Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Charlton Summer Transfer Rumours 2024

Comments

• Not a rumour but wonder if we are considering Nathan Baxter at Bolton for our keeper position.

Originally from London.

Bolton have 3 senior keepers on their books including Southwold whom they signed this summer. 

Baxter has 12 months left on his contract. 

He also recently got a degree in history (not relevant but kinda impressive as not many footballers do that!).

Would definitely be on my list of targets. They completely fell apart when he got injured last season , one of the reasons we got anything up there was him not playing and their backline having no confidence in Coleman their no2. They wouldn't have signed Southwood from Cheltenham to just sit on the bench for the season so I'd stick a cheeky bid in for Baxter for sure. 
  • This is the most recent info I can find on Baxter’s situation (and others) around two weeks ago.

Contract up next summer and won’t be offered a new one, yet. But at the same time, he’s considered no. 1 and it’ll take a decent offer for Bolton to let him go.

https://www.theboltonnews.co.uk/sport/24430356.bolton-wanderers-wait-contracts-10-first-team-stars/
  • Most recent seasons we have relied on bolstering our squad with loan players. This worked out in the promotion season but otherwise has had lesser effectiveness.

The squad is looking stronger than a while and also high in numbers. Does anyone think that there are gaps in the squad that would warrant bringing in a decent loan player. Goal keeper (in the mould of Scott Carson) could be one but other than that I'm not sure
  • We can't afford him given all the Championship interest, but Palarse are looking to offload Jes, Hull City, QPR & Sheffield Utd dealt Jesurun Rak-Sakyi blow by Southampton as £7m offer placed (footballleagueworld.co.uk).
  • ButtleJR said:
    Probably out of reach but wonder if we could persuade Marek rodak to drop down. Released by Fulham and a very decent tall keeper. 
    I was just about to post this, probably got interest from higher but I’d be surprised if we weren’t looking at him. 
  • Sponsored links:

• buckshee said:
    ButtleJR said:
    Probably out of reach but wonder if we could persuade Marek rodak to drop down. Released by Fulham and a very decent tall keeper. 
    I was just about to post this, probably got interest from higher but I’d be surprised if we weren’t looking at him. 
    Just looked at stats and looks like he has barely played any games since the 21/22 season

• buckshee said:
    ButtleJR said:
    Just looked at stats and looks like he has barely played any games since the 21/22 season

That's because he's been their back up keeper in the prem I believe. 
  • ButtleJR said:
    How much would his wages be at Fulham though ? £15 - £20k at least ? Yes he will need to take a haircut with his next contract but I’d think the gap between what we’re able to offer and what he’d get from Championship clubs would make this a complete non starter even if he was interested in dropping two divisions. I’m filing this one as highly unlikely. 
  • ButtleJR said:
    I’ve seen reports that championship clubs are struggling with his wage demands so I can’t see it
  • Rodak would be a good move but if even championship clubs can't reach a deal because of wages we don't stand a chance. Good keeper though 
  • ButtleJR said:
    How much would his wages be at Fulham though ? £15 - £20k at least ? Yes he will need to take a haircut with his next contract but I’d think the gap between what we’re able to offer and what he’d get from Championship clubs would make this a complete non starter even if he was interested in dropping two divisions. I’m filing this one as highly unlikely. 
    Charlie's penny pinching means we can't even match £15 a week, dark times ahead :neutral:. I would love us to sign Rodak, if not so we can move on from this first choice goalkeeper conversation and get him in and working with the defence in front of him. 
  • PWADDICK said:
    ButtleJR said:
    I’ve seen reports that championship clubs are struggling with his wage demands so I can’t see it
    Despite my post seemingly to the contrary, at some point Marek will need to lower his expectations or be without a club. The gap between what he’ll eventually get in The Championship and what we could offer is still way way too much. 
  • Derby County or Birmingham City are both sniffing.
  • I felt very good about our summer business 10-14 days ago and still do. I said then that the only missing piece was a goalkeeper, and that is still the case.

No need to panic yet but is starting to get to that time where it’s less than ideal that a player isn’t in the building yet. We need another defender and midfielder but neither are as critical as the goalkeeper.

Encouraged that Sinisalo was a target - he’d have been my first choice so a shame that he’s gone to Celtic.
    Do we not also still need a creative midfielder who adds a goal threat? That for me would be a key signing. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Hal1x said:
    Derby County or Birmingham City are both sniffing.
    Are there lots of colds in the Midlands then?
    3 for 80 instead of 3 for 100 round those parts 
  • JamesSeed said:
    I felt very good about our summer business 10-14 days ago and still do. I said then that the only missing piece was a goalkeeper, and that is still the case.

No need to panic yet but is starting to get to that time where it’s less than ideal that a player isn’t in the building yet. We need another defender and midfielder but neither are as critical as the goalkeeper.

Encouraged that Sinisalo was a target - he’d have been my first choice so a shame that he’s gone to Celtic.
    Do we not also still need a creative midfielder who adds a goal threat? That for me would be a key signing. 
    Not necessarily. Jones style seems to favour high pressure and lots of pressing rather than intricate play to find the "right" pass - lots of crosses from wide and over the top for strikers to fight for rather than through balls that they run onto. Berry and Docherty both seem to quite like a ping from distance too so a goal threat there.

A playmaker type would be a nice addition as a Plan B but I really don't think it's something Jones is actively seeking.
  • JamesSeed said:
    I felt very good about our summer business 10-14 days ago and still do. I said then that the only missing piece was a goalkeeper, and that is still the case.

I think Jones will expect goals from Berry and Docherty. They’re here to be regulars so I’m not convinced another midfielder will be an attacking one who’s also expected to be a starter.
  • thenewbie said:
    JamesSeed said:

Not necessarily. Jones style seems to favour high pressure and lots of pressing rather than intricate play to find the "right" pass - lots of crosses from wide and over the top for strikers to fight for rather than through balls that they run onto. Berry and Docherty both seem to quite like a ping from distance too so a goal threat there.

A playmaker type would be a nice addition as a Plan B but I really don't think it's something Jones is actively seeking.
    Oh ok. I haven’t been following as closely as I’d like. 
    Looking forward to Saturday’s AFCW match though. 
  • Just want to confirm and surprisingly no one appears to have mentioned it?

We need a creative midfielder, can’t understand how this has been overlooked!
  • Derby County or Birmingham City are both sniffing.
    It would be completely obscene for Birmingham to bring in a 3rd, 1st choice goalkeeper. So naturally I expect them to offer him £30k p/w

There's championship clubs with worse keeper options than Brum have ATM. 
  • Feels a bit of a gap since signing Doherty on the 5th July.

No meltdown or need for overly defensive responses, just an observation!
  • If there is money Nathan Baxter would be a good spend.
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!