Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Charlton Summer Transfer Rumours 2024

Comments

• edited July 10
    Is begovic actually realistic?
    Seen him mentioned a few times 
  • If we were after Ruddy then I don't see why not for Begovic, I think he is a better goalkeeper.
  • Swisdom said:
    Richard J said:
    Swisdom said:
    wmcf123 said:
    wmcf123 said:
    Bishop played 33 times last season, 21 were starts and he averaged 58 minutes per appearance.

22/23: 24 apps, 19 starts, 61 mins per app

21/22: 36 apps, 28 starts, 67 mins per app

20/21: 36 apps, 28 starts, 65 mins per app

He’d be fine as a squad player behind Berry, Docherty, Coventry who I fully expect to be the first choice three.

I reckon he’s an upgrade on Bakinson, Fraser, Louie Watson who all made 20-30 appearances for us last season.
    I really hope we are going to use 3 strikers at times .  

For some reason this always gets lost in translation but we will use 3 forwards/strikers/goal threats(more than 3 with midfielders in and around the box) but they won't all take up the central attacking position.
    In a 2 you would hope they play off each other and in a 3 one would go wider when needs must or the wing back is busy defending and not over lapping.
    Flexibility is the key and since when has football been a static game 🤔
    Ok in England's group games !
    In a league 1 I would be amazed if we copied Southgate and did a low block. 
    In a 4231, you’d play 4 attacking players .  In a 352, you should be able to play at least 3.  Last year , we seemed to play with 5 defenders and 3 defensively minded midfielders.  I am not suggesting you play 3 central forwards that stand next to the last defender 

Nathan Jones wants the two central strikers this season in Plan A in a 3-5-2 with wing backs.
    With Jones saying Campbell may play more central it's obvious the width will come from the wing backs or attacking backs(if 4 at back) this season plus the ability of the likes of Kanu to play like a Taylor and Grant who could play wide and central during a match depending on the needs and state of the game.
    We will need 4 players during the 100 minutes to play in the 2 up front so with Part time Chuks and still not fit Miles we need to perm any 4 from 6 strikers to occupy the front 2 positions 

In many games I have watched Charlton play, the
    4-2-3-1 didn't have 4 attacking players in as the 3 players behind the lone striker couldn't hit a cow's arse with a banjo.

What ever Nathan Jones decides on formations we need fit players with skill and movement and potentially 16 players on it come match day. 
    I doubt want to hear the boys trained hard and then we are poor in games.

Q. As it stands who will be the number 1 keeper if no other keeper comes in or is it a Shay Given that a new keeper is on his way ?
    I believe a new keeper has been identified but he won't be in Slovenia

Davies of Sheff Utd dicked us around apparently....an failed the medical.  Everything happens for a reason I guess
    Davies failed the medical or was it another keeper?
    Delayed coming down, kept coming up with excuses, then failed the medical and so signed an extension at Sheff Utd.
    I bet NJ didn't expect that behaviour from a player he previously brought in on a season long loan. 

It does show that NJ isn't against the loan market. Some have misconstrued his words from an interview given last season.
  • Swisdom said:
    Richard J said:
    Swisdom said:
    wmcf123 said:
    wmcf123 said:
    Bishop played 33 times last season, 21 were starts and he averaged 58 minutes per appearance.

He’d be fine as a squad player behind Berry, Docherty, Coventry who I fully expect to be the first choice three.

I reckon he’s an upgrade on Bakinson, Fraser, Louie Watson who all made 20-30 appearances for us last season.

For some reason this always gets lost in translation but we will use 3 forwards/strikers/goal threats(more than 3 with midfielders in and around the box) but they won't all take up the central attacking position.
    In a 2 you would hope they play off each other and in a 3 one would go wider when needs must or the wing back is busy defending and not over lapping.
    In a 4231, you’d play 4 attacking players .  In a 352, you should be able to play at least 3.  Last year , we seemed to play with 5 defenders and 3 defensively minded midfielders.  I am not suggesting you play 3 central forwards that stand next to the last defender 

Nathan Jones wants the two central strikers this season in Plan A in a 3-5-2 with wing backs.
    With Jones saying Campbell may play more central it's obvious the width will come from the wing backs or attacking backs(if 4 at back) this season plus the ability of the likes of Kanu to play like a Taylor and Grant who could play wide and central during a match depending on the needs and state of the game.
    We will need 4 players during the 100 minutes to play in the 2 up front so with Part time Chuks and still not fit Miles we need to perm any 4 from 6 strikers to occupy the front 2 positions 

4-2-3-1 didn't have 4 attacking players in as the 3 players behind the lone striker couldn't hit a cow's arse with a banjo.

What ever Nathan Jones decides on formations we need fit players with skill and movement and potentially 16 players on it come match day. 

Q. As it stands who will be the number 1 keeper if no other keeper comes in or is it a Shay Given that a new keeper is on his way ?

