I feel like lessons have been learned and things are still going well.
    I'd be interested to know what you mean by further afield as under Sandgaard and when SG was at the club, we literally scouted England and Scotland, nowhere else. So i'd be happy and also surprised to see us get anyone outside of the EFL/SFL. 
  • edited July 22
    CAFCDAZ said:
    thenewbie said:
    CAFCDAZ said:
    CAFCDAZ said:

I'd be interested to know what you mean by further afield as under Sandgaard and when SG was at the club, we literally scouted England and Scotland, nowhere else. So i'd be happy and also surprised to see us get anyone outside of the EFL/SFL. 
    Well I'm not remotely ITK so no idea what the plans actually are - but the likes of Ruddy and Davies were fairly big names as far as keepers go, even fairly casual fans were likely to recognise the names if they signed.

Instead we've got to start looking at maybe lesser known names, probably going to end up with someone most of us won't know much about (but will have very strong opinions about anyway ;))
  • Regarding Nathan Baxter, and whether he'd come to Charlton - I can safely say he'd be interested in theory. As has been pointed out, he's local, and given a lot of us who played cricket with him are CAFC fans, there's an affinity there in some respects.

But it almost certainly wouldn't be this summer. He's at a side that so nearly were promoted last season, with a manager who is playing football in such a way that Nathan can continue to develop his game, and he's liking the dressing room and club feel there. Why would he move to what is evidently more of a "project" this summer?
  • PaddyP17 said:
    Regarding Nathan Baxter, and whether he'd come to Charlton - I can safely say he'd be interested in theory. As has been pointed out, he's local, and given a lot of us who played cricket with him are CAFC fans, there's an affinity there in some respects.

But it almost certainly wouldn't be this summer. He's at a side that so nearly were promoted last season, with a manager who is playing football in such a way that Nathan can continue to develop his game, and he's liking the dressing room and club feel there. Why would he move to what is evidently more of a "project" this summer?
    I think some players are attracted to a project and being in on it from the start must be hugely satisfying. Nathan Jones has also been successful with a similar project at Luton. I'd also add that he joined Bolton for a project that seems to have stalled a bit.

If I were him I'd probably still wait a year though. If he has a good season you'd imagine he'll be in the Championship for 25/26, whether that is with Bolton or someone who would take him on a free. Never know, that might be us.
  • _MrDick said:
    There be another keeper coming in 
    Is that a clue … we’re signing a pirate 🏴‍☠️ 
    Melusi Buthelezi it is then.
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!