Davies of Sheff Utd dicked us around apparently....an failed the medical.  Everything happens for a reason I guess
    Davies failed the medical or was it another keeper?
    Delayed coming down, kept coming up with excuses, then failed the medical and so signed an extension at Sheff Utd.
    Thanks
  • Swisdom said:
    wmcf123 said:
    wmcf123 said:

I really hope it's not Lumley in the cross hairs as some have suggested 
  • Sponsored links:

• I think I’m in a minority on here but I think AMB is a much better keeper than Isted. 
    He saves shots whereas Isted pretty much never does ! 
    The mask thing is not helpful, it would be much better if he could play without it. 
    His distribution is a weakness but with better more confident defenders around him that would improve. 
    AMB has great reflexes and that's it. I reckon he could dodge a bullet shot out of a gun if it was near enough but anything outside of the box he's useless at. I actually think overall he's a really poor keeper. His communication and organisation skills are terrible, he seems to make the defenders around him more jittery with his presence. I don't care so much about distribution at L1 level but his is very poor. He makes bizarre, rash decisions and he gets hurt a lot more than a keeper should, I think the line between bravery and poor judgement is non-existent with him. I'd hoped for more from Isted than we got but despite him being fairly poor he still managed to keep more clean sheets than AMB in fewer games and our team looked visibly calmer with him there. You can argue that we had improved personnel and a new manager but there's a reason Jones chose him in the first place.
    25 appearances last season. 41 conceded and two clean sheets is incredibly poor. He was dropped early on in the season and our results immediately improved before he was forced back in and was part of a defence that would concede late on without fail, you could feel the nerves at the back every time. Isted conceded 24 goals in 21 games with 3 clean sheets and no-one even rates him either. I don't want either of them in goal for us but you could put a mop with a face drawn on it in goal and it would probably deflect the odd shot and concede a load, and it would communicate as much, come for as many crosses and cost a lot less in wages than AMB.
  • Jac_52 said:
    thenewbie said:
    I think I’m in a minority on here but I think AMB is a much better keeper than Isted. 
    He saves shots whereas Isted pretty much never does ! 
    The mask thing is not helpful, it would be much better if he could play without it. 
    His distribution is a weakness but with better more confident defenders around him that would improve. 
    Problem is that saving shots is literally all he does. And yes he's a keeper so saving shots is his job, but that's not ALL of his job in the current game.

Setting up attacks and getting things moving is part of his game. He doesn't do that well.

Organising and leading his defence is also part of his game. Not only does he NOT do this he seems to be actively making it worse as none of our defenders seem to know if he'll come for a ball or not in any given situation (to be fair, neither does he so you can't blame them.)

Those confident defenders would become much less so with him behind them. If we had to use two out of the three keepers we've currently got, AMB would be the one to go.... and that's not because I rate the other two highly.

AMB isn't even good at saving shots though.

AMB save percentage last season 66%. 41 conceded in 25 games. 2 clean sheets.

Isted save percentage last season 68%. 24 conceded in 21 games. 3 clean sheets.

Mannion save percentage last season 73%. 15 conceded in 14 games. 4 clean sheets.
    I think Isted's save percentage is a bit deceptive. His issue wasn't really making the saves last season, it was a tendency to push the saves back into dangerous areas
  • Maybe there is a decent goalkeeper in a prem club on the fringes of their squad we could get on loan.
  • edited July 10
    LTKapal said:
    Been training with Aldershot this pre season 
  • So, what’s the consensus on AMB and Isted as keepers?

Anyone got any opinions, surprised there’s been no discussion?
    Would be disappointed if they were still here at the end of the window, really
  • Sponsored links:

• shirty5 said:
    LTKapal said:
    Been training with Aldershot this pre season 
    He wouldn’t leave QPR for us? As I understand it he turned down a contract there.
  • AMB is OK.  He can be incredibly slow to distibute the ball.  He also dwells on the ball too long and appears to be wasting time even when we are losing!  If he could improve his distribution and speed up a bit he'd be fine (IMO).
  • So, what’s the consensus on AMB and Isted as keepers?

Discussing Charlton footballers on the Charlton football forum. Whatever next.
  • AMB is a good shot stopper but does not command the 6 yard box. If he can be coached to be more vocal with his defenders, more aggressive coming for high balls, etc. he'd be a much better proposition.
  • DDOUBLEE said:
    So, what’s the consensus on AMB and Isted as keepers?

Would be disappointed if they were still here at the end of the window, really
    Whoosh;)
  • Isted (27):

Games - 111
    Goals Conceded - 159
    Clean Sheets - 27

AMB (25):

Games - 107
    Goals Conceded - 157
    Clean Sheets - 18

Mannion (26)

Games - 98
    Goals Conceded - 142
    Clean Sheets - 25

None of them reek number 1 to me. 
    Not sure it’s all about stats when it comes to keepers. 
  • sam3110 said:
    AMB has the "youth player" bias, he's just as, if not more shit than Isted. Both aren't good enough for a promotion chasing team but at least Isted is average to below across all attributes, AMB is a slightly above average shot stopper and is terrible at everything else
    Agreed, if we had bought AMB from Lincoln he’d get a lot more stick. 
  • Christ, how injured must you be to fail a medical at Charlton.

The disabled sticker on his car was a clue and the guide dog.
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!